alancostello

Re: Irish 6/18: Eastern Magic!

Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:19 pm

AmricanShamrok wrote:
BrianDromey wrote:
AFAIK the CTA only applies to U.K. and Irish citizens, by extension it should also apply to EU citizens, but that’s not the wording of the treaty and I don’t think that’s ever been tested in court.

On Twitter Stobart are reported to be increasing the capacity on KIR-DUB using can ATR72 for the winter. Where’s the -42 off to? Stobart should also have an ATR released from the Isle of Man, BE are taking over the routes themselves.

RE has retired the two ancient ATR 42-300s EI-CBK and EI-EHH and replaced them with one new ATR 42-600 (EI-GEV) which exclusively serves the DUB-CFN and DUB-IOM routes. The article is a bit misleading in that DUB-KIR was already upgauged to the ATR 72-600 at the beginning of the season but the increase in capacity they mention for W18 will be comparing the increase to W17.

I was on the 42 to Manchester two weeks ago on EI3322 as well, so they may be subbing in and out.

kaitak
Topic Author

Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:31 am

https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news ... ion-report

Looks like Airbus is adding range to the A321NeoLR ... no doubt of interest to EI; no numbers given in the article, unfortunately, but should allow them to increase number of cities in US/Can that can be served by narrowbody. Perhaps some future options can be converted to this.

ClassicLover

Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:09 am

alancostello wrote:
The EI J blankets I received were in sealed bags but had both stains/marks and long strands of hair on them, I've said it to the cabin crew on both occasions and they've just replaced them for me without more than an 'oh ok'. Qatar has been the same.

Washing machines are not perfect. I have to share machines with the other six apartments in my block and I get the occasional long hair attached to my clean clothes here and there. So I don't believe the airline blankets haven't been washed. I wouldn't worry about it, personally. If they weren't attempting to clean them, I think that scandal would have come out long before now.
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

embraer420

Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:10 am

What's up with the satellite terminal at DUB T2? Is it going to be replaced at some stage?

JAmie2k9

Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:16 am

embraer420 wrote:
What's up with the satellite terminal at DUB T2? Is it going to be replaced at some stage?

Planning is for 5 yea\rs, so it will go then or prehaps be extended for a few more but it won't be there long term.
___

Dublin Airport welcomes today’s announcement from Norwegian that it is to operate a new direct daily year-round service to Hamilton Ontario (Toronto) from March 2019.

The airline will operate its Dublin to Hamilton service with a new Boeing 737 MAX aircraft.

https://www.dublinairport.com/latest-ne ... on-toronto

___

Appears TAP plan a return to DUB

http://www.presstur.com/mercados/tap-va ... ves-ceo-3/

embraer420

Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:30 am

JAmie2k9 wrote:
embraer420 wrote:

Planning is for 5 yea\rs, so it will go then or prehaps be extended for a few more but it won't be there long term.
___

Dublin Airport welcomes today’s announcement from Norwegian that it is to operate a new direct daily year-round service to Hamilton Ontario (Toronto) from March 2019.

The airline will operate its Dublin to Hamilton service with a new Boeing 737 MAX aircraft.

https://www.dublinairport.com/latest-ne ... on-toronto

___

Appears TAP plan a return to DUB

http://www.presstur.com/mercados/tap-va ... ves-ceo-3/

Thanks, DUB needs proper investment, not a tiny satellite terminal.

Norwegian to Hamilton? Strange route, and surely this is WestJet territory.

shamrock321

Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:37 am

It’s logical for TP to return, with the growth at DUB, they can surely make it work this time round especially with their South American network.

Let’s hope Norwegian make a better go at Hamilton than Globespan did, it was always very delayed!

Lucky enough to be operating in/out of DUB twice in July!

Eirules

Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:34 pm

I said it on the individual thread but I don’t see that Toronto route working for Norwegian. It’s too far out of the city & AC offer very good fares which include tv, bag, food etc
The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live....

embraer420

Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:37 pm

Eirules wrote:
I said it on the individual thread but I don’t see that Toronto route working for Norwegian. It’s too far out of the city & AC offer very good fares which include tv, bag, food etc

Yeah, AC and EI fly direct to YYZ and if you want a cheap flight you can fly WS via YYT. In fact, the Hamilton route would probably work out slightly better if WS flew it as there'd be possible connections then. Norwegian will have a hard time filling that plane. It'll probably be mainly Canadian tourists from the local area and a few Irish trying to save a bit of money.

OA260

Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:02 am

Todays UA DUB-EWR the flight went tech this morning and was cancelled. Seems a lot of passengers were re protected on AC who had onward connections.

EI321

Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:29 am

CityJet and Air Nostrum's Hibernian looking at competing for Aer Lingus Regional ops

https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news ... gional-ops

embraer420

Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:05 am

EI321 wrote:
CityJet and Air Nostrum's Hibernian looking at competing for Aer Lingus Regional ops

WX don't have props (AFAIK ) so I'd say they won't get it. Depends on whether this Hibernian crowd have a suitable amount of props (and RJs?), and if Stobart can compete.

Skyblue39

Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:06 am

From Winter Timetable W18, Ethiopian have moved back up to 4 weekly ADD-DUB-LAX-DUB-ADD (3 weekly during S18).

embraer420

Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:14 pm

This may be a stupid question, but do the ET flights from DUB to the US use preclearance? Or, specifically, DUB-LAX? If not I'll go EI.

Skyblue39

Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:42 pm

embraer420 wrote:
This may be a stupid question, but do the ET flights from DUB to the US use preclearance? Or, specifically, DUB-LAX? If not I'll go EI.

For Los Angeles, Ethiopian operate from Terminal 1, so they don't use USCBP. Aer Lingus use it as they operate from T2.

embraer420

Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:50 pm

Skyblue39 wrote:
embraer420 wrote:

For Los Angeles, Ethiopian operate from Terminal 1, so they don't use USCBP. Aer Lingus use it as they operate from T2.

Thanks, that's unusual. EI it is then. I thought airlines had to use it, if not then why are Norwegian using it?

alancostello

Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:27 pm

embraer420 wrote:
Skyblue39 wrote:
embraer420 wrote:

Thanks, that's unusual. EI it is then. I thought airlines had to use it, if not then why are Norwegian using it?

Pretty sure it's due to the timings, they'd have to open up pre-clearance at 6am to cater for the Ethiopian flights.

AmricanShamrok

Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:47 pm

Airlines aren’t obligated to use preclearance - it’s opt-in. KU doesn’t use preclearance at SNN either (though I heard they’re reviewing it).

embraer420 wrote:
EI321 wrote:

WX don't have props (AFAIK ) so I'd say they won't get it. Depends on whether this Hibernian crowd have a suitable amount of props (and RJs?), and if Stobart can compete.

Why would props be a requirement for the Aer Lingus Regional operation?

OA260

Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:14 am

State cannot use privilege to prevent Aer Lingus and Ryanair seeing tax case papers

The State cannot claim privilege over certain documents Ryanair and Aer Lingus say they need for the airlines' cases seeking repayment of hundreds of millions of the air travel tax, the Court of Appeal has ruled.

The airlines are also seeking damages from the State over what they say was the unlawful levying of a variable rate tax between 2009 and 2011.

In December 2016, as part of the process leading up to the hearing of the actions, Mr Justice Max Barrett ruled the State was entitled to claim litigation privilege over documents deployed when the State defended proceedings brought against it by the European Commission over the tax.

Following a decision from the Commission, the tax of €2 or €10 per flight - depending on distance - was reduced to a flat rate of €3. In April 2014, the rate was cut to zero.

https://www.independent.ie/business/iri ... 40221.html

---

Eirtech Aviation Services flying high with 124 Belfast jobs

Eirtech Aviation Services has established a new composite repairs centre named Eirtech Aviation Composites in Belfast, Northern Ireland. To support the expansion, it will recruit 124 hires over the next four years.

Headquartered in Shannon Airport, the manufacturing and overhaul firms offers a range of aviation services to its customers. At this new centre, it will offer its UK-based customers repairs and overhauls of composite components on commercial aircrafts.

Invest NI has offered the company £992,000 worth of support towards the new jobs. These roles will contribute more than £4.3m annually in wages to the Northern Irish economy once recruited.

https://www.siliconrepublic.com/jobs/ei ... n-services

embraer420

Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:12 am

AmricanShamrok wrote:
Airlines aren’t obligated to use preclearance - it’s opt-in. KU doesn’t use preclearance at SNN either (though I heard they’re reviewing it).

embraer420 wrote:
EI321 wrote:

They're not a requirement, but EI (well Stobart really) use all props at the moment and they have lower fuel burn/operating costs on shorter routes. And they can use shorter runways. Routes like DUB-CFN and DUB-NQY would be better off with props.

AmricanShamrok

Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:30 am

embraer420 wrote:
AmricanShamrok wrote:

embraer420 wrote:

They're not a requirement, but EI (well Stobart really) use all props at the moment and they have lower fuel burn/operating costs on shorter routes. And they can use shorter runways. Routes like DUB-CFN and DUB-NQY would be better off with props.

The DUB-CFN route is a public service obligation route awarded to Stobart Air. If RE were to lose the Aer Lingus Regional contract, this route (along with DUB-KIR) would stay with Stobart.

embraer420

Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:35 am

AmricanShamrok wrote:
embraer420 wrote:
AmricanShamrok wrote:

The DUB-CFN route is a public service obligation route awarded to Stobart Air. If RE were to lose the Aer Lingus Regional contract, this route (along with DUB-KIR) would stay with Stobart.

Ah OK. Stupid me, I thought the PSO contract was awarded to Aer Lingus, but technically they're not the ones flying the route.

shamrock350

Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:42 am

CityJet could always get props if it's a deciding factor, they were happy enough to order CRJs as part of the SAS deal.

Depending on the complexities of the deal, the franchise could be a mix of prop and regional jet operations opening up new markets in Europe which would further grow the Dublin hub and strengthen the short haul network which has stagnated slightly of late. The only issue is if Aer Lingus mainline crews take against this idea and see it as outsourcing potential work for themselves but the reality appears to be that Aer Lingus cannot make certain markets in Europe with the A320 and ordering a smaller sub fleet of jets for the mainline operation is almost out of the question.

eicvd

Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:50 am

TUI having a bit of a nightmare in DUB today, the 0540 to TFS is only departing around 1500, the afternoon KGS is now cancelled.
COYBIB

OA260

Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:57 am

eicvd wrote:
TUI having a bit of a nightmare in DUB today, the 0540 to TFS is only departing around 1500, the afternoon KGS is now cancelled.

Been a very bad few weeks for them. As I stated above and KGS seems to be especially hard hit. TUI really need to get their act together.

JAmie2k9

Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:32 pm

eicvd wrote:

Will be fun when there is 2 Sunwing based next summer.

That TFS was due to go yesterday evening and will probably 25-26 hours late by the time it goes. Turing into the chaos they had maybe two years ago.

Skyblue39

Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:38 pm

Cello Aviation are also running with perpetual delays too.

eidvm

Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:42 pm

AmricanShamrok wrote:

Props would be required as any jet aircraft would have to be operated by Aer Lingus mainline due to a long standing agreement between IALPA and Aer Lingus which apparently the pilots are quite militant about.

Then again the C-Series CS300 holds 160 Pax, which is only 14 less than an A320 and the CS100 holds up to 133 pax, only 11 passengers less than Aer Lingus' previous A319 configuration, so certainly could be an option for Aer Lingus mainline to operate thin routes to mainland europe.

BestWestern

Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:55 pm

Do EI pilots have a scope clause?
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

AmricanShamrok

Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:20 pm

EI823 (CDG-ORK) diverting to SNN right now after a hold north of ORK. Reason unknown. The aircraft is EI-DES, an A320.

AmricanShamrok

Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:26 pm

AmricanShamrok wrote:
EI823 (CDG-ORK) diverting to SNN right now after a hold north of ORK. Reason unknown. The aircraft is EI-DES, an A320.

Update from ORK Twitter: “The nose wheel of a light aircraft en route from Waterford to @CorkAirport collapsed on landing on runway 16 causing a temporary closure of the runway.There are no reported injuries to the pilot who walked from the aircraft.”

Runway 07/25 is still operational meaning RE flights may not be affected.

https://mobile.twitter.com/CorkAirport? ... r%5Eauthor

shamrock350

Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:34 pm

Appears to have been a light aircraft from Waterford, nose gear collapsed on landing.

https://www.thesun.ie/news/2755158/emer ... k-airport/

Busy day for Cork, earlier they discovered a South American Coati, similar to a Racoon, climbing the perimeter fence!

embraer420

Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:06 pm

JAmie2k9 wrote:
eicvd wrote:

That TFS was due to go yesterday evening and will probably 25-26 hours late by the time it goes. Turing into the chaos they had maybe two years ago.

Do TUI have their own 737s operating out of DUB or is it just Sunwing planes?

EISHN

Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:34 pm

Flew transatlantic for the first time in three years. EI 124 ORD-DUB. Our aircraft was EI-GCF, the newest A330-300 in the fleet. It had the newer economy seats, which I found more comfortable than the previous ones. IFE worked fine. Flight was full bar one or two seats.
Beef stew for dinner wasn’t bad at all and portions kept me from being hungry the rest of the flight. Cup of tea and a rubbish breakfast burrito served before arrival. Crew were fine, but nothing special and not how I remember they used to be. Not rude, but not overly friendly.
Overall Aer Lingus were perfectly fine but nothing special.

Family flew in on the new SEA flight and had the exact same experience. They said the flight was oversold and were told by agents that it has been selling very well so hopefully the route has a good future.

Arriving into DUB it was wonderful to see both the Hainan A330 and Cathay A350 (absolutely gleaming in the beautiful weather).

Best of all, it’s great to be home for a visit!
St. Flannan/ Fhlanain- She took off to find the footlights, And I took off for the sky

JAmie2k9

Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:46 pm

embraer420 wrote:
JAmie2k9 wrote:
eicvd wrote:

Over winter its there own but not in summer (well pleny of there own filling in for delays). They have a long term agreement with Sunwing and both send aircraft to cover each carriers peak season. TUI have them at four or five airports including BFS, NWI and LBA.

OA260

Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:25 pm

embraer420 wrote:

Seems they have stretched themselves too thin and its now effecting their brand. Passengers have been venting their frustration at the resort Reps and call centre lines. Many being offered extra compensation.

Galwayman

Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:43 pm

eidvm wrote:
AmricanShamrok wrote:

Props would be required as any jet aircraft would have to be operated by Aer Lingus mainline due to a long standing agreement between IALPA and Aer Lingus which apparently the pilots are quite militant about.

Then again the C-Series CS300 holds 160 Pax, which is only 14 less than an A320 and the CS100 holds up to 133 pax, only 11 passengers less than Aer Lingus' previous A319 configuration, so certainly could be an option for Aer Lingus mainline to operate thin routes to mainland europe.

I would love to see the CS300 and or CS100 in the EI fleet,as with the A321LR it would add lots of fleet flexibility and open up lots of new destinations

mast2407

Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:16 pm

OA260 wrote:
embraer420 wrote:

Seems they have stretched themselves too thin and its now effecting their brand. Passengers have been venting their frustration at the resort Reps and call centre lines. Many being offered extra compensation.

Extremely poor planning if that’s the case. And extremely preventable and avoidable. That’s not good at all.

OA260

Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:17 pm

mast2407 wrote:
OA260 wrote:
embraer420 wrote:

Extremely poor planning if that’s the case. And extremely preventable and avoidable. That’s not good at all.

Indeed some of the delays have resulted in their passengers getting 5 days holiday instead of 7 ! Not on at all.

IrishTexan

Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:46 pm

Irish transport minister Shane Ross comments on Government transport policy in interview with ClareFM.
https://www.clare.fm/featured-2/ross-sh ... nt-policy/
"The Transport Minister insists the government is “very seriously” considering the distribution of air traffic amongst Ireland’s airports. Over recent years, there have been continuous calls for policies which would support more traffic to come to Shannon, at a time when Dublin has continued to grow. Dublin Airport has carried 87% of all passengers in Irish Airports this year, and it’s seeking further growth with the development of a third runway. While many here would like to see more growth at Shannon, Minister Shane Ross has told Clare FM that he would too, but that to address this is a matter of broader government policy."

Just political pandering to a local audience? What next - reinstate a compulsory SNN stop on DUB T/A flights?

JAmie2k9

Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:36 pm

IrishTexan wrote:
Irish transport minister Shane Ross comments on Government transport policy in interview with ClareFM.
https://www.clare.fm/featured-2/ross-sh ... nt-policy/
"The Transport Minister insists the government is “very seriously” considering the distribution of air traffic amongst Ireland’s airports. Over recent years, there have been continuous calls for policies which would support more traffic to come to Shannon, at a time when Dublin has continued to grow. Dublin Airport has carried 87% of all passengers in Irish Airports this year, and it’s seeking further growth with the development of a third runway. While many here would like to see more growth at Shannon, Minister Shane Ross has told Clare FM that he would too, but that to address this is a matter of broader government policy."

Just political pandering to a local audience? What next - reinstate a compulsory SNN stop on DUB T/A flights?

Telling people in Clare what they want to hear, reality is nothing will change nor will Ross be in the job long enough. His time will be up any day now.

dstc47

Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:40 am

More craziness from a useless Minister. But perhaps Shane Ross is working on an Air Koryu stopover for SNN?.

Got to say that Dublin transatlantic gate conditions are fairly stretched at present, with elderly passengers having to stand due to lack of space. Like old times down in the pagoda.

Incidentally since the inter terminal transit train link at ORD is also replaced by a bus on weekdays at present, it might be wise to avoid routing EI / UA via ORD if you can.

mast2407

Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:30 am

I think I’d like to hope that Ross is suggesting that there might be some kind of package possible for the other airports that could be used to lure customers (both the airlines and the passengers) to them. I’m not so sure I’d like to imagine a row back to the times when a mandatory stop over was a thing... that’d be unfortunate, and if anything I could see various airlines pulling entire fleets out of Dublin before taking an additional stop in Shannon.

What I’d really like to know (and saying this as someone who is from the Midwest), is when people from the other catchment areas are gonna realize that Dublin is the capital city, and the likes of Shannon, knock and cork, well, are not...?

planemanofnz

Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:47 am

Does anyone think that EI would ever serve Iceland or Greenland from DUB? Looking at the geography, DUB is really well-positioned to serve as a feeder hub into both. As I see it, the 2 big hurdles would be: 1) competition to Iceland, with two carriers already on the route, and 2) demand to Greenland, with limited tourism infrastructure. DUB - SFJ is actually shorter than DUB - ATH!

Cheers,

C.

EI321

Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:08 pm

I cant see much point in EI flying to Iceland now that the two large Icelandic carriers are serving Dublin and picking up mostly transiting passengers. EI would be better off launching another US route. Greenland would have practically no passenger demand from Ireland, they would be flying empty planes.

Galwayman

Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:22 pm

Iceland could well work for EI , damaging yield for both WOW and also Icelandair ... DUblin is perfect spot to feed from KEF into Southern Europe and the med sun resorts plus the canaries . Also would help aircraft utilisation with a late evening departure to KEF and red eye back to Dublin arriving 4/5 am

I also expect Halifax for much the same reasons at some stage

Greenland is a non starter IMHO

stratocruiser

Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:57 am

Galwayman wrote:
Iceland could well work for EI , damaging yield for both WOW and also Icelandair ... DUblin is perfect spot to feed from KEF into Southern Europe and the med sun resorts plus the canaries . Also would help aircraft utilisation with a late evening departure to KEF and red eye back to Dublin arriving 4/5 am

I also expect Halifax for much the same reasons at some stage

Although it would be difficult with Icelandair and Wow already serving DUB, Iceland might possibly generate enough tourist O&D traffic in both directions to support a couple of EI flights a week, but I do not however think that one could expect significant transit traffic from KEF through Dublin. If you consider the fact that the whole country of Iceland has a population of only 350,000 and It is already very well connected by direct flights to many European cities including some flights each day to various sun resorts in the Mediterranean and Canaries, the numbers of passengers likely to transit through DUB would be very small indeed.

planemanofnz

Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:08 am

stratocruiser wrote:
If you consider the fact that the whole country of Iceland has a population of only 350,000 ...

No - the EI KEF traffic would be primarily ex-EU holidaymakers - the (small) population of Iceland would not be a significant hindrance.

In fact, when you consider that a lot of seats on the existing Iceland flights are dedicated to US transits, there has to be an opportunity.

Cheers,

C.

planemanofnz

Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:13 am

Galwayman wrote:

EI321 wrote:
Greenland would have practically no passenger demand from Ireland, they would be flying empty planes.

I'm not disagreeing with this view, though I would point out that Greenland is currently undergoing a massive aviation infrastructure boom - in October, work will start on USD 420 million of airport projects. The region does have tourism potential, albeit maybe not in the short-term.

See: http://www.globalconstructionreview.com ... s-build-g/.

Separately, an SFJ flight could potentially do well on cargo - if the plane is just going to be sitting in DUB overnight anyway, freight might be enough to get the service across the line. At the moment, air freight options to Europe are limited, with just GL through CPH and NY to KEF.

Cheers,

C.

planemanofnz

Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:16 am

Galwayman wrote:
I also expect Halifax for much the same reasons at some stage ...

AFAIK, the 320CEO's couldn't do Halifax, unlike with Greenland and Iceland. That would be a big hindrance. Separately, I don't think a Halifax return service would fit within the block of down-time that an EI narrow-body has overnight, given the early starts that some of these planes have flying to other European cities.

Cheers,

C.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos