EvanWSFO

Re: UPDATED: Delta announces JFK-BOM

Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:59 pm

enilria wrote:
TW870 wrote:
enilria wrote:
Will it even start? UA just cancelled.

Way too early to tell. UA is suspending for immediate operational safety reasons given that the drone shootdown was less than 24 hours ago. Clearly they feel like they need to assess the international situation before putting an airplane over Iran. December is a long time away in diplomatic time. Hoping to god for everyone that this is quickly resolved and that it immediately de-escalates. If not, the implications will be far, far wider and graver than just the JFK/EWR-BOM airline market.

There is no resumption date, though. They could have kept the bookings for JAN, for example.

I'm going to say it won't happen. Tensions between the U.S. and Iran are growing, and in other threads the discussion of the economics of flying to India from NYC without overflying India or Pakistan make the route unsustainable.
I have been on this site 15 years. A unrecoverable email account led me to starting over. Those of you who call me a rookie, you may stop ok?

jayunited

Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:47 pm

enilria wrote:
There is no resumption date, though. They could have kept the bookings for JAN, for example.

No there is no resumption date, just looking at the news this morning the US was going to attack Iran but called it off.
If (God forbid) war does break out between the US and Iran there is no way with out Pakistani airspace UA, DL, or AI would be able to operate nonstop flights between the US and India profitability . Since UA has no idea when Pakistan will fully reopen their airspace to traffic to/from India and no one has any idea what going to happen between the US and Iran the best option for now it to take it off the books. While we all hope things will calm down in that region no one can say with any certainty what going to happen. A flight plan over Iraq from the US to India is not sustainable long term and the return leg BOM-EWR can't be operated nonstop when it has to overfly Dubai and Iraq because the flight plan exceed CCO before you ever take off.

Spiderguy252

Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:39 am

So what's the latest on this?
Vahroone

airboss787

Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:23 am

Spiderguy252 wrote:

I don't think anything has changed really. Except probably the reduction to 5x weekly. A lot of people on this forum have made spectacularly wrong predictions regarding the whole UA to India, DL to India, Pakistan Airspace, Iran overflight situation so I wouldn't really hold my breath for anything unless its an official communication. Pakistan Airspace is now open, UA to BOM and DEL are resuming in Sept so US to India flights really have no problem now. AI has already started making full use of that and are back to the pre-Feb routings and soon with the same timings.
Star Alliance Gold

mackdad

Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:45 am

The flight was originally ATL-BOM if the state of GA renewed a jet fuel tax exemption. Since GA allowed the lapse and didn't renew they decide to place the flight at JFK instead. This is a shaky flight from the get go. If a fuel tax made it unprofitable out of ATL and now they dropped to 5X a week out of JFK. If this flight last 12-18 months it would be a miracle.

LAX772LR

Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:59 am

mackdad wrote:
    The flight was originally ATL-BOM if the state of GA renewed a jet fuel tax exemption. Since GA allowed the lapse and didn't renew they decide to place the flight at JFK instead.

Source?
    I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

CaliguyNYC

Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:10 pm

airboss787 wrote:
    Spiderguy252 wrote:

I don't think anything has changed really. Except probably the reduction to 5x weekly. A lot of people on this forum have made spectacularly wrong predictions regarding the whole UA to India, DL to India, Pakistan Airspace, Iran overflight situation so I wouldn't really hold my breath for anything unless its an official communication. Pakistan Airspace is now open, UA to BOM and DEL are resuming in Sept so US to India flights really have no problem now. AI has already started making full use of that and are back to the pre-Feb routings and soon with the same timings.

DL had it as 5 weekly once the busy winter rush ended in January. So don't think the 5X happened because of something not originally planned (like because of tension or poor bookings). Probably based on aircraft availability PLUS DL wanting to ramp up. I think that makes total sense. DL, AF, KL, VS have super stepped up their game in India. It is clear they don't want to lose the good will they got from 9W pax connecting to them for the EU-US segments. Good for them. You can't fight the ME3 by not flying to India. In the end, pain in India has a disproportionate affect on the ME3 because the ME3 could suck away premium pax due to the lack of a strong local airline. If the ME3 lose the premium pax, alliance captive professionals, business pax that have to fly Y, they are left with price shoppers paying $750 to fly JFK-BOM - good luck with that.

hohd

Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:27 pm

Out of the ME3 only EK and QR are viable, EY is not doing so well anyway. So we may start calling them ME2. If DL can get a strong partner in BOM for service to smaller cities (which EK or QR do not serve, and there are quite a few), then it will be bonus. There is enough premium traffic and regular traffic from JFK to BOM to make is reasonably profitable.

panamair

Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:33 pm

CaliguyNYC wrote:
    DL had it as 5 weekly once the busy winter rush ended in January. So don't think the 5X happened because of something not originally planned (like because of tension or poor bookings)..

I believe that is correct. The weekend the flight went on sale, I checked for dates in March and April 2020 and they were already loaded as 5x weekly. Also the press release only mentioned year-round nonstop but “daily” was explicitly missing...

TObound

Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:59 pm

hohd wrote:
    Out of the ME3 only EK and QR are viable, EY is not doing so well anyway. So we may start calling them ME2. If DL can get a strong partner in BOM for service to smaller cities (which EK or QR do not serve, and there are quite a few), then it will be bonus. There is enough premium traffic and regular traffic from JFK to BOM to make is reasonably profitable.

I would argue that only EK survives in the long run. With EY merging into EK when they move to DWC. QR is probably going to fade into the shadow of TK and EK eventually.

MIflyer12

Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:06 pm

hohd wrote:
    If DL can get a strong partner in BOM for service to smaller cities (which EK or QR do not serve, and there are quite a few), then it will be bonus.

Who would that be? Seriously. What Indian carrier isn't already aligned, serves the destinations you have in mind, and is ready with interline ticketing & baggage to a full-service carrier?

EddieDude

Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:31 am

CaliguyNYC wrote:
    DL, AF, KL, VS have super stepped up their game in India. It is clear they don't want to lose the good will they got from 9W pax connecting to them for the EU-US segments. Good for them.

Flew AF to India in late 2017 and their A332s and 77Ws used on the DEL route had the old, hideous non-lie-flat J seat. AF'd better have now their latest product, or the disparity in business class hard products among the partners will be a liability!
    Upcoming flights:
    May: AM MEX-CUN 73H (Y), AM CUN-MEX 73W (Y).
    August: KL MEX-AMS 74M (J), KQ AMS-NBO 788 (J).

acjbbj

Re: Delta to serve Mumbai nonstop in 2019

Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:34 am

xwb777 wrote:
    Fingers crossed for DTW - DXB :crossfingers:

Fingers crossed. :crossfingers:
    Douglas Aircraft Company
    Born: 22 July 1921 (Santa Monica, CA)
    Died: 23 May 2006 (Long Beach, CA), age 84 years 10 months 1 day
    You will be missed.

ArchGuy1

Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:13 am

Delta should also operate flights between New York JFK and Kolkata, which would provide access to Eastern India.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos