Topic Author

Air Italy's Inaugurates Flight From Milan to New York

Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:20 pm

Air Italy launched its first international flight from Milan-Malpensa to New York JFK yesterday with its ex-Qatar A330. The plane landed this morning in Malpensa with a 95% load factor.

Curious fact: Both Alitalia and Air Italy flights to Milan depart at the same time. Alitalia passengers queued up on the Air Italy line, and vice versa.

Here's a full report of the inaugural flight:

https://airwaysmag.com/special-flights/ ... l-jfk-mxp/

Cheers
Flying isn't dangerous. Crashing is what's dangerous!

AirCalSNA

Re: Air Italy's Inaugurates Flight From Milan to New York

Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:38 pm

Glad to hear of this development. Unbelievably ugly livery.

NickolayAv

Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:44 pm

AirCalSNA wrote:

In my opinion it is a nice livery, my problem with it is that it screams "Qatar Airways". There is not Italian feel to the livery.
If they are trying to replace Alitalia as the flag carrier, I think the livery should remind people of Italy, and not Qatar.
Maybe if they changed the maroon and Blue to red and green it would seem more Italian, but I do not know how it would look like.
"If you want to be a millionaire, start with a billion dollars and launch a new airline"-Richard Branson

Rookie87

Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:58 pm

I can’t understand how someone does a trip report and sleeps through the other services.
Good luck to Air Italy

Rookie87

Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:59 pm

NickolayAv wrote:
AirCalSNA wrote:

In my opinion it is a nice livery, my problem with it is that it screams "Qatar Airways". There is not Italian feel to the livery.
If they are trying to replace Alitalia as the flag carrier, I think the livery should remind people of Italy, and not Qatar.
Maybe if they changed the maroon and Blue to red and green it would seem more Italian, but I do not know how it would look like.

I agree with you and pictured the color change and feel that it would be much better.

XLA2008

Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:03 pm

It’s just Qatar Airways with a different name, same Qatar maroon, same Qatar seats and color, same Qatar airways uniform just a different neck scarf... the logo for Air Italy isn’t indicative of Italy as a country neither are the colors. It literally is just Qatar Airways operating from Milan. I wish them best of luck, we all know al baker hates to lose so don’t think Qatar Italy... sorry Air Italy is going to go anywhere soon. I do have to say I hate the livery! And I hate that everything is a hand me down from Qatar Airways like cabin seats, uniform, colors... it doesn’t give Air Italy its own identity at all, or represent anything Italian, it’s almost like a second hand airline filling the gap. Nothing nice about the livery or fresh and modern about it, it’s all Qatar’s stuff.

I do agree that Italy does need to get the airlines in order, shame Alitalia is so heavily blocked by Unions forcing its hand at every turn. There is no reason without the proper resources that Alitalia couldn’t maintain its status and still make a profit. Alitalia is a total mess, it would be a shame to see them disappear and mark the end of an era. Especially given that the flag carrier for Italy would technically be a Qatari airline.
Last edited by XLA2008 on Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.“

GE90man

Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:05 pm

NickolayAv wrote:
AirCalSNA wrote:

Everything just screams Qatar. I see nothing that reminds me of Italy.

Antarius

Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:10 pm

GE90man wrote:
NickolayAv wrote:
AirCalSNA wrote:

If the airline functions on time and with a quality product.... that's so un-Italian from a transport side that the colors are a mere afterthought.
2019: SIN HKG NRT DFW IAH HOU CLT LGA JFK SFO SJC EWR SNA EYW MIA BOG LAX ORD DTW OAK PVG BOS DCA IAD ATL LAS BIS CUN PHX SYD CVG PHL MAD ORY CDG SLC SJU BQN MHT YYZ STS DOH BLR KTM MFM MEX MSY BWI DEN

Byrdluvs747

Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:29 pm

AirCalSNA wrote:

I agree 100%.

NickolayAv wrote:
In my opinion it is a nice livery,

Please see an Ophthalmologist :yuck: :stirthepot:

NickolayAv wrote:
There is not Italian feel to the livery. .....I think the livery should remind people of Italy, and not Qatar.

That battle was lost as soon as they changed from Meridiana to "Air Italy"
Last edited by Byrdluvs747 on Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The 747: The hands who designed it were guided by god.

Byrdluvs747

Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:30 pm

Byrdluvs747 wrote:
AirCalSNA wrote:
Unbelievably ugly livery.

I agree 100%.

NickolayAv wrote:
In my opinion it is a nice livery,

Please see an Ophthalmologist :yuck: :stirthepot:

NickolayAv wrote:
There is not Italian feel to the livery. .....I think the livery should remind people of Italy, and not Qatar.

That battle was lost as soon as they changed from Meridiana to "Air Italy"
Last edited by Byrdluvs747 on Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The 747: The hands who designed it were guided by god.

OA940

Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:34 pm

Was checking out the fares for MXP-BOM and they are some 260 euros. Idk if that's an offer, but if prices remain like that then they can expect an influx of passengers. Also using MXP is a great choice. They can avoid the competition from Rome and Milan is a big enough market to handle a major carrier. Once they have established themselves as a player in the Italian market they can expand to Rome.
A350/CSeries = bae

N62NA

Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:56 pm

Alitalia, American, Delta, Emirates and now Air Italy on this route!

Wonder why they didn't fly to EWR instead? It's just UA on the route.

3rdGen

Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:55 pm

Having the maroon in their scheme is a good idea as it means that the QR aircraft interiors fit in. That gives a good first impression.

What does white blue and yellow have to do with Germany. Or red and white with India?

If they offer a good product at a competitive price they'll do just fine. I doubt the majority of the public are really gonna care about their color scheme.
لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله

eta unknown

Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:58 pm

Interesting web site they have- no muti city option and you can't book a one way ticket from MXP to JFK or MIA. BUT, fares have been filed as you can book Air Italy one way on expedia... weird.

aerokiwi

Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:38 am

Antarius wrote:
GE90man wrote:
NickolayAv wrote:

If the airline functions on time and with a quality product.... that's so un-Italian from a transport side that the colors are a mere afterthought.

Haha my thoughts exactly. The "Italian style" has been tried over and over, to less than brilliant results. If this is just Qatar-via-Italy, then fantastic!

smi0006

Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:54 am

Congratulations to IG, I hope we see them challenge the status quo a bit more - Service in business looks impressive. Hopefully without AZs legacy labour challenges they can turn a profit.

I wonder if we could see them integrate into the AA/BA/IB JV at some point

LupineChemist

Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:31 am

Saw on Twitter that AZ and IG were boarding at the same time near each other at JFK T1 causing a fair amount of confusion.

Embajador3

Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:49 am

At the end of the day, people won't fly Air Italy or Alitalia for brand loyalty, but for either one of them offering the lowest possible fare to their destination. Most people won't even care for the colors of the aircraft and will probably dedicate 5 seconds to noticing the interiors and the crew's uniform.
Flying Together

Blerg

Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:12 am

Embajador3 wrote:
At the end of the day, people won't fly Air Italy or Alitalia for brand loyalty, but for either one of them offering the lowest possible fare to their destination. Most people won't even care for the colors of the aircraft and will probably dedicate 5 seconds to noticing the interiors and the crew's uniform.

I actually disagree with this. People do mind and will pay a bit more to fly on a preferred carrier because it's familiar and reliable. That's why airlines invest so much money into promoting their brand. Naturally if the difference in price is €100 then sure, they will go with the cheaper price. But €50 is a different story.

I regularly pay more to fly on LH because they are a serious and reliable business to get me where I need to be while offering a decent enough product. Airlines do try to attract everyone but there is still a mark below which they can't go otherwise they end up like Norwegian.

rlwynn

Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:16 am

I usually never complain about a livery but that whole concept is just wrong. Even the Name.
I can drive faster than you

XLA2008

Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:19 am

rlwynn wrote:
I usually never complain about a livery but that whole concept is just wrong. Even the Name.

Agree 100%
“For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.“

HighFlyerIT

Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:49 am

I don't agree with this statement:

"And to do so, the airline has to penetrate a tradition-oriented population that knows—and is used to flying—one airline only: Alitalia."

AZ's offer in terms of routes is so poor that Italians got used to just choosing the lowest fare option and rarely fly on Alitalia. Which means LCCs on domestic and European flights (mainly Ryanair) and LH, BA, AF, etc. on long haul.

That said, I personally couldn't care less about the livery and the colors, considering the situation of our airlines. What is important is that they're finally establishing a new major airline with lots of intercontinental connections based in MXP, which is much needed given the size of the market in the Milan area. I'm positive about how the situation is evolving.

jfklganyc

Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:32 am

I agree with above poster.

AZ in Italy is as relevant as TWA was in the US in 1999.

I think most posters are grasping at traditional views that no longer exist

Embajador3

Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:44 am

Blerg wrote:
Embajador3 wrote:

I actually disagree with this. People do mind and will pay a bit more to fly on a preferred carrier because it's familiar and reliable. That's why airlines invest so much money into promoting their brand. Naturally if the difference in price is €100 then sure, they will go with the cheaper price. But €50 is a different story.

I regularly pay more to fly on LH because they are a serious and reliable business to get me where I need to be while offering a decent enough product. Airlines do try to attract everyone but there is still a mark below which they can't go otherwise they end up like Norwegian.

Not everyone is willing to pay more for flying LH, when they have EZY or FR that takes them to their destination, safely, at a lower price. There is a big reason for the rise of low cost airlines: price sensitive pax. If everybody were willing to pay more to fly legacy airlines, FR would not be in the position it is now.
Flying Together

Embajador3

Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:44 am

Blerg wrote:
Embajador3 wrote:

Not everyone is willing to pay more for flying LH, when they have EZY or FR that takes them to their destination, safely, at a lower price. There is a big reason for the rise of low cost airlines: price sensitive pax. If everybody were willing to pay more to fly legacy airlines, FR would not be in the position it is now.
Last edited by Embajador3 on Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flying Together

Embajador3

Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:45 am

Blerg wrote:
Embajador3 wrote:

Flying Together

POTKC

Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:58 am

Something many posters here are missing is that the interior seems hand-me-down because that’s exactly what it is. Air Italy’s A330s are temporary, until they get their 787s. For a look at their real interior go look at photos of the newly delivered 737 MAX...the A330s just have what Qatar left in there.

Blerg

Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:17 pm

Embajador3 wrote:
Blerg wrote:
Embajador3 wrote:

And if you were right then all airlines in Europe would match FR's product. The fact they don't only goes to show that the rock-bottom market is limited. This has been especially obvious in Bulgaria where Ryanair and Wizz Air are suspending 9 routes while legacies keep on adding flights. The fact is that not everyone wants to chase the lower fare and many people out there are ready and willing to pay a bit more to experience a decent product.

Same thing with long-haul flights. There is a reason why every airline out there is rolling out premium economy.

Embajador3

Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:19 pm

Blerg wrote:
Embajador3 wrote:
Blerg wrote:

And if you were right then all airlines in Europe would match FR's product. The fact they don't only goes to show that the rock-bottom market is limited. This has been especially obvious in Bulgaria where Ryanair and Wizz Air are suspending 9 routes while legacies keep on adding flights. The fact is that not everyone wants to chase the lower fare and many people out there are ready and willing to pay a bit more to experience a decent product.

Same thing with long-haul flights. There is a reason why every airline out there is rolling out premium economy.

Things legacy airlines are doing or already did, matching low cost airlines practices:
- Priority boarding/Speedy boarding (Skyteam Alliance members use SkyPriority, which is also available for sale for pax flying turist class.
- Online check-in
- Print your boarding card at home or bring it on your phone.
- Pay extra for seating at emergency exits.
- Pay extra to seat wherever you wish, instead where the system allocates you automatically.
- Paying for onboard catering (some airlines are doing thing on shorthaul flights: UX, IB, SK, SN... ).
- Charging extra for checking in your hold luggage on shorthaul flights.

So, as you can see, not everyone wishes to pay extra to fly IB, AF, LH or BA, when they can buy a cheaper fare with FR, EZ, etc.
Flying Together

spannacomo

Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:43 pm

HighFlyerIT wrote:
I don't agree with this statement:

"And to do so, the airline has to penetrate a tradition-oriented population that knows—and is used to flying—one airline only: Alitalia."

AZ's offer in terms of routes is so poor that Italians got used to just choosing the lowest fare option and rarely fly on Alitalia. Which means LCCs on domestic and European flights (mainly Ryanair) and LH, BA, AF, etc. on long haul.

That said, I personally couldn't care less about the livery and the colors, considering the situation of our airlines. What is important is that they're finally establishing a new major airline with lots of intercontinental connections based in MXP, which is much needed given the size of the market in the Milan area. I'm positive about how the situation is evolving.

That is perfect thank you.
Actually Al baker is challenging the traditional view of the italian market, which is FCO oriented. IG is betting MXP will outperform FCO as a hub which is the challenge of the century in that small part of the world. Sure his views are influenced by continuous AZ bad economic performances and by the fact that Lombardy is by far the leading region in Italy by population, wealth and business. I think IG have good possibilities to succeed, but who knows, we will see.

Blerg

Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:11 pm

Embajador3 wrote:
Blerg wrote:
Embajador3 wrote:

Things legacy airlines are doing or already did, matching low cost airlines practices:
- Priority boarding/Speedy boarding (Skyteam Alliance members use SkyPriority, which is also available for sale for pax flying turist class.
- Online check-in
- Pay extra to seat wherever you wish, instead where the system allocates you automatically.
- Paying for onboard catering (some airlines are doing thing on shorthaul flights: UX, IB, SK, SN... ).

So, as you can see, not everyone wishes to pay extra to fly IB, AF, LH or BA, when they can buy a cheaper fare with FR, EZ, etc.

Please read what I wrote above before writing elaborate answers which are off topic. I said that not everyone is willing to fly on Ryanair or Wizz Air. There are quite a lot of people out there who are willing to spend more money on an airfare in order to get more comfort. Yes, some airlines give you the option of checking-in at home but there are also a lot of airlines that allow you to do it at the airport for no extra charge. There are still a lot of legacies that allow you to chose your own seat without a fee. Equally so, there are a lot of airlines that give you a free snack and a drink while onboard.

Please go back to your initial post where you claimed all passengers care for is the price of the ticket. This generalization is quite wrong.

A380MSN004

Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:27 pm

N62NA wrote:

Anyone can give the annual traffic on this route please?

moa999

Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:29 pm

The color scheme I don't mind, albeit with its 'pop' colors it's a little LCC, definitely no LH scheme that's been recently oft-discussed.

But i simply don't get the tail pattern.
The stylised Y us the main element

But it's repeated partially above and below, but then also flipped somewhat.

It's an awkward mix between an EY style pattern and a proper logo.

HighFlyerIT

Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:05 pm

A380MSN004 wrote:
N62NA wrote:

686,891 in 2017
+ 151,803 on MXP-EWR

Embajador3

Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:42 pm

Blerg wrote:
Embajador3 wrote:
Blerg wrote:

- Online check-in

Please read what I wrote above before writing elaborate answers which are off topic. I said that not everyone is willing to fly on Ryanair or Wizz Air. There are quite a lot of people out there who are willing to spend more money on an airfare in order to get more comfort. Yes, some airlines give you the option of checking-in at home but there are also a lot of airlines that allow you to do it at the airport for no extra charge. There are still a lot of legacies that allow you to chose your own seat without a fee. Equally so, there are a lot of airlines that give you a free snack and a drink while onboard.

Please go back to your initial post where you claimed all passengers care for is the price of the ticket. This generalization is quite wrong.

I respect your opinion. I stand with my own personal one. Cheers.
Flying Together

A380MSN004

Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:12 pm

HighFlyerIT wrote:
A380MSN004 wrote:
N62NA wrote:

686,891 in 2017
+ 151,803 on MXP-EWR

Thanks. 6 players for 800K+ pax, let's see what happen then

A380MSN004

Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:31 pm

Business question :
At the moment Qatar Airways got 49% of Air Italy via the holding AQA Holding (Holding of Meridiana). If i'm correct by EU Law, they can't go higher than 49%.

Dummy business question :
Is there a limit of the money Qatar Airways can inject in the Holding or is there a limit by the capital of the company or by their 49% share?

senatorflyer

Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:27 pm

Blerg wrote:
Embajador3 wrote:

LH are only reliable if no one is on strike. Even if Air Italy is Qatar, who cares? I wished most airlines would be Qatar like lol

ahj2000

Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:23 am

Nice! Hope they join OW soon!
(AA would probably kick and scream unless they we’re to join the JV though)
-Andrés Juánez

XLA2008

Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:36 am

POTKC wrote:
Something many posters here are missing is that the interior seems hand-me-down because that’s exactly what it is. Air Italy’s A330s are temporary, until they get their 787s. For a look at their real interior go look at photos of the newly delivered 737 MAX...the A330s just have what Qatar left in there.

The Air Italy 737 Max is also the same colors as the A330's the only difference is that the middle seat is grey, otherwise its the same marroon from Qatar Airways. They are basically Qatar Italy.... sort of like Lufthansa Italia only its Qatar this time. Probably would have been better just calling it Qatar Italia.

Melbourne

Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:39 am

XLA2008 wrote:
POTKC wrote:

The Air Italy 737 Max is also the same colors as the A330's the only difference is that the middle seat is grey, otherwise its the same marroon from Qatar Airways. They are basically Qatar Italy.... sort of like Lufthansa Italia only its Qatar this time. Probably would have been better just calling it Qatar Italia.

Well the main difference being Qatar airways is named after the state of Qatar were Deutsche Lufthansa is the Germa carrier and
Lufthansa Italia didn't use another countries name in its title.

moa999

Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:45 am

A380MSN004 wrote:
Dummy business question :
Is there a limit of the money Qatar Airways can inject in the Holding or is there a limit by the capital of the company or by their 49% share?

Limited to equity by the amount the other 51% shareholder can tip in.
But nothing stopping them loaning money to Air Italy or the other shareholder at market rates for example

Blerg

Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:22 am

XLA2008 wrote:
POTKC wrote:

Or they could have simply merged the two into one and called it 'Qatalia.'

FatCat

Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:16 am

It is now on his way back JFK - MXP, 2 hrs late.
Recent flights were on time.
Anyway I will not book an IG flight if not with the barrell of a gun on my head...
Emirates flies the same route with the A380, daily, with fares at about € 600,- to JFK and back with two 23Kg baggage.
Had bad experiences with IG in the past. It was a full service airline with the LCC's attention to customers.

Edited: typo
Aeroplane flies high
Turns left, looks right

Casablanca

Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:35 am

If I’m not mistaken Air Italy ( a charter company) merged with Meridiana years ago- so going back to “Air Italy “ is kind of back to its original roots

Kashmon

Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:07 pm

XLA2008 wrote:
POTKC wrote:

yeah considering the political climate of Italy, Qatar Italia would really make sense..

yyz717

Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:32 pm

AirCalSNA wrote:

LOL...agree totally. :)
I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos