aerokiwi

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - June 2018

Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:51 am

moa999 wrote:
aerokiwi wrote:

Compared to Melbourne where you have to queue for several buses sometimes and you're at the mercy of the Tullamarine traffic gods...Sydney definitely comes out on top on this one.

I've never waited long for a SkyBus in Melbourne.

You also have the cheaper option of 901 bus and train from Broadmeadows, or 478/479/482 and 59 tram from Essendon

Journey times generally 50-70min depending on connections. For some parts of Melbourne this can be quicker.

6 months ago Skybus was particularly appalling and still is no competition for Sydney's train. Gave up then and there. And yes I've tried the alternative using public transport - you have to allow at least 90 minutes just in case. Broadmeadows Station is an absolute hole and the 901 bus is about as reliable as you'd expect a 4 hour bus route would be, dropping you off about as far from the terminals as humanly possible.

I was trying to prove a point to colleagues that it's possible (you can work while on PT!). If anything I proved the opposite - We all agreed to just taxi it from now on. Meanwhile Sydney's train often beats the taxi option at peak hour no worries.

aerokiwi

Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:19 am

aerokiwi wrote:
getluv wrote:
aerokiwi wrote:
So NZ ends the relationship with VA, VA responds by substantially upping its presence on the Tasman. Oops. NZ has no Australian feed and no option but QF, putting QF in the better bargaining position - who knows what they extracted for this deal?

New Zealand consumer is worse off as domestic heads into a pseudo monopoly situation - surely this requires Commerce Commission approval?

Then we have the usual anti VA crowd claiming absolute disaster for the carrier, bandying about things like the Tasman represents half of VA's international traffice, 75 per cent of bookings came via NZ - yet another figure that only 250,000 pax which suggests something's not adding up - and, of course, impending financial oblivion for VA.
Even if it were true, which it's not, the apparent glee by some on here is, well, not all that surprising.

So everyone take a breath. It's just a codeshare. And NZ has effed up its Australian efforts on multiple occasions now. They certainly have form!

Well, you're a VA apologist so maybe you should have a breath and not let facts get in the way of reality. It's been mentioned countless times, there's no approval needed. As you said, this is a simple codesharing arrangement on domestic services in their respective domestic network.

For your information, VA international figures for March 2018 according to BITRE:

Inbound pax - ALL Services: 100 700 / New Zealand services - 56 817
Outbound pax - ALL Services: 101 682 / New Zealand services - 52 433

https://bitre.gov.au/publications/ongoi ... tions.aspx

Ok cool. Figures prove that New Zealand is 50 per cent of their international pax. But aren't RPKs a more accurate measure of international revenues? And while I can't find that figure broken down by region at a glance at VA's annual report, I can see that New Zealand generated $150m in revenues. Meanwhile the rest of the world generated about $600m. It's a bit clumsy as it's based on sales in those regions, while Australian revenue accounts for domestic Australian only (I think).

But it's a good indication that New Zealand does not account for 50 per cent of VA's international business. Actually, quite far from it. Passengers, sure. But what's more important ya reckon?

And I'm certainly not a VA apologist. Time and again I've acknowledged their muck ups. But your continued campaign against them is truly bizarre. Because just about every criticism you lob at Virgin is applicable to Qantas, the latter with an inconsistent onboard product (international J, domestic Y IFE, A330 vs 737 transcon), inconsistent branding (1984 rang!), stagnating and mixed fleet (no narrowbodies on order, A320s and B717 and F100s) and chop and change longhaul strategy (later Dubai!). None of which I really cate about until the dumping on Virgin for the same thing, often inaccurately. It's almost like you're willing VA's demise. Why? Would you benefit in some way? Have they personally harmed you?

A common refrain on here is that VA should stick to its knitting. So which is it? Should they be smashing it on the Tasman in some ego-driven money burn fest or pulling back to domestic only "where they belong"?

And yes according to an NZ Herald article the codeshare doesn't require competition authority approval. I'd only read the AusBT one which made no mention. But given the impact on New Zealand domestic that seems remarkable.

Actually as an addendum VA's Australian point of sale revues account for international from Australia too. That looks to be about a $300m gap with other international revenues which can reasonably be spread 1/3 to Tasman and 2/3 other international. Noting that NZ based revenues include a higher proportion of Pacific Island flights so $150m NZ does not square with $150 Oz. So assume NZ revenues are TT $100m vs Pacific Island at $50m (yes getting very assumey here).

So with a few assumptions that equates to about $200m international revenues out of a total of just over $1bn. So about 20 per cent or thereabouts. Not insubstantial but also not half.

DavidByrne

Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:05 am

aerokiwi wrote:
And yes according to an NZ Herald article the codeshare doesn't require competition authority approval. I'd only read the AusBT one which made no mention. But given the impact on New Zealand domestic that seems remarkable.

Sorry, I must be a bit dim. I'm having trouble figuring out what the impact on NZ domestic might be. Unless it's the QF group deliberately ceding some of their JQ domestic pax to NZ. Which is a kind of self-inflicted injury, and given there's no suggestion that JQ will offer fewer flights, I can't see how it affects the overall competition balance in NZ?
This is not my beautiful house . . . This is not my beautiful wife

qf789
Topic Author

Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:46 am

Qantas is expected to announce a partnership with LOT Airlines this week

https://www.ausbt.com.au/qantas-to-part ... ource=hero
Forum Moderator

An767

Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:56 am

qf789 wrote:

Great if it happens, I am going to Warsaw in December , this will make it easy
AN767
If its got wings put me on it. If it floats on water take it away

qf789
Topic Author

Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:00 am

Qantas plans to order Project Sunrise aircraft in 2019

https://www.ausbt.com.au/qantas-looks-t ... ource=hero
Forum Moderator

bunumuring

Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:09 am

Hey guys,
Yes I agree that the Skybus service in Melbourne is nowhere near as good as the train in Sydney. i too have waited for ages for an available seat on a Skybus into Melbourne. The train is simpler, arguably more comfortable (if not in peak hour lol) and definitely cheaper if you know the OPAL trick alluded to up-thread.... Although once the Daily Telegraph got wind of it last year I believe the department looked at ways to close the loop hole.....
And as for Fiji Airways become a Oneworld 'connector', I am guessing that there will be little impact for us Aussies? No change for QFFs earn and burn?
And finally, any news on Jetgo? I saw one of their ERJs parked next to an RAAF BBJ in Sydney late last night (Vivid is awesome! Go see if you can!). I truly hope that things work out for them.
Cheers,
Bunumuring
I just wanna live while I'm alive!

rushed

Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:58 am

qf789 wrote:

Interesting, that article has since been pulled from AusBT.
travel blogging enthusiast :)

PlutekPlutek

Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:43 am

Qantas16 wrote:
getluv wrote:
SYDSpotter wrote:

If QF's claims are correct, I shudder to think what landing fees CBR is charging QR :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think CBR and the ACT Government would be subsidising quite a percentage of QR's costs just so they can be on a map.

I don't know about that... QR needs CBR more than CBR needs QR.

Could they do NTL instead of CBR ?

zkojq

Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:56 am

SYDSpotter wrote:
Or a stronger QF Group can launch new routes to Asia/Europe which have no impact on NZ at all?

Of course such routes do. QF takes plenty of transfer pax from AKL/WLG/CHC to HKG/SIN/BKK/PVG etc via BNE/SYD. If QF didn't fly to those destinations or offer the ability to connect to them through their East Coast hubs, many of those passengers would otherwise be travelling with Air New Zealand instead.

Anyway, the broader point being that if Qantas is in expansion mode, opening up new destinations in North America and Europe, they're competing for some of the same passengers as Air New Zealand, which obviously isn't in NZ's interests. Especially if QF opens up a route to Chicago, or the rumoured 'Project Sunrise' route JFK.

SYDSpotter wrote:
QF's strategy doesn't revolve around solely competing with NZ and vice versa...

:roll: Nor did I suggest that it did.
Most recent aircraft flown: A318 F-GUGQ, A319 F-GRHR, A320ceo D-AIZH, A320neo D-AINE, A330-300 VH-QPD, A350-900 B-LRA, A380-800 D-AIMH, 717 VH-YQW, 737-600 LN-RPA, 737-700 OY-JTY, 737-800 LN-NGA, 767-300 ZK-NCI, 777-300 ZK-OKN, 787-9 VH-ZNA, CS100 HB-JBG

PlutekPlutek

Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:01 pm

rushed wrote:
qf789 wrote:

Interesting, that article has since been pulled from AusBT.

I think LOT's website already lets you book through to Sydney using LOT on WAW-SIN, and then QF2, QF82 or SQ231, SQ221.
The QF option seems cheaper than going with SQ as well.
Haven't flown on their 787, but I hear they are getting a bit shabby in Y.

getluv

Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:36 pm

aerokiwi wrote:
getluv wrote:
aerokiwi wrote:
So NZ ends the relationship with VA, VA responds by substantially upping its presence on the Tasman. Oops. NZ has no Australian feed and no option but QF, putting QF in the better bargaining position - who knows what they extracted for this deal?

New Zealand consumer is worse off as domestic heads into a pseudo monopoly situation - surely this requires Commerce Commission approval?

Then we have the usual anti VA crowd claiming absolute disaster for the carrier, bandying about things like the Tasman represents half of VA's international traffice, 75 per cent of bookings came via NZ - yet another figure that only 250,000 pax which suggests something's not adding up - and, of course, impending financial oblivion for VA.
Even if it were true, which it's not, the apparent glee by some on here is, well, not all that surprising.

So everyone take a breath. It's just a codeshare. And NZ has effed up its Australian efforts on multiple occasions now. They certainly have form!

Well, you're a VA apologist so maybe you should have a breath and not let facts get in the way of reality. It's been mentioned countless times, there's no approval needed. As you said, this is a simple codesharing arrangement on domestic services in their respective domestic network.

For your information, VA international figures for March 2018 according to BITRE:

Inbound pax - ALL Services: 100 700 / New Zealand services - 56 817
Outbound pax - ALL Services: 101 682 / New Zealand services - 52 433

https://bitre.gov.au/publications/ongoi ... tions.aspx

Ok cool. Figures prove that New Zealand is 50 per cent of their international pax. But aren't RPKs a more accurate measure of international revenues? And while I can't find that figure broken down by region at a glance at VA's annual report, I can see that New Zealand generated $150m in revenues. Meanwhile the rest of the world generated about $600m. It's a bit clumsy as it's based on sales in those regions, while Australian revenue accounts for domestic Australian only (I think).

But it's a good indication that New Zealand does not account for 50 per cent of VA's international business. Actually, quite far from it. Passengers, sure. But what's more important ya reckon?

And I'm certainly not a VA apologist. Time and again I've acknowledged their muck ups. But your continued campaign against them is truly bizarre. Because just about every criticism you lob at Virgin is applicable to Qantas, the latter with an inconsistent onboard product (international J, domestic Y IFE, A330 vs 737 transcon), inconsistent branding (1984 rang!), stagnating and mixed fleet (no narrowbodies on order, A320s and B717 and F100s) and chop and change longhaul strategy (later Dubai!). None of which I really cate about until the dumping on Virgin for the same thing, often inaccurately. It's almost like you're willing VA's demise. Why? Would you benefit in some way? Have they personally harmed you?

A common refrain on here is that VA should stick to its knitting. So which is it? Should they be smashing it on the Tasman in some ego-driven money burn fest or pulling back to domestic only "where they belong"?

Here you go again. VA's downfall for the past few years has been the man at the top. It's interesting that since the capacity war with QF ended and low oil prices, VA can barely make a profit. What difference would RPKs make in VA small international network anyway? They've got 14 flights a week to LAX and a daily flight to HKG, and only LAX would be considered long haul. As it stands New Zealand is an important part of VA's network, and NZ was an important source of traffic not only for their own TT services but their own domestic services. Now not only has the feed been cut, but its been given to QF. The fact NZ did a deal with QF, of all people, says it all.

Bringing up 1984, what does that have to do with any today? A330 vs 737s transcon? Really, have you seen VA's schedule between the East Coast and Perth lately, especially on BNE-PER flights and post SYD-HKG launching.

I can bring up Skywest, ATRs, TT's international launch, getting their own investors offside, announcing PER-AUH then pulling it, there's countless things I could say all issues that are only a few years old. If you're going to tell people to get a reality check, do one yourself.
Last edited by getluv on Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You meant lose, not loose.

a36001

Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:51 pm

Ok what's the Opal trick? PM please lol

As a daily commuter of Sydney trains and having travelled extensively and living and working in Tokyo, Sydney trains is a total disaster! Everything about the train network in this city is just plain awful.

getluv

Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:03 pm

a36001 wrote:
Gemuser wrote:
qf789 wrote:
The PTA has confirmed that the new railway to PER will be at normal ticket prices and no additional fees will be charged for traveling in the airport perimeter like other airports do e.g. SYD

https://twitter.com/westaustralian/stat ... 9132605440

Sorry, you are wrong about Sydney, there is no "airport charge" of any description. What there is is a "facilities charge" to use ALL the stations on the Southern line loop which serves the airport which are Greens Square & Mascot as well as the two airport stations. This comes about because these four stations were built by a private property trust and the charge is levied to recover their outlays. Of course the whole thing went pear shaped and the NSW government brought out the trust BUT kept the charge, much to the annoyance of the people who moved into the large apartment developments around Greens Square & Mascot, as well as airport uses.So the charge is not just for the airport but applies to all stations on that line.

Gemuser

Green Square and Mascot stations are now part of the normal rail network. So there is no station access fee on these stations. I think it was changed when the Liberal government took over the previous Labor government in 2006. There is the station access fee on Domestic and International stations. And it's outrageously expensive! Which most if not all Sydneysiders refuse to pay by either walking to Domestic from Mascot or International from Wolli Creek! This whole fee thing is one of many reasons it's now too expensive living in Sydney. And why thousands have made the decision to move elsewhere! Costing nearly $100 for a family of five just to get to the airport is ridiculous!

While I'm no fan of the paying extra for anything, it is not outrageously expensive.

I still think a $18 for a trip that can get you from the Airport to the CBD in 8 minutes is good value when an Uber or Taxi would easily cost you over $40 and take over 25 minutes on a good day. If you're happy walking 35 minutes and crossing a busy intersection to save yourself $13, go for it.

As someone who also lives in Sydney, Sydney is an expensive place but its all relative in the end and I don't think the station fee is the biggest issue facing Sydney commuters. Sydney's transport network, like our roads, is just suffering from decades of under investment and poor planning. Even then, the new projects just make you angry, witness the new light rail line to Randwick/Kensington.
You meant lose, not loose.

777ER
Head Moderator

Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:56 pm

Fiji Airways to become a OneWorld connect partner

https://www.oneworld.com/news-informati ... _count%3D7
Head Forum Moderator
moderators@airliners.net
Flown: 1900D,S340,Q300,AT72-5/6,DC3,CR2/7,E145,E70/75/90,A319/20/21,A332/3,A380,F100,B717,B733/4/8/9,B742/4,B752/3,B763,B772/W,B789
With: NZ,SJ,QF,JQ,EK,VA,AA,UA,DL,FL,AC,FJ

Obzerva

Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:20 pm

777ER wrote:
Fiji Airways to become a OneWorld connect partner

https://www.oneworld.com/news-informati ... _count%3D7

Wouldn’t be surprised if PR also joins this.

qf002

Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:32 pm

a36001 wrote:
Ok what's the Opal trick? PM please lol

Jump over the barriers and run, works best with hand luggage only :D

But seriously, it’s no big secret that the Opal system lets you go into negative balance. You only need $3.50 (or something like that) to tap on at your origin then you can put the card $15-20 into the red before chucking it in the bin after tapping off at the airport stations. New cards are free so you can just pick up a new one when you get back from your trip, though there is no way of avoiding the fee departing the airport.

qf789
Topic Author

Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:26 am

Alan Joyce says the way to address pilot shortage is to encourage my female students to become pilots

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/busine ... cb47f968e6
Forum Moderator

An767

Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:29 am

qf789 wrote:
Alan Joyce says the way to address pilot shortage is to encourage my female students to become pilots

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/busine ... cb47f968e6

So over this PC Bull re women in the workforce. If a woman wants to be a pilot or whatever, they would be doing it . If they need encouraging , then do they really want to do it in the first place?
AN767

DavidByrne

Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:35 am

An767 wrote:
So over this PC Bull re women in the workforce. If a woman wants to be a pilot or whatever, they would be doing it . If they need encouraging , then do they really want to do it in the first place?
AN767

Yes, it's clearly womens' own fault that there is ongoing discrimination in the male-dominated workforce and a serious pay imbalance . . . :roll:
This is not my beautiful house . . . This is not my beautiful wife

MooLor

Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:57 am

DavidByrne wrote:
An767 wrote:
AN767

Yes, it's clearly womens' own fault that there is ongoing discrimination in the male-dominated workforce and a serious pay imbalance . . . :roll:

That is true of many industries, but I doubt aviation is one of them.

What concerns me is men putting themselves forward to be discriminated against, by being on the wrong side of the "affirmative action" equation.

qf789
Topic Author

Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:58 am

VA's Velocity Gold and Platinum FF's will gain access to airport lounges when travelling on eligible Hainan and Hong Kong airlines flights eff 2 Jul 18

https://www.ausbt.com.au/velocity-expan ... g-airlines
Forum Moderator

qf789
Topic Author

Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:02 am

Inside look on how WIFI was installed on the first QF A332

https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-a ... ews.com.au
Forum Moderator

qf789
Topic Author

Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:24 am

Fog causes problems at ADL this morning

Affected flights include

QF671 MEL-ADL returned to MEL
SQ279 SIN-ADL, diverted to MEL
VA211 MEL-ADL cancelled
VA1447 ADL-OOL cancelled due to no incoming aircraft
QF677 MEL-ADL cancelled
TT446 ADL-MEL cancelled
VA1384 BNE-ADL diverted to MEL
CZ663 CAN-ADL diverted to MEL
QF1599 BNE-ADL diverted to MEL
VA402 SYD-ADL diverted to MEL
QF735 SYD-ADL diverted to MEL
VA412 SYD-ADL diverted to MEL
QF713 CBR-ADL cancelled
VA213 MEL-ADL returned to MEL
QF675 MEL-ADL returned to MEL
QF739 SYD-ADL diverted to MEL
QF676 ADL-MEL cancelled
QF738 ADL-SYD cancelled
JQ632 AVV-ADL returned to AVV

https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-u ... 039a30600f
Forum Moderator

qf789
Topic Author

Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:50 am

Alan Joyce says QF is now looking at new ULR non-stops such as returning to CDG and FRA and ULR markets to the US after the success of PER-LHR

Performance of PER-LHR is exceeding expectations. load factors better than expected particularly in premium cabins
QF says they have made money from day 1, AJ says he has never seen that happen a new route

http://atwonline.com/airports-routes/qa ... -long-haul
Forum Moderator

An767

Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:04 am

MooLor wrote:
DavidByrne wrote:
An767 wrote:
AN767

What concerns me is men putting themselves forward to be discriminated against, by being on the wrong side of the "affirmative action" equation.

DavidByrne
I was not saying anything about discrimination or the serious wage imbalance, I work in a mining industry related business, and I know all to well of the imbalance in pay. But what I was saying is if women want to be a pilot, parliamentarian doctor or anything. Why do more of them not try? or is it a case that they are not looked at in the first place?

MooLor
I am not one to discriminate in any way by gender, race etc. But I know in some cases it does happen. When I was in the NT on a mine site, the charter company that flew us too and from Darwin had 16 pilots , only 2 where female, was that because they did not like women pilots , of simply a case that women in general do not want to do it, if you don't see them at the start up phase of flying , you will not see them in the 380's etc in a few years time .

AN767

qf789
Topic Author

Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:18 am

Philippine Airlines will start serving SYD with A321neo from 10 July 18 initially 2 weekly increasing to 5 weekly from 25 July 18, A321neo replaces A333

https://twitter.com/Airlineroute/status ... 1942210560
Forum Moderator

Qantas16

Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:35 am

MooLor wrote:
DavidByrne wrote:
An767 wrote:
AN767

So how do you explain the tiny percentage of pilots that are women? Do you believe that is all choice and that very few women genuinely want to be pilots?

qf789
Topic Author

Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:36 am

Qantas currently in talks with seat manufacturers on new products for both premium economy and economy class seats for Project Sunrise

https://twitter.com/AusBT/status/1003508630983806977
Forum Moderator

Qantas16

Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:37 am

qf789 wrote:
Philippine Airlines will start serving SYD with A321neo from 10 July 18 initially 2 weekly increasing to 5 weekly from 25 July 18, A321neo replaces A333

They must be very confident with it's introduction, though I guess its probably basically identical to the current A321s so won't require too much extra. Will be a bit of a capacity downgrade to go from a daily A330 to 5x weekly A321 + 2x weekly A330 for SYD... I presume within 3-6 months it'll be 2x daily A321 to SYD.

qf789
Topic Author

Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:38 am

Qantas also talking that Project Sunrise aircraft will seat at least 300 passengers across 4 classes with flexible zones (eg social spaces)

https://twitter.com/AusBT/status/1003509166797832192
Forum Moderator

qf789
Topic Author

Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:50 am

Alan Joyce says WIFI coming to QF International in 2020-2021 using high speed KA-Band satellites

https://twitter.com/AusBT/status/1003512213015891969
Forum Moderator

qf789
Topic Author

Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:54 am

First A380 to go under refurbishment will be in June 2019 and be back in service in July 2019, all 12 A380's are expected to be completed by the end of 2020

https://twitter.com/AusBT/status/1003513064270979078
Forum Moderator

An767

Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:05 am

Qantas16 wrote:
MooLor wrote:
DavidByrne wrote:

So how do you explain the tiny percentage of pilots that are women? Do you believe that is all choice and that very few women genuinely want to be pilots?

No idea , do you? the simple fact is there are not many out there. A reason must be able to be found, but ask any female you know , do they want to be a pilot? I bet more say no than yes.

AN767

qf789
Topic Author

Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:08 am

Alan Joyce has pointed out to journalists at IATA when asked about whether QF is hurting EK by flying nonstop to the UK, that EK fly to AKL bypassing Australia

https://twitter.com/winglets747/status/ ... 5643502592

AJ also refers to LHR-PER-MEL-LAX as the Boomerang route, JQ CEO refers to it as a smiley face

https://twitter.com/winglets747/status/ ... 7302657024
Forum Moderator

brucetiki

Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:21 am

bunumuring wrote:
And just like a tollway, if you don't want to pay, use another form of transport.
Cheers,
Bunumuring.

Or do what some people cheekily do and get off at Mascot and walk.

Whether you'd want to do that with 20kg of luggage though to save yourself $15 though...

MooLor

Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:21 am

Qantas16 wrote:
MooLor wrote:
DavidByrne wrote:

In our country, females have equal opportunity to participate in cadetship programmes etc. But you must have the correct education to qualify. If you want to be a pilot cadet you ensure you get the right education - that's a choice.

However, females are under represented in the sciences. So there would be less opportunity to "fall into" a pilot career for the majority, or choose to go that way after high school. That's not the aviation industry's fault. But as I read it, it is the area AJ is suggesting be addressed - you ensure females who wish to become pilots follow the correct stream/s through high school, so that the best people can become pilots, regardless of their gender. I doubt he is suggesting there are fewer female airline pilots due to discrimination or a "blokey" culture.

Now, those taking the bush-pilot route are less likely to be female. A blokey culture or an aversion to the physical environment? A bit of both I suspect. Can that be fixed? Good luck with that, but it does seem to have been addressed in the mining industry - there are female engineers etc. now, whereas they were practically non-existent back when I worked in that sector. How has that come about? When I was at Uni the engineering student were animals - right up there with the "rugger buggers". That's the culture that needed to change in order to produce more female engineering graduates, and apparently it has.

Another source of pilots are third-world countries - and I'm thinking of India. That is an example of a country where a female does not have equal opportunity to gain an education. Nothing AJ can do about that.

So, what can AJ do to enable more females to become QF pilots? He doesn't want sub-par cadets via affirmative action / quotas. So he educates. And good on him.

brucetiki

Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:33 am

qf789 wrote:
Fog causes problems at ADL this morning

Affected flights include

QF671 MEL-ADL returned to MEL
SQ279 SIN-ADL, diverted to MEL
VA211 MEL-ADL cancelled
VA1447 ADL-OOL cancelled due to no incoming aircraft
QF677 MEL-ADL cancelled
TT446 ADL-MEL cancelled
VA1384 BNE-ADL diverted to MEL
CZ663 CAN-ADL diverted to MEL
QF1599 BNE-ADL diverted to MEL
VA402 SYD-ADL diverted to MEL
QF735 SYD-ADL diverted to MEL
VA412 SYD-ADL diverted to MEL
QF713 CBR-ADL cancelled
VA213 MEL-ADL returned to MEL
QF675 MEL-ADL returned to MEL
QF739 SYD-ADL diverted to MEL
QF676 ADL-MEL cancelled
QF738 ADL-SYD cancelled
JQ632 AVV-ADL returned to AVV

https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-u ... 039a30600f

Been a long time since I saw fog like that this morning in Adelaide. Driving in it was fun (especially the peanuts who opted not to turn their lights on in the fog), and driving along the Superway felt like I was driving through clouds with zero visibility of the industries underneath the Motorway (and about 20 metres visibility ahead). Can understand why it was diversion city this morning.

Of course you also have a couple of idiots who are delayed crying 'what about me' because their flight was delayed.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-06-04/h ... rt/9831754

oskarclare

Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:35 am

Qantas16 wrote:
qf789 wrote:

They must be very confident with it's introduction, though I guess its probably basically identical to the current A321s so won't require too much extra. Will be a bit of a capacity downgrade to go from a daily A330 to 5x weekly A321 + 2x weekly A330 for SYD... I presume within 3-6 months it'll be 2x daily A321 to SYD.

So with Brisbane starting 4x weekly on 2 JUL 18 and Sydney on 10 JUL 18, Melbourne can probably be expected in August to September. I think when Cebu Pacific starts to get A321neo's, Brisbane and Perth will probably be added from Manilla.

qf789
Topic Author

Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:43 am

oskarclare wrote:
Qantas16 wrote:
qf789 wrote:

So with Brisbane starting 4x weekly on 2 JUL 18 and Sydney on 10 JUL 18, Melbourne can probably be expected in August to September. I think when Cebu Pacific starts to get A321neo's, Brisbane and Perth will probably be added from Manilla.

We may see some frequencies with the A321neo to MEL, PR is also sending the aircraft to both DEL & BOM which start in Sep 18, they only have 5 arriving this year so I wouldn't expect too much more to Australia this year
Forum Moderator

qf789
Topic Author

Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:55 am

The Australian Airport Association has weighed into the QF/NZ codeshare deal saying it will lessen competition and potentially constraining the Trans-Tasman market calling for regulators to intervene

The Australian Airports Association has called on regulators in Australia and in New Zealand to make sure the agreement won’t impact travellers or Virgin Australia, saying the deal would likely lessen competition on both sides of the Tasman.
“There are a limited number of airlines operating in both countries, and between them, so it is important there remains a healthy level of competition in the market,” said association chief executive Caroline Wilkie.
“This arrangement seems likely to make it harder for Virgin Australia to compete in the Australian market.”
It comes after Qantas (QAN) and Air New Zealand said they’d will remain competitive on trans-Tasman routes as they announced a deal to that will add 115 new domestic routes in Australia and New Zealand on Friday.

VA has also issued a statement saying it was bad news for customers

A spokesperson for Virgin Australia, which has an interlining agreement with Air New Zealand up for renegotiation in October, said last week that the deal was “bad news for customers” and that it would stifle competition.
“We are particularly concerned this arrangement will further strengthen Qantas’ dominant position in the Australian market to the detriment of both Virgin Australia and the Australian travelling public,” Ms Wilkie said today.
“The ability to distribute each other’s passengers on the other side of the Tasman will improve the market position of Qantas and Air New Zealand and make it harder for Virgin to compete on trans-Tasman routes.
“It is important to ensure both the Australian and New Zealand economies enjoy the tourism benefits of easy and affordable trans-Tasman travel and this can only be ensured if there are more carriers, not less, flying these routes.”

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/busine ... um=Twitter
Forum Moderator

xiaotung

Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:01 am

qf789 wrote:

A spokesperson for Virgin Australia, which has an interlining agreement with Air New Zealand up for renegotiation in October, said last week that the deal was “bad news for customers” and that it would stifle competition.
“We are particularly concerned this arrangement will further strengthen Qantas’ dominant position in the Australian market to the detriment of both Virgin Australia and the Australian travelling public,” Ms Wilkie said today.
“The ability to distribute each other’s passengers on the other side of the Tasman will improve the market position of Qantas and Air New Zealand and make it harder for Virgin to compete on trans-Tasman routes.
“It is important to ensure both the Australian and New Zealand economies enjoy the tourism benefits of easy and affordable trans-Tasman travel and this can only be ensured if there are more carriers, not less, flying these routes.”

Maybe the spokesperson should ask the public to blame John Borghetti. It didn't have to come to this if VA could work things out with NZ.

oskarclare

Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:08 am

Does anyone know how the Donghai Airlines SZX-DRW service has gone regarding passenger numbers?

qf789
Topic Author

Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:10 am

Qantas has scrapped plans for PER-JNB, the aircraft will now deployed elsewhere

https://www.ausbt.com.au/qantas-scraps- ... ource=hero
Forum Moderator

qf789
Topic Author

Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:15 am

xiaotung wrote:
qf789 wrote:

Maybe the spokesperson should ask the public to blame John Borghetti. It didn't have to come to this if VA could work things out with NZ.

All the public cares about is the cost and that they get from A to B, most of the public would not be able to name the CEO. The fact remains that this deal could be bad for consumers in the long run
Forum Moderator

Qantas16

Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:24 am

qf789 wrote:

What a shame for PER and QF! Whilst I'm sure there is likely more to it, I don't understand why PER wouldn't let QF run the flight out of T3 like they want too...

qf789
Topic Author

Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:39 am

Qantas16 wrote:
qf789 wrote:

What a shame for PER and QF! Whilst I'm sure there is likely more to it, I don't understand why PER wouldn't let QF run the flight out of T3 like they want too...

While its disappointing its not a surprise either. It does however go against attracting other airlines in PER and hopefully the WA government have something to say to PER airport over this
Forum Moderator

qf789
Topic Author

Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:42 am

On top of the A330 engine issue over the weekend on SYD-BKK another A330 had a technical issue in HKG on Friday night delaying the flight to BNE by around 3 hours.

QF also had problems finding a first officer for yesterday's SYD-SCL flight after the original first officer called in sick

https://www.smh.com.au/business/compani ... y28zsr6qiq
Forum Moderator

waoz1

Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:07 am

qf789 wrote:
Qantas16 wrote:
qf789 wrote:

While its disappointing its not a surprise either. It does however go against attracting other airlines in PER and hopefully the WA government have something to say to PER airport over this

Good old perth airport strikes again

qf789
Topic Author

Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:25 am

More on the WIFI planned for QF International

https://www.airlineratings.com/news/thi ... se-cabins/
Forum Moderator

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos