Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ctrabs0114

Re: WN's Upcoming Winter Schedule Release on 5/31

Tue May 22, 2018 2:25 am

cvgComair wrote:
Supposedly the CVG-PHX service was supposed to go year round, but that never happened. DL must have scared them off the route, but I will be curious to see if they try adding it back in this extension.

CVG-PHX was apparently to be a seasonal service timed around Reds' spring training in Arizona. I can't recall any talk about that route going year-round.
2019: DAL, MCI, PHX, LAS, DFW, SAT, ORD, SLC, SEA, DTW, PHL, MIA, LAX; B73G (WN x3), B738 (WN, AA, DL), A20N (NK), MD83 (AA), B788 (AA x2), CS1 (DL), B739 (DL), B712 (DL), B752 (AA), B763 (AA), B77W (AA), B789 (AA)
Next: TBA

Zidane

Tue May 22, 2018 2:33 am

Balloonchaser wrote:
Could this be the Caribbean Expansion?

I feel like WN would start in the Caribbean right before Christmas and pull a Winter/Spring Seasonal..

This has been hinted from time to time. Expansion into the Eastern Caribbean comes to mind, I was reliably informed that UVF is in the bucket list.

Balloonchaser

Tue May 22, 2018 3:03 am

[twoid][/twoid]
Zidane wrote:
Balloonchaser wrote:

I feel like WN would start in the Caribbean right before Christmas and pull a Winter/Spring Seasonal..

This has been hinted from time to time. Expansion into the Eastern Caribbean comes to mind, I was reliably informed that UVF is in the bucket list.

Apparently SXM is a focus city for them from what I’ve heard... This was before Irma though...

Buffalomatt1027

Tue May 22, 2018 3:56 am

Buffalo / BNIA should be interesting ..... Frontier has kind of stepped on their toes so to speak with all the Florida flights. Gotta wonder if WN responds with more flights or destinations.

WN732

Tue May 22, 2018 5:18 am

MIAFLLPBIFlyer wrote:
WN732 wrote:
PAE should be opening sometime in September. As others have stated above, I would expect to see something about it in this release.

Based on the announcements of intended service PAE will be at capacity within months of opening.

Exactly. How many airports can you name that had similar results?

Jshank83

Tue May 22, 2018 8:44 am

Zidane wrote:
Balloonchaser wrote:

November is when they started STL/BNA-CUN last year so this seems like when they could announce some new Caribbean routes. BNA went seasonal but I would guess it comes back here.

Besides that I don't have any guesses. This time of year seems like not a ton gets added.

Balloonchaser

Tue May 22, 2018 10:54 am

I’m thinking ISP-LAS and bulking up on the ISP-Florida Routes again... Maybe a spot at DCA will free up for Southwest to add ISP-DCA

WaywardMemphian

Tue May 22, 2018 1:57 pm

jplatts wrote:
Southwest had said on February 20, 2018 that it plans on further expansion at LAS, but Southwest has stated that it has no plans on adding nonstop service to Hawaii or international destinations from LAS in the near future. WN could add LAS-CVG, LAS-MEM, LAS-RIC, and LAS-PAE nonstop service, and WN could bring back LAS-JAX, LAS-MHT, LAS-ORF, LAS-PVD, and LAS-IAD nonstop service. WN could also extend LAS-LGB and LAS-MSP nonstop service to year-round daily nonstop service.

While WN hasn't yet expanded RIC beyond the RIC-ATL nonstop route acquired by the WN-FL merger or the RIC-MCO nonstop route that has been brought back on a seasonal basis, RIC is located in a big enough market to support nonstop service to more than just ATL on WN. WN does have opportunities to add nonstop service to MDW, DEN, LAS, BNA, and TPA from RIC in addition to the existing RIC-ATL nonstop service.

There are some more nonstop routes (in addition to already announced routes or upcoming Hawaii routes) that WN could add out of California in order to better compete against AS, including SFO-BWI, SFO-IAD, OAK-BOS, OAK-PHL, OAK-RDU, OAK-IAD, SJC-EWR, SJC-RDU, SJC-TUS, SJC-IAD, LAX-FLL, LAX-EWR, LAX-PHL, LAX-SEA, LAX-IAD, SAN-BOS, SAN-MSP, and SAN-OMA.

WN does have opportunities to add additional nonstop routes out of TPA, including nonstop service to TPA from CVG, CLE, ORF, OAK, and RIC.

WN could bring back HOU-LBB daily nonstop service on a year-round basis. There is also enough demand for WN to bring back HOU-PHL nonstop service since PHL is one of the top destinations traveled to from HOU that isn't currently served nonstop from HOU, since the O&D demand for HOU-PHL is almost as big as the O&D demand for DAL-PHL, and since WN now has nonstop international routes out of HOU.

I am surprised that WN hasn't already added HOU-PUJ nonstop service with HOU being one of the major international gateways for WN and with WN already serving PUJ nonstop from ATL, BWI, MDW, and FLL. HOU-PUJ nonstop service will likely be one of the next international adds that WN will make at HOU, and I expect WN to be announcing HOU-PUJ nonstop service sometime soon.

WN had also stated that it is considering adding HOU-CLE nonstop service and nonstop service to Texas destinations from CVG. WN could add HOU-CVG and HOU-CLE nonstop service since WN would be able to connect passengers to AUS, SAT, MAF, ELP, CRP, HRL, and international destinations from CVG and CLE if WN added HOU-CVG and HOU-CLE nonstop service. In addition, WN also has opportunities to add nonstop service to DTW, MSP, and SMF from HOU.

I would love MEM/LAS, especially if it had a decent no plane change West Coast origination and destination. The weekday DEN flights will offer no plane change to LAX but the return flights from DEN start at PDX. If they added MEM/LAS I'd love the LAS to MEM to start at an LA area airport. I'd love to see the MEM to LAS continue on to SAN or OAK/SFO.

Love playing connect the dots

Could we see MEM/ATL one day? That would connect some southeastern dots better and go piss off Delta like they did at BNA.

wnflyguy

Tue May 22, 2018 3:29 pm

My predictions and Guesses for November/December Schedule.

PAE 3 OAK, 2 DEN
LGB (depending on slots going with the minimum of 4) 1 MDW,2 LAS, 1 DEN or 2 SJC, 1 LAS, 1 DEN.
DCA 1 RSW, 1 PBI, 2 ISP or 2 MHT
LGA 2 CMH, 2 FLL ,2 MCO 1 MCI , 1 OMA

EWR-BWI returning 3 flights.

Flyguy
My Wings are clipped just another Retired Airline person. The Ultimate Armchair out of the loop airline industry geek. Aloha Mr Hand!

LotsaRunway

Tue May 22, 2018 6:39 pm

wnflyguy wrote:

PAE 3 OAK, 2 DEN
LGB (depending on slots going with the minimum of 4) 1 MDW,2 LAS, 1 DEN or 2 SJC, 1 LAS, 1 DEN.

Flyguy

Seem like pretty reasonable guesses. I might add more to FLL, but I always seem to think WN should do more at FL then they decide to do every extension.
We know PAE and LGB are getting a certain number of flights. SNA has a few short term slots to fill. And there are some slots at DCA and LGA that WN now has to play with. LAS has some gates opening soon.

WN's strategy at LGA, EWR and DCA still has me a little confused. I expected that with limited slots, WN would focus on a few core routes and try to dominate them. They sort of seem to be trying that at LGA and EWR, but they are spreading DCA pretty thin around to second tier cities like BDL and PVD. It will be interesting to see if they keep going in that direction. I figured that with BOS-LGA-DCA in the network, that they would make a run at doing a shuttle like they did in California.

wnflyguy

Tue May 22, 2018 6:57 pm

LotsaRunway wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:

PAE 3 OAK, 2 DEN

Flyguy

Seem like pretty reasonable guesses. I might add more to FLL, but I always seem to think WN should do more at FL then they decide to do every extension.
We know PAE and LGB are getting a certain number of flights. SNA has a few short term slots to fill. And there are some slots at DCA and LGA that WN now has to play with. LAS has some gates opening soon.

WN's strategy at LGA, EWR and DCA still has me a little confused. I expected that with limited slots, WN would focus on a few core routes and try to dominate them. They sort of seem to be trying that at LGA and EWR, but they are spreading DCA pretty thin around to second tier cities like BDL and PVD. It will be interesting to see if they keep going in that direction. I figured that with BOS-LGA-DCA in the network, that they would make a run at doing a shuttle like they did in California.

I could also see WN doing DCA-BDL(2) DCA-MHT (2). It's seems like the PVD-DCA experiment is getting better business yields than PVD-BWI.
But I wouldn't be surprised to see 4 DCA-BOS either.

It's definitely a head scratcher wondering if they will play it safe add Midwest and FL or double down dropping DCA-PVD Run 6 daily BOS-DCA and 6 BOS-LGA.

Flyguy
My Wings are clipped just another Retired Airline person. The Ultimate Armchair out of the loop airline industry geek. Aloha Mr Hand!

WNflyer1523

Tue May 22, 2018 7:05 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
I could also see WN doing DCA-BDL(2) DCA-MHT (2). It's seems like the PVD-DCA experiment is getting better business yields than PVD-BWI.

It's definitely a head scratcher wondering if the will play it safe or double down dropping DCA-PVD Run 6 daily BOS-DCA and 6 BOS-LGA.

Flyguy

I thought about DCA-BDL too, but seeing as it's served 8 times a day on both AA and B6 I don't think they'd want to risk it.
And for DCA-ISP, I could only see it at 1x daily. U.S. Airways had it at 2x daily on the CRJ2, and even increased it to 3x daily. The route did very well, and was common with business travelers and local politicians. (They were forced to drop the route due to slot restrictions from the merger)

jplatts

Tue May 22, 2018 7:22 pm

WaywardMemphian wrote:
Could we see MEM/ATL one day? That would connect some southeastern dots better and go piss off Delta like they did at BNA.

FL used to serve ATL nonstop from MEM prior to the switchover from the AirTran brand to the Southwest brand at MEM. When MEM was switched over from the AirTran to the Southwest brand, WN added MEM-MDW, MEM-HOU, and MEM-TPA nonstop service, and FL's MEM-ATL nonstop service was dropped.

If WN did add MEM-ATL nonstop service under the WN brand, WN would be able to more easily connect passengers to LGA, PHL, DCA, IAD, RIC, GSP, JAX, RSW, and FLL from MEM. I am unsure if WN adding MEM-ATL nonstop service will actually happen anytime soon, but WN could add MEM-ATL to improve competition on air travel between MEM and the East Coast.

evank516

Tue May 22, 2018 7:24 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
LotsaRunway wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:

PAE 3 OAK, 2 DEN

Flyguy

It's definitely a head scratcher wondering if they will play it safe add Midwest and FL or double down dropping DCA-PVD Run 6 daily BOS-DCA and 6 BOS-LGA.

Flyguy

WN would be eaten alive on BOS-LGA. They're going up against DL and AA's shuttle ops with B6 at about 6 daily flights too, not to mention all three of them have a hefty schedule to BOS from JFK as well. There's no way WN would make it on this route.

I'll give you LGA-MCI. This route is in desperate need of a second flight.

tphuang

Tue May 22, 2018 7:29 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
LotsaRunway wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:

PAE 3 OAK, 2 DEN

Flyguy

Flyguy

Sorry WN will get eaten alive on those shuttles along BOS/LGA/DCA. And out of FLL, the reason they haven't added more is because B6 is crushing them. The new routes they have added out of FLL really haven't performed well.

MIAFLLPBIFlyer

Tue May 22, 2018 7:54 pm

tphuang wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:
LotsaRunway wrote:

Flyguy

Sorry WN will get eaten alive on those shuttles along BOS/LGA/DCA. And out of FLL, the reason they haven't added more is because B6 is crushing them. The new routes they have added out of FLL really haven't performed well.

My view is that WN need more connections to make FLL work. B6 is crushing them with O&D in this area. But that's not really shocking if you consider the long term reputations of both WN and B6 in the Miami area. B6 is seen by some almost as a boutique carrier and people I know drive from even south of MIA 35-40 miles to fly them instead of AA from MIA if they are both on a route and the fare is similar.

WN on the other hand still has the rep of a bad LCC for some in south Florida. I like WN personally but it's an odd thing the reputations that have developed in this region which is a unique place demographically and so isolated from the rest of the country in many ways. Many still think of WN circa late 1990's rather than a carrier that has evolved into one of the best experiences in the domestic air IMO. They conflate WN and NK as being similar when in fact the products are vastly different. I know many may not want to hear this but it's just a reality on the ground here - some people are snobs and B6 has always in the region had a hip, fresh feel to it. As I said even people from Miami drive to Lauderdale often to fly them.

jetero

Tue May 22, 2018 7:58 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
jplatts wrote:
INFINITI329 wrote:
I don't see the allure to WN operating CMH-LGA. Especially seeing how the largest aircraft on the route are CR9s &E175s. I rather see some more Florida service. I think making LGA-FLL 2x daily is essential if WN intends to compete for Caribbean bound NYC traffic.

WN does have nonstop service to MDW from CMH, but almost all of the nonstop service between CMH and ORD is on regional jets. However, UA does operate 1 mainline nonstop a day in each direction between CMH and ORD.

While UA doesn't have any mainline flights to IAD from CMH and while AA doesn't have any mainline flights to DCA from CMH, WN does serve both BWI and DCA nonstop from CMH. AA also doesn't have any nonstop mainline flights to its MIA hub from CMH, but WN and NK both serve FLL nonstop from CMH.

WN will also be starting year-round daily nonstop service to HOU from CMH starting on October 3rd, even though UA doesn't operate any nonstop mainline flights between CMH and IAH.

While F9 has nonstop service to LGA from CVG, DL has seasonal mainline nonstop service to LGA from CVG, and G4 has nonstop service to EWR from CVG, but most of the nonstop service between CVG and NYC on AA, DL, and UA is on regional jets.

There was an article in the Columbus Dispatch titled "Southwest has become John Glenn Airport’s biggest carrier in its 25 years here" published almost a year ago that said that "Ganss said Southwest would like to consider adding service to LaGuardia from Columbus as it gets more 'slots' at the New York airport, which has limited capacity", and that article can be found at http://www.dispatch.com/news/20170602/southwest-has-become-john-glenn-airports-biggest-carrier-in-its-25-years-here.

WN can add service to everywhere

Hahahahahahahaha, that should save a lot of bandwidth. (Sadly it won't . . . :banghead:)

jplatts

Tue May 22, 2018 8:12 pm

tphuang wrote:

WN could add nonstop service to FLL from additional destinations that are not currently served by B6, including BHM, CVG, GRR, SDF, MEM, ORF, and OMA.

red66mustang

Tue May 22, 2018 8:50 pm

jplatts wrote:
tphuang wrote:

WN could add nonstop service to FLL from additional destinations that are not currently served by B6, including BHM, CVG, GRR, SDF, MEM, ORF, and OMA.

Yes, they could add non-stop service to any city they currently don't serve from FLL in their network :roll:

tphuang

Tue May 22, 2018 9:41 pm

MIAFLLPBIFlyer wrote:
tphuang wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:

Flyguy

My view is that WN need more connections to make FLL work. B6 is crushing them with O&D in this area. But that's not really shocking if you consider the long term reputations of both WN and B6 in the Miami area. B6 is seen by some almost as a boutique carrier and people I know drive from even south of MIA 35-40 miles to fly them instead of AA from MIA if they are both on a route and the fare is similar.

WN on the other hand still has the rep of a bad LCC for some in south Florida. I like WN personally but it's an odd thing the reputations that have developed in this region which is a unique place demographically and so isolated from the rest of the country in many ways. Many still think of WN circa late 1990's rather than a carrier that has evolved into one of the best experiences in the domestic air IMO. They conflate WN and NK as being similar when in fact the products are vastly different. I know many may not want to hear this but it's just a reality on the ground here - some people are snobs and B6 has always in the region had a hip, fresh feel to it. As I said even people from Miami drive to Lauderdale often to fly them.

from what I can see, WN does well out of FLL when the other side is a decent sized WN station. In some cases, it has lower yields than B6 even on routes like AUS/LAS where it's far and away the largest carrier. That tells me B6 really dominates them in terms of grabbing point of sale at FLL. And when it comes to Caribbean routes, B6 will win on any mostly VFR routes, since WN's domestic advantages will not matter. And you can see they have not even bothered with adding any VFR destinations out of FLL. That limits how large of a hub FLL can grow into. And it has to do well on leisure destinations on 1-stop routes from its focus cities. Since they don't do transcon out of FLL, they are limited to east coast/middle of the country connection itineraries. WN at FLL is competing against any non-stop options, AA at MIA/DFW, DL at ATL, UA at IAH as well as B6 at MCO/FLL. That's not exactly a high yielding group. And even in the leisure routes they have added, the LF is noticeably lower than that of B6.

airliner371

Tue May 22, 2018 9:59 pm

My Predictions:
PAE: 3 OAK, 2 DEN/LAX
LGA: 2 FLL, 2 CMH or IND, 1 MSY, 1 MCI
DCA: Really a gamble but I'll go with 2 IND, 1 PBI & 1 RSW. But I wouldn't be surprised if they do any of BUF, MHT, ISP, or additional frequencies on current routes.
LGB: Don't know how many flights they will get but if we're going with 4, I'll say 2 LAS, 2 DEN.
EWR: I could see some changes. BWI, ATL, SAT, LAS, SMF, CUN or SJU all seem like possibilities.

freakyrat

Tue May 22, 2018 10:10 pm

stlgph wrote:
Oh good, so we're already off and running on the endless naming of random cities where Southwest can add service. Put me down for Peoria to Spokane.

I got a good chuckle out of your comment. I might add one also. South Bend to Denver. Much more viable on the right sized aircraft.

LotsaRunway

Tue May 22, 2018 10:24 pm

tphuang wrote:
MIAFLLPBIFlyer wrote:
tphuang wrote:

from what I can see, WN does well out of FLL when the other side is a decent sized WN station. In some cases, it has lower yields than B6 even on routes like AUS/LAS where it's far and away the largest carrier. That tells me B6 really dominates them in terms of grabbing point of sale at FLL. And when it comes to Caribbean routes, B6 will win on any mostly VFR routes, since WN's domestic advantages will not matter. And you can see they have not even bothered with adding any VFR destinations out of FLL. That limits how large of a hub FLL can grow into. And it has to do well on leisure destinations on 1-stop routes from its focus cities. Since they don't do transcon out of FLL, they are limited to east coast/middle of the country connection itineraries. WN at FLL is competing against any non-stop options, AA at MIA/DFW, DL at ATL, UA at IAH as well as B6 at MCO/FLL. That's not exactly a high yielding group. And even in the leisure routes they have added, the LF is noticeably lower than that of B6.

I admittedly don't know the local O&D dynamics at FLL, but it seems to me that WN decided to use it as a major Caribbean connecting point and then never really built up the domestic part. I would assume they need a critical mass and can't commit to growing to that point because they can't beat B6 in the transition. If that is the case, then WN should shift Caribbean connections to another location because a lot of their network can't get there with what they currently have. Many of the connections they do offer has competition doing nonstops on other airlines. Unless they can fill their planes with O&D at FLL, it's not going to work without feed traffic.

canyonblue17

Tue May 22, 2018 11:02 pm

How about PBI-HOU (used for any connection west, international, the Houston Astros Spring Training in West Palm Beach) and United pulled out of PBI-IAH. How about PBI-MDW, AA already proved it works with 3x daily in season PBI-O'Hare.
negative ghostrider the pattern is full

jplatts

Tue May 22, 2018 11:19 pm

canyonblue17 wrote:
How about PBI-HOU (used for any connection west, international, the Houston Astros Spring Training in West Palm Beach) and United pulled out of PBI-IAH. How about PBI-MDW, AA already proved it works with 3x daily in season PBI-O'Hare.

I agree that WN could add nonstop service to PBI from HOU, and I agree that WN would be able to connect passengers to PBI from other WN destinations in Texas, Oklahoma, Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, and California if it added PBI-HOU nonstop service.

Even though PBI did back Wright Amendment reform efforts 12 years ago, PBI has never had nonstop service to DAL on WN. WN does have room to add Saturday-only nonstop service to PBI from DAL since WN only currently does around 140 daily departures out of DAL on Saturdays. WN could also add Saturday-only nonstop service to PBI from DAL.

tphuang

Wed May 23, 2018 12:49 am

LotsaRunway wrote:
tphuang wrote:
MIAFLLPBIFlyer wrote:

I admittedly don't know the local O&D dynamics at FLL, but it seems to me that WN decided to use it as a major Caribbean connecting point and then never really built up the domestic part. I would assume they need a critical mass and can't commit to growing to that point because they can't beat B6 in the transition. If that is the case, then WN should shift Caribbean connections to another location because a lot of their network can't get there with what they currently have. Many of the connections they do offer has competition doing nonstops on other airlines. Unless they can fill their planes with O&D at FLL, it's not going to work without feed traffic.

It's just my opinion that they should've picked MCO as their Latin American gateway. B6 kind of beat them to the punch at FLL and has now hit somewhat of a critical mass there and have more gates. They seem to be directing all TPA/MCO traffic through FLL to boost their operation there. WN has a lot of money so I don't see them turning back on these initiatives. I just think there is a limit to how large they can build FLL without a plane that can fly deep into South America, without VFR destinations and without local point of sale. At least at MCO, they have gates and local point of sale.

mwmav8r01

Wed May 23, 2018 12:52 am

STL still has some key gaps. STL.JAX/IND/CVG/SLC/ABQ and PBI. It would be nice to see STL get some more LUV. Maybe even CUN go back to daily too.

jplatts

Wed May 23, 2018 1:14 am

tphuang wrote:
It's just my opinion that they should've picked MCO as their Latin American gateway. B6 kind of beat them to the punch at FLL and has now hit somewhat of a critical mass there and have more gates. They seem to be directing all TPA/MCO traffic through FLL to boost their operation there. WN has a lot of money so I don't see them turning back on these initiatives. I just think there is a limit to how large they can build FLL without a plane that can fly deep into South America, without VFR destinations and without local point of sale. At least at MCO, they have gates and local point of sale.

I agree that WN could expand internationally at MCO, and WN could add nonstop service to CUN, SJO, LIR, NAS, GCM, PUJ, and AUA from MCO. There are also some destinations that have nonstop service to MCO on WN but not to FLL on WN. If WN adds nonstop service to more international destinations from MCO, WN would be able to connect passengers to international destinations from more places through MCO than it would be able to do through FLL.

jplatts

Wed May 23, 2018 1:50 am

mwmav8r01 wrote:
STL still has some key gaps. STL.JAX/IND/CVG/SLC/ABQ and PBI. It would be nice to see STL get some more LUV. Maybe even CUN go back to daily too.

There was an article in the WSJ that said that WN had plans on adding more flights out of CLT once additional gates are opened at CLT. WN could also add STL-CLT nonstop service, and both US and TW used to serve CLT nonstop from STL prior to the AA-TW and AA-US mergers. STL can probably support more than just AA on STL-CLT nonstop service since STL used to have nonstop service from CLT on more than 1 airline in the past and since WN has significantly expanded at STL subsequent to the AA dehubbing at STL.

I also agree that WN could possibly bring back nonstop service to ABQ and SLC from STL since WN did bring back some previously discontinued routes out of STL and since WN did previously serve ABQ and SLC from STL.

barney captain

Wed May 23, 2018 2:34 am

Hahahahahahahaha, that should save a lot of bandwidth. (Sadly it won't . . . :banghead:)

No kidding! Sadly, the intended audience isn't listening - as evidenced by the subsequent post.

I will be curious to see how the PAE schedule pans out.
Southeast Of Disorder

msycajun

Wed May 23, 2018 2:35 am

barney captain wrote:

No kidding! Sadly, the intended audience isn't listening - as evidenced by the subsequent post.

I will be curious to see how the PAE schedule pans out.

It's a bot, I wish the mods would ban it...so many useless posts

SteveXC500

Wed May 23, 2018 2:44 pm

Anyone heard of any legitimate MSP rumors?

MIAFLLPBIFlyer

Wed May 23, 2018 2:51 pm

jplatts wrote:
tphuang wrote:

I agree that WN could expand internationally at MCO, and WN could add nonstop service to CUN, SJO, LIR, NAS, GCM, PUJ, and AUA from MCO. There are also some destinations that have nonstop service to MCO on WN but not to FLL on WN. If WN adds nonstop service to more international destinations from MCO, WN would be able to connect passengers to international destinations from more places through MCO than it would be able to do through FLL.

FLL was chosen over MCO for the prospect of higher-fare local O&D passengers. But with jetBlue so strong in the entire Miami Metropolitan area from a perception standpoint (again I reiterate I know business people in Miami who drive to Lauderdale just to fly B6 if they can...that's like people in Manhattan going to Newark to fly United if you want a rough example of how interesting that is) it perhaps would have been smarter to sacrifice potential yields for reliable loads. But then the added complication of mixing in low-far tourist travel to MCO with connecting business travel to Latin America and the Caribbean comes into play. The FLL international hub isn't off to a great start for WN but always knew the competition would be intense and perhaps the other limitation on MCO made that a non-starter. It's hard to know if WN got a do-over if they'd have just plopped down in MCO. It's also worth remembering B6 began flying to Latin America from MCO before FLL but made a determination that in order to capture business and O&D, FLL was a much better bet. WN seems to have made the same determination, however being late to the party might be the ultimate reason they're struggling.

cledaybuck

Wed May 23, 2018 3:03 pm

tphuang wrote:
LotsaRunway wrote:
tphuang wrote:

Let's not overblow things here. WN carried the most domestic passengers at FLL for the latest DOT 12 month reporting period. It's not like they are trying to build from nothing here. They have a good base to start from, but B6 certainly isn't going to back down and NK probably won't either.
As we celebrate mediocrity, all the boys upstairs want to see, how much you'll pay for what you used to get for free.

jplatts

Wed May 23, 2018 3:19 pm

SteveXC500 wrote:

I am not aware of any legitimate MSP rumors, but WN could add MSP-SAN nonstop service in order to better compete against AS at SAN.

In addition, WN could also add MSP-HOU nonstop service. DL actually currently has more nonstop service to MSP from IAH than UA does, and WN would be able to capture more of the O&D between MSP and HOU on the Houston side if it added MSP-HOU nonstop service. MSP is also the largest WN station outside of California that has never had nonstop service to HOU on WN. There is less competition on MSP-IAH/HOU than there is on MSP-DFW/DAL since NK only operates MSP-IAH nonstop service on a seasonal basis and since SY does not serve IAH or HOU. WN also would be able to connect passengers to international destinations and some of the Texas destinations from MSP through HOU if it added MSP-HOU nonstop service.

tphuang

Wed May 23, 2018 3:28 pm

MIAFLLPBIFlyer wrote:
It's also worth remembering B6 began flying to Latin America from MCO before FLL but made a determination that in order to capture business and O&D, FLL was a much better bet. WN seems to have made the same determination, however being late to the party might be the ultimate reason they're struggling.

And it's turned out that even though it took them a while to figure it out, they eventually came to the right conclusion and made the decision to expand at FLL before WN did. And it has paid off significantly. FLL has now been generating above system average RASM 6 quarters in a row and is getting close to BOS level in profit margins. Hard to see how WN can capture the high yielding crowd when B6 dominates the North East to FLL market along with mint on transcon market. It's far more likely B6 will continue to siphon high yielding customers off AA than loosing them to WN at this point.

In the end, it's all about making the right strategic decision about where to pour your resources. And FLL is a more favourable environment for B6 than MCO given the huge connection between NYC and South Florida. Their MCO has suffered recently due to underinvestment, but I think B6 is happy with its decision at this point. And if WN doesn't start adding international flights to MCO, it will give B6 a chance to close gap at MCO once it moves into the new terminal.

cledaybuck wrote:
Let's not overblow things here. WN carried the most domestic passengers at FLL for the latest DOT 12 month reporting period. It's not like they are trying to build from nothing here. They have a good base to start from, but B6 certainly isn't going to back down and NK probably won't either.

well, WN runs a more connection based operation at FLL than B6. Think about the 10 flights between FLL-MCO/TPA that's probably all connection based which is inflating their domestic passenger count. And also B6 has longer staged flights and has quite a few partners feeding their flight. Just to give you an idea of WN's uphill battle at FLL, B6 is yielding 40 to 50% higher on EWR-FLL, whereas WN is only yielding 5 to 15% higher on BWI-FLL. WN doesn't really fly to any other airports where B6 has real advantage.

FlyPNS1

Wed May 23, 2018 3:50 pm

tphuang wrote:
[
Think about the 10 flights between FLL-MCO/TPA that's probably all connection based which is inflating their domestic passenger count.

Depending on the time of year, WN carries between 300-500 local O&D passengers on FLL-TPA, so not entirely connection based.

MIAFLLPBIFlyer

Wed May 23, 2018 4:56 pm

FlyPNS1 wrote:
tphuang wrote:
[
Think about the 10 flights between FLL-MCO/TPA that's probably all connection based which is inflating their domestic passenger count.

Depending on the time of year, WN carries between 300-500 local O&D passengers on FLL-TPA, so not entirely connection based.

Yeah you'd be surprised how many people still use this routing locally on both ends even thought the drive is only 3 1/2 hours making it for many just an hour long than driving to TPA or FLL, going through security, etc.

SteveXC500

Wed May 23, 2018 6:10 pm

jplatts wrote:
SteveXC500 wrote:

I am not aware of any legitimate MSP rumors, but WN could add MSP-SAN nonstop service in order to better compete against AS at SAN.

In addition, WN could also add MSP-HOU nonstop service. DL actually currently has more nonstop service to MSP from IAH than UA does, and WN would be able to capture more of the O&D between MSP and HOU on the Houston side if it added MSP-HOU nonstop service. MSP is also the largest WN station outside of California that has never had nonstop service to HOU on WN. There is less competition on MSP-IAH/HOU than there is on MSP-DFW/DAL since NK only operates MSP-IAH nonstop service on a seasonal basis and since SY does not serve IAH or HOU. WN also would be able to connect passengers to international destinations and some of the Texas destinations from MSP through HOU if it added MSP-HOU nonstop service.

I get they "could" but there is nothing to substantiate your comments, other than a dartboard guess. That's not how Southwest works, IMO.

greenair727

Wed May 23, 2018 6:14 pm

CLE-MCI/SAN. Each flight would be completely full. Amazed no one is on these routes.

jplatts

Wed May 23, 2018 6:31 pm

SteveXC500 wrote:
I get they "could" but there is nothing to substantiate your comments, other than a dartboard guess. That's not how Southwest works, IMO.

I agree with your point, but WN has recently expanded its domestic operation at HOU. WN will also be extending HOU-CMH nonstop service to daily, year-round nonstop service starting on October 3rd, and WN will be starting HOU-SDF nonstop service on October 3rd. I think that WN adding HOU-MSP nonstop service could happen within the next 2 years since WN is still expanding domestically at HOU.

Jshank83

Wed May 23, 2018 8:08 pm

mwmav8r01 wrote:

JAX I could see just because F9 just added it and WN could probably push them off of it pretty easily. Plus it's the highest PDEW not served from STL. I would normally think it would be a spring add but maybe F9 adding it pushes it up. PBI I think stays as a March, Saturday only route. The rest are dart throws for me. I wouldn't be surprised if the come (except maybe SLC) but I also wouldn't be surprised if they aren't added for 5 years.

SteveXC500

Wed May 23, 2018 9:09 pm

jplatts wrote:
SteveXC500 wrote:

I agree with your point, but WN has recently expanded its domestic operation at HOU. WN will also be extending HOU-CMH nonstop service to daily, year-round nonstop service starting on October 3rd, and WN will be starting HOU-SDF nonstop service on October 3rd. I think that WN adding HOU-MSP nonstop service could happen within the next 2 years since WN is still expanding domestically at HOU.

could happen in the next 2 years, 10 years, 50 years...I trust they will make a decision based upon their own model for route selection, not our a.net wishes.

izbtmnhd

Thu May 24, 2018 12:11 am

tphuang wrote:
INFINITI329 wrote:
jplatts wrote:

WN had said last year that it wanted to add CMH-LGA nonstop service it if could acquire extra slots at LGA, and WN will likely be announcing CMH-LGA nonstop service next week.

I don't see the allure to WN operating CMH-LGA. Especially seeing how the largest aircraft on the route are CR9s &E175s. I rather see some more Florida service. I think making LGA-FLL 2x daily is essential if WN intends to compete for Caribbean bound NYC traffic.

They would get destroyed on that route. I guess it didn’t stop them from adding ewr fll, which they are definitely getting destroyed on. If they want to loose money undercutting b6 and dl in the nyc to Caribbean market, they can go right ahead.

I have have to second tp on this too. Sure, it might be easier to fill an MCO-LGA flight compared to CMH but the yields would be poor. WN likely won’t use the LGA slots on FLL/MCO.

EvanWSFO

Thu May 24, 2018 12:35 am

Jshank83 wrote:
mwmav8r01 wrote:

JAX I could see just because F9 just added it and WN could probably push them off of it pretty easily. Plus it's the highest PDEW not served from STL. I would normally think it would be a spring add but maybe F9 adding it pushes it up. PBI I think stays as a March, Saturday only route. The rest are dart throws for me. I wouldn't be surprised if the come (except maybe SLC) but I also wouldn't be surprised if they aren't added for 5 years.

JAX doesn't really need WN to push Frontier out. They start and stop routes very quickly. How they manage to have a fan base amazes me.
I have been on this site 15 years. A unrecoverable email account led me to starting over. Those of you who call me a rookie, you may stop ok?

MIAFLLPBIFlyer

Thu May 24, 2018 1:21 am

canyonblue17 wrote:

I've wondered for a long while why we haven't seen PBI-HOU/DAL even given a season or two to prove its worth.

lavalampluva

Thu May 24, 2018 2:04 am

Maybe DAL-MSP will be upgraded from only 1 day per week. But then that might have to do with gate space at DAL?
Remind me to send a thank you note to Mr. Boeing.

SteveXC500

Thu May 24, 2018 3:17 am

lavalampluva wrote:
Maybe DAL-MSP will be upgraded from only 1 day per week. But then that might have to do with gate space at DAL?

Actually, in the fall it’s gone. The question is whether it will come back!

ctrabs0114

Thu May 24, 2018 3:57 am

Jshank83 wrote:
mwmav8r01 wrote:

I'm wondering if that STL-PBI seasonal service coincides with Cardinals Spring Training in nearby Jupiter.
2019: DAL, MCI, PHX, LAS, DFW, SAT, ORD, SLC, SEA, DTW, PHL, MIA, LAX; B73G (WN x3), B738 (WN, AA, DL), A20N (NK), MD83 (AA), B788 (AA x2), CS1 (DL), B739 (DL), B712 (DL), B752 (AA), B763 (AA), B77W (AA), B789 (AA)
Next: TBA

JetBlueCLT

Thu May 24, 2018 4:25 am

WN732 wrote:
Mboyle1988 wrote:
My life would be swell if they added BOS and CLT out of PHX so I can finally give up AA for good.

I think they would if they had the space to do so. I believe there is no room to budge in their schedule at CLT.

I read WN is picking up a 2nd gate when A North opens up at the end of June. If accurate, they’ll definitely have room for additional flights. They have rights to A6 but they use A4(B6 gate) as well for the early morning departures, only because B6 doesn’t have their first arrival til 920 and doesn’t overnight a plane.
Pittsburgh Penguins, Steelers, Pirates and Charlotte Hornets Fan

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos