Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

airtechy

Re: UPDATED: Delta announces JFK-BOM

Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:01 pm

Shipping phones without batteries would be interesting as most new phones now have non-removable batteries which would require that final assembly of the phone be done in the US. I don't see that happening.

jayunited

Re: Inaugural Delta JFK-BOM Tomorrow.

Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:34 pm

x1234 wrote:
The 77L is also on ATL-PVG even though it can be flown by the 77E. The reason is to maximize the high yield cargo coming out of PVG (Shanghai, China) which includes electronics without their batteries (e.g. cell phones/tablets) and PVG is such a transit hub (and so is ICN with even higher yield electronics cargo). The cargo coming out of BOM would be textiles and general mail.

I think you are mistaken not on the use of the 77L but the shipping of electronics without batteries. Why would the batteries need to be shipped separately?

UA moves just as much cargo as DL out of PVG and we ship electronics out of PVG with their batteries.

jayunited

Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:58 pm

x1234 wrote:
jayunited, how are the loads on SFO-DEL? They made it daily recently so it must be good. I also recently noticed comparing airfare out of BOM/DEL versus PEK/PVG/HKG in that the Chinese market is A LOT more competitive with cheaper fares than India even though per capita income India is lower. There's also 3 CN3 airlines flying to the USA instead of just 1 from India.

The load have been in the high 80% low 90% range on SFO-DEL, but the difference maker are the yields, even with AI's nonstop and EK providing 1-stop service to DEL via DXB UA's is able to charge a higher ticket price on our SFO-DEL-SFO route compared to our EWR-DEL-EWR route. I think yields are reason UA made this route daily and then transitioned it from seasonal to year round. However mid-March through mid-October the route is only 3x weekly. Although no one expects UA to make the route daily in 2020 (Polaris reconfiguration on the 789s don't wrap up till December 2020) there is speculation that if yields hold this route will be daily come March 2021.

A quick side note UA's EWR-India routes benefited from DL's arrival into this market. Although I haven't checked future ticket prices in some time out of the NYC market. At one point when DL opened their flight for sale they were charging more than double the price for coach than UA. UA which usually priced economy much closer to EK's price quickly matched DL's higher price.

The question is can DL and UA force ticket prices higher in the NYC market or are the bottom barrel ticket prices the ME3 charge just to much for DL and UA to overcome?

VTORD

Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:44 pm

jayunited wrote:

A quick side note UA's EWR-India routes benefited from DL's arrival into this market. Although I haven't checked future ticket prices in some time out of the NYC market. At one point when DL opened their flight for sale they were charging more than double the price for coach than UA. UA which usually priced economy much closer to EK's price quickly matched DL's higher price.

The question is can DL and UA force ticket prices higher in the NYC market or are the bottom barrel ticket prices the ME3 charge just to much for DL and UA to overcome?

I have been looking in to Spring/Summer fares for BOM-IND and UA via EWR was actually slightly higher priced than DL via JFK for coach. DL won out for me because the returning connections on UA weren't the best and DL's IND-CDG connected very well to AF.

Side note: DL is allowing 2 free bags v UA's 1.

x1234

Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:15 am

Just noticed the flight plan for tonight's flight is one that avoids Iran and flies over allied countries like Egypt, Saudi Arabic, UAE, South of Pakistan and then India. Is there geo-political considerations at play here or is it simply due to the winds?

sonicruiser

Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:36 am

x1234 wrote:
Just noticed the flight plan for tonight's flight is one that avoids Iran and flies over allied countries like Egypt, Saudi Arabic, UAE, South of Pakistan and then India. Is there geo-political considerations at play here or is it simply due to the winds?

Geopolitical considerations
شما می توانید مردم را تحریم کنید ، اما نمی توانید سبک تحریم را اعمال کنید

You can sanction people, but you can't sanction style

CaliguyNYC

Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:32 am

jayunited wrote:
x1234 wrote:
jayunited, how are the loads on SFO-DEL? They made it daily recently so it must be good. I also recently noticed comparing airfare out of BOM/DEL versus PEK/PVG/HKG in that the Chinese market is A LOT more competitive with cheaper fares than India even though per capita income India is lower. There's also 3 CN3 airlines flying to the USA instead of just 1 from India.

The load have been in the high 80% low 90% range on SFO-DEL, but the difference maker are the yields, even with AI's nonstop and EK providing 1-stop service to DEL via DXB UA's is able to charge a higher ticket price on our SFO-DEL-SFO route compared to our EWR-DEL-EWR route. I think yields are reason UA made this route daily and then transitioned it from seasonal to year round. However mid-March through mid-October the route is only 3x weekly. Although no one expects UA to make the route daily in 2020 (Polaris reconfiguration on the 789s don't wrap up till December 2020) there is speculation that if yields hold this route will be daily come March 2021.

Double the price probably not but increase in price, yes. Having three nonstop players just makes flying nonstop to BOM and DEL more the norm. People talk (including infrequent business travelers). Now both JFK and EWR are connected nonstop to both DEL and BOM nonstop. ST and Star FF will become used to flying nonstops. So I think it is good for everyone that delta entered. Look at SF where AI built the market and helped convince people to try to fly nonstop to India - I mean AI did this. With VS’s flight time change, a BOM flyer from JFK could take the DL nonstop JFK-BOM and return VS BOM-LHR-JFK and not have to leave India at a crazy late hour.

x1234

Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:08 pm

I've also heard rumours that the reason KL started AMS-BLR & AMS-BOM to take over Jet Airways slots and VS LHR-BOM with a re-timing was for connecting traffic from the US on DL's network.

Detroit313

Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:17 pm

Let's hope the route is not a complete disaster.

SESGDL

Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:24 pm

Detroit313 wrote:
Let's hope the route is not a complete disaster.

Why would it be a complete disaster? DL is not known for making poor business decisions as of late. This route is important to DL's network, not sure what could possibly happen to cause it to be a disaster.

Jeremy

edealinfo

Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:32 am

x1234 wrote:

AIr France CDG to BLR flight too avoids Iran.

TW870

Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:10 am

First return flight took an hour and a half departure delay. Anyone know why? Right now they're at FL320 northwest of St. Petersberg headed toward the Finland border. 7:10 down, 8:30 to go. Dark outside and not fun in coach! I hope someone puts up a report from itF

panamair

Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:24 am

TW870 wrote:
First return flight took an hour and a half departure delay. Anyone know why? Right now they're at FL320 northwest of St. Petersberg headed toward the Finland border. 7:10 down, 8:30 to go. Dark outside and not fun in coach! I hope someone puts up a report from itF

Am on the flight now (but in the D1 Suite). The flight got in about 40 minutes late from JFK, which cut the turn time to just 1h40m which was clearly not enough for the cleaning and security sweep. Scheduled departure 0055, we started boarding at about 0105. Large number of wheelchairs and pre-boards, every pax had to go through another bag screening at the gate, and the TSA secondary screening (SSSS) took very long too with overzealous agents looking through everything..boarding easily took slightly more than an hour. I attribute all of this to teething pains with contract ground staff getting used to the right processes and procedures though they did have ACS supervisors and managers from other stations helping out.

As for coach, well at least they are in a 3-3-3 cabin on the DL 777 with decently wide seats compared to the other 777 competition! The refurbished Delta 777 is fantastic and quite spacious-easily my favorite DL plane in the fleet now.

CaliguyNYC

Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:14 am

panamair wrote:
TW870 wrote:

Am on the flight now (but in the D1 Suite). The flight got in about 40 minutes late from JFK, which cut the turn time to just 1h40m which was clearly not enough for the cleaning and security sweep. Scheduled departure 0055, we started boarding at about 0105. Large number of wheelchairs and pre-boards, every pax had to go through another bag screening at the gate, and the TSA secondary screening (SSSS) took very long too with overzealous agents looking through everything..boarding easily took slightly more than an hour. I attribute all of this to teething pains with contract ground staff getting used to the right processes and procedures though they did have ACS supervisors and managers from other stations helping out.

As for coach, well at least they are in a 3-3-3 cabin on the DL 777 with decently wide seats compared to the other 777 competition! The refurbished Delta 777 is fantastic and quite spacious-easily my favorite DL plane in the fleet now.

I wish Delta would hire a few local staff that are empowered to make decisions and solve problems (so meaning trained senior staff). I very much appreciate when things work in India (because so many things are chaotic). Having great red coats at BOM would be something pax would appreciate. Staff is so cheap in India, hopefully Delta will not just have contract staff.

cha747

Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:58 am

CaliguyNYC wrote:
binayak wrote:
questions wrote:

Which “nasty old planes” did Delta previously fly to BOM?

767s from 2009 to 2015

Bingo. The NW A330s were better but didn’t fly the route as DL that much. The only negative of the 77L is that the economy comfort section is very large. There really isn’t a culture on the indian side of buying extra legroom. I wonder if a full Y seating chart might discourage people from buying Y (assuming DL will sell Y seats knowing they will just upgrade people Econ comfort). Btw it looks like Y pax will get 2 X 50lbs bags for free btw India and US. So bag allowance shouldn’t be an issue vs EY, EK.

Don't forget that the MD-11 was also flown CDG-BOM back in the early 2000's. I flew on an MD-11 on DL from JFK-CDG-BOM and then BOM-CDG in December of 2002. That was a nasty plane. Like really nasty.
Piedmontgirl was always right

DTWLAX

Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:57 pm

panamair wrote:
TW870 wrote:

This is what I do not like when flying nonstop to the US from India. Why does everyone have to go through an additional bag screening at the gate? What purpose does it serve? How is it different from flying BOM-AMS/CDG/FRA/LHR/MUC-USA? AF,BA,KLM,LH do not require additional screening at the gate. In fact, didn't KLM get rid of the gate security a couple of years ago?

PANAMsterdam

Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:33 pm

DTWLAX wrote:
panamair wrote:
TW870 wrote:

This is what I do not like when flying nonstop to the US from India. Why does everyone have to go through an additional bag screening at the gate? What purpose does it serve? How is it different from flying BOM-AMS/CDG/FRA/LHR/MUC-USA? AF,BA,KLM,LH do not require additional screening at the gate. In fact, didn't KLM get rid of the gate security a couple of years ago?

No AMS moved from after check-in security for Schengen flights and gate-security for non-Schengen flights to a centralized security check, so after check in you go through security (and then passport checks). If you are connecting through AMS and you arrive from a country with a “lesser” security standard you have to go through security again before you can connect.
Every country has an airline. The world has Pan Am.

TW870

Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:40 pm

panamair wrote:
TW870 wrote:

Thanks so much for the informative post! It is dark the entire way on that flight, correct? Do they do an abbreviated dinner service in D1 for dinner and then a more elaborate pre-landing meal, or is the first meal the elaborate one? I can't imagine deciding when to sleep and wake up on that trip.

So is there no actual DL staff in India at all - not even a station manager?

CaliguyNYC

Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:47 pm

My brother just flew BOM-JFK nonstop on DL in J. He really liked the service and the new J suite. The flight was full in all cabins (I've been looking on expert flyer - seems that J and premium Y does really well as does Y - Econ comfort tends to have issues where I have seen prices for comfort lower than regular Y! could just be Indian pax don't know what comfort is). The meals on BOM-JFK are as follows: dinner served soon after takeoff so like 1:30am (jumbo prawns) then a mid flight snack (which was a paneer sandwich) when ever you wake up so call it 9am India time and then a full breakfast 1.5 hours before landing (he had the Indian breakfast of vada and idly) so about 5am NYC time. For a 15/16 hour flight the meals might be on the light side. I routinely don't eat dinner on flights from BOM that leave after 11pm. So if I connect through EU, I would eat breakfast before landing then lunch and pre landing snack from EU-JFK. If I skip dinner on the nonstop, I would just get a snack and breakfast. Think I would be really hungry because DL breakfasts don't fill me up. I would prefer the order be snack, real meal and real meal. Anyway that is the feedback I got. Oh and he said the internet didn't work for long portions (in India and over big parts of Russia).

TW870

Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:19 pm

CaliguyNYC wrote:
My brother just flew BOM-JFK nonstop on DL in J. He really liked the service and the new J suite. The flight was full in all cabins (I've been looking on expert flyer - seems that J and premium Y does really well as does Y - Econ comfort tends to have issues where I have seen prices for comfort lower than regular Y! could just be Indian pax don't know what comfort is). The meals on BOM-JFK are as follows: dinner served soon after takeoff so like 1:30am (jumbo prawns) then a mid flight snack (which was a paneer sandwich) when ever you wake up so call it 9am India time and then a full breakfast 1.5 hours before landing (he had the Indian breakfast of vada and idly) so about 5am NYC time. For a 15/16 hour flight the meals might be on the light side. I routinely don't eat dinner on flights from BOM that leave after 11pm. So if I connect through EU, I would eat breakfast before landing then lunch and pre landing snack from EU-JFK. If I skip dinner on the nonstop, I would just get a snack and breakfast. Think I would be really hungry because DL breakfasts don't fill me up. I would prefer the order be snack, real meal and real meal. Anyway that is the feedback I got. Oh and he said the internet didn't work for long portions (in India and over big parts of Russia).

Thanks for the info! I hear you on the meal sequence. Dine on demand, which carriers such as SQ have, would clearly be the best option, as you could let passengers decide how they want to deal with their food and sleep schedule. Dine on demand is labor intensive, though, as you lose the efficiency of single passes with beverage and tray carts. Delta depends on that efficiency to accommodate its relatively thin cabin staffing. Without dine on demand, though, it just doesn't work to do the "real meal" mid-flight, because many passengers don't wake up and then later complain that they missed the meal, and others dislike being disturbed by the service when they would rather sleep. SQ actually does a big meal mid-flight on EWR-SIN timed for dinner time in New York, but dine on demand is always available, so no one misses out on food if they choose to sleep through that option. But I totally agree 1:30am for an elaborate service doesn't work for most people.

CaliguyNYC

Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:14 am

TW870 wrote:
CaliguyNYC wrote:

Thanks for the info! I hear you on the meal sequence. Dine on demand, which carriers such as SQ have, would clearly be the best option, as you could let passengers decide how they want to deal with their food and sleep schedule. Dine on demand is labor intensive, though, as you lose the efficiency of single passes with beverage and tray carts. Delta depends on that efficiency to accommodate its relatively thin cabin staffing. Without dine on demand, though, it just doesn't work to do the "real meal" mid-flight, because many passengers don't wake up and then later complain that they missed the meal, and others dislike being disturbed by the service when they would rather sleep. SQ actually does a big meal mid-flight on EWR-SIN timed for dinner time in New York, but dine on demand is always available, so no one misses out on food if they choose to sleep through that option. But I totally agree 1:30am for an elaborate service doesn't work for most people.

Just for the record my brother said the mid flight snack (meaning 9am India time) is basically dine on demand - the crew said they would serve the sandwich whenever you felt awake and ready to eat. That said, we are not vegetarians and a paneer sandwich is not what we would want to eat at 9am India time or any time for that matter. If I wasn’t of Indian decent, I could not imagine being served that sandwich in J. If Delta can’t do a real dine on demand, like SQ, EK, EY, etc where you chose the type of food you want, they should at least offer breakfast and brunch choices. I understand DL wants to control costs but these types of cost cutting in J seem like a pimple given the cost of the ticket. Just serve normal meals and give people choice on timing. If you are on india time to get a full breakfast at India mid afternoon time is also weird. Your stomach will want a real meal. In full disclosure, I’ve had issues with DL’s international J menus for some time (I find them unimaginative and repetitive). DL’s domestic F class menus, on the other hand, are really good and have tons of different/new menu options.

clrd4t8koff

Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:28 am

CaliguyNYC wrote:
TW870 wrote:
CaliguyNYC wrote:

Just for the record my brother said the mid flight snack (meaning 9am India time) is basically dine on demand - the crew said they would serve the sandwich whenever you felt awake and ready to eat. That said, we are not vegetarians and a paneer sandwich is not what we would want to eat at 9am India time or any time for that matter. If I wasn’t of Indian decent, I could not imagine being served that sandwich in J. If Delta can’t do a real dine on demand, like SQ, EK, EY, etc where you chose the type of food you want, they should at least offer breakfast and brunch choices. I understand DL wants to control costs but these types of cost cutting in J seem like a pimple given the cost of the ticket. Just serve normal meals and give people choice on timing. If you are on india time to get a full breakfast at India mid afternoon time is also weird. Your stomach will want a real meal. In full disclosure, I’ve had issues with DL’s international J menus for some time (I find them unimaginative and repetitive). DL’s domestic F class menus, on the other hand, are really good and have tons of different/new menu options.

Neither EK or SQ offer dine on demand in J. While both have trialed it at different points, neither officially offer it.

tphuang

Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:53 am

Ek has easily the best j catering I have ever had.

TW870

Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:55 am

clrd4t8koff wrote:
CaliguyNYC wrote:
TW870 wrote:

Neither EK or SQ offer dine on demand in J. While both have trialed it at different points, neither officially offer it.

I hear what you are saying in that SQ does not have a complete dine on demand, but this shows that they have very hefty food options on demand, and a second meal that can be served at any time between 8 and 16 hours after departure - which I think of as pretty close to dine on demand:

https://thepointsguy.com/reviews/singap ... 0-900-ulr/

This service is considerably more flexible than the Delta service that has the elaborate meals fixed near departure and landing, and then a much smaller mid-flight snack. The SQ option - or a true dine on demand where you can order any combination of food at any time - is much more labor intensive than what Delta wants to commit to. I totally agree with CaliguyNYC that given the massive prices DL should offer more flexible options.

777Mech

Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:58 pm

tphuang wrote:
Ek has easily the best j catering I have ever had.

And that has to do what to do with DL's JFK-BOM route?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos