Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

rtii
Topic Author

Aeromexico to take legal action against EK

Thu May 31, 2018 2:05 pm

Aeromexico is taking legal action against EK for taking over flights of Barcelona-Mexico

https://expansion.mx/empresas/2018/05/3 ... ona-mexico
(Only spanish)

2travel2know2

Re: Aeromexico to take legal action against EK

Thu May 31, 2018 2:53 pm

In other words, if EK wants to fly to MEX it'll have to be routed via an airport not currently served by Aeromexico.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

AAEK192

Thu May 31, 2018 3:04 pm

Or maybe, if EK wants to fly to MEX, Aeromexico will have to grow up a little and face competition

airtran737

Thu May 31, 2018 3:07 pm

EK shouldn’t be able to enplane passengers from anywhere by the UAE.
Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever

FriscoHeavy

Thu May 31, 2018 3:20 pm

airtran737 wrote:

That's a ridiculous statement. Of course they should be able to. Competition is a beautiful thing. Compete or get out. Let the free market determine who should fly a given route.
Whatever

JustSomeDood

Thu May 31, 2018 3:33 pm

Aeromexico had the rights to the route for a billion years with no competition and never started it, yet want to throw a shit fit when both México and Spain authorities approve of the foreign carrier? These grapes are mighty sour.
Last edited by JustSomeDood on Thu May 31, 2018 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jmmadrid

Thu May 31, 2018 3:38 pm

Just when we thought that Delta had a childish and unrealistic attitude towards the ME3, comes AEROMEXICO and trumps it.
Barcelona-Mexico was unserved and nobody had shown any interest in it for many years. Emirates approached the Spanish government and requested it. The Spanish government, that is not there to defend any specific airline, said Why Not? and approved it, and they did it in a way that made it impossible for the Mexican government to refuse. (No details have been given, but I believe Spain granted Emirates the status of spanish airline).
Aeromexico then decided to launch Mexico-Barcelona and lobbied for the government not to grant the authority. But when they did, they cancelled their flight, leaving Emirates unchallenged, and started to lobby against them.
Now they say that this move jeopardises mexican jobs, blah blah blah.
My question is: What was the status of those jobs before Emirates applied for the route?
Stop the victim attitude and get to work. There are many other routes where they can make money.
Don’t confuse my personality with my attitude. My personality is who I am. My attitude depends on who you are.

aemoreira1981

Thu May 31, 2018 5:42 pm

jmmadrid wrote:
Just when we thought that Delta had a childish and unrealistic attitude towards the ME3, comes AEROMEXICO and trumps it.
Barcelona-Mexico was unserved and nobody had shown any interest in it for many years. Emirates approached the Spanish government and requested it. The Spanish government, that is not there to defend any specific airline, said Why Not? and approved it, and they did it in a way that made it impossible for the Mexican government to refuse. (No details have been given, but I believe Spain granted Emirates the status of spanish airline).
Aeromexico then decided to launch Mexico-Barcelona and lobbied for the government not to grant the authority. But when they did, they cancelled their flight, leaving Emirates unchallenged, and started to lobby against them.
My question is: What was the status of those jobs before Emirates applied for the route?
Stop the victim attitude and get to work. There are many other routes where they can make money.

Aeromexico is basically Delta. Talk about double talk. AM should have started BCN much sooner.

LAXdude1023

Thu May 31, 2018 6:51 pm

Must be a SkyTeam thing.... ;)
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD BRING BACK THE PAYWALL!!!!

fjmm92

Thu May 31, 2018 7:01 pm

Aeromexico had the opportunity to fly to BCN with no competition for years and never resumed the route... now is time for Emirates...

MIflyer12

Thu May 31, 2018 7:31 pm

What's the relevant law? It may not be a case of whining - but winning in court.

OA940

Thu May 31, 2018 7:31 pm

So in the past two years we have had Boeing, the US3 and now Aeromexico that seem to not be able to handle competition without whining to mommy and daddy. Lovely.
A350/CSeries = bae

dodgers702

Thu May 31, 2018 9:31 pm

Why are we not surprised right? Expected for AM to see if they can make this harder for EK. What is happening is AM being selfish. I think the government and even President Nieto knows this would help the Mexican tourism and economy. Making it easy for rich Emirati citizens, Indians and other Middle Easterners spend their money at a country that just doesn't have to depend on the U.S tourists. Asian and European tourist numbers continue to rise, why not tap into other untouched markets like the Middle East/India/Southeast Asia? Well EK is an airline that can make that happen, and if along the way they want to bring a few Spaniards with them why not? EK has been wanting to fly to MEX for years, they found a great opportunity using BCN as a mini hub so they went for it and now AM is crying. Interesting that EK reps have stayed silent through this whole ordeal.

Galwayman

Thu May 31, 2018 9:58 pm

airtran737 wrote:
s

Utter rubbish . Much more importantly European passengers travelling to Mexico should boycott the anti competitive US3

lightsaber

Thu May 31, 2018 10:05 pm

FriscoHeavy wrote:
airtran737 wrote:

That's a ridiculous statement. Of course they should be able to. Competition is a beautiful thing. Compete or get out. Let the free market determine who should fly a given route.

I have to agree. There are freedoms of travel grantedin trade bilaterals that cover more than aviation.

The limit is within a nation. Spain made a decision..

DL made noise and won a minor compromise on seeing audited financial reports. I personally think every airline should have to publish quarterly audited financial results... But I digress.

MEX could use the service.

Lightsaber
5 months without TV. The best decision of my life.

irelayer

Thu May 31, 2018 10:17 pm

Galwayman wrote:
airtran737 wrote:
s

Utter rubbish . Much more importantly European passengers travelling to Mexico should boycott the anti competitive US3

We are talking about AM. What does this have to do with the US3?

dcajet

Thu May 31, 2018 10:38 pm

irelayer wrote:
Galwayman wrote:
airtran737 wrote:
s

Delta owns 49% of AM. This nonsense of legal action against EK is Mother Delta speaking. AM abandoned flying to BCN almost a decade or more ago and in the interim could have cared less about it. Enter EK and now AM is going bonkers about flying to BCN. Really? Now?
Keep calm and wash your hands.

Galwayman

Thu May 31, 2018 11:47 pm

irelayer wrote:
Galwayman wrote:
airtran737 wrote:
s

Delta = AM
The US3 are pure poison and anticompetitive , a lot of EU traffic to Mexico funnels via the nasty US3 . Time to boycott American goods , products and services ....

HI442ct

Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:22 am

Galwayman wrote:
irelayer wrote:
Galwayman wrote:
s

Delta = AM
The US3 are pure poison and anticompetitive , a lot of EU traffic to Mexico funnels via the nasty US3 . Time to boycott American goods , products and services ....

To paraphrase you "utter rubbish"
You believe EK can fly wherever they want to, that's fine, but then you trash US3 as being poisonous, and then that it's time to boycott all US products, nobody is forcing you to come to the US enjoy your double standard, with some potatoes
Worked with
B707/727/737/747/757/767
DC8/DC10/MD11/MD80/
A300/L1011/A320/ATR42

ilovelamp

Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:47 am

Galwayman wrote:
irelayer wrote:
Galwayman wrote:
s

Delta = AM

Go educate yourself about the employment practices of the ME3 and then come back to preach about boycotts.

mham001

Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:08 am

OA940 wrote:
So in the past two years we have had Boeing, the US3 and now Aeromexico that seem to not be able to handle competition without whining to mommy and daddy. Lovely.

I think you forgot a few, although it is fashionable to only remember American (so-called) indiscretions.

Didn't we have some "whining" by a couple of large European airlines recently? Seems I recall some rumblings from Canada in the last year or two as well. India, six months ago declined new flights. Funny how there seems to be a similar pattern around the world. Why is that?

LAXLHR

Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:25 am

airtran737 wrote:

SMH!! Of course from Delta Hillbilly Trump Airlines HQ.
BA IB ET JM EA GK PA VS AA SN HP CO WN NW DL UA AC US LH LX OS JL QF QR WY MH CX U2 EK 9W UK TP VY VN LO OK OZ UL SQ LA KL

707 727 L10 732-NG 741 742 743 744 752 753 762 763 772 773 787 DC8 DC9 DC10 M80 M11 100 AB3 310 318 319 320 321 330s 340s 350 380

dodgers702

Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:49 pm

dcajet wrote:
irelayer wrote:
Galwayman wrote:
s

Delta owns 49% of AM. This nonsense of legal action against EK is Mother Delta speaking. AM abandoned flying to BCN almost a decade or more ago and in the interim could have cared less about it. Enter EK and now AM is going bonkers about flying to BCN. Really? Now?

I agree. When we saw AM wanting to restart MEX-BCN you would think it was to compete againts EK but funny how they suspend the route a week after accepting online booking. Its obvious that was not the reason. Once they found out EK was granted rights from Mexico they suspended service and now are tyring to take them to court. It really makes them look foolish and it will be even more ridiculous if EK wins the battle. Whats disappointing is rumor EK wanted to start the flight Oct/Nov of this year. Now wondering if they will have to either postpone or cancel their start up date until this gets resolved.

NZ321

Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:07 pm

jmmadrid wrote:

My sentiments exactly.
Plane mad!

Etheereal

Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:53 pm

jmmadrid wrote:

Non-existant, ofc. And that's all folks, its just a DL is launching a protest via their "proxy" airline.

adriaticus

Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:27 pm

EK serving BCN-MEX-BCN will either prompt AM to look seriously into the BCN market again (thin if compred with MEX-MAD-MEX), or do a MAD-BCN-MAD extension of the MEX-MAD / MAD-MEX flight (very doable albeit perhaps less profitable at the beginning) and see how a market reacts, explore a codeshare agreement with EK, or drop it altogether.

What a nuisance having to bow to the whimsical designs of the current Board where the fat guy at the edge of the table is named by DL with a 49% stake.

_Ad.
A300/18/19/20/21/30/32/88 An24 ATR42/72 B721/2 B732/3/G/8/MAX B741/2/4 B752 B762/3/4 B772/3 B788/9 Concorde DC8/9/10 E45/70/75/90/95 IL62/86 MD10-30/11 SA340/2000 TU134/154

scbriml

Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:55 pm

airtran737 wrote:

So US3 also shouldn't be able to enplane passengers in London, Paris, Rome, Frankfurt, etc, etc, etc. Do you see how completely stupid that sounds?

irelayer wrote:

Guess who, based in Atlanta, is a major shareholder in AM? :scratchchin: Is it becoming clear now? AM is just being a mouthpiece for DL. :sarcastic:
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Dominion301

Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:08 pm

airtran737 wrote:

If the bilateral allows for a 5th freedom, why should EK be prevented from exploiting this?

Bobloblaw

Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:13 pm

OA940 wrote:

You realize the competition is not free market competition but heavily subsidized by public treasury?

dodgers702

Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:13 pm

adriaticus wrote:
EK serving BCN-MEX-BCN will either prompt AM to look seriously into the BCN market again (thin if compred with MEX-MAD-MEX), or do a MAD-BCN-MAD extension of the MEX-MAD / MAD-MEX flight (very doable albeit perhaps less profitable at the beginning) and see how a market reacts, explore a codeshare agreement with EK, or drop it altogether.

What a nuisance having to bow to the whimsical designs of the current Board where the fat guy at the edge of the table is named by DL with a 49% stake.

_Ad.

Why couldnt AM go that route (sign a codeshare agreement with EK). I think both would benefit but with Delta having a say we will never see that happen.

MileHFL400

Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:05 pm

ilovelamp wrote:
Galwayman wrote:
irelayer wrote:

Delta = AM

Go educate yourself about the employment practices of the ME3 and then come back to preach about boycotts.

Yes, in the meantime check how much some first officers at the US3 get paid.
Thanks and best Regards
AA

Etheereal

Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:14 pm

MileHFL400 wrote:
ilovelamp wrote:
Galwayman wrote:

Delta = AM

Yes, in the meantime check how much some first officers at the US3 get paid.

You know this forums have a lot of a.net posters that hate unions and are (not surprisingly) US3 employees?
There's still people that believe UA did nothing wrong with Dao's case.

airtran737

Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:41 pm

scbriml wrote:
airtran737 wrote:

So US3 also shouldn't be able to enplane passengers in London, Paris, Rome, Frankfurt, etc, etc, etc. Do you see how completely stupid that sounds?

irelayer wrote:

Guess who, based in Atlanta, is a major shareholder in AM? :scratchchin: Is it becoming clear now? AM is just being a mouthpiece for DL. :sarcastic:

The US3 aren't doing transient stops where they pick up more people. I don't see any milk runs for US carriers in Europe. The ME3 should only be allowed to fly from their point of origin to their destination. No stops in between unless it is for technical purposes, in which case, no passengers can be enplaned.
Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever

santi319

Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:31 pm

I am all for competition but when your airline is pretty much all subsidized its not fair and the entire airline industry knows it....

Good for Aeromexico because literally in the lawsuit they say “EK is heavily subsidized”.
Its time everyone stands up against the nonsense.

And dont get me started on their labor practices..

DDR

Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:42 pm

Galwayman wrote:

Delta = AM

Are you trolling or just don't know any better?

A380MSN004

Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:50 pm

Dominion301 wrote:
airtran737 wrote:

If the bilateral allows for a 5th freedom, why should EK be prevented from exploiting this?

Anyone can state what the bilateral allows?

blink182

Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:45 pm

airtran737 wrote:
scbriml wrote:
airtran737 wrote:

irelayer wrote:

The US3 aren't doing transient stops where they pick up more people. I don't see any milk runs for US carriers in Europe. The ME3 should only be allowed to fly from their point of origin to their destination. No stops in between unless it is for technical purposes, in which case, no passengers can be enplaned.

For one, US3 have done ‘milk runs’ in Asia and Latin America even today, and up until probably a decade ago, NW/DL flew AMS-India in cooperation with KL. European carriers do these just about everywhere. CX, CA, EK, EY, and QR all have several that they do in markets that have ample connections already, so what’s so bad about EK connecting two major markets that have been ignored by local carriers until EK announced?
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...

dcajet

Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:33 pm

blink182 wrote:
airtran737 wrote:
scbriml wrote:

For one, US3 have done ‘milk runs’ in Asia and Latin America even today, and up until probably a decade ago, NW/DL flew AMS-India in cooperation with KL. European carriers do these just about everywhere. CX, CA, EK, EY, and QR all have several that they do in markets that have ample connections already, so what’s so bad about EK connecting two major markets that have been ignored by local carriers until EK announced?

You bet. Until not that long ago, American carriers were the royalty of 5th freedoms in Latin America (Hello Braniff, Eastern and Pan Am). Even today, Delta still takes advantage of them in Asia. Talk about double standards.

At the end of the day, Emirates is not getting away with anything that is not allowed by the current bilateral/s. So (DL by proxy) AM, EK is not taking away any business of yours that you currently exploit. The Mexican traveler stands to benefit with EK's arrival @ MEX. Does any one care about the paying customer?

Dieuwer

Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:23 pm

IAH-LIM, flown by state-owned, massively subsidized Air China.
What? No crying and foaming about that?? I'm shocked, shocked!!

:roll:

Jayafe

Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:39 pm

OA940 wrote:

Free market is only good when they win. When not, it's a bullier that jeopardies jobs. Funny as hell that all of them can do nothing but stare at their belly button and sue, and then lose.

EddieDude

Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:11 pm

I think the only argument that may have legs is the fact that EK is subsidized by its national government and that, therefore, it is impossible to compete against them on equal footing. All else is, as many have said, DL speaking through AM. I would give AM a bit more credence if they had not cancelled the flight for which they had already taken bookings when EK announced the launch of its flight. I am sure that many of those dozens or hundreds of pax will try to get a full reimbursement from AM and book instead with EK.

The truth is that a DXB-BCN-MEX or a DXB-XXX-MEX flight will bring more tourism and therefore more wealth to Mexico, so it is great (not for AM) that we finally have EK serving MEX. The fact that BCN was chosen as the intermediate fifth-freedom stopover is kind of obvious considering that Barcelona is a tourism powerhouse that deserves a nonstop connection to MEX and that there are lots and lots of V.F.R. pax going from Mexico City to Barcelona and vice versa all year round. AM only relaunched BCN because they thought that their reentry into this market would result in the Spanish and Mexican governments denying the EK fifth freedom application. Their gamble had the opposite effect.
Upcoming flights:
April/May: AM MEX-SCL 788 (J), AM EZE-MEX 789 (J).

UAEflyer

Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:24 pm

rtii wrote:
Aeromexico is taking legal action against EK for taking over flights of Barcelona-Mexico

https://expansion.mx/empresas/2018/05/3 ... ona-mexico
(Only spanish)

It is skyteam (DL in particular) who is the main force behind this legal action.

slickvik

Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:11 am

Dieuwer wrote:
IAH-LIM, flown by state-owned, massively subsidized Air China.
What? No crying and foaming about that?? I'm shocked, shocked!!

:roll:

Do you mean PTY?

dodgers702

Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:17 pm

Well it looks like Tim Clark officially stated that indeed they have plan to fly the route and depending how long it takes to acquire slot(s) at MEX they hope to start this year. Also looks like it will be with a B777 but doesn't state if its the LR or -300. I am assuming with a stopover at BCN they can fly the 777-300 for that route.

http://www.notimex.gob.mx/ntxnotaLibre/ ... ith-mexico

https://www.eleconomista.com.mx/empresa ... -0047.html

EddieDude

Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:26 pm

Gosh, Notimex should fire their translators.
Upcoming flights:
April/May: AM MEX-SCL 788 (J), AM EZE-MEX 789 (J).

SCQ83

Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:35 pm

In this point, I am with Aeromexico.

At this time and age, 5th freedom routes should only be available in cases like MEX-DXB (not technically feasible) opening new opportunities that otherwise no one else would venture into. For instance, why don't they open DXB-GVA-MEX for which they had the rights? Mexico gets a connection to Switzerland (and vice versa) which otherwise no one else would have opened.

Not to mention, BCN would be much better with Aeromexico, providing accessibility to the rest of Mexico via MEX.

I suspect if EK ends operating BCN-MEX, this will become a first low-cost route between CDMX and Europe offering very cheap fares.

dcajet

Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:57 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
Not to mention, BCN would be much better with Aeromexico, providing accessibility to the rest of Mexico via MEX.

Nothing is preventing any passenger boarding an EK flight in BCN from connecting at MEX with ANY domestic service, be it AM or any other Mexican airline.

SCQ83 wrote:
I suspect if EK ends operating BCN-MEX, this will become a first low-cost route between CDMX and Europe offering very cheap fares.

EK is not a low cost airline, nor prices it services as such. What EK brings to the table is an on board product/service that AM can only dream about offering, regardless of the class of service. Then there are the connections at DXB and so forth. The Mexican traveler will be far better off if EK (in this case) is one of the choices available for travel to/fr MEX.

AA94

Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:34 pm

santi319 wrote:
I am all for competition but when your airline is pretty much all subsidized its not fair and the entire airline industry knows it....

Good for Aeromexico because literally in the lawsuit they say “EK is heavily subsidized”.
Its time everyone stands up against the nonsense.

And dont get me started on their labor practices..

This is such an old, tired argument. US carriers (heck, US companies across all sectors) receive billions in tax breaks and other indirect subsidies as rewards for starting services, establishing offices, or other such corporate actions. The State of Maryland alone offered Amazon $8.5 billion in incentives, credits, and grants as part of their offering to attract Amazon's second headquarters. Airport authorities offer airlines subsidies and reduced/deferred fees in order to attract services in hopes of boosting tourism and/or the local economy.

It doesn't matter if EK is heavily subsidized or not. The bilateral allows a 5th freedom route, they decided to fly it, and now Aeromexico (read: Delta) is sad because EK is allowed to fly it.

The US3 are capitalizing on the current administration's nationalist/protectionist attitude and the general stupidity of the American public to try and drum up sympathy in their war against the ME3. No one is stopping the US3 from flying these routes, except perhaps their bean counters and shareholders -- but that's their problem, not EK's.

Arion640

Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:44 pm

SCQ83 wrote:

Yes, while EK provides accessibility to the world.

MalevTU134

Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:53 pm

Arion640 wrote:
SCQ83 wrote:

Yes, while EK provides accessibility to the world.

EK already does that at BCN, twice a day.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos