Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Zoedyn
Topic Author

Royal Brunei Airlines to launch daily nonstop BWN-LHR service starting from Oct 28, with DXB-LHR to be dropped

Tue May 22, 2018 10:14 am

http://aviationtribune.com/airlines/asi ... to-london/
As per the report, Royal Brunei Airlines has announced the launching of daily non-stop flights between Brunei and London effective October 28, 2018.

The non-stop flights will see the round trip travel time reduced by 3.5 hours to and from Brunei and 5.3 hours to and from Melbourne

Accordingly, RB will cease operating DXB-LHR-DXB, but it will continue to provide service to the GCC via DXB and offer 4x weekly Brunei-Dubai-Brunei services effective October 29, 2018

Congrats to RB!

This is part of an on-going trend of increasingly more direct nonstop flights bypassing the ME hubs?

dredgy

Re: Royal Brunei Airlines to launch daily nonstop BWN-LHR service starting from Oct 28, with DXB-LHR to be dropped

Tue May 22, 2018 10:39 am

I used to fly them very often Australia to Dubai (until they dropped DRW and BNE, do rarely still take them from MEL) as they always had great product at rock-bottom prices. But the transit in Brunei is an awful experience unless you book an overnight - I felt so sorry for a woman with her kids last time I flew MEL-BWN-DXB and I got off and she had to get on yet another flight all the way through to London.

If they can keep their prices low out of MEL, this will be a compelling choice for Australian travellers on a budget.

RJBingham

Re: Royal Brunei Airlines to launch daily nonstop BWN-LHR service starting from Oct 28, with DXB-LHR to be dropped

Tue May 22, 2018 10:57 am

Great decision, I like the airline, but have avoided them because of the Dubai stop, they will be back on my go to airlines again after this.

melpax

Tue May 22, 2018 1:20 pm

dredgy wrote:
If they can keep their prices low out of MEL, this will be a compelling choice for Australian travellers on a budget.

They already are - I've seen the likes of Flight Centre & STA advertise MEL-LHR on them for under AUD$1000 at times.

A couple of people I know have flown them to London, they only had good things to say, no on-board booze withstanding. One liked that the 2 stops broke up the flight & he was able to strech his legs, both liked the extra room on board.
Essendon - Whatever it takes......

theginge

Tue May 22, 2018 1:27 pm

Zoedyn wrote:
http://aviationtribune.com/airlines/asia/royal-brunei-airlines-announces-daily-non-stop-service-to-london/

This is part of an on-going trend of increasingly more direct nonstop flights bypassing the ME hubs?

I don't think it is part of a trend of bypassing the ME hubs. Brunei have been flying via Dubai to London for years, long before EK were the size they are now. Part of the reason would have been they didn't have the aircraft to go non stop to London, hence a stop was needed. Now they have the 787 which can do it, although I am surprised it has taken this long as they have had the 787 for a while now.

aviatorcraig

Tue May 22, 2018 1:46 pm

Damn! They were consistantly the cheapest way to get from LHR to Dubai although the timings were brutal.
707 727 Caravelle Comet Concorde Dash-7 DC-9 DC-10 One-Eleven Trident Tristar Tu-134 VC-10 Viscount plus boring stuff!

dredgy

Tue May 22, 2018 3:00 pm

melpax wrote:
dredgy wrote:

They already are - I've seen the likes of Flight Centre & STA advertise MEL-LHR on them for under AUD$1000 at times.

Yes, absolutely they’re super popular now, and a one stop should increase that further if they don’t raise the prices. A fantastic airline product too.
The current stop is brutal, especially on the way back - Brunei airport is one of the most boring places on earth and you’re packed in with a bunch of other travellers and nowhere to go, one crappy cafe and no wifi for up to 8 hours). I haven’t been in two years, so maybe it’s improved, but a crippling stop in Brunei, plus a stop in Dubai makes it one of the most exhausting options to London.

Even flying just to Dubai I would take the money I saved on the airfare and usually spend a day or two in Brunei on the way back if time permitted.

NZ321

Tue May 22, 2018 3:06 pm

I think this is quite a courageous decision... leave it at that.
Plane mad!

juliuswong

Tue May 22, 2018 3:21 pm

One of RB's many legacy routes that have seen significantly changes over the past two decades. The news on operating BWN-LHR non-stop have been going on for ages but previous management had not been daring enough to drop the DXB connection as they were afraid they couldn't fill up the aircraft if it was non-stop. Plus RB paid a significant royalty to Emirates for operating the route. Same as when RB operated BWN-BKK-FRA they paid TG royalty fee.

Back in 1990s and 2000s, RB used to fly BWN-DXB-LHR and BWN-AUH-LHR, BWN-DXB-FRA and BWN-AUH-FRA. All using their B767-300ER fleet. For quite a long period Dubai and Abu Dhabi were scissor hub for RB. Those were the days! Crew love these route patterns!!

By the way, didn't RB recently send their supposedly fifth B787-8 to storage? Anyone knows why they do so?
- Life is a journey, travel it well -

Channex757

Tue May 22, 2018 4:42 pm

juliuswong wrote:
One of RB's many legacy routes that have seen significantly changes over the past two decades. The news on operating BWN-LHR non-stop have been going on for ages but previous management had not been daring enough to drop the DXB connection as they were afraid they couldn't fill up the aircraft if it was non-stop. Plus RB paid a significant royalty to Emirates for operating the route. Same as when RB operated BWN-BKK-FRA they paid TG royalty fee.

Back in 1990s and 2000s, RB used to fly BWN-DXB-LHR and BWN-AUH-LHR, BWN-DXB-FRA and BWN-AUH-FRA. All using their B767-300ER fleet. For quite a long period Dubai and Abu Dhabi were scissor hub for RB. Those were the days! Crew love these route patterns!!

By the way, didn't RB recently send their supposedly fifth B787-8 to storage? Anyone knows why they do so?

If it's only short term storage then Ramadan would explain it, seeing as Brunei is a majority Muslim nation.

[email protected]

Tue May 22, 2018 5:02 pm

E.g. LHR-BWN-MEL and back:

LHR: 1705
BWN: 1440*
BWN: 1900
MEL: 0500*

MEL: 1840
BWN: 2240
BWN: 0015
LHR: 0650
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

flytuitravel

Tue May 22, 2018 5:24 pm

NZ321 wrote:

I echo this!

Hope this works out for them. Do the 787s have crew rest facilities?

pushpakvimaan

Tue May 22, 2018 5:41 pm

theginge wrote:
Zoedyn wrote:
http://aviationtribune.com/airlines/asia/royal-brunei-airlines-announces-daily-non-stop-service-to-london/

I don't think it is part of a trend of bypassing the ME hubs. Brunei have been flying via Dubai to London for years, long before EK were the size they are now. Part of the reason would have been they didn't have the aircraft to go non stop to London, hence a stop was needed. Now they have the 787 which can do it, although I am surprised it has taken this long as they have had the 787 for a while now.

One of the reasons was the runway strength at Brunei airport (BWN). The runway could not support 787-8s at full payload. I am assuming this would have been fixed by now
https://centreforaviation.com/analysis/ ... nch-359827

It would be interesting what new destinations RBA announces in next few months as they receive A320 neos

pushpakvimaan

Tue May 22, 2018 5:43 pm

flytuitravel wrote:
NZ321 wrote:

I echo this!

Hope this works out for them. Do the 787s have crew rest facilities?

The current 787s do not have rest facilities since the crew changes at Dubai. I am guessing the new 787s will have crew rest facilities.

directorguy

Tue May 22, 2018 8:56 pm

I've been seeing the DXB LHR flights for over a decade now....but brutal timings. A red eye from DXB to LHR and an awkward middle of night arrival in DXB on the return. Used to be a 767 route.
I believe currently RB picks up a lot of Philippines-DXB traffic. Wonder if they will retime the 5 am departure out of DXB to BWN.

Qazar

Tue May 22, 2018 10:30 pm

How long would the BWN-LHR-BWN flight be?

xwb777

Tue May 22, 2018 10:45 pm

Qazar wrote:
How long would the BWN-LHR-BWN flight be?

BWN - LHR = 14:35
LHR - BWN = 13:35

Sopwith

Tue May 22, 2018 11:06 pm

Flew Royal Brunei to the UK from Brisbane several years back. They were magnificent. Now you can only go via Melbourne. Have since had several trips over with Etihad and Emirates. Future trips will be via Singapore or Hong Kong. anything to avoid the ME.

juliuswong

Wed May 23, 2018 3:27 am

Adjustment to LHR, DXB and MEL flight schedules:
From Destination Schedule Flight No. Depart* Arrive*
Brunei London Daily BI003 00:15 06:50
London Brunei Daily BI004 17:05 14:40 (+1 day)

Brunei Melbourne Daily BI005 19:00 05:00 (+1 day)
Melbourne Brunei Daily BI006 18:40 22:40

Brunei Dubai Mon, Wed, Fri, Sun BI007 00:20 05:00
Dubai Brunei Mon, Wed, Fri, Sun BI008 06:00 18:00

pushpakvimaan

Thu May 24, 2018 3:33 pm

Very interesting departure timings for Dubai. Probably be first off late night departures for Royal Brunei from BWN. But will connect well with Australia connection.
More Australian destinations expected with A320 NEO
Any update when the new planes will be delivered ? Would be keen to take few pictures

oskarclare

Mon May 28, 2018 11:27 pm

pushpakvimaan wrote:
theginge wrote:
Zoedyn wrote:

One of the reasons was the runway strength at Brunei airport (BWN). The runway could not support 787-8s at full payload. I am assuming this would have been fixed by now
https://centreforaviation.com/analysis/ ... nch-359827

It would be interesting what new destinations RBA announces in next few months as they receive A320 neos

pushpakvimaan wrote:
Very interesting departure timings for Dubai. Probably be first off late night departures for Royal Brunei from BWN. But will connect well with Australia connection.
Any update when the new planes will be delivered ? Would be keen to take few pictures

Brisbane is definitely on the radar and will probably be announced sooner or later with A32N at 4-5x weekly.

juliuswong

Tue May 29, 2018 2:06 am

pushpakvimaan wrote:

Their new A320NEO V8-RBA was delivered few days ago. Their arrival video shows glimpse of interior..I think I saw PTV for J class.

eta unknown

Tue May 29, 2018 9:23 am

The 787's are progressively being fitted with crew rests to enable BWN-LHR nonstop, although I'm surprised to hear BWN runway length is an issue.

Also- paying royalties to EK for DXB-LHR? I thought DXB was an open traffic rights airport.
However, the royalties BI paid to TG for BKK-FRA helped kill the route.

A320Neo additional Australian destinations- this has been on/off for years. I hear they don't really want to do it, but need to keep BWN-LHR full as a sizeable number of MEL pax get off in DXB.

alan3

Wed May 30, 2018 5:12 am

Who is the market for this airline? Point to point? If it's no longer picking up DXB-LHR passengers. Surely Brunei isn't a major hub for Australia or New Zealand?

That's a long way to fly on a Dry airline (not that it should be primary reason for flying of course but still)....

eta unknown

Thu May 31, 2018 8:28 am

Who is this airline for? Well with a home population of under 500,000 people, mainly transit pax. MEL feeds the LHR flight and I imagine MNL will feed the new DXB terminator flight.
Not everyone needs a drink to fly... those that do choose another airline.

hz747300

Thu May 31, 2018 10:47 am

I could see wanting to bypass Dubai as long as DXB is so packed, and maybe bringing it back when DWC is completed. Customers probably appreciate this change if I were guess.
Keep on truckin'...

flytuitravel

Thu May 31, 2018 11:16 am

eta unknown wrote:
The 787's are progressively being fitted with crew rests to enable BWN-LHR nonstop, although I'm surprised to hear BWN runway length is an issue.

Also- paying royalties to EK for DXB-LHR? I thought DXB was an open traffic rights airport.

A320Neo additional Australian destinations- this has been on/off for years. I hear they don't really want to do it, but need to keep BWN-LHR full as a sizeable number of MEL pax get off in DXB.

I understand it is probably safer for them to do Brisbane with the NEO but will they not have a couple of 787s sitting around with nothing to do? LHR and MEL combined would only use 3 787s?

juliuswong

Thu May 31, 2018 12:09 pm

flytuitravel wrote:
eta unknown wrote:

I understand it is probably safer for them to do Brisbane with the NEO but will they not have a couple of 787s sitting around with nothing to do? LHR and MEL combined would only use 3 787s?

Jeddah uses the other one 787...occasionally does some shortie to KUL, SIN, HKG and BKI. Their 5th 787 is now in storage. Never took delivery, maybe Sultan's new VIP jet.

eta unknown

Thu May 31, 2018 1:03 pm

Correct BNE with 787 is deemed too risky. The MEL flight is usually full with cargo. JED only operates seasonal now. New DXB terminator will be interesting with low MNL yields.

pushpakvimaan

Thu May 31, 2018 1:14 pm

I am hoping they start flights to India with A320 Neos

juliuswong

Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:11 am

Reviving an old thread. Hot on the heels in expanding to Seoul, Nanning and Zhengzhou, and launching direct BWN-LHR, Royal Brunei today formally launched Tokyo starting 15 March 2019, three times weekly Wednesday, Friday and Sunday.

Leaving BWN ETD 00 32 ETA 07 30, Returning 12 00, arriving 17 25.

This is Royal Brunei's first Japan destination, after dropping Osaka back in 1998.

Current fleet stands at 5 A320neo, 5 A320ceo and 5 B787. 2 more A320neo will arrive by end of Nov, completing narrowbody replacmenent plan.

During the A320neo formal launching ceremony last night, an A320neo with special livery was also unveiled.

https://www.thebruneian.news/royal-brun ... arch-2019/

[email protected]

Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:51 am

78,340 flew LHR-DXB-BWN and back in 2017, whether they comtinued on or not.Source: CAA
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

sand26391

Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:15 am

pushpakvimaan wrote:

They have planned to start flights to Bengaluru (BLR) in early 2019. Plan is to connect South India (BLR) to Melbourne. As MEL was one of the Top 5 unserved routes from BLR.

juliuswong

Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:43 pm

sand26391 wrote:
pushpakvimaan wrote:

They have planned to start flights to Bengaluru (BLR) in early 2019. Plan is to connect South India (BLR) to Melbourne. As MEL was one of the Top 5 unserved routes from BLR.

Nothing official yet though. All the above are officially announced. However it is good to see BI returning to India. Currently AirAsia, Malaysia Airlines and Singapore Airlines taking all their business.

theobcman

Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:23 pm

Who is actually flying this route ? This must be a limited market ?!? Don’t know anyone who has been to Brunei or transited through there.
With the number of Brits who holiday in UAE (including & have taken BI, me) this dropping of DXB does surprise me. Even with multiple EK/BA/VS competition on LHR.

AirbusOnly

Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:19 pm

Currently MEL-BWN is served by a High Fly Airbus 340 9H-SUN as their 787 are getting crew-rests installed

sand26391

Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:22 pm

juliuswong wrote:
sand26391 wrote:
pushpakvimaan wrote:

Nothing official yet though. All the above are officially announced. However it is good to see BI returning to India. Currently AirAsia, Malaysia Airlines and Singapore Airlines taking all their business.

Yes its not official yet, I was told Jan 2019 is what BI is looking at. But now looking at it.. its not going to happen in Jan. Hopefully it happens in 2019!

juliuswong

Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:22 am

AirbusOnly wrote:
Currently MEL-BWN is served by a High Fly Airbus 340 9H-SUN as their 787 are getting crew-rests installed

Thank you, this is a good piece of information. I didn't know about this. I didn't know they hired HiFly A343 to cover for 787 downtime. I do know they signed an agreement with Boeing Services to get their 5 Dreamliners installed with crew rest at Shanghai. I am not sure if the J pax are thrilled though. It is quite a surprise even their recent fifth 787 was delivered without crew rest.

pushpakvimaan

Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:45 pm

Looking forward to BI expansion to new destinations in Indonesia and China

oldannyboy

Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:16 pm

alan3 wrote:
Who is the market for this airline? Point to point? If it's no longer picking up DXB-LHR passengers. Surely Brunei isn't a major hub for Australia or New Zealand?

That's a long way to fly on a Dry airline (not that it should be primary reason for flying of course but still)....

Sorry if I come across as a bit raspy, but I always find the expression so typical of a certain particularly hateful group of very annoying travellers... white, middle-aged, British, white-collar men.. Ugh. Cringing.
Anyone who is unable to sit quietly with themselves for 12 hours without resorting to alcohol gets on my personal no-fly list.

:stirthepot:

theobcman

Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:23 pm

oldannyboy wrote:
alan3 wrote:

Sorry if I come across as a bit raspy, but I always find the expression so typical of a certain particularly hateful group of very annoying travellers... white, middle-aged, British, white-collar men.. Ugh. Cringing.
Anyone who is unable to sit quietly with themselves for 12 hours without resorting to alcohol gets on my personal no-fly list.

But putting the "having a little slurp" aside for a minute who is actually flying this route with BI ? With the DXB stop its kind of understandable.

I dont know anyone who has been to Brunei or transit thru there to Far East/Australia.

juliuswong

Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:33 pm

Royal Brunei is also returning to TPE after 14 years of hiatus. Flying 3x weekly from 3 December 2018.

Brunei Taipei Mon, Thu, Fri BI451 10:15 13:45
Taipei Brunei Mon, Thu, Fri BI452 15:00 18:30

juliuswong

Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:52 pm

Royal Brunei has introduced/ re-introduced the following:
In 2017, thrice weekly Seoul service

In 2018,
Once weekly Hangzhou services since 3rd April 2018
Twice weekly Nanning services since 11th April 2018
Daily non-stop service to London- Heathrow from 28th October 2018
Twice weekly Haikou services from 30th October 2018
Twice weekly Changsha services from 18th December 2018
Thrice weekly Tokyo – Narita services from 15th March 2019
Thrice weekly Taipei services from 3 December 2018

alan3

Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:58 pm

oldannyboy wrote:
alan3 wrote:

Although I'm not sure how many people would specifically boycott an airline only because they are dry, the great thing about being a consumer is being able to make your own decisions based on your own personal preferences. I've heard people use all sorts of criteria when choosing between Airline A and Airline B. "Sitting quietly" is possible without any amenity being provided, be it wi-fi, IFE, paid meals, pillows, etc.

If BWN can prove itself to be a convenient, well priced and attractive connection city, I'm sure it will be a success.

(PS: I say this as someone neither British nor middle-aged nor white collar).

juliuswong

Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:17 pm

juliuswong wrote:
Royal Brunei has introduced/ re-introduced the following:
In 2017, thrice weekly Seoul service

In 2018,
Once weekly Hangzhou services since 3rd April 2018
Twice weekly Nanning services since 11th April 2018
Daily non-stop service to London- Heathrow from 28th October 2018
Twice weekly Haikou services from 30th October 2018
Twice weekly Changsha services from 18th December 2018
Thrice weekly Tokyo – Narita services from 15th March 2019
Thrice weekly Taipei services from 3 December 2018

Royal Brunei announced today they are resuming KCH flight with two flight a week from 28th December 2018, thereafter from 9 February 2019 will be four times per week.

https://www.flyroyalbrunei.com/brunei/e ... o-kuching/

eta unknown

Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:20 pm

I've lost count- is this their 3rd or 4th attempt at sustaining BWN-KCH service?

WilhelmFink

Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:54 pm

eta unknown wrote:
I've lost count- is this their 3rd or 4th attempt at sustaining BWN-KCH service?

Something like that. As Kuching is the largest city in Sarawak, this route should have potential. I don't know why it didn't work on earlier attempts.

juliuswong

Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:54 am

Following the delivery of the last A320neo on order, Royal Brunei has now completed its fleet renewal, started in October 2013 with B787 for long haul and A320neo for short haul. They still hold an option for three more A320neo, however these are not firmed up currently.

Royal Brunei's fleet currently stands at:
- 2 A320-232ceo with Sharklets- V8-RBW, V8-RBX
- 7 A320-251neo- V8-RBA to V8-RBG
- 5 B787-8- V8-DLA to V8-DLE

Royal Brunei currently serves 21 destinations spanning UK, Australia and Asia. Today, they will commence flight to Taipei, making its 22nd destinations after 14 years of hiatus. They are scheduled to commence flight to Kuching on 28 December 2018, Changsha on 15 January 2019, Tokyo-Narita on 15 March 2019, bringing the total destination serves to 24.

With new fleet, new livery, new uniform and new soft and hard products (both on air and on ground) in place, anticipation is high on what Royal Brunei will do next to bring the airline to next level in the ever competitive aviation industry.

eta unknown

Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:16 am

I anticipate their route network will contract- again- as the Ministry of Finance will have another tantrum when they have to cut a cheque to cover the now increasing losses from all these new routes.

chonetsao

Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:49 am

WilhelmFink wrote:
eta unknown wrote:

Something like that. As Kuching is the largest city in Sarawak, this route should have potential. I don't know why it didn't work on earlier attempts.

Air Asia?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos