UAEflyer
Topic Author

EK to go double daily EWR

Tue May 22, 2018 9:57 am

From June 1 .. In addition to the ATH stop, Emirates to start a Non-stop EWR service, The new flight will operate as follows:-

EK223 DXB-EWR 77W 03:00 09:00
EK224 EWR-DXB 77W 11:50 08:20+1

Bricktop

Re: EK to go double daily EWR

Tue May 22, 2018 10:11 am

Interesting. Not much lead time.

ltbewr

Tue May 22, 2018 10:15 am

Great, that gives pax from the Northern NJ market better access to EK's great service and connections to many destinations, especially to Africa, Asia and Middle East. While UA offers non-stops to India via EWR, I am quite sure EK would be a far better way to get to there vs. other 1-stops and UA for sure.

Slash787

Tue May 22, 2018 10:20 am

Wasn't this announced back in January?
https://www.emirates.com/media-centre/e ... rom-1-june

johhn14

Tue May 22, 2018 10:27 am

Yes. It basically takes a JFK frequency as 1 daily flight was nixed from there.

Bricktop

Tue May 22, 2018 11:09 am

johhn14 wrote:
Yes. It basically takes a JFK frequency as 1 daily flight was nixed from there.

So dropping an A380 to JFK in favor of a 777 to EWR. Probably a good idea to better match supply to demand.
A non-stop to DXB from this side of the Hudson is far more attractive than using ATH, at least to me.

Jayafe

Tue May 22, 2018 11:18 am

Delta crying to the press in 3, 2, 1....

Bricktop

Tue May 22, 2018 11:20 am

Jayafe wrote:

Why? Who else flies non-stop from EWR to DXB? I think Delta LH only flies to AMS and CDG from Newark.

Bricktop

Tue May 22, 2018 12:19 pm

PerfectGriffin wrote:
This was the one replacing the third daily A380 to JFK. If so it appears they have a small capacity reduction to the New York area.

I think it's replacing the fourth, EK207. EK still has 3x as EK201/3/5, all A388s. EK205 stops at MXP, so that's not a non-stop. Still pretty damn good capacity between JFK and EWR, and now a bit better balanced.

PerfectGriffin

Tue May 22, 2018 12:20 pm

This was the one replacing the third daily A380 to JFK. If so it appears they have a small capacity reduction to the New York area.

FriscoHeavy

Tue May 22, 2018 1:05 pm

Bricktop wrote:
Jayafe wrote:

Why? Who else flies non-stop from EWR to DXB? I think Delta LH only flies to AMS and CDG from Newark.

Because Delta whines about everything when one of the ME airlines start a route.
Whatever

dmstorm22

Tue May 22, 2018 1:12 pm

This was announced a while ago.

It's actually a capacity reduction in the NYC area, moving a A388 flight to JFK to a 77W to EWR.

EWR sorely needed a ME3 direct flight given the huge population base in NJ for South Asian travel, but still surprising to see a capacity adjustment rather than just an additional frequency.

BENAir01

Tue May 22, 2018 1:13 pm

This has been known for months. Nothing new.
Why is flying so expensive? And why is flying well so much more?

factsonly

Tue May 22, 2018 1:14 pm

Bricktop wrote:
Jayafe wrote:

Delta dropped EWR-AMS in March 2018, and will drop EWR-CDG in October 2018.

So no more DL Longhaul at EWR.

Irehdna

Tue May 22, 2018 1:56 pm

As was already stated, this is not a new development. EK208 has been in and out for several years now, so no surprise that it is going away.

I think that this flight poses the greatest threat to AI, and not any US3 or European carrier. UA's EWR-DEL/BOM flights are some of the best-performing ULH routes in the system, and both command significant business traffic. Additionally, EWR is a very strong hub that connects to several American cities that do not have transatlantic flights.

The same can't be said about AI. While their hard product in Y is arguably better than UA's operating a non-hub to non-hub ULR route like BOM-EWR is a very bad business strategy, especially without the tag on to AMD. This flight originates in DEL, and if there is any issue in BOM, then they have to send another aircraft in from their DEL hub for this flight. Additionally, while BOM may have more of a diaspora population than DEL, DEL is AI's hub and can conglomerate passengers conviniently from all across India. Many USA-DEL-XXX routings allow final immigration to be done in XXX rather than DEL.

EK has very good and quick connection on EWR-DXB-BOM. UA is well-timed for busniess, so this EK routing shouldn't hurt them. However, the timings are not that far of AI (only slightly earlier departure from EWR). I think it is only a matter of time until this EWR-LHR-AMD and EWR-BOM scheme folds and we see EWR-DEL/BOM-AMD startover again.

WorldFlier

Tue May 22, 2018 2:40 pm

ltbewr wrote:
Great, that gives pax from the Northern NJ market better access to EK's great service and connections to many destinations, especially to Africa, Asia and Middle East. While UA offers non-stops to India via EWR, I am quite sure EK would be a far better way to get to there vs. other 1-stops and UA for sure.

I'll give you the 1-stop on EK being the best one-stop to India, but EWR-DEL and EWR-BOM on United for business travelers is unbeatable.

Adding 12% distance to your trip, plus a couple hour layover in DXB? United Business First on the 777 (2-2-2) is very good, and very competitive to EK's business Class.

Now if you want First Class? EK

NZ321

Tue May 22, 2018 2:45 pm

EK first class is hard to beat. Granted.
Plane mad!

Irehdna

Tue May 22, 2018 2:57 pm

WorldFlier wrote:
ltbewr wrote:

I'll give you the 1-stop on EK being the best one-stop to India, but EWR-DEL and EWR-BOM on United for business travelers is unbeatable.

Adding 12% distance to your trip, plus a couple hour layover in DXB? United Business First on the 777 (2-2-2) is very good, and very competitive to EK's business Class.

Now if you want First Class? EK

Yep, it never fails to surprise me how and why EK is sticking with 2-3-2 business in the 77Ws, considering their A380 business class.

WorldFlier

Irehdna wrote:
And with incoming polaris on the 77E's, the gap between the business class will only increase.

I cannot wait for this day! 2-4-2 only counts as business class because I can lay flat into my (tight) cocoon and use some booze to put myself to sleep...

Irehdna

And with incoming polaris on the 77E's, the gap between the business class will only increase.

dtw2hyd

Tue May 22, 2018 3:45 pm

Irehdna wrote:
As was already stated, this is not a new development. EK208 has been in and out for several years now, so no surprise that it is going away.

I think that this flight poses the greatest threat to AI, and not any US3 or European carrier. UA's EWR-DEL/BOM flights are some of the best-performing ULH routes in the system, and both command significant business traffic. Additionally, EWR is a very strong hub that connects to several American cities that do not have transatlantic flights.

The same can't be said about AI. While their hard product in Y is arguably better than UA's operating a non-hub to non-hub ULR route like BOM-EWR is a very bad business strategy, especially without the tag on to AMD. This flight originates in DEL, and if there is any issue in BOM, then they have to send another aircraft in from their DEL hub for this flight. Additionally, while BOM may have more of a diaspora population than DEL, DEL is AI's hub and can conglomerate passengers conviniently from all across India. Many USA-DEL-XXX routings allow final immigration to be done in XXX rather than DEL.

EK has very good and quick connection on EWR-DXB-BOM. UA is well-timed for busniess, so this EK routing shouldn't hurt them. However, the timings are not that far of AI (only slightly earlier departure from EWR). I think it is only a matter of time until this EWR-LHR-AMD and EWR-BOM scheme folds and we see EWR-DEL/BOM-AMD startover again.

Both AI and UA will do just fine. EK can offer $400 RT to backpackers and hope to attract bottom-feeders.

UA has its own loyal premium FF flyers, they are not going to switch.
AI has its own section of loyal economy and premium flyers, they are not going to switch. Their cultural/ethnic loyalty is towards AI cabin crew, EK cannot mimic same with Eastern European and South East Asia crew. This group is not attracted to anything EK has to offer.

Also, connections at BOM and DEL are far better than DXB. That is just another old a.net myth.

algeorge2015

Tue May 22, 2018 3:48 pm

100% agree with dtw2hyd. For me personally AI B777-300ER economy seating any day over EK Sardine class.

enilria

Tue May 22, 2018 6:38 pm

This is old news and a dupe thread

viewtopic.php?t=1384739

tofur

Wed May 23, 2018 1:15 am

dtw2hyd wrote:

Both AI and UA will do just fine. EK can offer $400 RT to backpackers and hope to attract bottom-feeders.

UA has its own loyal premium FF flyers, they are not going to switch.
AI has its own section of loyal economy and premium flyers, they are not going to switch. Their cultural/ethnic loyalty is towards AI cabin crew, EK cannot mimic same with Eastern European and South East Asia crew. This group is not attracted to anything EK has to offer.

Also, connections at BOM and DEL are far better than DXB. That is just another old a.net myth.

Concur, agree wholeheartedly! The "romantic" idea of luxurious flying with Emirates and Etihad are quickly fading within the South Asian community. All my Desi friends have tried one or both of these carriers and say never again. The reasons are just as you said.

On our flights to Delhi and Mumbai, more than half the crew is staffed with Hindi and Punjabi qualified cabin crew. This means a lot to our passengers, especially the elderly not able to converse easily in English or French. These flights are quite senior because cabin crew enjoy Indian culture and the hospitality of India on the layover.

Over the last few years we have had quite a large number of former Emirates and Etihad crew join our company as cabin crew, or onboard service managers. Most of them held in charge positions. They all say the same thing.....it was extremely difficult to instill cultural sensitivity and respect for other cultures amongst their crews at Emirates and Etihad. They are all happy to be back in Canada.

Antarius

Wed May 23, 2018 1:30 am

dtw2hyd wrote:

Good lord. Is there an extent to how ludicrous your claims will get? What next, CDG is a ultimate hub?

Really makes me wonder if you fly at all. Or just make stuff up behind a keyboard.
2019: SIN HKG NRT DFW IAH HOU CLT LGA JFK SFO SJC EWR SNA EYW MIA BOG LAX ORD DTW OAK PVG BOS DCA IAD ATL LAS BIS CUN PHX OAK SYD CVG PHL MAD ORY CDG SLC SJU BQN DEN DOH BLR MAA KTM YYZ MEX

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos