Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

FLLJAXMCO
Topic Author

College Football Charter Question?

Tue May 29, 2018 7:14 pm

I had a quick question about runway length/width and aircraft type. So Virginia Tech will be playing my Seminoles on Labor Day Monday (very excited) and in my effort to kill some time during the offseason, I noticed that Virginia Tech usually flies from KROA on a B738 with runways 6800x150 and 5810x150.

They are currently expanding the on campus airport, KBCB, to a runway length of 5,500 from 4,500 (http://www.roanoke.com/business/news/bl ... d9558.html) the only problem is that the runway is only 100 ft. wide.

I notice that UGA flies from Athens on two 717-200s and the runway there is 6122x100. Would it be possible for VT to run a B738 out of there or do you think they will continue to make the 40 minute or so drive to KROA?

EvanWSFO

Re: College Football Charter Question?

Wed May 30, 2018 12:53 am

Seems to be like 3 months too soon to start a football thread don't ya think?
I have been on this site 15 years. A unrecoverable email account led me to starting over. Those of you who call me a rookie, you may stop ok?

32andBelow

Wed May 30, 2018 1:09 am

The 717 engines aren’t out on the wings so it’s probaby better on more narrow runways.

WkndWanderer

Wed May 30, 2018 1:13 am

Boeing says that the 737 is capable of operating from 100 ft wide runways, but that "the FAA recommends the runway width criteria for
the 737-700/-800/-900 is 150 ft (45 m) due to its maximum certificated takeoff weight." It doesn't look like anyone is expecting any aircraft that size to operate there though. I'm also not sure what sort of payload it could reasonably carry either, it's not crazy high, but it's something around 2200 ft field elevation.

http://www.boeing.com/assets/pdf/commer ... ps/737.pdf
Last edited by WkndWanderer on Wed May 30, 2018 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

mtnwest1979

Wed May 30, 2018 1:14 am

It is never too early to talk about college football. If you think so, why did you look at it??
Riddle: Which lasts longer, a start-up airline or a start-up football league?

Elementalism

Wed May 30, 2018 2:23 am

Go Noles!

JAGflyer

Wed May 30, 2018 2:41 am

Once again, as a Canadian I am still amazed at how much excitement Americans have for college athletics. Up here, nobody cares about college/university athletics beyond the current student body of the school. The idea of chartering planes for fans to watch the games is such a foreign concept.
If you flew today, thank a Flight Dispatcher!

USAIRWAYS321

Wed May 30, 2018 2:50 am

Washington State charters Alaska 738s from Pullman/Moscow Regional, which is a 6730' x 100' runway.

Elementalism

Wed May 30, 2018 3:09 am

JAGflyer wrote:
Once again, as a Canadian I am still amazed at how much excitement Americans have for college athletics. Up here, nobody cares about college/university athletics beyond the current student body of the school. The idea of chartering planes for fans to watch the games is such a foreign concept.

These charters we are talking about are for the team, not fans.

Beardown91737

Wed May 30, 2018 4:33 am

EYW is 100' wide and has mainline aircraft.

JAGflyer wrote:

Then it works just fine because we are foreigners.

I don't know if we love sports more than any other country, or if our regional rivalries are fiercer than they are elsewhere. The answer to both is probably no. Maybe it is because the membership of our top level leagues is fixed. We have minor league teams across the country, but they exist only to feed the parent teams, so the college programs are the identification which can solve the dilemma over whether Kansas is a better state than Nebraska, which are both areas that will not see professional sports. Also since football started on the college level, and pro basketball didn't take off until the 1950s, college was where the rivalries formed first.

My daughter is an Arizona alum, and I sat quietly aboard AA549 surrounded by Scum Devils who had earned their way to the Women's College World Series of softball. Shout out to the crew member who acknowledged the team in "purple"shirts. Hopefully it was a deliberate troll.
135 hrs PIC (mostly PA-28) - not current. Landings at MDW, PIA, JAN.

FLLJAXMCO
Topic Author

Wed May 30, 2018 3:14 pm

WkndWanderer wrote:
Boeing says that the 737 is capable of operating from 100 ft wide runways, but that "the FAA recommends the runway width criteria for
the 737-700/-800/-900 is 150 ft (45 m) due to its maximum certificated takeoff weight." It doesn't look like anyone is expecting any aircraft that size to operate there though. I'm also not sure what sort of payload it could reasonably carry either, it's not crazy high, but it's something around 2200 ft field elevation.

http://www.boeing.com/assets/pdf/commer ... ps/737.pdf

Interesting. I checked on PUW as the poster below stated and it's elevated at 2554. I'm not sure they are expecting anything bigger to operate their either based on the article but we'll see come the fall.

USAIRWAYS321 wrote:
Washington State charters Alaska 738s from Pullman/Moscow Regional, which is a 6730' x 100' runway.

Interesting. I thought they always flew from Spokane.

Beardown91737 wrote:
EYW is 100' wide and has mainline aircraft.

Never knew that, thanks!

FLLJAXMCO
Topic Author

Wed May 30, 2018 3:15 pm

Elementalism wrote:
Go Noles!

GO NOLES!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos