Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

FSDan

Re: Delta to serve Mumbai nonstop in 2019

Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:35 am

Put down the pitchforks, y'all! winginit acknowledged that he had to eat his words, which was the right thing to do. In this industry, often you can't count on a route launch being certain until the aircraft has its wheels up on the inaugural. Nothing different here. Circumstances change, and airlines adjust accordingly. Pretending that the route launch was a conspiracy and wasn't ever being planned in earnest is just silly, and completely ignores the market dynamics and uncertainty surrounding the future of 9W. You can question winginit's credibility if you want, but based on reading many of your comments in various threads over the months and years, I'm not sure you all are considered to be especially credible posters here either...

gokmengs

Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:22 am

Too bad for DL to half ass announce a route probably out of political reasons only to see things not blossom the way they want, while we all had fun guessing and arguing on where the route should be from, it got so repetitive (after what 10 months) that everyone is beating up on a guy who made a announcement date prediction only to say he would eat his words a month later. DL is my fave US airline, but they didn’t deliver on this one. Wonder if mods are considering locking this thread? A lot riding for some who knows :) All the best.

winginit

Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:33 pm

FSDan wrote:
Put down the pitchforks, y'all! winginit acknowledged that he had to eat his words, which was the right thing to do. In this industry, often you can't count on a route launch being certain until the aircraft has its wheels up on the inaugural. Nothing different here. Circumstances change, and airlines adjust accordingly. Pretending that the route launch was a conspiracy and wasn't ever being planned in earnest is just silly, and completely ignores the market dynamics and uncertainty surrounding the future of 9W. You can question winginit's credibility if you want, but based on reading many of your comments in various threads over the months and years, I'm not sure you all are considered to be especially credible posters here either...

Thank you. Words eaten. Will be sure to never, ever post industry tips ever ever again.

MSPNWA

Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:43 pm

FSDan wrote:

Completely false. This was a completely different "launch" (it still hasn't launched!), as it was to save face from a political loss. You're lumping yourself in with other posters who have made statements that were proven wrong (not unlike the airline in question). They don't have credibility because their statements aren't trustworthy.

FSDan

Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:48 pm

MSPNWA wrote:
FSDan wrote:

Completely false. This was a completely different "launch" (it still hasn't launched!), as it was to save face from a political loss.

I'm not sure I understand what you're taking issue with here... I'm not exonerating DL from the ridiculous way they went about announcing this route (which they still technically haven't even announced since we don't know which U.S. gateway they were looking at) or their over-zealousness regarding the ME3. My statement of "nothing different here" was simply pointing out that it's not uncommon for an airline to be planning a route that for various reasons doesn't end up getting launched. Many in this thread seem to believe that DL never had any intention of returning to India with their own metal, and were using that idea to discredit winginit's claims that DL was, in fact, very much planning the route. I have yet to see any evidence presented that proves DL was not planning to fly to India (the fact the route hasn't been announced is not evidence that it was never being planned), so I see no reason to doubt that winginit's information was credible. That's all I'm saying.

TW870

Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:33 am

Jet Airways' final collapse today probably means the end of this thread. Without that feed, I cannot imagine DL going into South Asia right now. South and East Asia both have far too much capacity right now, and with DL's overall conservative strategy in terms of international risk, the BOM idea has to be done for now.

It will be interesting to see how this impacts the ALPA talks as another long-haul prospect closes in a moment when international block hours are so important to pilots.

aemoreira1981

Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:56 am

TW870 wrote:
Jet Airways' final collapse today probably means the end of this thread. Without that feed, I cannot imagine DL going into South Asia right now. South and East Asia both have far too much capacity right now, and with DL's overall conservative strategy in terms of international risk, the BOM idea has to be done for now.

It will be interesting to see how this impacts the ALPA talks as another long-haul prospect closes in a moment when international block hours are so important to pilots.

I was coming here to say that. BUT right now, 6E can seek to be the feeder for long-haul right now in India for any airline not in Star Alliance. The question is: can something be introduced to SkyTeam that is akin to a Star Alliance connecting partner?

Detroit313

Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:37 am

This thread has been fake news since day 1. Just typical hype by Delta.

With the collapse of Jet Airways this will never happen.

T773ER

Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:52 am

According to an email to its pilots, Delta still plans on announcing BOM service later this year. This was as of yesterday the 17th and in direct response to the suspension of Jet Airways.

klm617

Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:04 pm

winginit wrote:
FSDan wrote:

Thank you. Words eaten. Will be sure to never, ever post industry tips ever ever again.

You can post them if they pertain to DTW would never call you out for posting positive comments about Detroit and it's potential. Sometimes the energy we project gets reflected right back at us and it can be very uncomfortable. Keep it positive my friend. If you're going to call out an untruth then be consistent this was a big untruth by Delta and everyone knew it there is no reason to defend Delta's actions or justify them in some way.

klm617

Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:08 pm

T773ER wrote:
According to an email to its pilots, Delta still plans on announcing BOM service later this year. This was as of yesterday the 17th and in direct response to the suspension of Jet Airways.

Stop the madness Delta is not going to fly to India from any where like honest Ed so boldly stated.

dtw2hyd

Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:13 pm

T773ER wrote:

Unless Delta partners with Air India, Mumbai is a no go.

Vistara has 3 domestic connections and 3 planned from Mumbai.
Vistata has 21 domestic connections from Delhi
In comparison, Air India has ~35 domestic connections from Delhi, almost same from Mumbai

With the pre-existing conditions
1) ATL-BOM PDEW is a meager 40, so DL cannot make it work without feeder network.
2) All ATL feeder stations are well served by other one-stop options.
3) Beyond Atlanta Metro, there is no significant Indian population within 400-mile radius.

ATL-BOM is not viable.

TW870

Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:55 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
T773ER wrote:

Vistara has 3 domestic connections and 3 planned from Mumbai.
Vistata has 21 domestic connections from Delhi
In comparison, Air India has ~35 domestic connections from Delhi, almost same from Mumbai

With the pre-existing conditions
1) ATL-BOM PDEW is a meager 40, so DL cannot make it work without feeder network.
2) All ATL feeder stations are well served by other one-stop options.
3) Beyond Atlanta Metro, there is no significant Indian population within 400-mile radius.

ATL-BOM is not viable.

Here we see the risk in Delta's partner-centered international city. They have no control over domestic market dynamics abroad. Although partner feed comes cheap, bailing out a failing partner is extremely expensive, and often not worth the money. The problem, though, is Delta can end up with big gaps in its network with little notice. The situation in Rome is equally troubling. If Alitalia collapses, Delta's position in Southern Europe is going to be weaker than it once was. FCO is too far south for a big European hub, but that market is still very robust in the summer, and is a good use for Delta widebodies. It will be much less robust if AZ ceases operations - especially as AA is already fairly large in FCO. I think this all shows that while JVs and partnerships are highly valuable that they are not a replacement for a strong long haul network on DL's own metal.

hohd

Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:37 pm

Who knows DL may throw a curveball and start DTW - BOM, provided they can partner with some airline in BOM, most likely AI (even Indigo or Spice will do however they may have to give up on business class connecting traffic). They have no competition from ME3. Plus DTW has decent connections to many cities in the US.

LAXintl
Topic Author

Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:47 pm

Official

Nonstop to Mumbai: New Delta service from New York to begin Dec. 22
https://news.delta.com/nonstop-mumbai-n ... gin-dec-22

=

777LR

JFK-BOM 0915-2250
BOM-JFK 0050-0635

janders

Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:50 pm

So they finally announced something.

Though good luck now without the benefit of Indian partner 9W.

Osubuckeyes

Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:51 pm

Some of the hot takes in this thread sure didn't age well.

Should be interesting to see how well the service does.

dmstorm22

Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:55 pm

Love how they threw this in the press release: "Delta first offered service between the U.S. and Mumbai beginning in 2006, but was forced to suspend the service in 2009 as illegally subsidized Middle East carriers made the route untenable."

Surprising, no mention that their competitor ran the route from the same city to the same destination after 2009.

Also love the little nod to the Trump administration - who I'm pretty sure the only thing they got was a verbal agreement for the ME3 to stop fifth freedom routes into the US, but whatever floats your boat DL.

Anyway, glad they finally announced it, and even if I think DL takes the anti-ME3 stuff too far, the idea of more and more airlines bypassing the ME3 is good.

Quick note, timing is 9:15 pm (21:15) departure.

WorldFlier

Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:59 pm

Flighty wrote:
I'll bite. What did Trump do, exactly? And how will it cure the $500 each way pricing in this market

What? NYC-India up front, non-stop costs, an arm and a leg (and not just from the nastiness of Air India's Business Class)!

NYC-India is paid for by paid up-front.

It's why United flies their 777-300ER to both of those destinations. Not for fun. Continental's 777-200 can do it.

Plus at 10-abreast that $500 coach seat each way is paying it's way...

dmstorm22

Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:01 pm

WorldFlier wrote:
Flighty wrote:
I'll bite. What did Trump do, exactly? And how will it cure the $500 each way pricing in this market

What? NYC-India up front, non-stop costs, an arm and a leg (and not just from the nastiness of Air India's Business Class)!

It's why United flies their 777-300ER to both of those destinations. Not for fun. Continental's 777-200 can do it.

Also, both AI and UA have enjoyed a price premium over the 1-stops for years and run their routes. Both non-stops are consistently a few hundred bucks above the 1-stops most of the time.

airboss787

Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:02 pm

LAXintl wrote:
Official

Nonstop to Mumbai: New Delta service from New York to begin Dec. 22
https://news.delta.com/nonstop-mumbai-n ... gin-dec-22

=

777LR

JFK-BOM 0915-2250
BOM-JFK 0050-0635

Congratulations to Delta and Mumbai for finally announcing service to India.

The JFK-BOM timings seem off. They probably mean 2115? Otherwise, it'll be a heck of a long flight. Timings are very close to United's from EWR. Good luck to them. Hope both UA and DL are still serving the route in a few years.

Been reading this thread since the time it was created and it is going to be fun to read how people justify their completely wrong assumptions. :bouncy:
Last edited by airboss787 on Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sabby

Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:04 pm

dmstorm22 wrote:
Love how they threw this in the press release: "Delta first offered service between the U.S. and Mumbai beginning in 2006, but was forced to suspend the service in 2009 as illegally subsidized Middle East carriers made the route untenable."

Yeah, especially considering they themselves own 49% of an "illegally subsidized" carrier i.e. AlItalia.

dtw2hyd

Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:05 pm

Glad, it is over. Delta probably lined up another interline/codeshare partner at Mumbai.

UPlog

Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:10 pm

Good luck to DL, but this ME3 argument nonsense it too much.

maps4ltd

Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:15 pm

Detroit313 wrote:
This thread has been fake news since day 1. Just typical hype by Delta.

With the collapse of Jet Airways this will never happen.

Anything else you'd like to add?

maps4ltd

Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:16 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
T773ER wrote:

Just tossing this out there!

Though seriously, back to your partnership point, I wonder if DL will hash anything out.

Cactusjuba

Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:19 pm

sabby wrote:
dmstorm22 wrote:

Yeah, especially considering they themselves own 49% of an "illegally subsidized" carrier i.e. AlItalia.

They don’t own 49% of Alitalia. They own 0% of Alitalia. Get your facts straight.

dtw2hyd

Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:26 pm

maps4ltd wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:
T773ER wrote:

Though seriously, back to your partnership point, I wonder if DL will hash anything out.

Prior to 9W partnership, DL used to interline with AI non-stops on the US side.

DL doesn't hold a grudge if pass thru is good. Tomorrow if Emirates dumps B6 and gives DL decent pass thru they will be buddies.

Lootess

Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:36 pm

I'm glad Ed finally got it going, they don't need 9W, nor DTW apologists.

I still think DL could have hung-on JFK-BOM (over ATL-BOM) since it was CO that started their EWR-BOM not long after. You can probably say the usual "there is more profit to made elsewhere" argument. Plus with plenty additional A350s, they now have slack on the 777LRs to re-pursue these routes.

klm617

Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:46 pm

So all the people who proclaimed that the financial issues with 9W were keeping Delta from starting BOM really had no clue because 9W ceases operations and Delta starts BOM. Great news that Delta chose JFK because New York is a established world gateway unlike Atlanta which is nothing more than an over grown hub.

klm617

Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:47 pm

Lootess wrote:

I still think DL could have hung-on JFK-BOM (over ATL-BOM) since it was CO that started their EWR-BOM not long after. You can probably say the usual "there is more profit to made elsewhere" argument. Plus with plenty additional A350s, they now have slack on the 777LRs to re-pursue these routes.

Good to see honest Ed keeping his word and saving face.

klm617

Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:49 pm

hohd wrote:
Who knows DL may throw a curveball and start DTW - BOM, provided they can partner with some airline in BOM, most likely AI (even Indigo or Spice will do however they may have to give up on business class connecting traffic). They have no competition from ME3. Plus DTW has decent connections to many cities in the US.

Agree 100% but if it couldn't be DTW I'm glad it was JFK instead of ATL.

adamh8297

Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:51 pm

klm617 wrote:
So all the people who proclaimed that the financial issues with 9W were keeping Delta from starting BOM really had no clue because 9W ceases operations and Delta starts BOM. Great news that Delta chose JFK because New York is a established world gateway unlike Atlanta which is nothing more than an over grown hub.

DL made the right move but not because a hub located in Southern USA is "overgrown." It's because JFK can offer the best nonstop premium traffic.

N292UX

Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:56 pm

Well it took long enough. Hopefully they can do well on this route. Definitely the right route, IMO.

n2dru

Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:56 pm

klm617 wrote:

Really klm!? Never miss a opportunity to take a jab at Atlanta huh?
Last edited by n2dru on Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dtw2hyd

Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:58 pm

Lootess wrote:

Delta didn't pick ATL because the Atlanta is not on the East Coast, per its initial announcement.

Non-stop skips TATL JV partners more so than last mile partners. I am sure Vistara or Air India will provide feed at Mumbai.

In the upside-down world of a.net, flame-bait throwers are experts, those who take the bait are apologists/trolls. Experts continue to have great success.

jfern022

Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:00 pm

The stupidity from some people on this site is astounding.

T773ER

Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:02 pm

maps4ltd wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:
T773ER wrote:

Thanks for the plug! I don't want to say told you so to the naysayers, this announcement speaks for itself.

stl07

Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:06 pm

WorldFlier wrote:
Flighty wrote:

Trust me, its RT not each way. When I checked for STL-India on UA via EWR it was 530 RT

flyfresno

Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:17 pm

YouGeeElWhy

Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:38 pm

As much as DL kills it domestically they seem less sure of themselves in Asia. I hope the route works for them and they can expand in India from JFK, but I am skeptical of its long term outlook. They are not going to muscle out either AI or UA and that 77L is going to burn money.

voxkel

Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:54 pm

Should have done JFK-DEL-JFK IMO. AI and UA already do BOM-NYC but neither does DEL-NYC nonstop at the moment. 77L can do DEL-NYC nonstop (a 17-18hr flight) and with 9W a nonfactor, connecting traffic should not be that much of an issue.

AlexBrewster03

Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:58 pm

Im glad they finally announced it. And having it be JFK-BOM is definitely safer than if it originated from ATL.

AirFrance744

Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:58 pm

LAXintl wrote:
777LR

JFK-BOM 0915-2250
BOM-JFK 0050-0635

Correction:
JFK-BOM 2115-2250
BOM-JFK 0050-0635

When I first saw the post, I double a double take, no way the flight is that long!

voxkel wrote:
Should have done JFK-DEL-JFK IMO. AI and UA already do BOM-NYC but neither does DEL-NYC nonstop at the moment. 77L can do DEL-NYC nonstop (a 17-18hr flight) and with 9W a nonfactor, connecting traffic should not be that much of an issue.

I really don't mean to be mean, but I'm not sure where you have been. UA has flown daily EWR-DEL for years, CO flew it before the merger. AI flies DEL-EWR as well. This has been mentioned many times in this thread. Again, I don't mean to be mean, but it is irresponsible to post without knowing what has already been stated. This is why I typically don't post in very long threads, as I don't have the time read-up and become informed on what has been discussed.
Once again, for good measure, I really don't mean to be mean, I'm stating what I, personally, believe. You may have a different view, and it is okay if we disagree on this.
Last edited by AirFrance744 on Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:11 pm, edited 4 times in total.

LHUSA

Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:02 pm

voxkel wrote:

UA does both BOM and DEL daily from EWR. DEL is suspended currently until July due to Pakistan airspace.

dmstorm22

Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:08 pm

LHUSA wrote:
voxkel wrote:

UA does both BOM and DEL daily from EWR. DEL is suspended currently until July due to Pakistan airspace.

AI does DEL-NYC as well daily from JFK, though that is also touch and go with technical stops in VIE at the moment due to the Pakistan airspace issue

voxkel

Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:14 pm

AirFrance744 wrote:
LAXintl wrote:
777LR

JFK-BOM 0915-2250
BOM-JFK 0050-0635

Correction:
JFK-BOM 2115-2250
BOM-JFK 0050-0635

When I first saw the post, I double a double take, no way the flight is that long!

voxkel wrote:

I really don't mean to be mean, but I'm not sure where you have been. UA has flown daily EWR-DEL for years, CO flew it before the merger. AI flies DEL-EWR as well. This has been mentioned many times in this thread. Again, I don't mean to be mean, but it is irresponsible to post without knowing what has already been stated. This is why I typically don't post in very long threads, as I don't have the time read-up and become informed on what has been discussed.
Once again, for good measure, I really don't mean to be mean, I'm stating what I, personally, believe. You may have a different view, and it is okay if we disagree on this.

UA doesn't fly to DEL at all (until at least July). AI has to go via VIE. Keep in mind my post said "at the moment," assuming PK airspace does not open.

Also another correction: AI doesn't fly DEL-EWR, never has. They do DEL-JFK but has to fly via VIE because the 77W cannot do the route around PK nonstop.

AirFrance744

Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:17 pm

voxkel wrote:
UA doesn't fly to DEL at all (until at least July). AI has to go via VIE. Keep in mind my post said "at the moment," assuming PK airspace does not open.

Also another correction: AI doesn't fly DEL-EWR, never has. They do DEL-JFK but has to fly via VIE because the 77W cannot do the route around PK nonstop.

You are correct, I failed to notice the "at the moment" qualifying phrase. My apologies.

voxkel

Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:32 pm

AirFrance744 wrote:
voxkel wrote:

You are correct, I failed to notice the "at the moment" qualifying phrase. My apologies.

Totally understandable, I too wasn't too clear about the PK closure in my initial post.

It is also worth noting that Long Island population skews much more to DEL area than BOM. This is why AI has set up its JFK/EWR flights like it is now, as NJ skews Maharashtra/Gujarat.

dtw2hyd

Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:34 pm

Hopefully, by December '19 airspace issues will be resolved, and everyone back to normal routes.

I think Delta product is going to beat everyone. Please don't serve Roti Roll, that is an abomination of Indian food.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos