Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

trexel94
Topic Author

FI begins inaugural service to MCI today

Fri May 25, 2018 5:59 pm

Today is the day! Icelandair begins its first ever flight to Kansas City this evening. This is also MCI's first scheduled flight to Europe and is the end result after 10 years of lobbying to airlines. I'm hopeful this flight will grow beyond seasonal and into year round.

I did a dummy booking for the first two weeks of service and the outbound flights are close to 80% full while inbound flights are only 50%. Yes its largely antidotal but for a new and relatively unknown service in a non-hub, mid sized city is this a good or bad sign? Plus does MCI have the proper catering facilities to provide hot meals for FI business class? I've never seen fresh hot meals served on outbound flights.

Also what are MCI's odds of attracting more EU service particularly once the new terminal opens? Airport management stated they are trying to attract service to LHR and FRA next. I'm guessing FRA would be better done through Condor and not LH but who would be willing to serve LHR? BA, DL, AA? DL is my guess while I could see BA going to STL. DL the second biggest airline at MCI and KC has a lot of Skyteam members. Perhaps a 4x weekly service via 767? I could see MCI eventually growing a network similar to PDX, RDU or BWI. Also what about AMS or CDG instead?

In any case, this is a significant achievement for Kansas City and congrats to all involved. My hometown is moving up!

Read the rest of the story below.
http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/ar ... 99344.html

727tiger

Re: FI begins inaugural service to MCI today

Fri May 25, 2018 6:12 pm

Would love to see a final onto 27, so I can sit in my backyard and watch it fly over this evening. We live off the extended 9/27 centerline.

dochawk2

Fri May 25, 2018 6:12 pm

I am considering this flight just to fly to Europe from MCI! My only experience for Intl travel from MCI is to Toronto in 1998. I do think that the new terminal will generate a lot more attention than people are expecting. While KC will never be anything more than a focus city for an airline or two, it certainly can get more flights from more places. LHR or AMS would be my best guess for a major hub in Europe. But that is slim. But, KC does have some huge international engineering firms and law firms. Who knows?

I am 100% in agreement with you about a SkyTeam airline group doing a metal neutral flight to AMS. That would make my life so much easier. I get so tired of connecting in MSP, DTW, ATL or JFK. CDG would be good as well but I don't think the "French Connection" will pan out.

Cheers!
God, give us wings to fly!

blhp68

Fri May 25, 2018 6:14 pm

trexel94 wrote:
Today is the day! Icelandair begins its first ever flight to Kansas City this evening. This is also MCI's first scheduled flight to Europe and is the end result after 10 years of lobbying to airlines. I'm hopeful this flight will grow beyond seasonal and into year round.

I did a dummy booking for the first two weeks of service and the outbound flights are close to 80% full while inbound flights are only 50%. Yes its largely antidotal but for a new and relatively unknown service in a non-hub, mid sized city is this a good or bad sign? Plus does MCI have the proper catering facilities to provide hot meals for FI business class? I've never seen fresh hot meals served on outbound flights.

Also what are MCI's odds of attracting more EU service particularly once the new terminal opens? Airport management stated they are trying to attract service to LHR and FRA next. I'm guessing FRA would be better done through Condor and not LH but who would be willing to serve LHR? BA, DL, AA? DL is my guess while I could see BA going to STL. DL the second biggest airline at MCI and KC has a lot of Skyteam members. Perhaps a 4x weekly service via 767? I could see MCI eventually growing a network similar to PDX, RDU or BWI. Also what about AMS or CDG instead?

In any case, this is a significant achievement for Kansas City and congrats to all involved. My hometown is moving up!

Read the rest of the story below.
http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/ar ... 99344.html

A few twitter handles to capture the play-by-play: @FriendlySkies1K and @AirlineReporter.

As a KC native, I too, am super excited about this! Overall, I suspect it will be a wait and see approach. FI runs through September, so as the data starts to flow in I am sure the aviation department will leverage in other discussions with carriers. I am not sure how likely another transatlantic flight is though, at least for the next 18-24 months.

dochawk2

Fri May 25, 2018 6:14 pm

727tiger wrote:
Would love to see a final onto 27, so I can sit in my backyard and watch it fly over this evening. We live off the extended 9/27 centerline.

Watch Party up north! Everyone bring your chair, camera, and beverage of choice while tracking the flight on your tablet.

millionsofmiles

Fri May 25, 2018 6:16 pm

e38 wrote:
Quoting trexel94 (thread starter), "Yes its largely antidotal . . .

What is the definition of "antidotal?"

Also, "does MCI have the proper catering facilities to provide hot meals for FI business class?"

Well, do you think Icelandair would be inaugurating service to a new city if they were not able to support the product they provide? I'm not familiar with catering operations at MCI, but my guess would be that whichever company they contract with--perhaps LSG Sky Chefs or Gategourmet--will provide them with whatever level of product for which Icelandair contracts.

e38

Judging by the looks of icelandair's meager Business Class meal offerings in recent trip reports, their catering is very basic and could easily be handled by any caterer.

e38

Fri May 25, 2018 6:21 pm

Also, "does MCI have the proper catering facilities to provide hot meals for FI business class?"

Well, do you think Icelandair would be inaugurating service to a new city if they were not able to support the product they provide? I'm not familiar with catering operations at MCI, but my guess would be that whichever company they contract with--perhaps LSG Sky Chefs or Gategourmet--will provide them with whatever level of product for which Icelandair contracts.

e38

trexel94
Topic Author

Fri May 25, 2018 6:22 pm

727tiger wrote:

You really should try and catch the flight. Its the Aurora livery coming!

dochawk2

Fri May 25, 2018 6:25 pm

trexel94 wrote:
727tiger wrote:

You really should try and catch the flight. Its the Aurora livery coming!

Awesome livery for this flight. That's it. I'm going to try and snap a few pics today.

stlgph

Fri May 25, 2018 6:26 pm

e38 wrote:

e38

Icelandair has a very particular menu. I believe they bring in their catering with them on the inbound flights out of KEF.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

stlgph

Fri May 25, 2018 6:40 pm

of course. and if you go to fly them, get the marriage cake. it's delicious and usually sells out.

e38

Fri May 25, 2018 6:40 pm

"they bring in their catering with them on the inbound flights"

stlgph, that makes sense. Thank you.

e38

factsonly

Fri May 25, 2018 7:08 pm

Ranking of US airports without a link to Iceland .......by annual pax.

Where would MCI sit.....??

and while we are at it, here are the favourite European destinations.

blhp68

Fri May 25, 2018 7:25 pm

factsonly wrote:

and while we are at it, here are the favourite European destinations.

It wouldn't be on this chart. 11,503,936 in 2017.

trexel94
Topic Author

Fri May 25, 2018 8:13 pm

Is WOW Air still considering adding MCI at this point? They initially were going to fly there until they chose STL but stated MCI was still a possibility in 2019. Now that FI is flying the route is WOW Air off the table for good now?

AirbusOnly

Fri May 25, 2018 8:26 pm

WOW AIR is never off the table...they will find other and different destinations like SLC f. e. with a lot of mormon community which is also situated in Iceland.

FlyHappy

Fri May 25, 2018 8:46 pm

AirbusOnly wrote:
a lot of mormon community which is also situated in Iceland.

now these are the kind of nuggets I need more of from a.net ! Had no idea Mormons had any prominence in Iceland. Of course, if your entire population numbers 335,000, the number of a minority group can't exactly be so large.

Still- it'd fascinating if it turned out to be an "untapped market" !

sw733

Fri May 25, 2018 8:53 pm

I'll be on the inaugural MCI-KEF tomorrow, can't wait. I'll do my best to do a trip report, but no promises.

hvusslax

Fri May 25, 2018 9:00 pm

FlyHappy wrote:
AirbusOnly wrote:

now these are the kind of nuggets I need more of from a.net ! Had no idea Mormons had any prominence in Iceland. Of course, if your entire population numbers 335,000, the number of a minority group can't exactly be so large.

I don't know if AirbusOnly was being serious but the entire Mormon population in Iceland could probably fit comfortably on a single flight.

SRQKEF

Fri May 25, 2018 10:21 pm

hvusslax wrote:
FlyHappy wrote:
AirbusOnly wrote:

I don't know if AirbusOnly was being serious but the entire Mormon population in Iceland could probably fit comfortably on a single flight.

Yep, probably even if the flight was a Dash 8...
Nothing compares to taking off in an empty 757 with full thrust!

dochawk2

Fri May 25, 2018 10:49 pm

SRQKEF wrote:
hvusslax wrote:
FlyHappy wrote:

Cessna 172 with a STRONG tail wind?

SRQKEF

Fri May 25, 2018 11:02 pm

dochawk2 wrote:
SRQKEF wrote:
hvusslax wrote:

Including bags!

MIflyer12

Fri May 25, 2018 11:41 pm

factsonly wrote:

Care to put the O&D traffic to that? Otherwise you're just saying ATL is a big airport without Iceland service. We knew that.

flyoregon

Fri May 25, 2018 11:49 pm

SRQKEF wrote:
dochawk2 wrote:
SRQKEF wrote:

Including bags!

There are a total of 284 members of the LDS church in Iceland. Hardly worth using as a convincing point to lure SLC-KEF flights.

https://www.mormonnewsroom.org/facts-an ... ry/iceland

SRQKEF

Sat May 26, 2018 12:35 am

flyoregon wrote:
SRQKEF wrote:
dochawk2 wrote:

Including bags!

There are a total of 284 members of the LDS church in Iceland. Hardly worth using as a convincing point to lure SLC-KEF flights.

https://www.mormonnewsroom.org/facts-an ... ry/iceland

Not sure why you’re quoting me...me and dochawk2 were both saying the Mormon-related traffic isn’t enough to justify a daily Cessna, let alone anything remotely similar to scheduled service. ;)

NWADTWE16

Sat May 26, 2018 5:31 am

smart idea bringing Hekla for the inaugural, myself and others have been peppering their FB thread about the flight, with requests for them to come to our airports. Lots of DTW and even some others besides me asking for RSW. Bring it on FI!!
I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list!

toobz

Sat May 26, 2018 8:17 am

e38[/quote]

Icelandair has a very particular menu. I believe they bring in their catering with them on the inbound flights out of KEF.[/quote]

Do you think so? Doesn’t the aircraft layover with the crew?? or is that just US west coast?

axiom

Sat May 26, 2018 8:23 am

toobz wrote:
e38

Icelandair has a very particular menu. I believe they bring in their catering with them on the inbound flights out of KEF.[/quote]

Do you think so? Doesn’t the aircraft layover with the crew?? or is that just US west coast?[/quote]

Longer distance east coast flights like KEF-TPA/MCO also have an overnight layover Arrive US ~9PM, depart ~7PM next day.. Doubt they are keeping food on the aircraft for 24+ hours before serving.

Sean-SAN-

Sat May 26, 2018 8:40 am

Just because the crew has a layover, doesn't mean the plane does. Although I am interested in the big scheme of things, how the FI crews look at a layover like MCI. Is it desired or lower on the list? I know crews from some countries love to go shopping in the USA...

stlgph

Sat May 26, 2018 8:40 am

Sean-SAN- wrote:
Just because the crew has a layover, doesn't mean the plane does. Although I am interested in the big scheme of things, how the FI crews look at a layover like MCI. Is it desired or lower on the list? I know crews from some countries love to go shopping in the USA...

For Kansas City, the plane lays over with the crew.

stlgph

Sat May 26, 2018 8:45 am

axiom wrote:
toobz wrote:
e38

Icelandair has a very particular menu. I believe they bring in their catering with them on the inbound flights out of KEF.

Do you think so? Doesn’t the aircraft layover with the crew?? or is that just US west coast?[/quote]

Longer distance east coast flights like KEF-TPA/MCO also have an overnight layover Arrive US ~9PM, depart ~7PM next day.. Doubt they are keeping food on the aircraft for 24+ hours before serving.[/quote]

Who says it stays on the plane?

Besides, it's not as if it's just sitting there, out in the open for any bird or bug to come crawling on it. It's made, packed up, stored, and prepared for serving just like any other airplane meal or food you buy at your favorite restaurant.

LOT Polish and Aer Lingus bring their enhanced meals over with them, bring them up during the turn, heat and serve during flight.

eaa3

Sat May 26, 2018 9:06 am

Aircraft that do layovers in the US/Canada are catered at the outstation. Only aircraft that return to Iceland right away are backcatered.

Sean-SAN-

Sat May 26, 2018 9:51 am

stlgph wrote:
Sean-SAN- wrote:

For Kansas City, the plane lays over with the crew.

I stand corrected! Interesting fleet utilization.

mjoelnir

Sat May 26, 2018 10:32 am

toobz wrote:
e38

MCI is done with a layover.

The layover is on flights, where going directly back, would lead to missing the connection bank. The limit is slightly more than 6 hours one way. Let us say 6 hours 30 minutes going west, plus 6 hours going east, will still allow you to hit the bank. 7 hours 45 minutes going west, plus 7 hours going east, would lead to missing the bank.

SRQKEF

Sat May 26, 2018 11:55 am

Sean-SAN- wrote:

As FI has 20+ N-American destinations, and the only layovers FI crews do are on N-American flights anyway, shopping isn’t a factor in how popular MCI is as they have plenty of better choices to choose from (NYC, BOS, MSP, YYZ etc) for that particular dynamic. However, as the flight is less than daily, a 2-night layover is probably popular for those crew members wanting to take their family/friends with them.

SRQKEF

Sat May 26, 2018 12:00 pm

mjoelnir wrote:
toobz wrote:
e38

MCI is done with a layover.

The layover is on flights, where going directly back, would lead to missing the connection bank. The limit is slightly more than 6 hours one way. Let us say 6 hours 30 minutes going west, plus 6 hours going east, will still allow you to hit the bank. 7 hours 45 minutes going west, plus 7 hours going east, would lead to missing the bank.[/quote]

Correct. YEG, MSP and ORD are the longest flights with a turn right back IIRC, meaning the limit is around 3000 miles.

Map showing areas which work for a straight turnaround, along with examples of routes that turn right back (KEF-IAD, KEF-MSP) and those that don’t (KEF-MCO, KEF-SEA):
http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=kef-iad,+k ... rect&DU=mi

axiom

Sat May 26, 2018 12:47 pm

stlgph wrote:
axiom wrote:
toobz wrote:
e38

Do you think so? Doesn’t the aircraft layover with the crew?? or is that just US west coast?

Longer distance east coast flights like KEF-TPA/MCO also have an overnight layover Arrive US ~9PM, depart ~7PM next day.. Doubt they are keeping food on the aircraft for 24+ hours before serving.[/quote]

Who says it stays on the plane?

Besides, it's not as if it's just sitting there, out in the open for any bird or bug to come crawling on it. It's made, packed up, stored, and prepared for serving just like any other airplane meal or food you buy at your favorite restaurant.

LOT Polish and Aer Lingus bring their enhanced meals over with them, bring them up during the turn, heat and serve during flight.[/quote]

The latter carriers don't leave their planes on the ground for a day. That's the point. Offloading and refrigerating that cargo would be an additional and significant cost, beyond the fuel costs and opportunity costs of hauling it over.

stlgph

Sat May 26, 2018 1:05 pm

So? You take it off hire the local cater service and have them deal with it. It doesnt cost a bazillion dollars.

stlgph

Sat May 26, 2018 1:38 pm

And again, look at their menu. Fly on their planes. It's very particular in offerings and presentation. You cant just run over to HyVee and pick up a Hver oatmeal and 24 packs of Applesin and Saemundur beer and embroidered containers telling you about your Icelandic cuisine while enjoying your Wanderlust salad.

axiom

Sat May 26, 2018 2:36 pm

stlgph wrote:
And again, look at their menu. Fly on their planes. It's very particular in offerings and presentation. You cant just run over to HyVee and pick up a Hver oatmeal and 24 packs of Applesin and Saemundur beer and embroidered containers telling you about your Icelandic cuisine while enjoying your Wanderlust salad.

I'm not saying they don't do it. I'm explaining why it is expensive (it is). They may find value in doing so.

I've flown them several times, and I am familiar with the product. Thanks.

NZ321

Sat May 26, 2018 2:45 pm

This is great news indeed. Let's hope this flight is a success such that we might see more follow... the likes of Norwegian or Condor or even BA. Bring it on for MCI.
Plane mad!

Aliqiout

Sat May 26, 2018 3:20 pm

trexel94 wrote:

Also what are MCI's odds of attracting more EU service particularly once the new terminal opens?

I understand what you are trying to say, but Iceland is not in the EU.

e38

Sat May 26, 2018 5:07 pm

stlgph, I have not heard of this process previously.

Are you saying that due to the specialized nature of the menu aboard Icelandair's flights, the aircraft is roundtrip catered in Iceland prior to its departure, then when it reaches the U.S., the food is removed by a local catering company, stored overnight, then re-loaded aboard the aircraft the next day for the return trip to BIKF? Do you know who the company is at Kansas City that does this?

and LOT and Aer Lingus do this as well at U.S. destinations?

e38

Carfield

Sat May 26, 2018 5:23 pm

This was the flight that I really wanted to fly on, but all the discounted J class seats were sold out quickly.

About catering, all the leftover fresh food on international flights have to be literally burned because of the strict agricultural regulation here in the US. Except alcohol and possibly soft drinks and packaged snacks, there were no return catering for fresh food.

I am sure that they will find a local caterer and FI serves pretty basic food even in J (one tray dinner with no bread and a pre-arrival cold meat and cheese plate with croissant).
In Y, it is all BOB and they usually have at least one hot item, like burgers available, and for my CLE inaugural flights, fresh food includes sandwiches and salad.

Carfield

foxecho

Sat May 26, 2018 5:33 pm

Glad to see my former airport snagged the flight...I'll have to nonrev in on it at some point!

Andrew
JFK/MEM/MCI/SYR/
..uh, we'll need that to live......

Indy

Sat May 26, 2018 5:53 pm

Here is the arrival. Nice spotting location.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3tDVAUTQdk

I haven't found a departure video.
IND to RDU to OKC in 18 months. This is what my life has become.

Cactus739

Sat May 26, 2018 6:52 pm

Indy wrote:
Here is the arrival. Nice spotting location.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3tDVAUTQdk

I haven't found a departure video.

First departure isn’t until tonight!

Glad to see Iceair here!
You can't fix stupid.... - Ron White

MCIRNO

Sat May 26, 2018 7:33 pm

NZ321 wrote:
This is great news indeed. Let's hope this flight is a success such that we might see more follow... the likes of Norwegian or Condor or even BA. Bring it on for MCI.

Besides WN, which of the three major USA carriers has the most frequent flyers in the KC metro area? DL? AA? or UA?

I think it's DL and could connect MCI with AMS but what would they use. It seems the ideal aircraft is the 787 but they don't fly them; KLM does however.

Maybe AA or BA could connect it with LHR and they have plenty of 787s with more coming.

DY (or whichever code it is now) would do well too

mjoelnir

Sat May 26, 2018 10:07 pm

I think it is a dream that a lot of airlines will follow FI to connect MCI with Europe. Part of the new destination that FI tries out are on the list, because they are not well connected to Europe or especially not to northern Europe. Look at DEN, they have a connection to LHR with BA and a connection FRA with LH. Or PDX, you have Icelandair to KEF or Delta to AMS.
KEF has more destinations in North America than, CPH, OSL, ARN and HEL combined.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos