Antarius

Re: Lufthansa Reveals Why It Dropped Yellow From Its Livery (Interview)

Mon May 28, 2018 10:47 pm

Goodbye wrote:
It makes perfect sense. From a marketing perspective (I work in marketing and graphic design so I know what I'm talking about - not just spouting emotion without any foundation like so many here), the new livery does evoke a much more premium feel than the previous. Dark blue and white is a timeless combination that will always be a "premium" combination. Yellow can cheapen a brand, and with a dated livery like the previous LH one, it didn't relate at all to the way they want to be perceived.

No disrespect, but I do not think having a marketing background makes you more qualified to judge an end product. Sure you can and may understand the thought process or design process better than most here, but the end product is to be judged by consumers. Words like premium, perception etc are used in rebrandings regularly. I'm sure youthful was used too when GAP rebranded- that was a disaster.

And if several customers hate it, that isnt a good sign. We can justify it in a lot of ways, but the customer is who gets to make the final call
2019: SIN HKG NRT DFW IAH HOU CLT LGA JFK SFO SJC EWR SNA EYW MIA BOG LAX ORD DTW OAK PVG BOS DCA IAD ATL LAS BIS CUN PHX OAK SYD CVG PHL MAD ORY CDG SLC SJU BQN MHT YYZ STS BIS DOH BLR KTM MFM MEX MSY BWI DEN

BojamDelta

Mon May 28, 2018 10:50 pm

workhorse wrote:
To contrast with Lufthansa, look at Finnair. It has two colors too, and white is even more dominant than in LH. And yet, Finnair's livery is classy. Why? Because it has been designed with the brand image in mind, not the cost savings. Think Finland -> snow -> cleanliness -> minimalistic design...

Lufthansa's livery looks cheap because it has been designed to be cheap. All the marketing spin has been added later as justification.

Spot on, agree with you.

Bo)am

Nami

Mon May 28, 2018 11:07 pm

workhorse wrote:
To contrast with Lufthansa, look at Finnair. It has two colors too, and white is even more dominant than in LH. And yet, Finnair's livery is classy. Why? Because it has been designed with the brand image in mind, not the cost savings. Think Finland -> snow -> cleanliness -> minimalistic design...

I have to say I wouldn’t be surprised if the same blunder with the shade of color happened to Finnair as well but they just never bothered to admit and change it. In the renders it clearly looks blue, but in real life it’s much too dark. I like the typeface and tail logo but in my eyes AY’s livery would look so much better with subtle changes, slightly lighter shade of blue and inverted colors in the tail.

Funnily enough reading old interviews from 2010 AY repeated the same mantra as LH now by saying that dark blue is a more dignified color than light blue.

leleko747

Mon May 28, 2018 11:08 pm

Lufthansa just can't accept they made a mistake with their "livery" and wants to justify their choice (AKA shove it down our throats).

No, thanks. LH, you ruined your branding.
I wonder when people will understand:
Embraer 190 or simply E190, not ERJ-190. E-Jets are NOT ERJs!
Boeing 747-8, not Boeing 747-800. Same goes for 787.
Airbus A320, not Airbus 320.
Airbii does not exist.

questions

Mon May 28, 2018 11:14 pm

Goodbye wrote:
It makes perfect sense. From a marketing perspective (I work in marketing and graphic design so I know what I'm talking about - not just spouting emotion without any foundation like so many here), the new livery does evoke a much more premium feel than the previous. Dark blue and white is a timeless combination that will always be a "premium" combination. Yellow can cheapen a brand, and with a dated livery like the previous LH one, it didn't relate at all to the way they want to be perceived.

Ahh, according to the branding paint book yellow translates to cheap. Hence Spirit Airlines’ yellow livery. I always wondered why they chose yellow. Makes perfect sense now. They had to according to the guidelines in the branding paint book! Thanks for clarifying.

Fig Newtons, Juicy Fruit (gum), Gevalia (coffee), Lays (potato chips), French’s (mustard) and (peanut) M&M’s are all down market cheap brands. If the marketing managers wanted to improve margins by raising prices they could execute a strategy to turn them into premium brands by changing the packaging color to dark blue and white. Consumers would automatically assume these brands are premium based on the new packaging and jump at the opportunity to pay more. Wow! What marketing genius. I’m seeing a Harvard Business Review article on the horizon.
Last edited by questions on Mon May 28, 2018 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Motorhussy

Mon May 28, 2018 11:15 pm

Seriously, these guys read like rank amateurs with no airline design experience or empathy for heritage or others’ perception. LH will look back at this stage and think, “Well that was totally unnecessary”.
come visit the south pacific

speedbird52

Mon May 28, 2018 11:41 pm

Antarius wrote:
This article seems like it was auto generated out of corporate ipsum.

Lots of words, zero things actually said.

^^^^ Having Yellow be a prominent feature in marketing and have it nowhere on the actual aircraft isn't branding: It's schizophrenia.

speedbird52

Mon May 28, 2018 11:42 pm

BojamDelta wrote:
workhorse wrote:

Lufthansa's livery looks cheap because it has been designed to be cheap. All the marketing spin has been added later as justification.

Spot on, agree with you.

Bo)am

Perfectly stated

Amsterdam

Tue May 29, 2018 12:59 am

I always thought it wasnt yellow
But ocher or gold or something else than yellow

n757kw

Tue May 29, 2018 1:41 am

I have a simple fix to improve the livery. Paint the crane and the circle yellow. It will then it will be more visible on the tail. The silver crane and circle do not stand out enough on the tail.

I would almost put money on it that will happen in the future.

N757KW
"What we've got here, is failure to communicate." from Cool Hand Luke

UALFAson

Tue May 29, 2018 2:29 am

Goodbye wrote:

This is an honest question: please explain to me/us why the new logo is more "premium."

With oversized logos on aircraft tails being au courant, I can see where the new design is more "contemporary," but I don't understand how making the plane a generic white and blue makes LH seem more premium in the sense of I would spend more money for their product because now I assocaite them as a higher-end airline. Getting rid of a splash of offsetting gold has the power to do that?!
"We hope you've enjoyed flying with us as much as we've enjoyed taking you for a ride."

JoeCanuck

Tue May 29, 2018 3:16 am

n757kw wrote:
I have a simple fix to improve the livery. Paint the crane and the circle yellow. It will then it will be more visible on the tail. The silver crane and circle do not stand out enough on the tail.

I would almost put money on it that will happen in the future.

N757KW

I came to the same conclusion up on post #46. I bet that the yellow circle and crane were one of the finalists, but got voted down, and they only showed us the alternate paint jobs that weren't really in the running.
What the...?

Jamake1

Tue May 29, 2018 4:10 am

Jamie514 wrote:
Its a decent livery but these arguments are a slap in the face to the reality of the literal race to the bottom that is across the board the modern airline travel experience. One where passengers vote on fare price only and not paint color, cabin finishes, the colors in the app, lack of food, lack of personal space or room to turn around in the toilet.

Ultimately those other things are meaningless and they have to try and justify how they spent masses of money on an change that makes them less distinctive on the tarmac and in the air and wont impact profitability or drive customers to their planes.

Brilliant post. Hong Kong Airlines and Cathay Pacific are currently in a bloodbath selling $350 R/T tickets between SFO and HKG. Just how "premium" is the LH brand going to be over the next 20 years when other markets become inundated with ULCC's in the international marketplace?

I do find Lufthansa's new livery perfectly acceptable...for a 737 Boeing Business Jet.
Come fly the sun.

moa999

Tue May 29, 2018 4:52 am

I get the premium concept.

The 'bright' colours are generally used by LCCs - a few examples
Yellow - Scoot (Singapore)
Yellow/black - Vueling
Orange - Easyjet
Orange/red - Jet2
Purple/blue - Eurowings
Purple - Vanilla (Japan)

And Deep Blue / Silver is a pretty classic colour, and I think looks better on the tail then blue / yellow..

I'd think though some more yellow (eg like Qantas's current silver stripe) would work, or a much larger yellow square than the tiny bit they are using.

As for the image at the top of this thread.. horrible. The graduated blue takes away from the focus of the crane.
If you removed the other blue, it would look better, but probably too close to Finnair.

TheRedBaron

Tue May 29, 2018 4:52 am

This new LH CS reminds me of the 90´s Mexicana "darth Vader look" pure unadulterated bull. That can spin it for all they want but I guess DHL yellow CS and LOGO is not classy...LOL

Regards
TRB
The best seat in a Plane is the Jumpseat.

afterburner

Tue May 29, 2018 5:16 am

Antarius wrote:
And if several customers hate it, that isnt a good sign. We can justify it in a lot of ways, but the customer is who gets to make the final call

It is impossible to satisfy ALL customers. It is also ridiculous to say that several people represent millions of customers. Most passengers don't care about livery. The fares and the services are most passenger care about.

seahawk

Tue May 29, 2018 5:17 am

Goodbye wrote:

Especially as the overall branding is top notch. Website, social media and soon airport installations are really better.

Antarius

Tue May 29, 2018 5:45 am

afterburner wrote:
Antarius wrote:

It is impossible to satisfy ALL customers. It is also ridiculous to say that several people represent millions of customers. Most passengers don't care about livery. The fares and the services are most passenger care about.

No disagreement about all customers. by several, I was referring to more than just a handful - the general sentiment has not been particularly positive on this change. Look here, do some google searches. Other than a handful of people here.. and I mean handful.. not particularly positive anywhere.

If we then address the second part of your statement that most customers dont care, then why bother spending millions on consultants and then much more on rebranding and repainting? Occams Razor suggests it does matter.
2019: SIN HKG NRT DFW IAH HOU CLT LGA JFK SFO SJC EWR SNA EYW MIA BOG LAX ORD DTW OAK PVG BOS DCA IAD ATL LAS BIS CUN PHX OAK SYD CVG PHL MAD ORY CDG SLC SJU BQN MHT YYZ STS BIS DOH BLR KTM MFM MEX MSY BWI DEN

afterburner

Tue May 29, 2018 6:05 am

Antarius wrote:
No disagreement about all customers. by several, I was referring to more than just a handful - the general sentiment has not been particularly positive on this change. Look here, do some google searches. Other than a handful of people here.. and I mean handful.. not particularly positive anywhere.

How many is a handful? Yeah, maybe in this forum there are more people who don't like the new livery than those who do. However, how about the general public?
Let's the numbers do the talking. Will the number of passengers rise or drop because of this livery change?

then why bother spending millions on consultants and then much more on rebranding and repainting?

Maybe to attract new customers that do care about a company's image.

SOBHI51

Tue May 29, 2018 6:24 am

Looks very similar to Syrian Air
I am against any terrorist acts committed under the name of Islam

Velocity7

Tue May 29, 2018 6:25 am

All I can see is Qantas but in blue. Now imagine if Qantas & Lufty had a baby - there's boring for you! :lol:

seahawk

Tue May 29, 2018 6:27 am

Antarius wrote:
afterburner wrote:
Antarius wrote:

If we then address the second part of your statement that most customers dont care, then why bother spending millions on consultants and then much more on rebranding and repainting? Occams Razor suggests it does matter.

To modernize the overall branding. The livery is just a small and increasingly unimportant part of it.

EA CO AS

Tue May 29, 2018 6:28 am

I'd have loved to have seen this one with a blue crane and blue titles, or even just both outlined in blue:

"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

aerokiwi

Tue May 29, 2018 6:39 am

Antarius wrote:
Goodbye wrote:

No disrespect, but I do not think having a marketing background makes you more qualified to judge an end product. Sure you can and may understand the thought process or design process better than most here, but the end product is to be judged by consumers. Words like premium, perception etc are used in rebrandings regularly. I'm sure youthful was used too when GAP rebranded- that was a disaster.

Agreed. Marketing and branding disasters are almost always created by... marketing and branding professionals.

Sometimes you need an outside perspective - one removed from the all-knowing insular group of marketing "professionals" - to do a "Yeah but really" test on the justification and outcome. These "pros" got the colour wrong (not from a "where's the yellow" perspective, but just from the basic blue application) as well as the size of the logo. Remarkable. But line 'em up and pay 'em heaps. Those minimlaist, funky design offices, Apple computers and black turtlenecks aren't going to pay for themselves!

Braybuddy

Tue May 29, 2018 6:53 am

Antarius wrote:
One posted in the thread topic (top) looks like Kuwait Airways.

My first impression was Finnair: that wing on the tail looks like a large F. The other designs are gimmicky. I can see why Lufthansa rejected them. People will get over the yellow, once they get used to the new livery.

BenflysDTW wrote:
I’ve been looking on IG and people are starting to like it, but I still dislike it strongly.

What's IG?

seahawk

Tue May 29, 2018 7:10 am

A brand is not about the livery:

https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2015/1 ... s-learned/

See how dated and tacky the old website of LH looked.

oldannyboy

Tue May 29, 2018 7:37 am

DarthLobster wrote:
Antarius wrote:

All it’s missing is the word “synergy” shoved in somewhere.

:rotfl:

How about multi-dimensional, out of the box, proactive and forward-thinking?

oldannyboy

Tue May 29, 2018 8:00 am

Goodbye wrote:
It makes perfect sense. From a marketing perspective (I work in marketing and graphic design so I know what I'm talking about - not just spouting emotion without any foundation like so many here), the new livery does evoke a much more premium feel than the previous.

Please take no offence for what I am about to say....

It is precisely what you are telling us that is the key of the grave misunderstanding behind this epic PR fail: marketing & graphic design teams should precisely work to address the EMOTIONS (..those "spouted" emotions you refer too...) that the brand will convey to the travelling public, and not -as you seem to state- vice versa, i.e. feeding the bloated ego of an elitist group of overpaid turtle-neck-clad "design gurus". That is precisely the problem.
Designers should be working for others and not for themselves.

pa747sp

Tue May 29, 2018 8:45 am

Why not at least a hint of yellow? Like a line of it along the leading or trailing edge of the tail.
Nothing seems as good since the VC10.

Waterbomber

Tue May 29, 2018 9:07 am

You can't blame the designers. At the end of the day, this gets discussed at a board level and the CEO has to sign off on it.
I've been saying for a while now that LH management don't know what they're doing.
Put a group of 16 year old together and they'll probably achieve the same, if not better results.
From far, you can't even make out which airline it is anymore.
That livery is going to be painted on over 270 aircraft.
The previous livery was boring but recognisable. This looks like the funeral version of the previous livery.

At the end of the day, top managers are people like any of us and there are many idiots among us.

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/a51fb4f0-c ... 3d764a8436
You can't give me manure and tell me it's jelly because manure ain't sweet.

JoeCanuck

Tue May 29, 2018 9:12 am

Not all yellow applications are the same. Sure, if huge chunks of the plane are yellow, then it can look garish. On the other hand, yellow or gold, can make excellent and classy contrast/accent colors...especially with blue. The US navy Blue Angels paint scheme, is a perfect example of that...and a little accent is what the new LH livery desperately needs.

I'm sure somebody in here can spray some yellow on the circle and the bird to give us a look at what might have been...and yet may still, at some point, be.
What the...?

FatCat

Tue May 29, 2018 9:32 am

Planes these days are all long white tubes with some colour in the tail.
90% of the liveries are so damn boring.
Aeroplane flies high
Turns left, looks right

Jomar777

Tue May 29, 2018 9:42 am

I think it would be better to say the true: removing the Yellow made painting the planes cheap. Unless LH was considering between blue and full orange and brown stripped planes, their argument does not make sense.

If anything, they surrendered originality and innovation losing a great opportunity to proactively lead from the front in matters of corporate livery. Instead of choosing an approach which defies the present status-quo in regards to corporate livery, they opted to become a "led by others" entity (this last paragraph was intentionally set to be a pun corporate statement...)

Loew

Tue May 29, 2018 9:55 am

Oh yes, the new livery is so exclusive and premium looking, it looks like a cargo airline.

skipness1E

Tue May 29, 2018 10:11 am

Goodbye wrote:

Yes I work alongside marketing and one thing I learned about branding experts is
1) They all want to go to Cannes and enjoy grindr (no, really, no joke)
2) They design for the eyes of other "experts" and the client is just a by-product of this

KLDC10

Tue May 29, 2018 10:13 am

I think a few of the comments here are entirely unfair towards the two Gentlemen who were interviewed for the article. I'd like to point out that Ronald Wild has been an in-house designer at Lufthansa for years now, and that it was he who led the project to adapt the 1970s/80s retro livery for the Boeing 747-8. You can watch a short film about that project, featuring Wild here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjw0oEeFisM

Describing the designers as "rank amateurs" is not only insulting, it's plain wrong. They are designers working for one of the best airlines in the world - they are at the very top of their field.

Thirdly; this suggestion that they had no respect for the Lufthansa design is also erroneous. The article is very clear that the entire process was undertaken with respect for the brand and its history. I've quoted a portion from the interview below for reference:
(https://airwaysmag.com/airlines/exclusi ... ed-yellow/)

"Ronald Wild: It was always present to us that we were working on an icon. You don’t change these without a valid reason, and of course, that includes sleepless nights.

Because everyone, of course, has this yellow disk on the Lufthansa tails in his mind as it was on our aircraft for 30 years. But now, when I drive around the ramp and see the new livery in context, I am very happy we took this step.

From now on, it’s no longer the yellow disk standing for Lufthansa, but clearly the crane."

In every interview I've seen or read with these guys, they demonstrate a tremendous amount of respect for the history of the airline and are able to clearly explain and articulate the reasons for the changes they've made. I don't know how many people here have actually seen the new branding as applied in real life across the entire passenger experience, but I have and it is a vast improvement. It's cleaner, crisper and far, far more disciplined than the old branding. And yes, the airplanes look good - even on a gray morning in Munich.

Finally, I'd like to quote Herr Schaublitz, because he offers a great explanation about why Lufthansa chose to take the "simple" route instead of opting for something which might be eye-catching for a year or two but age horribly:

"Schlaubitz: The crane is a unique logo. It is as timeless as our entire design. It will be a unique feature for the next 20 years or longer, taking our premium concept to many countries around the world.

Currently, there are multiple trends in airline brand design: The trend towards simplicity and clarity on one side, which we are pursuing.

But also the attempt to score and create awareness with short-lived design gimmicks.

That wasn’t our aim, but we understand why various competitors might have taken that road."
Last edited by KLDC10 on Tue May 29, 2018 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
DC9/MD90/MD11/F70/BAE146
737/738/739/744/748/752/763/772/789
A319/A320/A321/A332/A333/A346/A359
Q400/E170/E175/E190/CS300

Waterbomber

Tue May 29, 2018 10:27 am

KLDC10 wrote:
I think a few of the comments here are entirely unfair towards the two Gentlemen who were interviewed for the article. I'd like to point out that Ronald Wild has been an in-house designer at Lufthansa for years now, and that it was he who led the project to adapt the 1970s/80s retro livery for the Boeing 747-8. You can watch a short film about that project, featuring Wild here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjw0oEeFisM

Describing the designers as "rank amateurs" is not only insulting, it's plain wrong. They are designers working for one of the best airlines in the world - they are at the very top of their field.

Thirdly; this suggestion that they had no respect for the Lufthansa design is also erroneous. The article is very clear that the entire process was undertaken with respect for the brand and its history. I've quoted a portion from the interview below for reference:
(https://airwaysmag.com/airlines/exclusi ... ed-yellow/)

"Ronald Wild: It was always present to us that we were working on an icon. You don’t change these without a valid reason, and of course, that includes sleepless nights.

Because everyone, of course, has this yellow disk on the Lufthansa tails in his mind as it was on our aircraft for 30 years. But now, when I drive around the ramp and see the new livery in context, I am very happy we took this step.

From now on, it’s no longer the yellow disk standing for Lufthansa, but clearly the crane."

In every interview I've seen or read with these guys, they demonstrate a tremendous amount of respect for the history of the airline and are able to clearly explain and articulate the reasons for the changes they've made. I don't know how many people here have actually seen the new branding as applied in real life across the entire passenger experience, but I have and it is a vast improvement. It's cleaner, crisper and far, far more disciplined than the old branding. And yes, the airplanes look good - even on a gray morning in Munich.

Finally, I'd like to quote Herr Schaublitz, because he offers a great explanation about why Lufthansa chose to take the "simple" route instead of opting for something which might be eye-catching for a year or two but age horribly:

"Schlaubitz: The crane is a unique logo. It is as timeless as our entire design. It will be a unique feature for the next 20 years or longer, taking our premium concept to many countries around the world.

Currently, there are multiple trends in airline brand design: The trend towards simplicity and clarity on one side, which we are pursuing.

But also the attempt to score and create awareness with short-lived design gimmicks.

That wasn’t our aim, but we understand why various competitors might have taken that road."

I bow to the Michelangelo of Lufthansa. Only he could make every LH plane look like it is having its last supper.
Behold the greatness of Lufthansa. The premium colored airline.
I heard that the pope is considering having this designer come redo the Sistine Chapel. Michelangelo was too blunt putting nudity in there and all, but this guy is perfect for the job. Dull and boring is the way it should be.

Perhaps we should give him a nickname. Il braghettone sounds perfect.

OA940

Tue May 29, 2018 10:41 am

Why do the last two look better than the actual one...
A350/CSeries = bae

JeremyXWB

Tue May 29, 2018 10:44 am

EA CO AS wrote:
I'd have loved to have seen this one with a blue crane and blue titles, or even just both outlined in blue:

Everybody's bashing LH for dropping the yellow, but IMO, this only yellow version looks a lot worse, very LCC-esque. If it was between the actual new livery and the one above, I'd choose the blue one any day.

Bricktop

Tue May 29, 2018 11:16 am

oldannyboy wrote:
DarthLobster wrote:
Antarius wrote:

Can we circle back on that later?

oldannyboy

Tue May 29, 2018 11:44 am

Bricktop wrote:
oldannyboy wrote:
DarthLobster wrote:

Sure, after laterally expanding our conversation with external stakeholders on a wider platform that is collegially shared among peer-reviewed expert panels, and cohesively adjusted vis-à-vis the non-internal pressures being adversely excised on the discourse and affecting the scope of the basics.

FatCat

Tue May 29, 2018 12:20 pm

oldannyboy wrote:
Bricktop wrote:
oldannyboy wrote:

Sure, after laterally expanding our conversation with external stakeholders on a wider platform that is collegially shared among peer-reviewed expert panels, and cohesively adjusted vis-à-vis the non-internal pressures being adversely excised on the discourse and affecting the scope of the basics.

Why are you two talking like everyone in every business meeting since always :rotfl:
Aeroplane flies high
Turns left, looks right

Revelation

Tue May 29, 2018 12:21 pm

Goodbye wrote:

Say it enough times and it becomes true?

I think you've been indoctrinated in a groupthink that you can't let go of.

There's nothing more 'premium' about the new livery.

If anything I'd think of the new livery as more 'bland' not more 'premium'.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

petertenthije

Tue May 29, 2018 12:53 pm

The fact that the designers felt it necessary to explain their livery should be enough of an indication that the livery is a failure.
Attamottamotta!

EA CO AS

Tue May 29, 2018 1:20 pm

seahawk wrote:
A brand is not about the livery.

True; it’s about the emotional connection and response a consumer has with that brand, but the livery is an element of what drives that for the consumer.

So when a segment of your customer base has a very negative response to an element of your brand being changed, you’ve done something wrong.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

truckofpigeons

Tue May 29, 2018 1:22 pm

I like to give these new liveries a chance and avoid being nostalgic. American Airlines took some getting used to, but actually seeing them on approach to LHR, from my old house in Brixton, there's absolutely no missing that giant US flag on the tail.

The new design for LH looks great in many ways, but I still think leaving out the yellow was a mistake. The crane is rather lost in that sea of blue, and the whole thing comes across as not very distinctive. Making the ring yellow, as some here drafted, draws attention to the crane, and links the tail with the yellow elsewhere in their branding. At the moment there's a real disconnect between the logo and the yellow splodges, which just look a bit random now.

aemoreira1981

Tue May 29, 2018 1:37 pm

yowza wrote:
797 wrote:
Other options revealed in the story:

This concept is SO much better than the one that was chosen. What a shame!

YOWza

At the same time, the crane screams Lufthansa. I actually would have added a crane to the nose as well. Also of note...other than the LH Group airlines in Switzerland (Swiss and Edelweiss), no other fully-owned LH Group airline has billboard-style livery as a standard livery. This concept could also be applied to Austrian, and already exists with Eurowings, Germanwings, and Brussels Airlines, where the grey belly could be eliminated, along with a standard typeface for all LH Group (fully-owned) airline brands.

Dominion301

Tue May 29, 2018 1:44 pm

Here's the real reason why yellow was dropped: $$$ MONEY $$$

It's far cheaper for to paint an aircraft Eurowhite with a splash of 1 colour vs the old livery that was white, grey, blue and yellow/gold.

Don't you love how the alleged "premium" airlines have the bland, tasteless Eurowhite liveries (EI/KL/BA excluded), whereas the LCCs/ULCCs have the bright/colourful/attractive liveries (W6/FR/U2, etc.)?

The only question nowadays is which 'premium' carrier has the worst livery? IB, LH, AY, JL, MU, etc., etc....there's so many of them that went from 'premium' to trash that it's tough to pick just one.

HKows

Tue May 29, 2018 1:45 pm

my Thoughts on the LH livery:
Interestingly, my initial thought on the MIAT Mongolian livery update was
"that gold/yellow looks cheap" and I wasn't happy with the change of the Logo itself to the yellow/gold horse head

vs

But on the other Hand, the old simple livery looks now even cheaper.
the yellow accent really lifts the livery and thats what I really feel about LH

the new LH livery really seems a bit cheaper and boring compared to the old "eggyellow- Spiegelei"
I can see the point in trying to be Premium since my initial feeling on the OM livery update was "that looks cheap"
but the new livery is typical "we don't want to risk it, lets play it safe."
I think with a little more backbone from inside the LH board, there would have been a new logo with the yellow and still premium.

besides: the whole LHG livery are boring. AUA looks like easy jet in red with their engine cowling covered with that hideous "Austrian.com" and the Swiss, well boring as always. but I guess inside the LHG no one has the permission to outshine LH, which they just made harder. (oh the irony)

Newbiepilot

Tue May 29, 2018 1:47 pm

I am not seeing any reference to what was probably a key deciding factor. A two color livery is cheaper to paint than a three color livery. Airbus and Boeing offer three color liveries for free (excluding tail art). A fourth color costs more, so that is why the vast majority of livieres are three colors.

Lufthansa has a mature fleet that needs repairing. Using two colors skips a step and is cheaper.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos