SCQ83
Topic Author

Laudamotion (Ryanair Austria) opens VIE base with 20 routes

Fri May 25, 2018 7:55 am

Vienna will be the bloodbath of the season.

And now Laudamotion (aka Ryanair Austria) will launch a base with a number of city routes:

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... se-in-w18/

Vienna – Amman eff 30OCT18 2 weekly
Vienna – Barcelona eff 28OCT18 1 daily
Vienna – Bologna eff 28OCT18 4 weekly
Vienna – Bucharest eff 28OCT18 1 daily
Vienna – Copenhagen eff 28OCT18 3 weekly
Vienna – Dublin eff 28OCT18 1 daily
Vienna – Faro eff 28OCT18 2 weekly
Vienna – Fuerteventura eff 03NOV18 1 weekly
Vienna – Gran Canaria/Las Palmas eff 31OCT18 2 weekly
Vienna – Krakow eff 28OCT18 4 weekly
Vienna – Lanzarote eff 30OCT18 1 weekly
Vienna – Larnaca eff 28OCT18 2 weekly
Vienna – London Stansted eff 28OCT18 2 daily
Vienna – Madrid eff 28OCT18 1 daily
Vienna – Marrakech eff 28OCT18 2 weekly
Vienna – Milan Bergamo eff 28OCT18 1 daily
Vienna – Paris Beauvais eff 28OCT18 3 weekly
Vienna – Rome Fiumcino eff 28OCT18 1 daily
Vienna – Seville eff 31OCT18 2 weekly
Vienna – Tenerife South eff 31OCT18 2 weekly

That is in addition to a number of routes launched by easyJet or Eurowings.

For instance, Vienna-Milan is currently an Austrian Airlines monopoly (3-6 daily) which will see soon easyJet (daily), Wizzair (daily), Vueling (double daily) and Ryanair (daily to BGY). Let the games begin!

leghorn

Re: Laudamotion (Ryanair Austria) opens VIE base with 20 routes

Fri May 25, 2018 8:43 am

Is this a case of nasty LCCs eating the lunch of the larger legacy carriers or rather a case of Vienna Airport Management being sick of Bratislava stealing away income. Bratislava is closer to Vienna than some international airports which are associated with European Capital cities.

davidjohnson6

Fri May 25, 2018 8:44 am

Assuming Ryanair get permission to increase their stake in Laudamotion from 25% to 75%, would this perhaps have an impact on Ryanair's operations in Bratislava ?

leghorn

Fri May 25, 2018 8:47 am

davidjohnson6 wrote:
Assuming Ryanair get permission to increase their stake in Laudamotion from 25% to 75%, would this perhaps have an impact on Ryanair's operations in Bratislava ?

It will affect it less than Ryanair's operations at FRA have an impact on Frankfurt Hahan Airport because Bratislava is a source of a lot of traffic for migratory workers from Eastern Europen(Slovakia) to Western Europe.
Shuttling economic migrant workers across Europe is one of the cornerstones of Ryanair's business.

FatCat

Fri May 25, 2018 8:51 am

Well done!
Which planes will they use?
Aeroplane flies high
Turns left, looks right

Phosphorus

Fri May 25, 2018 10:19 am

leghorn wrote:
Is this a case of nasty LCCs eating the lunch of the larger legacy carriers or rather a case of Vienna Airport Management being sick of Bratislava stealing away income. Bratislava is closer to Vienna than some international airports which are associated with European Capital cities.

Wasn't there a sort of JV agreement between VIE and BTS management, splitting operations (legacies to VIE, LCC's to BTS)?
AN4 A40 L4T TU3 TU5 IL6 ILW I93 F50 F70 100 146 ARJ AT7 DH4 L10 CRJ ERJ E90 E95 DC-9 MD-8X YK4 YK2 SF3 S20 319 320 321 332 333 343 346 722 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 74M 757 767 777
Ceterum autem censeo, Moscovia esse delendam

andrej

Fri May 25, 2018 10:49 am

Phosphorus wrote:
leghorn wrote:

Wasn't there a sort of JV agreement between VIE and BTS management, splitting operations (legacies to VIE, LCC's to BTS)?

Negative. Vienna Airport was interested in purchasing Bratislava Airport sometime in 2003-2006, when "right" leaning government conducted privatization round (along with other state owned assets). However, new "left" leaning government has cancelled this privatization in 2006/2007. There was never true cooperation between these two airports. I presume that it was intention of the VIE airport to streamline its operations, if they controlled BTS. There are/were talks of connecting both airports via railroad, but nothing has come out of it.

VIE airport has expanded greatly in the past 10 years and I believe there is no real benefit in owning of Bratislava. New large terminal, cargo operations.
VIE Airport owns Kosice airport (second largest city in Slovakia; located in the East) and nothing stellar has been done there as well. New terminal was constructed, but that is pretty much it.

BTS airport is undeserved, thanks to a poor management (incompetence comes to mind; hand picked "top managers" that have no clue about the business), high handling fees (official; not sure if RYR has any discount), and inability to attract and maintain airlines. Finally, Bratislava is not a long stay destination for tourists. Usually one day is more than enough, unless one wants to explore the city in a great detail or has a specific reason to visit.
If this experiment for RYR plays well, I presume that most of the flights from BTS will transfer to VIE anyways (unless yields are high). A lot of tourist end up in VIE anyways and plenty of Slovaks from western Slovakia have adopted VIE as their own. I hope that I am mistaken, but don't give myself high hopes.

airbazar

Fri May 25, 2018 10:59 am

All of these additions to VIE and yet one can't fly between SZG and Rome or Paris, or Madrid :(

Blerg

Fri May 25, 2018 11:02 am

So who will the first to break? Lufthansa? IAG? Ryanair or Wizz Air?

Personally I think ti will be Wizz Air as most of their new routes are set to be launched either later this year or in 2019. By then the situation in Vienna will be completely different.

aviationaware

Fri May 25, 2018 12:39 pm

No matter first to break, this is not good news for Austrian. They are already not profitable enough to justify new investment according to Carsten Spohr, and I can hardly imagine this getting any better given the competitive situation.

Blerg

Fri May 25, 2018 12:51 pm

aviationaware wrote:
No matter first to break, this is not good news for Austrian. They are already not profitable enough to justify new investment according to Carsten Spohr, and I can hardly imagine this getting any better given the competitive situation.

Well, when I wrote Lufthansa I was referring to Austrian. Lufthansa will put up a fight, that's for sure. Maybe in the end Austrian Airlines will become the long-haul division while Eurowings will handle the rest.

dfpinto

Fri May 25, 2018 1:34 pm

andrej wrote:
BTS airport is undeserved, thanks to a poor management (incompetence comes to mind; hand picked "top managers" that have no clue about the business), high handling fees (official; not sure if RYR has any discount), and inability to attract and maintain airlines. Finally, Bratislava is not a long stay destination for tourists. Usually one day is more than enough, unless one wants to explore the city in a great detail or has a specific reason to visit.
If this experiment for RYR plays well, I presume that most of the flights from BTS will transfer to VIE anyways (unless yields are high). A lot of tourist end up in VIE anyways and plenty of Slovaks from western Slovakia have adopted VIE as their own. I hope that I am mistaken, but don't give myself high hopes.

There was potential in BTS, maybe not so much for long-stay tourism, but keep in mind that Bratislava has a considerable amount of Shared Service Centres providing services to everywhere in the world and Slovakia has a quite large landscape in the Automotive industry, with huge manufacturing facilities from Volkswagen, PSA, Hyundai/Kia and JLR. There was an interesting statistic that I saw a few ago showing Slovakia as the world's largest car producer per capita, for few years in a row.

Anyway, too late now. Because BTS slept through the last decade, VIE actually built the infrastructure capable of serving both Austria and Slovakia.

r2rho

Fri May 25, 2018 2:59 pm

After the AB takeover, KH group has >70% market share at VIE.
The market size is constrained by LH group's monopoly fares. Though of course BTS provides some competition.

There is plenty of margin for competition. But not all will survive the bloodbath.

I think the LCC's are well aware of it, but are willing to fight it out and see who ends up victorious.

leghorn

Fri May 25, 2018 3:24 pm

Laudamotion will I think be competing with Lufthansa using very expensive Lufthansa leased planes at high prices until the lease contracts expire.
Maybe they get other planes leased elsewhere in the meantime but Ryanair are in it for long run and will take the losses in the first years to drive others out.

DUSZRH

Fri May 25, 2018 5:00 pm

I can't believe that there will be more than 2-3 big players long term in VIE. So basically 1-2 have to go out of OS/EW, OE/FR, VY/VK, W6.

VK and OE are pouring in the highest investment, Wizz has/had the first mover advantage and maybe the lowest cost structure.

Blerg

Fri May 25, 2018 5:58 pm

Have I missed something or is still no one challenging LH Group's monopoly between VIE and ZRH?

LH982

Fri May 25, 2018 6:28 pm

Blerg wrote:
Have I missed something or is still no one challenging LH Group's monopoly between VIE and ZRH?

Or FRA, MUC, HAM, DUS, STR.

Samrnpage

Fri May 25, 2018 7:31 pm

Will Laudamotion fly in Ryanair colours?

LH982

Sat May 26, 2018 6:57 am

Samrnpage wrote:
Will Laudamotion fly in Ryanair colours?

Laudamotion billboard on Air Berlin basic scheme for the moment, but will be interesting to see when the leased Ryanair 738's start arriving

Blerg

Sat May 26, 2018 7:11 am

I just had a look and VIE has 49 gates at the old terminal. There aren't that many departures from that area in the morning so no wonder all these airlines are adding flights, there's a lot of room to be filled.
Will be interesting to see who ends up using air-bridges and who doesn't. My guess is that Vueling will as they already do at many airports around Europe.

Embajador3

Sat May 26, 2018 7:41 am

I wonder if these flights will, indeed, be operated by Laudamotion or by Ryanair (just as they are doing at DUS).
Flying Together

leghorn

Sat May 26, 2018 9:29 am

M O'L said earlier this week that he will only use Ryanair planes i.e. 737 if he can't get Airbus leases at a reasonable price as he wants to show Airbus that he is genuinely interested in operating Airbus planes come next plane order negotiation.

Kilopond

Sat May 26, 2018 9:39 am

It seems that one company has already surendered: the Vienna-based "easyJet Europe Airline GmbH", that is.

Blerg

Sat May 26, 2018 10:35 am

Kilopond wrote:
It seems that one company has already surendered: the Vienna-based "easyJet Europe Airline GmbH", that is.

What do you mean by surrendered?

f4f3a

Sat May 26, 2018 4:14 pm

Had heard rumour that they were going to open a base end of year .

SQ789

Sat May 26, 2018 4:40 pm

How many Ryanair 737's will fly for LaudaMotion?
If it's not Boeing, I'm not going!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos