Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

TurboJet707

Re: Lufthansa Reveals Why It Dropped Yellow From Its Livery (Interview)

Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:51 am

FatCat wrote:
Anyone has some news about re-painted A346s?
Can't wait to see it in the new livery. :-)

Hmmm yes, that will indeed be interesting. The A346 has a relatively small tail, so 99% of the plane will be white, white, white. The new LH 'livery' works best on planes with relatively large tail sections, like the 744 and A380; I expect that it will be out of balance on the A346, just like on the CRJ. We'll know it soon.

FatCat

Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:05 am

TurboJet707 wrote:
FatCat wrote:
Anyone has some news about re-painted A346s?
Can't wait to see it in the new livery. :-)

Hmmm yes, that will indeed be interesting. The A346 has a relatively small tail, so 99% of the plane will be white, white, white. The new LH 'livery' works best on planes with relatively large tail sections, like the 744 and A380; I expect that it will be out of balance on the A346, just like on the CRJ. We'll know it soon.

MD-11 also has a small tail section, due to the engine:

Aeroplane flies high
Turns left, looks right

modernArt

Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:17 pm

seahawk wrote:
And to be honest outside the aviation nerds the reaction is overly positive: https://www.underconsideration.com/bran ... _house.php

FWIW, Under Consideration is hardly the musings of design professionals...its graphic design nerds instead of aviation nerds. Reading comments there makes me realize my profession (graphic design) is full of some of the most unlikable idiots imaginable.

That said, everything about the new Lufthansa branding is well done. They fell short on the aircraft livery...and they know they did. And it will likely be 'revised or enhanced' at some point.

TurboJet707

Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:20 pm

FatCat wrote:
MD-11 also has a small tail section, due to the engine:

Yes, the vertical stabilizer itself is relatively small, but the entire tail construction is quite big when you include the no. 2 engine, it's the most eyecatching part of the plane.
I estimate the LH Cargo MD11 is 85% white and 15% blue (so it more or less works), the A346 will be 97% white and 3% blue (so it will probably look totally out of balance).

garpd

Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:22 pm

Their new livery still makes them look like Qantas to me. No amount of official chit chat from the powers that be will change my mind on that.
If this is the best they could come up with, it shows a lack of imagination. And it makes me suspect their onboard product my suffer from the same. They were already dull and boring.

Not dissing the word mark and crane logo. Those are perfectly fine. Even dropping the yellow is fine. But the Livery seems so much of an "Oh yeah, we need that".
arpdesign.wordpress.com

seahawk

Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:26 pm

modernArt wrote:
seahawk wrote:
And to be honest outside the aviation nerds the reaction is overly positive: https://www.underconsideration.com/bran ... _house.php

FWIW, Under Consideration is hardly the musings of design professionals...its graphic design nerds instead of aviation nerds. Reading comments there makes me realize my profession (graphic design) is full of some of the most unlikable idiots imaginable.

That said, everything about the new Lufthansa branding is well done. They fell short on the aircraft livery...and they know they did. And it will likely be 'revised or enhanced' at some point.

I fully agree with you, I just wanted to point out that the rebranding was not a disaster. Brand recognition is still positive and high, while the overall feedback is positive. The livery is not one of the strongest points of the rebranding, but imho also not bad, just boring. But hten boring (in a positive way) fits to LH for me.

speedbird52

Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:20 pm

Honestly, I feel like the lack of yellow is far from the biggest problem. If you took out yellow from the old livery, it would still look timeless. The thing that bugs me is the fact that with the exception of the tail, the entire airplane is just white. There isn't any color on the engines, and there is nothing on the underbelly. They didn't even have the sense to keep the small crane on the nose!

Delta777Jet

Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:09 pm

The livery is simply cheap. But it fits in the Lufthansa Strategy. No one will remember Lufthansa anyway in Europe as (besides Frankfurt and Munich) everything in Germany and Europe will be covered by Eurowings. Lots of passengers tell me that Lufthansa stopped flying to Berlin, Cologne and Hannover. And its true. Its only the Frankfurt and Munich flights, everything else is like their color scheme, cheap...... Eurowings (which has a better livery than Lufthansa anyways).
I still miss Trans World Airlines and the L-1011

LH779

Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:43 pm

Delta777Jet wrote:
"No one will remember Lufthansa anyway in Europe as (besides Frankfurt and Munich) everything in Germany and Europe will be covered by Eurowings.

Yeah, it's quite amazing, they have flights on FRA-MUC every minute since they need to use their fleet of 200+ narrowbody and regional aircraft for something and the only 2 destinations left are FRA and MUC. :roll:

Will Europe forget BA, AF and IB too? They basically only fly from London, Paris and Madrid. What is different with LH that by shifting the non hub traffic to 4U and then EW they become irrelevant in Europe?

KLDC10

Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:59 pm

Delta777Jet wrote:
The livery is simply cheap. But it fits in the Lufthansa Strategy. No one will remember Lufthansa anyway in Europe as (besides Frankfurt and Munich) everything in Germany and Europe will be covered by Eurowings. Lots of passengers tell me that Lufthansa stopped flying to Berlin, Cologne and Hannover. And its true. Its only the Frankfurt and Munich flights, everything else is like their color scheme, cheap...... Eurowings (which has a better livery than Lufthansa anyways).

Lufthansa operates dozens of flights per day out of Berlin Tegel to Frankfurt and Munich, and they fly to other German airports like Stuttgart and Hamburg from those hubs too.
With the expansion of EasyJet and now LaudaMotion, the Berlin Market is going to be a bloodbath. Why waste resources developing a pointless hub there when you already have two perfectly serviceable hubs in Frankfurt and Munich? Routing traffic through FRA and MUC is a sensible strategic decision.

Eurowings competes directly with Easyjet, but there also exists the opportunity to purchase a more premium experience, with free drinks and snacks as one might expect aboard a regular Lufthansa flight. The business traveler, and the traveler seeking extra comfort, is not ignored by Eurowings.
DC9/MD90/MD11/F70/BAE146
737/738/739/744/748/752/763/772/789
A319/A320/A321/A332/A333/A346/A359
Q400/E170/E175/E190/CS300

blink182

Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:02 pm

I get the need to differentiate LH's premiumness from Eurowings and external competitors, but having seen both 747s and the A321 over a few trips to FRA recently, the new livery surrounded by the older scheme only made the new scheme appear dreary and dark, and I realized the yellow has an illuminating, almost halo-like, effect on the scheme. Internally, given how dreary FRA's facilities are, the yellow on signs and check in desks does a lot to brighten the place up.

I get that LH wants to be--and is--a premium carrier, but premium and serious don't have to be dreary. Why couldn't they have introduced a more gold colored yellow for the ring and crane while filling in the circle with blue? It's too early to tell, but I'm curious to see what a sizeable lineup of yellow-less tails looks like. I'll form a more solid opinion then, but for now while the 744 is an improvement, the yellow now ironically looks better than it ever has.
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...

CarlosSi

Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:04 am

The blue is certainly a nice color, like that of my suit. But what about the color white? Nobody seems to talk about this color. Don't people perceive this color as "bland" and "cheap"? Those meanings don't say "premium" to me.

I second this notion; what makes Lufthansa more premium than some of its immediate competitors and allies such as United, BA, Air China,etc, to warrant a livery design that makes itself distinguishable as such? A premium airline is La Compagnie, all business class (at least, that's what premium means to me; premium service and product). I can tell you a lot of people on Lufthansa didn't choose to fly with them because it's "premium", but rather because they offered the cheapest fare among other carriers. It (LH) is trying to be something it isn't.

Trogdor

Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:39 am

"Yellow and blue used in the same share come across as being too “loud” and not premium."

Obviously....

Revelation

Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:59 pm

OK, did a.net photog Yochai Mossi just find a way to make the new livery look acceptable if not good?

The logo on the tail glows like a jewel.

Now, how to make that happen during mid-day sun?
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

JoeCanuck

Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:12 am

Trogdor wrote:
"Yellow and blue used in the same share come across as being too “loud” and not premium."

Obviously....

Best chuckle of the day. Thanks.

Revelation wrote:
OK, did a.net photog Yochai Mossi just find a way to make the new livery look acceptable if not good?

The logo on the tail glows like a jewel.

Now, how to make that happen during mid-day sun?

Maybe paint the logo yellow...? As a side note, I wonder what their opinion is of the yellow in the German flag.
What the...?

Mortyman

Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:29 am

I've been to both Munich and Frankfurt in the last two weeks and needless to say I've seen alot of Lufthansa aircraft, yet not a single one in the new livery …. strange … I realise that it takes time to repaint, b ut still, not one in the new livery ...

artofzen

Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:32 am

Trogdor wrote:

Obviously....

SQ use gold..

JoeCanuck

Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:08 am

In the same way that eggshell, cream, bone, snow, ivory and vanilla are all basically white...gold is basically yellow.
What the...?

c7aero

Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:39 am

LH's "new "modern, sophisticated" livery resembles that of Romania's TAROM, probably one of the least modern and sophisticated liveries around. /Volumes/c7 HDD/c7edw/Desktop/TAROM A310.jpg
Lifetime miles flown so far: + – 3.2 million.
Airports in 2018 in cron order: BON CUR AUA MIA SCL JFK LHR HEL BKK HKT DEL IXM MAA VNS HJR UDR BOM IXU LIM MEX FLL ORD ZCO PUQ PMC DFW SNA SEA DUS RTM LCY DUB LGA EZE IGR AEP GRU MAD ARN GOT BRU CGN STN SNN

afterburner

Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:04 am

JoeCanuck wrote:
In the same way that eggshell, cream, bone, snow, ivory and vanilla are all basically white...gold is basically yellow.

SQ's and LH's yellows are different. LH's yellow is more similar to Scoot's.

Pcoder

Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:22 am

As this livery is extremely bland and forgettable, we should almost start a contest on when this will be replaced. I'm tipping that it will be a year after the next major management reshuffle.

I think a major problem with the livery was that it looked better in renders, which would probably also explain why they had the issue with the dark paint job in real life use.

kraz911

Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:58 pm

Hello all,
I still think it’s because Spirit bought all the yellow for their buses...

JannEejit

Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:01 pm

I must admit, I thought the little extra splash of colour on the forward fuselage for their World Cup A321 made all the difference and helped to balance out the tail. Maybe something similar to the BA Chatham flag with a stylised German flag and similarly sized as to on the 'Flying Man Shaft'. :D

artofzen

Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:25 pm

JoeCanuck wrote:

Never heard of it being called metallic yellow, all yellows are non-metallic.

SGSnow

Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:32 am

Just to reiterate, SQ uses gold now. Yellow was when the airline first started out before they changed to gold.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
SQ aircraft model collector.

NickWebb

Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:30 am

As this livery is extremely bland and forgettable, we should almost start a contest on when this will be replaced. I'm tipping that it will be a year after the next major management reshuffle.

I think a major problem with the livery was that it looked better in renders, which would probably also explain why they had the issue with the dark paint job in real life use.

The livery will NOT be changed after one year. It is timelessly classy and to say that it looked better in renders is simply a thoughtless comment.
[photoid][/photoid]/Users/nickwebb/Desktop/FullSizeRender.jpg

FatCat

Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:53 am

NickWebb wrote:

The livery will NOT be changed after one year. It is timelessly classy and to say that it looked better in renders is simply a thoughtless comment.

I will say not in at least 10 years.
Aeroplane flies high
Turns left, looks right

oldannyboy

Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:41 am

artofzen wrote:
JoeCanuck wrote:

Never heard of it being called metallic yellow, all yellows are non-metallic.

Incorrect, cue the Ford Focus colour palette.

LY777

Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:00 am

Although LH new livery is disappointing, I guess some other new liveries are even worse: Finnair, China Eastern (too much white), JAL (too much white), Iberia (looks like a low cost livery)
Flown:717,727,732,733,734,735,738,73H,742/744/748,752,753,762/2ER/763/3ER,772/77E/773/77W, 788, 789, DC8,DC10,E190,E195,MD83,MD88, L1011, A3B2,A319,A320-100/200,A321,A332/A333,A343,A388

EPA001

Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:25 pm

LY777 wrote:
Although LH new livery is disappointing,

Well, it will always remain a matter of personal opinions. I think the livery, as part of a much larger corporate restyling operation, has turned out to be quite good. Some say if have to explain your choices it is not good, but I think the opposite; the livery change is impactful (positive and negative) and therefore stands out. And for what it is worth, I don't see LH losing any customers over it. ;)