BrianDromey

Re: Irish 6/18: Eastern Magic!

Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:48 pm

Cork currently has 4 based EI A320s, 3 FR 737s, 3 AT7. So it’s a busy summer when you also take the scheduled daily AF to CDG, 4 weekly PVD, 3 weekly ZRH and twice weekly MAD into account. All of that said, the current terminal has a quoted capacity of up to 5 million and although can be busy, I wouldn’t say is congested. What would you spend money on? A runaway extension, perhaps or Cat III ILS?

I suppose the current restrictions on the DUB second runway could be rebranded by politicians as advancing the interests of Cork and Shannon? I don’t think it should be done, but would probably be the only practical (and possibly legal) way to artificially stimulate the market away from DUB.

The big risk with that approach is that the whole country might loose out. SQ, for example, might be interested in adding Dublin, but if they were forced to Shannon or Cork they might go to Copenhagen or Lisbon, etc instead.

leghorn

Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:03 am

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingn ... 52110.html

Maybe it could support one or two services to London each day but beyond that I don't see the point of the airport as it is in a relatively sparsely populated part of Ireland with too much competition from Dublin and Cork.

Cork should get a longer runway.

stratocruiser

Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:51 am

leghorn wrote:
https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/business/waterford-airport-given-lifeline-by-varadkar-852110.html

Maybe it could support one or two services to London each day but beyond that I don't see the point of the airport as it is in a relatively sparsely populated part of Ireland with too much competition from Dublin and Cork.

Cork should get a longer runway.

Although Waterford may be able to support one or two daily London services even this must be questioned given the past history of attempts to establish this route. Unfortunately Waterford Airport with its relatively small catchment population is never going to be viable if it only has to rely on airline services as it is very unlikely to attract enough of them mainly, as you say, because of competition from Cork which is not that far away and Dublin which is probably almost as easy to reach as Cork with the new motorway connection. If Waterford had a longer runway then maybe it would have attracted an LCC or two but investing in a longer runway in WAT would be one risky gamble. Sadly again I think once again this is a case of a politician saying what he thinks voters want to hear.

With regard to Cork’s runway, a modest 300-400m extension would surely not be beyond the bounds of engineering possibility? Certainly easier than the runway extension built at Funchal! If however money was to be spent on infrastructure development at Cork I think investing in a CAT III ILS would be a better option given that airport’s propensity to low visibility.

mast2407

Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:07 pm

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos