JammyBritton27
Topic Author

Southwest makes emergency landing after passenger smokes joint

Thu May 31, 2018 6:29 pm

Southwest Flight 1250 from San Francisco to Los Angeles made an emergency landing after reports that a passenger lit up a marijuana cigarette in a bathroom. http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2018/05/ ... marijuana/

CairnterriAIR

Re: Southwest makes emergency landing after passenger smokes joint

Thu May 31, 2018 6:39 pm

sgbroimp

Thu May 31, 2018 6:39 pm

If so and convicted, I hope mandatory jail sentence, punitive fine, and compensation to airlines and passengers inconvenienced.

n471wn

Thu May 31, 2018 6:43 pm

We live in Calif and no one goes to jail for anything involving marijuana

hivue

Thu May 31, 2018 6:45 pm

Are diversions normal/required if the smoke alarm in a lav is triggered? Seems like they could have finished out the short flight to Burbank. It's not like the guy was going to escape.
"You're sitting. In a chair. In the SKY!!" ~ Louis C.K.

ilovelamp

Thu May 31, 2018 6:48 pm

n471wn wrote:

Good thing the person violated federal laws with regard to smoking on board an aircraft.

Boof02671

Thu May 31, 2018 6:49 pm

It’s a Federal Crime, not State.

YoungDon

Thu May 31, 2018 6:57 pm

lol, what a moron. Pretty funny for those of us lucky enough not to be on that flight though!

Two things come to mind - one - how did he even get the joint on the plane? Does TSA not screen for that?

Secondly, was the emergency landing really necessary?

Runway28L

Thu May 31, 2018 6:59 pm

This guy should've realized April 20th was over a month ago :duck:

Imagine if you were traveling for business and were inconvenienced by this degenerate.

travelin man

Thu May 31, 2018 7:01 pm

I think the bigger news is that there were only 33 passengers on the flight!

jbpdx

Thu May 31, 2018 7:03 pm

He should have just eaten it.
Major N.A. airports with no PDX nonstops: MIA, FLL, TPA, IND, MSY, CLE, CVG, PIT, RDU, MEX, CUN; +BNA, +BWI, +PHL, +YYZ

CCGPV

Thu May 31, 2018 7:05 pm

ilovelamp wrote:
n471wn wrote:

Good thing the person violated federal laws with regard to smoking on board an aircraft.

Ah, he'll get probation and a fine for a first time violation.
Stay curious

evank516

Thu May 31, 2018 7:08 pm

He'll probably face federal charges, but I can't imagine any federal possession charges. This was an intra-state flight too, I wonder if that has any bearing on the types of charges that would be filed. Probably just smoking on board an aircraft.

flyguy84

Thu May 31, 2018 7:08 pm

Seems a bit ridiculous to make an emergency landing/diversion for such an instance. This happens quite frequently and usually the passenger is just met at destination by law enforcement.
SFO

joeljack

Thu May 31, 2018 7:09 pm

The article says only 32 remaining passengers on the plane! That is crazy!! I've never seen a WN flight less than 100 passengers in probably 30-40 WN flights in my life. Sounds like a route that might need an adjustment.

bennett123

Thu May 31, 2018 7:12 pm

I imagine he set off the smoke alarm.

Best to land ASAP.

Cubsrule

Thu May 31, 2018 7:12 pm

joeljack wrote:
The article says only 32 remaining passengers on the plane! That is crazy!! I've never seen a WN flight less than 100 passengers in probably 30-40 WN flights in my life. Sounds like a route that might need an adjustment.

Because of the complex aircraft flows, one-off low l/f flights aren't that uncommon. I think my lowest passenger count was 18 or 19 on a very early morning SAT-DAL flight in about 2012.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

sw733

Thu May 31, 2018 7:17 pm

joeljack wrote:

You win some, you lose some. I was on a WN flight late last year with 14 people on it. Now, that's rare, but it was real...and it was spectacular.

Route was PHX-ONT on a Wednesday mid-afternoon.

DL717

Thu May 31, 2018 7:18 pm

Are they sure the guy in the interview wasn't him? He sounds like he was stoned.
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?

N626AA

Thu May 31, 2018 7:18 pm

I guess he thought SW = Smokin' Weed
A306 319 320 321 332 333 343 B722 733 734 735 737 738 744 752 762 763 772 773 DC93 DC1040 MD82/83/88 MD90 CRJ2 CRJ7 CRJ9 E140 E145/45X DHQ3 ATR7

Prost

Thu May 31, 2018 7:20 pm

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-scr ... -marijuana

Possession of marijuana and cannabis infused products, such as Cannabidiol (CBD) oil, is illegal under federal law. TSA officers are required to report any suspected violations of law, including possession of marijuana and cannabis infused products. TSA’s screening procedures are focused on security and are designed to detect potential threats to aviation and passengers. Accordingly, TSA security officers do not search for marijuana or other illegal drugs, but in the event a substance that appears to be marijuana or a cannabis infused product is observed during security screening, TSA will refer the matter to a law enforcement officer.

I have seen here in SEA people put their marijuana in a bin and TSA hasn’t done anything about it.

Indy

Thu May 31, 2018 7:26 pm

Was the guy's name Kumar Patel? This was the first thing that came to mind when I saw the title :-)
Indy = Indianapolis and not Independence Air

lightsaber

Thu May 31, 2018 7:39 pm

CCGPV wrote:
ilovelamp wrote:
n471wn wrote:

Ah, he'll get probation and a fine for a first time violation.

We'll see. Flaunting Federal law has consequences. I work Federal contracts, in California, and we had to sign papers noting Marijuana is still prohibited Federally and cause for termination despite State laws.

He will be billed for the diversion, that is typical.

Seriously, to be so addicted to a substance that you have to light up in flight?

But anything more depends on the prosecutor. I don't like variable law, but this is in the grey area.

At first I was in favor of legalization. Now... With the catch and release program, I have changed my mind. I didn't realize how many violent criminals were only put away on minor drug charges...

Meh, society always pendulums on such issues.

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

airplanenut

Thu May 31, 2018 7:41 pm

evank516 wrote:
He'll probably face federal charges, but I can't imagine any federal possession charges. This was an intra-state flight too, I wonder if that has any bearing on the types of charges that would be filed. Probably just smoking on board an aircraft.

Everything in aviation is federally regulated, so all federal laws trump state laws, even without crossing state lines. While the feds have not gone after marijuana in states where it is currently legal at the state level, there's nothing preventing them from doing so, especially if they want to add another charge since the marijuana usage was part of a broader federal crime. It's the same way that a bank robbery would be a federal charge, even if the robber never crossed state lines and robbed a bank that only exists in one state.
Why yes, in fact, I am a rocket scientist...

KLM11

Thu May 31, 2018 7:59 pm

YoungDon wrote:
lol, what a moron. Pretty funny for those of us lucky enough not to be on that flight though!

Two things come to mind - one - how did he even get the joint on the plane? Does TSA not screen for that?

It's their job to look for items that pose a security threat to the A/C. They fail far more often than not at just doing that. I don't know their exact policy about weed but I sure hope it's not on their radar; there are far more serious things to worry about.

Adults in California can legally use recreational marijuana. This isn't about what he smoked; it's the fact he smoked on board in the first place, which was no doubt dumb. Cigarette or joint, the repercussions will likely be the same given the fact it's a flight within CA.

KLM11
BENAIRE - The Refined Airline

AAtakeMeAway

Thu May 31, 2018 9:05 pm

YoungDon wrote:
how did he even get the joint on the plane? Does TSA not screen for that?

The short answer is no, they don't. Unless it's a substantial amount that appears to be trafficking, or if it's in liquid form above 3 oz, they look the other way.

greenair727

Thu May 31, 2018 9:12 pm

Article said he tripped the smoke alarm. As a result of this, does an airline HAVE to emergency land---even if they know its just a cigarette (and that that cigarette has been extinguished)? If not, I think it is very lame and inappropriate of WN to emergency land and inconvenience everyone. By emergency landing---they didn't make the plane safer for passengers nor improved any smokey condition of the cabin. They just delayed everyone....to what prove some kind of point?

Etheereal

Thu May 31, 2018 9:30 pm

YoungDon wrote:

Good news everyone! Mandatory full cavity searches for any passenger I/O CA state.

In capitalist america, security feels you.

Adispatcher

Thu May 31, 2018 9:47 pm

hivue wrote:
Are diversions normal/required if the smoke alarm in a lav is triggered? Seems like they could have finished out the short flight to Burbank. It's not like the guy was going to escape.

Generally, no. These situations are usually handled by having LEOs and/or airline personnel meet the passenger upon arrival, but we don't know the entirety of the situation.

Amsterdam

Thu May 31, 2018 10:03 pm

Thats not an emergency landing

AAlaxfan

Thu May 31, 2018 10:11 pm

A question: Could the marijuana smoke get into the cabin air and potentially impair the pilots, crew and passengers? If so, I think that would warrant an emergency landing and ground the flight crew for a while. As well as cause problems for those passengers that get routinely drug screened.
Grumpy. Not a dwarf, not an attitude. It's a lifestyle.

DfwRevolution

Thu May 31, 2018 10:27 pm

greenair727 wrote:
Article said he tripped the smoke alarm. As a result of this, does an airline HAVE to emergency land---even if they know its just a cigarette (and that that cigarette has been extinguished)? If not, I think it is very lame and inappropriate of WN to emergency land and inconvenience everyone. By emergency landing---they didn't make the plane safer for passengers nor improved any smokey condition of the cabin. They just delayed everyone....to what prove some kind of point?

When it comes to in-flight smoke or fire, I'll happily error on the side of caution.
I have a three post per topic limit. You're welcome to have the last word.

Amsterdam

Thu May 31, 2018 10:35 pm

DfwRevolution wrote:
greenair727 wrote:

When it comes to in-flight smoke or fire, I'll happily error on the side of caution.

Lavatory fire alarm —> crew member checks lavatory

In case of no fire, no action

In case of small fire, crew member puts it out

Only when there is a fire that cant be put out then you can talk about an emergency

In this news story case, nothing points to an actual fire
So no emergemcy landing

Media call almost every diversion an emergency landing

Amsterdam

Thu May 31, 2018 10:35 pm

AAlaxfan wrote:
A question: Could the marijuana smoke get into the cabin air and potentially impair the pilots, crew and passengers? If so, I think that would warrant an emergency landing and ground the flight crew for a while. As well as cause problems for those passengers that get routinely drug screened.

There go’s no air from the lavatory to the cockpit or cabin. It would be bad design if this is possible. The whole aircraft would stink like a toilet.

And people dont get high from some weed smoke going through a duct and then breathing in. The air is extremely dilluted by then.

stratclub

Thu May 31, 2018 10:58 pm

AAlaxfan wrote:

Yes, "in theory" it could. Air is continually dumped overboard at a controlled rate by the out flow valve to ventilate and pressurize the aircraft.

However about 50% of the cabin air is filtered by HEPA filters and recirculated. So ya, air is reused but because of the filtering and dilution you would have to have a pretty massive pot burning event (think bonfire) to even smell it in the cabin.

The lavs and galleys have their own vent system that vents overboard, so if he had not set off the lav smoke alarm and waited for the air to clear before opening the door, no one would have ever known that he was breaking Federal Law in the lav.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environme ... _(aircraft)
Last edited by stratclub on Thu May 31, 2018 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

smokeybandit

Thu May 31, 2018 11:07 pm

It wasn't flight 420 was it?

lightsaber

Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:42 am

smokeybandit wrote:

Rotfl

You have won the thread.
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

tomaheath

Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:58 am

I work at a magazine publisher and sometimes the paper dust in the HVAC units will set off the fire alarms. We make a big deal about this shut down the presses/and equipment and immediately exit the building. I feel the pilots did the correct thing on landing immediately the person could of put hot ash in the trash best to be safe in my opinion.

Revelation

Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:13 am

Boof02671 wrote:
It’s a Federal Crime, not State.

Especially if you don't offer to share!

Amsterdam wrote:
There go’s no air from the lavatory to the cockpit or cabin. It would be bad design if this is possible. The whole aircraft would stink like a toilet.

And people dont get high from some weed smoke going through a duct and then breathing in. The air is extremely dilluted by then.

You sound like you know what you're talking about, and given your user name, it's a damn certainty!

smokeybandit wrote:

:biggrin:
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

SANAV8R

Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:29 am

I mean the guy really couldn't wait what an hour and change to light up? Surprised no one from the NORML crowd hasn't tried to recreate the Smokers Express as Stoners Express. Ironically most of the routes would overlap with Alaska so just paint a plane green and put a joint in Chester's mouth

I'm honestly surprised those stupid Juuls haven't been causing diversions. Now those things are obnoxious, during finals week at my school last month, looking across the library one could see vape clouds arise from different desks continuously and they look like USB drives.
You're either gonna love me or hate me. There is no in between with me.

PA727

Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:46 am

lightsaber wrote:

Seriously, to be so addicted to a substance that you have to light up in flight?

Lightsaber

Lightsaber - I always enjoy and respect your posts, but I must take (sarcastic) umbrage with this. He was lighting a joint. He could have already been high. And we surely can't rule out the guy did nothing more than make an epically poor decision.

Tugger

Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:53 am

PA727 wrote:
Lightsaber - I always enjoy and respect your posts, but I must take (sarcastic) umbrage with this. He was lighting a joint. He could have already been high.

Excuse, me, how dumb are you? He was in a plane FLYING!!! Mid-flight! He was obviously already high....
:cloudnine:
Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

stratclub

Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:27 am

tomaheath wrote:
I work at a magazine publisher and sometimes the paper dust in the HVAC units will set off the fire alarms. We make a big deal about this shut down the presses/and equipment and immediately exit the building. I feel the pilots did the correct thing on landing immediately the person could of put hot ash in the trash best to be safe in my opinion.

An over reaction on SWA's part me thinks, but I wasn't there to determine that. Once alerted, a crew member within a matter of seconds could have easily determined that there was no fire burning anywhere in the lav.

Being that in aircraft operation if we error, it is in the direction of safety so really the flight crews action was not unexpected and was prudent as fire on an aircraft can very quickly turn into a catastrophic event with loss of life.

wn676

Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:09 am

....isn’t this what edibles were made for?
Tiny, unreadable text leaves ample room for interpretation.

Adipocere

Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:10 am

n471wn wrote:

That maybe true in CA state jurisdiction, but this dude effed up in the wrong place. He's going to have Uncle Jeff Sessions to worry about now...

Bradin

Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:11 am

It appears the alleged smoker was not detained or arrested.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/05/30/ ... -san-jose/

toobz

Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:22 am

Wow...you can’t wait a couple hours to smoke your joint?? bahahaha talk about jonesin

Armodeen

Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:23 am

greenair727 wrote:

Tripping the lav smoke alarms is a very common occurrence. Nobody is gonna divert just for that, an FA just urgently investigates to determine if there is a fire.

SwissCanuck

Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:46 am

Story time!

About ten years ago, I was on an AC A32x in J, and about mid-flight was doing my business in the forward lav. Suddenly, the F/A who I'd become quite chatty with throughout the flight started knocking on the door, calling me by my name, and asking me to exit the lav immediately. As I was mid-business this was no small task. Before I got my pants up, she forced the door and said I had to GTFO. I managed to get my bits away from view before being visible to other PAX. She immediately ran into the lav and started pulling doors, drawers, searching, etc, and asked if I was a smoker. I honestly replied, "Yes, but I'm not stupid enough or desperate to light up on an aircraft." Intercom dings, she picks up, and turns white as a sheet. The captain had told her, "Sorry, alarm was for the rear lav."

Some drunk eastern european type on holiday had lit one up back there. She was mortified at what she'd done to me. As soon as I got a grip on what had happened, I immediately reassured her that I understood full well she was just doing her job with the information she had on hand at the time. She asked me how to make it up to me, and I just said I'd like a stiff whiskey and keep em coming.

In the back they put out the smoke, "restrained" the passenger in his own row at the back (no I don't remember how), and we kept going to YYZ. No diversion, PAN, etc. F/A told me this is why they still keep ashtrays even in brand new lavs, to prevent the need to freak out. Toronto PD boarded at the gate, and after I assisted the F/A in telling people to keep their bloody @$$es in the seat as requested upon landing, they dragged the guy off the flight. Welcome to Canada.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos