Topic Author

Lufthansa Reveals Why It Dropped Yellow From Its Livery (Interview)

Mon May 28, 2018 1:33 pm

According to Lufthansa,"Blue is our leading color as it primarily expresses “premium.” Yellow takes over very specific other functions – in interaction on board, at the airports or in the app."

Full interview here: https://airwaysmag.com/airlines/exclusi ... ed-yellow/

Other options revealed in the story:

Still not happy with the end result! I'll always miss the yellow.
Flying isn't dangerous. Crashing is what's dangerous!

enilria

Re: Lufthansa Reveals Why It Dropped Yellow From Its Livery (Interview)

Mon May 28, 2018 1:41 pm

Too many airlines use blue

JAAlbert

Mon May 28, 2018 2:02 pm

797 wrote:
According to Lufthansa,"Blue is our leading color as it primarily expresses “premium.” Yellow takes over very specific other functions – in interaction on board, at the airports or in the app."

No, yellow denotes style -- which is something I thought LH had.

bunumuring

Mon May 28, 2018 2:16 pm

Hey guys,
I absolutely love this kind of article, especially when the 'design drafts' of other concepts are shown. I read a similar article about the Qantas 'refresh' a couple of years ago but frustratingly it didn't have illustrations of the other colour schemes considered.
Of the concepts shown, none are 'perfect' in my eyes but the the one shown up-thread is my favourite. If it was up to me, I would combine a large silver or yellow crane along the White fuselage (even bigger than the one shown) with the wings going across the tail with the 'Lufthansa Deep Blue' colouring on the tail stretching down over the rear fuselage, and a smaller circled crane at the top of the tail fin in silver or white, positioned kind of like the 'NW' compass logo on Northwest's red tail in its bowling shoe Colourscheme.
Cheers,
Bunumuring
I just wanna live while I'm alive!

Noshow

Mon May 28, 2018 2:19 pm

I think the pure yellow variant looks way better than the pure blue chosen. Blue is so everybody else.

yowza

Mon May 28, 2018 2:53 pm

797 wrote:

This concept is SO much better than the one that was chosen. What a shame!

YOWza

na

Mon May 28, 2018 3:12 pm

yowza wrote:
797 wrote:

This concept is SO much better than the one that was chosen. What a shame!

YOWza

Its more decorative. For many, especially non-designers, that equals better. But it isnt.
That big bird over the tail area reminds me of Canadian in the late 90s. It certainly isnt timeless as the final design chosen. Good brand design always has a minimum of 20 years perspective in mind, and it respects the company history, especially if that is a successful one. I that respect none of the alternatives shown are good. The final design maybe somewhat boring, but its timeless, elegant and "lufthanseatic".

Antarius

Mon May 28, 2018 3:16 pm

This article seems like it was auto generated out of corporate ipsum.

Lots of words, zero things actually said.
2019: SIN HKG NRT DFW IAH HOU CLT LGA JFK SFO SJC EWR SNA EYW MIA BOG LAX ORD DTW OAK PVG BOS DCA IAD ATL LAS BIS CUN PHX OAK SYD CVG PHL MAD ORY CDG SLC SJU BQN MHT YYZ STS BIS DOH BLR KTM MFM MEX MSY BWI DEN

NDiesel

Mon May 28, 2018 3:20 pm

After trying out a bit of photoshopping on the current livery (and the one posted above) - I ended up really liking the new one. It's minimalistic, classy and smart. Adding a large crane feature in either silver or yellow, whether just parts of it or the entire one stretched beyond the tail onto the rear fuselage made me think of Egyptair or some LCC. Then again I'm not a designer..
Delta MD-11 JFK-CDG - Upon sunrise I fell in love with aviation

NZ321

Mon May 28, 2018 3:38 pm

Frankly, I am okay with the livery at the top. This would have been better than what they ended up with which is bland.
Plane mad!

Antarius

Mon May 28, 2018 3:41 pm

NZ321 wrote:
Frankly, I am okay with the livery at the top. This would have been better than what they ended up with which is bland.

One posted in the thread topic (top) looks like Kuwait Airways.
2019: SIN HKG NRT DFW IAH HOU CLT LGA JFK SFO SJC EWR SNA EYW MIA BOG LAX ORD DTW OAK PVG BOS DCA IAD ATL LAS BIS CUN PHX OAK SYD CVG PHL MAD ORY CDG SLC SJU BQN MHT YYZ STS BIS DOH BLR KTM MFM MEX MSY BWI DEN

oldannyboy

Mon May 28, 2018 3:52 pm

Corporate excreta at its best. That's what it is - let's start calling things for what they are folks.
The kind of manure that is produced by large corporations when they are too self-engrossed and when they have too many extravagantly paid managers.

jeffh747

Mon May 28, 2018 3:55 pm

The livery in the post #1 is eons better than the livery they went with. What a huge mistake they made.
A318 A319 A320 A320neo A321 A321neo A332 A333 B717 B727 B734 B73G B738 B739 B752 B762 B763 B772 B788 CRJ2 DHC6 DHC8-300 E145 E190 MD82 MD83 MD90 SF340B

airbazar

Mon May 28, 2018 3:56 pm

JAAlbert wrote:
797 wrote:

No, yellow denotes style -- which is something I thought LH had.

And I always thought it was gold, not yellow.
Maybe SQ should drop the "yellow" from their livery too :rotfl:
Dropping the yellow/gold is an absolute aberration, IMO.

As for the concept in the original post? Garuda called, they want their livery back.
Last edited by airbazar on Mon May 28, 2018 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NYPECO

Mon May 28, 2018 3:56 pm

I'm not sure why they would compare it to buying a blue BMW and "painting the rear mirrors and doors yellow" because a car has completely different shape and coloring. Either way, the new Lufthansa livery isn't as boring as the old one (which was just a white plane with a painted tail), but it really needs some yellow.

Jamie514

Mon May 28, 2018 3:57 pm

I recognize the use of the bs “marketing language” when they repeatedly rely on this “blue identifies with our understanding LH is a premium airline” nonsense as the crux of the argument for the design change.

Its a decent livery but these arguments are a slap in the face to the reality of the literal race to the bottom that is across the board the modern airline travel experience. One where passengers vote on fare price only and not paint color, cabin finishes, the colors in the app, lack of food, lack of personal space or room to turn around in the toilet.

Ultimately those other things are meaningless and they have to try and justify how they spent masses of money on an change that makes them less disrinctive on the tarmac and in the air and wont impact profitability or drive customers to their planes.

49Paralell

Mon May 28, 2018 4:07 pm

I really liked the concept of the liberated crane and the yellow alone does not look good for LH. At the end of the day they got something that was okay...just okay! A missed opportunity in my humble opinion. It needed to change but they missed it. I believe LH knows it and now they justify it. It is a Quantas in blue, and a design that is now out of style already.

Arion640

Mon May 28, 2018 4:15 pm

I do wonder if BA ever plan a refresh. But if it's not broken don't fix it.
223 319 320 321 333 346 359 388 733 73G 738 744 752 753 763 764 772 77E 773 77W 788 789 MD83 E145 E175 E195 RJ85 F70 DH8C DH8D AT75

Brexit - It’s time for global Britain.

Indy

Mon May 28, 2018 4:17 pm

enilria wrote:

If their goal was to make themselves look ordinary... they succeeded. Based on how that design turned out I assume they used a "consultant".
Indy = Indianapolis and not Independence Air

xwb777

Mon May 28, 2018 4:25 pm

In the above photo, posted by the Topic author, the bird on the tail looks similar to Kuwait Airways bird.

Lilienthal

Mon May 28, 2018 4:27 pm

I don't understand why people are so upset about the interview. What they say makes perfect sense. Of course it's PR speak because, you know... it's an interview and they represent Lufthansa.

PlanesNTrains

Mon May 28, 2018 4:56 pm

enilria wrote:

That's why I've enjoyed the AirBaltic and Wideroe liveries on the new aircraft being delivered. Very fresh and bright.
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

Alias1024

Mon May 28, 2018 4:57 pm

As much as I would have liked to have seen LH incorporate yellow into the new livery in some way, I can understand what they are saying when I think about it from the perspective of their brands and what the general public probably sees.

For decades they’ve operated a full service airline, Lufthansa, with blue as the dominant color. They’ve also operated a less premium brand to holiday destinations, Condor, with yellow as the predominant color. Whether they intended to or not, the average German has by this point been conditioned to think of the blue tail as premium and the yellow as not. Very basic associations to those colors that would take a lot of time and money to undo.

The new livery is missing something, some small touch of elegance to not feel spartan, but maybe whatever that is it shouldn’t be yellow.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes.

Bricktop

Mon May 28, 2018 4:58 pm

oldannyboy wrote:
Corporate excreta at its best. That's what it is - let's start calling things for what they are folks.
The kind of manure that is produced by large corporations when they are too self-engrossed and when they have too many extravagantly paid managers.

He shoots, he scores!!!

gadFly

Mon May 28, 2018 5:00 pm

To all who insist on the yellow: LH tried that in the late 80s, and it was a fiasco, because in German culture (just like in English), the "yellow belly" reflects other things... In the case of the tried-and-failed, it was an outright employee rebellion that forced a shift to the one LH had in the 90s and 2Ks. I remember buying a tciket at the LH agency in Washington DC (yeah, pre-internet...), and chatting up the agent. She agreed to show me the brochure, but much as I tried to get a copy, she would not release it, saying it was shameful, and she had written to management to protest.
https://www.airliners.net/photo/Lufthans ... Adv/490353

loalq

Mon May 28, 2018 5:02 pm

Funny that they seem to worry too much about yellow not being premium when LH has never been anything remotely close to premium.
Painting the aircraft blue wont make them premium overnight either.
"...this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem. All four engines have stopped."

PlanesNTrains

Mon May 28, 2018 5:02 pm

With the examples in the article, I think LH made the right choice. The yellow might have made for an interesting EW livery but probably too LH-ish. The first pic in the thread reminded me a lot of Mexicana for some reason, and I never liked that livery.
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

canyonblue17

Mon May 28, 2018 5:05 pm

A livery does no good whatsoever if it doesn't stand out. When it flies over your house at 2,000 feet and you can't tell one livery from another - it fails its purpose. This one clearly fails.
negative ghostrider the pattern is full

Prost

Mon May 28, 2018 5:06 pm

In the article, one of the liveries has the same tail as the ‘secret’ A350 livery being discussed in another thread.
Last edited by Prost on Mon May 28, 2018 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

canyonblue17

Mon May 28, 2018 5:06 pm

If blue is the color that indicates "premium," then why don't they paint the entire aircraft blue?
negative ghostrider the pattern is full

JannEejit

Mon May 28, 2018 5:22 pm

workhorse wrote:
Easy: because having one less color in the livery (actually two, because they got rid of the grey as well), reduces the number of paint buckets to keep in the maintenance shop.

Before, they had to keep one big bucket of white and three small buckets of Blue, yellow and grey. Now, a big bucket of white and a small bucket of blue. Takes less space, easier to provision --> PROFIT!

Also, the overall surface of the plane covered by white color (the cheapest) has increased, while the surface covered by more expensive colors has been reduced --> PROFIT!

This is what today's LH is all about.

So not premium, just cheap. Honestly, that marketing spiel could have been written by Hans Christian Anderson !

JannEejit

Mon May 28, 2018 5:23 pm

A little Air France style 'squiggle' of yellow next to the Lufthansa text would have balanced it out better I think.

workhorse

Mon May 28, 2018 5:24 pm

Easy: because having one less color in the livery (actually two, because they got rid of the grey as well), reduces the number of paint buckets to keep in the maintenance shop.

Before, they had to keep one big bucket of white and three small buckets of Blue, yellow and grey. Now, a big bucket of white and a small bucket of blue. Takes less space, easier to provision --> PROFIT!

Also, the overall surface of the plane covered by white color (the cheapest) has increased, while the surface covered by more expensive colors has been reduced --> PROFIT!

This is what today's LH is all about.

BenflysDTW

Mon May 28, 2018 5:25 pm

It wasn’t bright yellow... it was more gold. And there was only a little bit of it. It’s a small thing, (as the plane is mostly white like every other airliner) but it does seperate Lufthansa from the rest.
I’ve been looking on IG and people are starting to like it, but I still dislike it strongly.

CarlosSi

Mon May 28, 2018 5:34 pm

I think the livery design could have still presented itself as premium without being too bland.

The new livery (the tail specifically) always makes me think of something you’d see on a water bottle, like Smartwater. The pure, clean look is nice, although yeah, still bland.

Luisvalero

Mon May 28, 2018 7:13 pm

new tail livery reminds me to Malaysia Airways current livery...

shankly

Mon May 28, 2018 7:23 pm

Emperors new clothes

The old Lufti gold-yellow of course has its roots in the German flag, which is 1/3rd gold-yellow
L1011 - P F M

AIRT0M

Mon May 28, 2018 7:26 pm

People here should get over it. Passengers don't care. And most a-netters don't care either. There are more important things than the color of a plane.

wjcandee

Mon May 28, 2018 7:41 pm

What a pile of marketing BS that will not actually yield the result they want.

"Sparkling" white denotes comfort blah blah, yellow not premium, blah blah. Over the windows too garish. Oh please.

Reminds me of when NBC paid some geniuses like this like a million in today's money to come up with a new logo, because they were ditching the peacock and associated logos because they weren't current enough. They came up with a stylized N made of like triangles. They had a bunch of BS about why this thing was so great. Two things happened:

(1) Nebraska Public Television sued NBC, because unbeknownst to NBC, Nebraska Public Television had been using the exact same N for years and had the copyright. Oops. Some guy in their graphics department had come up with it for like $300 in materials several years earlier. They had to sue because NBC (doubtless embarrassed) just blew them off in their initial contacts. NBC paid Nebraska Public Television some $$$, and Nebraska shifted to a lower-case n.

(2) When they rolled it out, I remember reading a similar article about the design considerations and what it "evoked" and "connoted" and blah blah blah. Of course, as anybody not a Logo Genius could have told them, the public hated it. Hated it. So after a little while, NBC brought back the peacock, and superimposed it over the middle of the stupid N. After a while, the stupid N disappeared, replaced with an "updated" Peacock, which is NBC's logo to this day.

A very-well-regarded businessman friend of ours made a comment at a meeting a while back when advocating that one person be put in charge of handling a specific issue, rather than appointing a committee to deal with it. He said, "A camel is a horse designed by a committee." Smart man.

I suspect that some CEO with common sense is going to come down the pike in the next few years and decide that this whole thing is crap, and go back to something more sensible.

To suggest that the old livery is unsophisticated and doesn't connote "premium" is just dumb. Yellow is part of the German flag. Yellow is a color associated with quality products from Germany. (Look at any box of Textar brake products, for example.) Anyway, this whole thing smacks of groupthink, and a dumb group at that.

trent900

Mon May 28, 2018 7:44 pm

I still can’t understand why choose a livery that looks like many other airlines liveries. Can anyone answer this then? Big opportunity to design something different and unique wasted in my opinion!

D.

seahawk

Mon May 28, 2018 7:48 pm

shankly wrote:
Emperors new clothes

The old Lufti gold-yellow of course has its roots in the German flag, which is 1/3rd gold-yellow

Nope as the colours were founded when the German flag was different. It simply is the blue from the Deutschen Aero Lloyd and the gold/yellow from Junkers Luftverkehr AG.

Revelation

Mon May 28, 2018 8:26 pm

Lilienthal wrote:
I don't understand why people are so upset about the interview. What they say makes perfect sense. Of course it's PR speak because, you know... it's an interview and they represent Lufthansa.

Really?

We can't have yellow on the plane because it undermines the "premium" look we're going for, but it's perfectly fine for "interaction on board, at the airports or in the app" and this all makes perfect sense?

This is "premium":

This is not premium:

Because, yellow?

I look at the blue-on-white and say, damn they're too cheap to use a bit more color to highlight their logo.

Glowing white? What tosh!

From our DB:

Has wonderful lighting, but has no glow.

I can think of another color that would probably be enhanced by such wonderful lighting....
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

Antarius

Mon May 28, 2018 8:42 pm

Revelation wrote:
Lilienthal wrote:

Really?

We can't have yellow on the plane because it undermines the "premium" look we're going for, but it's perfectly fine for "interaction on board, at the airports or in the app" and this all makes perfect sense?

This is "premium":

This is not premium:

Because, yellow?

I look at the blue-on-white and say, damn they're too cheap to use a bit more color to highlight their logo.

Glowing white? What tosh!

From our DB:

Has wonderful lighting, but has no glow.

I can think of another color that would probably be enhanced by such wonderful lighting....

The issue is, with the lighting and the marketing , the new one is tolerable. Then you see it outside in real life and it looks like a temporary paint job on a formerly mothballed frame that was returning to service.

On the flip side, smart move to show the worst alternatives. Compared to some of these, the new one is thankfully boring.

JoeCanuck

Mon May 28, 2018 8:45 pm

Right in the middle of the 'meh' pack. Designed by a committee of consultants, shown to focus groups composed of only the right kind of forward thinking people, resulting in a rebranding which managed to remove what little sense of craftsmanship was in the previous livery. Just having the circle around the crane in yellow, would have made it pop. If they made the circle and crane yellow, it would have actually looked good.

That's the way of it. Basically, design based on what most of the critics will dislike the least. There must be an Airline Livery App, that airlines are using. Basically, tick the 'crane', 'blue' and 'will offend the least number of people', boxes and voila, new logo and a bonus on the 'no ads' version, they will also write your press release.

Ugh. AC did the same thing with their new logo. The one good thing, it does make the airlines who dare to use colors stand out.
What the...?

Faro

Mon May 28, 2018 9:05 pm

797 wrote:

Full interview here: https://airwaysmag.com/airlines/exclusi ... ed-yellow/

Still not happy with the end result! I'll always miss the yellow.

You know you’ve made a massive, grade-A cock-up of things when you continue justifying your choice of livery to the general public.

Liveries are —or should be— a non-controversial, sleepy subject for public opinion. But LH’s epic and incomprehensible livery downgrade has left multiple shockwaves which are not going away soon. And of all this things, to justify a choice of monochrome is just beyond belief...like Model T’s in Older times, you can enjoy the LH experience in any colour, so long as it’s dark blue...

Just how wrong can you get? Ask LH...

Faro
The chalice not my son

questions

Mon May 28, 2018 9:34 pm

Haha. More corporate marketing BS speak!

They couldn’t test their precious premium blue to see how it would really look outside? WHAT? Are you kidding me? You couldn’t have painted a bunch of sheets of metal white and blue and taken them outside on cloudy days, sunny days, rainy days and at night? Really??

And what about the size of the crane? You made it bigger. Why? How did you get that wrong? Crickets.

This guy would justify a bad design of a trash can with such blather...

We wanted people to feel an emotional connection to the bin they use to discard their used products. To be able to say a fond farewell. To feel good about the experience. We painted the trash cans a unique dark blue to exude that premium feel and to underscore a more sophisticated approach to waste disposal. We spray painted 15 trash cans in different shades of blue in a warehouse to see how they looked. It wasn’t until we produced the trash cans and placed them on retailers’ shelved that we were able to see them in real daylight. We discovered that the signature premium blue looked black and decided to repaint them. And also to make the brand logo larger so that people could see it. This had been one of our most successful brand relaunches. We know people will think premium when they see our trash cans in their neighbors’ driveway.

If Lufthansa leadership is not smart enough to call BS on this design firm, they need to be thrown out. What a waste of money.

LAXLHR

Mon May 28, 2018 10:28 pm

LH knows that the new and revised "new" livery are shit. They know it's globally disliked and comments matter.

Many think that comments muttered on a.net do not have an impact...wrong. Energy is energy and goes everywhere, and has an impact.

To show off the designs that were rejected is more like, "see, could have been worse". NO!. The design in the OP is better. LH messed up, just like BA did with Tails of the World (I actually liked it - but) overall it did not work. Oh LH, I trust you are rethinking this, because your new livery is WACK!!!! The old one just needed a slight tweak and that was all....it was perfect.

Hope BA and AF are hearing this! :-)
BA IB ET JM EA GK PA VS AA SN HP CO W7 WN NW DL UA AC US LH LX OS JL QF QR WY MH CX U2 EK 9W UK TP VY VN LO OK OZ UL SQ LA

707 727 L10 732-NG 741 742 743 744 752 753 762 763 772 773 787 DC8 DC9 DC10 M80 M11 100 AB3 310 318 319 320 321 332 333 342 343 380

DarthLobster

Mon May 28, 2018 10:30 pm

Antarius wrote:
This article seems like it was auto generated out of corporate ipsum.

Lots of words, zero things actually said.

All it’s missing is the word “synergy” shoved in somewhere.

LAXLHR

Mon May 28, 2018 10:30 pm

questions wrote:
Haha. More corporate marketing BS speak!

They couldn’t test their precious premium blue to see how it would really look outside? WHAT? Are you kidding me? You couldn’t have painted a bunch of sheets of metal white and blue and taken them outside on cloudy days, sunny days, rainy days and at night? Really??

And what about the size of the crane? You made it bigger. Why? How did you get that wrong? Crickets.

This guy would justify a bad design of a trash can with such blather...

We wanted people to feel an emotional connection to the bin they use to discard their used products. To be able to say a fond farewell. To feel good about the experience. We painted the trash cans a unique dark blue to exude that premium feel and to underscore a more sophisticated approach to waste disposal. We spray painted 15 trash cans in different shades of blue in a warehouse to see how they looked. It wasn’t until we produced the trash cans and placed them on retailers’ shelved that we were able to see them in real daylight. We discovered that the signature premium blue looked black and decided to repaint them. And also to make the brand logo larger so that people could see it. This had been one of our most successful brand relaunches. We know people will think premium when they see our trash cans in their neighbors’ driveway.

If Lufthansa leadership is not smart enough to call BS on this design firm, they need to be thrown out. What a waste of money.

Very well said! :-). I was thinking the same thing about testing the color on an airfield out of sight. What a massive cock-up!
BA IB ET JM EA GK PA VS AA SN HP CO W7 WN NW DL UA AC US LH LX OS JL QF QR WY MH CX U2 EK 9W UK TP VY VN LO OK OZ UL SQ LA

707 727 L10 732-NG 741 742 743 744 752 753 762 763 772 773 787 DC8 DC9 DC10 M80 M11 100 AB3 310 318 319 320 321 332 333 342 343 380

Goodbye

Mon May 28, 2018 10:35 pm

It makes perfect sense. From a marketing perspective (I work in marketing and graphic design so I know what I'm talking about - not just spouting emotion without any foundation like so many here), the new livery does evoke a much more premium feel than the previous. Dark blue and white is a timeless combination that will always be a "premium" combination. Yellow can cheapen a brand, and with a dated livery like the previous LH one, it didn't relate at all to the way they want to be perceived.
✈︎

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos