Ziyulu

Re: Surprisingly, Airlines in North America fare well on customer satisfaction

Thu May 31, 2018 12:18 pm

FirstBizFlyer wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:
Ziyulu wrote:
No free snacks at all.

Patently false. Free snacks are offered on every AS flight.

There are no free snacks on VX, and the SFO - AUS route is on VX metal. Hopefully, the service between AS and VX metal will align soon. Although, I find it kind of ridiculous that people make such a huge deal over free snacks lol

Remember, VX does not exist anymore. AS is the operating carrier.

ricport

Re: AS, WN win JD Power awards

Thu May 31, 2018 1:01 pm

To each his/her own, but I honestly don't understand WN's appeal. The times I've unfortunately flown them, check in is chaotic (complete with the inevitable classy mother not bothering to walk a few steps into the bathroom to change her baby's diaper), the boarding bingo (where you get to walk up to complete strangers and ask, "Are you A12? I'm A 11!") is terminally bothersome; as there's no assigned seats, you get to scramble for a seat once onboard like a pack of starving raccoons over a trash can; and I'm not interested in listening to corny jokes or an ersatz American Idol blasting through the PA. I'd also like to earn free F travel to places slightly more exotic than AMA. Oh, well. I've never understood why some people love paying someone dressed in a leather suit to beat them, either.

richierich

Thu May 31, 2018 1:29 pm

Ziyulu wrote:
WkndWanderer wrote:
Ziyulu wrote:
How can Alaska fare so high when on a flight from AUS to SFO, all you get is a cup of soda? No snacks.

Are you talking about food that is free of charge in economy, or at all? Alaska has a pretty competitive buy onboard menu for flights that length. No U.S. airline offers complimentary economy meals on flights that length, only onselect transcon and Hawaii flights.

No free snacks at all. Just a cup of soda. On United, American, or Delta, you at least get a small bag of pretzels or peanuts. Even if it was an ex Virgin America flight, Alaska did not do a good job integrating. Including snacks should be an easy fix.

Really? Snacks are a big reason for scoring highly? To be honest, when I get an embarrassingly small bag of pretzels or peanuts on a legacy carrier these days, I have to wonder "why bother?" Getting a plastic cup of beverage only rounds out the production-line feel to the whole experience.
None shall pass!!!!

Abeam79

Thu May 31, 2018 3:17 pm

I’m pretty surprised about wn. I find them so underwhelming , dirty crammed aircraft, horrible schedules from where I live in the northeast and no power options and a very meager in flight WiFi. Just peanuts and canned water. B6 had it for 11 years in a row and I know they have a great product especially compared to wn. I just don’t get jd power. I think it’s political for the most part. I lost all creedence to this award

TEY1330

Thu May 31, 2018 4:43 pm

Abeam79 wrote:
I’m pretty surprised about wn. I find them so underwhelming , dirty crammed aircraft, horrible schedules from where I live in the northeast and no power options and a very meager in flight WiFi. Just peanuts and canned water. B6 had it for 11 years in a row and I know they have a great product especially compared to wn. I just don’t get jd power. I think it’s political for the most part. I lost all creedence to this award

I think the heavy weighting of the “fees” category is probably what got WN, with its no-charge baggage , ahead of B6.

EA CO AS
Topic Author

Thu May 31, 2018 4:45 pm

Ziyulu wrote:
FirstBizFlyer wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:

Patently false. Free snacks are offered on every AS flight.

There are no free snacks on VX, and the SFO - AUS route is on VX metal. Hopefully, the service between AS and VX metal will align soon. Although, I find it kind of ridiculous that people make such a huge deal over free snacks lol

Onboard service on AS operates Airbus equipment is already being aligned to match other mainline AS standards, but it’s not fully complete yet.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

Chemist

Thu May 31, 2018 4:58 pm

What WN has figured out (and I hope never forgets) is that treating people fairly, with decent service, and not nickel and diming them - is a better strategy than being on time, having assigned seats, or clean planes - but having customer-unfriendly policies, cranky staff, fees, and squeezed space unless paying more.

WkndWanderer

Thu May 31, 2018 9:54 pm

toobz wrote:

AS planes are rather bare bones. I definitely will take B6 over an AS aircraft anyday. The only reason to take AS is if you are traveling up and down the west coast.

Rather bare bones relative to what in particular about JetBlue? Alaska's planes also have in seat power, a similar buy onboard menu that has full meal items and not just snack boxes available on a wider selection of flights than JetBlue offers their "EatUp Cafe" meals on, a three cabin product on most mainline planes, and relatively similar seat pitch to B6's A321's. The only meaningful differences are Mint on the select routes it's offered, more coach pitch in A320's (but those don't have a premium cabin available), and the DirectTV, but Alaska still has tablet entertainment players on longer flights and free streaming movies and TV's on all flights, so that is far from bare bones either. Travelling up and down the west coast certainly isn't the only reason someone would want to fly AS, actually getting you to where you're going ontime is another important one and an area in which JetBlue has been utterly abysmal as of late.
Last edited by WkndWanderer on Thu May 31, 2018 10:03 pm, edited 5 times in total.

WkndWanderer

Thu May 31, 2018 9:56 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
That's not a bad intuitive explanation, but have you seen that in print from JD Power?

Yes-ish on all but the lounge system piece.

Chemist

Thu May 31, 2018 10:15 pm

WkndWanderer wrote:
toobz wrote:

AS planes are rather bare bones. I definitely will take B6 over an AS aircraft anyday. The only reason to take AS is if you are traveling up and down the west coast.

Rather bare bones relative to what in particular about JetBlue? Alaska's planes also have in seat power, a similar buy onboard menu that has full meal items and not just snack boxes available on a wider selection of flights than JetBlue offers their "EatUp Cafe" meals on, a three cabin product on most mainline planes, and relatively similar seat pitch to B6's A321's. The only meaningful differences are Mint on the select routes it's offered, more coach pitch in A320's (but those don't have a premium cabin available), and the DirectTV, but Alaska still has tablet entertainment players on longer flights and free streaming movies and TV's on all flights, so that is far from bare bones either. Travelling up and down the west coast certainly isn't the only reason someone would want to fly AS, actually getting you to where you're going ontime is another important one and an area in which JetBlue has been utterly abysmal as of late.

Since this was a customer vote, it is going to heavily weight the coach experience.
My only recent flight on JetBlue was on a worn A320 with small video screens that probably looked great 10 years ago. The leather was worn and not everything worked on the seat. It was ok but nothing spectacular. I don't know how representative that was of the rest of the fleet, I hope not.

ASFlyer

Thu May 31, 2018 11:35 pm

EA CO AS wrote:
Ziyulu wrote:
FirstBizFlyer wrote:

Onboard service on AS operates Airbus equipment is already being aligned to match other mainline AS standards, but it’s not fully complete yet.

It's being aligned, but there's a huge discrepancy as of today. It won't be fully aligned until much later this year. It's true that there are no snack on VX Airbus airplanes.

IPFreely

Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:19 am

ASFlyer wrote:
It's being aligned, but there's a huge discrepancy as of today.

Let's keep things in perspective. An internet drama queen not getting a couple of crackers is not "huge".

DarthLobster

Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:53 am

Lotsa pissing and moaning here. Man people are bitter...

ASFlyer

Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:49 am

IPFreely wrote:
ASFlyer wrote:

Let's keep things in perspective. An internet drama queen not getting a couple of crackers is not "huge".

True that - but I'm not talking about just the snacks. The onboard product is, at this moment, still very different. Ex-Virgin Airbus flights are still using the Red onboard ordering system as of today. As of today, First Class food is similar, but not all the same. The onboard food for sale is very different. Things are moving in the direction of aligning it all but it's far from there.

ASFlyer

Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:54 am

toobz wrote:
AS planes are rather bare bones. I definitely will take B6 over an AS aircraft anyday.

I get that you love to hate on Alaska but if you're comparing the majority of B6 aircraft to Alaska aircraft, the ONLY thing that Alaska doesn't have that B6 does are TV screens. That's it. You're not comparing apples to apples if you're comparing B6 Mint as that is a small subfleet operating on a relatively small number of flights as compared to the entire B6 system.

bgm

Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:12 am

ASFlyer wrote:
toobz wrote:
AS planes are rather bare bones. I definitely will take B6 over an AS aircraft anyday.

I get that you love to hate on Alaska but if you're comparing the majority of B6 aircraft to Alaska aircraft, the ONLY thing that Alaska doesn't have that B6 does are TV screens. That's it. You're not comparing apples to apples if you're comparing B6 Mint as that is a small subfleet operating on a relatively small number of flights as compared to the entire B6 system.

Doesn't B6 generally have more legroom overall than AS (excluding Premium)?
OK boomer.

ASFlyer

Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:34 am

bgm wrote:
ASFlyer wrote:
toobz wrote:

Doesn't B6 generally have more legroom overall than AS (excluding Premium)?

kind of a mixed bag. Alaska's planes have between 31-32 inches. JetBlue's under their current configuration have 34, which is nice. They're reducing that to 32 to squeeze in more seats, however. Legroom is definitely nice.

MSPNWA

Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:49 am

Polot wrote:
That is because people have gotten use to the service cuts done a decade or so ago, and things like the attitude of flight attendants and what not on US airline are nowhere bad as people on A.net want you to think (obviously there are some bad eggs).

Bingo. We have a winner. As an illustration, in the 2012 survey AS led with a score of 678. Very little has changed for AS since then - fees and other cuts had taken place - and they were always a reliable, "boring" airline, but now their lead rating is 775. Assuming a constant formula that creates the number, as JD power suggests it is, the most likely cause of a long, consistent increase in scores is that consumers have gotten used to less and don't perceive neutral or negative changes in that fashion as they should. That throws the meaningfulness of the entire survey into question.

scoping2008

Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:58 am

MSPNWA wrote:
Polot wrote:
That is because people have gotten use to the service cuts done a decade or so ago, and things like the attitude of flight attendants and what not on US airline are nowhere bad as people on A.net want you to think (obviously there are some bad eggs).

Bingo. We have a winner. As an illustration, in the 2012 survey AS led with a score of 678. Very little has changed for AS since then - fees and other cuts had taken place - and they were always a reliable, "boring" airline, but now their lead rating is 775. Assuming a constant formula that creates the number, as JD power suggests it is, the most likely cause of a long, consistent increase in scores is that consumers have gotten used to less and don't perceive neutral or negative changes in that fashion as they should. That throws the meaningfulness of the entire survey into question.

Your comment ignores the facts. The reality is that much has changed & improved at AS since 2012: Power for your devices at every seat, onboard wi-fi (that's being upgraded as we speak to an even faster system), entertainment system with scores of free movies and television shows you can watch on your device, the addition of Premium Class, additional beverage services by flight attendants, and the 20 minute baggage guarantee...just to name a few. And, with a much larger footprint today.

MSPNWA

Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:46 am

scoping2008 wrote:
Your comment ignores the facts. The reality is that much has changed & improved at AS since 2012: Power for your devices at every seat, onboard wi-fi (that's being upgraded as we speak to an even faster system), entertainment system with scores of free movies and television shows you can watch on your device, the addition of Premium Class, additional beverage services by flight attendants, and the 20 minute baggage guarantee...just to name a few. And, with a much larger footprint today.

Might want to check your facts. AS's WiFi program was nearly complete in summer 2011, and their baggage guarantee program goes even further back. And you have a logical error. The addition of a better product at a higher price (premium class), should only mean an increased score if the experience outweighs the expectations (obviously not a guarantee). And some of these are minor elements of the entire experience anyway. For every power outlet installed, there's been a slimline seat or reduced pitch added to fight back. The facts - based on what the airlines, in this case AS, give us for the price - say that there shouldn't be a significant increase in satisfaction scores--unless customer expectations have declined. And that's the problem with surveys based on a subjective baseline.

USAirKid

Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:14 am

MSPNWA wrote:
scoping2008 wrote:

Might want to check your facts. AS's WiFi program was nearly complete in summer 2011, and their baggage guarantee program goes even further back. And you have a logical error. The addition of a better product at a higher price (premium class), should only mean an increased score if the experience outweighs the expectations (obviously not a guarantee). And some of these are minor elements of the entire experience anyway. For every power outlet installed, there's been a slimline seat or reduced pitch added to fight back. The facts - based on what the airlines, in this case AS, give us for the price - say that there shouldn't be a significant increase in satisfaction scores--unless customer expectations have declined. And that's the problem with surveys based on a subjective baseline.

I'd argue that the slimline seats with power are one of the things that has really pushed up my impression of AS and differentiated it from other airlines. The seat is the one spot where I spend lots of time interacting with the airline, and its one of the spots where I find AS sets itself apart. In AS's coach I get:
  • A netted pocket that just for my stuff. No airline cards or magazines in that pocket.
  • The airline cards (safety, food, and... I forget the third one.) are nicely redesigned to fit in an upper pocket where it is visible but not too annoying
  • 110v and USB power IN FRONT OF YOU. One of the things I think most airlines screwed up was putting it behind your knees or even worse in between the seats. Its a spot that you can't get to very easily, and you have to be very communicative with your seat mate so they don't think you're trying to grope them.
  • A place to clip my tablet right in front of my face, so that I can watch TV or movies.

Yes to do this AS doesn't provide a in-seat IFE, but I'm not a huge flier and I've found at least a few times when the IFE doesn't work. IMHO thats worse than having no IFE in the first place. Broken IFE is a service failure. By offloading that to people's personal devices or a digiplayer they make the experience better, because the potential for a broken-IFE service failure is significantly reduced.

I know many will poopah the seat design, but I find it to be thoughtful and very user friendly, moreso than any other domestic coach seat.

usxguy

Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:25 am

I don't think Alaska has reduced seat pitch with the Recaro seats. I know the current 737-800/900 fleet are using the "upgraded" versions. I still have a soft spot for the "old" new seats, which are now in the 737-700s. *shrugs*

I find Alaska a LOT more comfortable than Southwest seating, although Southwest of the 90s was very very nice. I liked sitting backwards on a 737-200/300/500 in the "lounge'!

xx

WkndWanderer

Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:41 am

MSPNWA wrote:
scoping2008 wrote:

Of course it's all relative, but to say that "nothing has changed" at Alaska since the 2011-2012 results release or that there have only been neutral or negative changes by Alaska since then is demonstrably false and that is the point he was trying to counter, there have been plenty of upgrades since then. You're also right though that when there are downgrades by other airlines it can make another carrier's satisfaction higher if they simply choose the status quo without any overt enhancement, a good example of that with Alaska is the fact that they chose to maintain 31-32 inches in economy in their reconfigured planes even when other traditional carriers have below 30 in their reconfigs and new deliveries... the contrast with the 172 seat 737-8's on AA compared to 159 on AS's -800 fleet even after their refits is an obvious one.

WkndWanderer

Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:58 am

ASFlyer wrote:
IPFreely wrote:
ASFlyer wrote:

True that - but I'm not talking about just the snacks. The onboard product is, at this moment, still very different. Ex-Virgin Airbus flights are still using the Red onboard ordering system as of today. As of today, First Class food is similar, but not all the same. The onboard food for sale is very different. Things are moving in the direction of aligning it all but it's far from there.

The first class food offerings have been aligned for several weeks now, economy is coming later. Virgin unfortunately did not choose to option their fleets with ovens in the economy galley, so the future economy menu is going to look more like pre-merger Virgin's with items that don't need to heated. I'm personally going to miss the Tom Douglas hot options like the frittatas and coconut chicken.

usxguy

Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:00 pm

toobz wrote:
usxguy wrote:
toobz wrote:
Yeah that is random. When comparing B6 and AS, I feel AS is more LCC.

Lounges.

First Class on all planes (except Q400s)

"Express" network

codeshares with domestic and international carriers

Full distribution methods.

200+ aircraft

Oh wait, were you talking about Jetblue as a LCC???

What does JetBlue have that Alaska doesn't??? Let alone, I'd hate to see your adjective for Spirit, American, Hawaiian, and United...
xx

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos