Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SkyflyerYYZ
Topic Author

Air Canada launches seasonal routes YYZ-KEF, YYZ-SNN, YUL-KEF, YUL-DUB

Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:19 pm

Air Canada has launched seasonal services to Shannon and Reykjavik from Toronto and Montreal. They have also launched Montreal to Dublin, and all flights are operated with 737 MAX 8 aircraft.

Source: https://airlinegeeks.com/2018/05/29/air ... perations/

clrd4t8koff

Re: Air Canada launches seasonal routes YYZ-KEF, YYZ-SNN, YUL-KEF, YUL-DUB

Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:19 am

So YYZ & YUL have 3 carriers flying to KEF?! Seems like overkill to flood the market with more seats.

FA9295

Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:24 am

clrd4t8koff wrote:
So YYZ & YUL have 3 carriers flying to KEF?! Seems like overkill to flood the market with more seats.

Kind of like DFW-KEF. Same situation on that route as well... :lol:

Noise

Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:01 am

Was there a ceremony at YUL for the launch of the DUB flight, similar to that for NRT the day before?

leyland1989

Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:14 am

clrd4t8koff wrote:

I'm more concerned about Iceland being flooded by Canadian tourists... /s

Jokes aside, since AC doesn't have the same advantage of WOW and Icelandair for connecting to Europe, these flights are intended for people seeking Iceland as their final destination.
I suppose there are still unfilled demand for such market, I'm personally taking Icelandair to Europe via KEF this coming autumn, I took away 2 seats from people looking to visit Iceland and forcing those poor souls to fly AC :roll:
Airbus:319,320,321,332,333,343,345,346,359,388
Boeing: 717,734,738,739,753,74R,742,743,744,74E,748,763,772,773,77E,77L,77W,788,789
Misc:AT5,CN1,CNJ,CR2,CR7,CR9,DH6,DH8,ER4,ERD,E70,E75,E90,M11,S20

yeginleduc

Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:43 am

How is DL doing on their routes to KEF from MSP and JFK? FI and WW in most of these cities have created a good interest in tourism to Iceland and maybe they have generated enough interest for the flights in North America?

SRQKEF

Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:55 am

YYZ/YUL-KEF also had 3 airlines last year, AC just used Rouge A319s. They've only added frequency and changed into a mainline 7M8 this year, not a new service per se.
Nothing compares to taking off in an empty 757 with full thrust!

gatibosgru

Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:04 am

Do ACs MAXs have IFE?
@DadCelo

eicvd

Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:10 am

gatibosgru wrote:
Do ACs MAXs have IFE?

Unlike their A333s......yes I’m still bitter mine, my other half & a few others screens weren’t working on a DUB-YYZ & that the whole IFE system wasn’t working on the return!
COYBIB

720B

Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:13 am

gatibosgru wrote:
Do ACs MAXs have IFE?

Yes., they do

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/hom ... 37max.html

I am booked on the YYZ-KEF on Jun 23rd (and return Jul 1st). Will report when back

clrd4t8koff

Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:07 pm

FA9295 wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:

Agreed. It’s absurd these city have 3 airlines flying to KEF when larger markets like ORD & LAX don’t even.

longhauler

Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:16 pm

I had the same thoughts last year when Rouge started YYZ/YUL-KEF. It is purely anecdotal, but every time I looked at loads they were almost full. We went fishing in Iceland last summer and had to fly Icelandair. Rouge was full on the days we wished to travel.

That AC is returning with an aircraft with 30+ more seats is a pretty good indication how well it went last summer.
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

Thenoflyzone

Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:53 pm

The launch of DUB is Montreal`s 30th non stop destination in Europe. The 31st, Bucharest, goes online in 4 days. AC alone serves 16 destinations from YUL to Europe. It used to be 3, LHR, FRA and CDG, only 9 years ago.
us Air Traffic Controllers have a good record, we haven't left one up there yet !!

whywhyzee

Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:04 pm

clrd4t8koff wrote:
FA9295 wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:

Agreed. It’s absurd these city have 3 airlines flying to KEF when larger markets like ORD & LAX don’t even.

Transatlantic capacity wise, Toronto is second only to JFK. YYZ has roughly 45% more TATL capacity than ORD and LAX. Toronto is a vastly larger market to Europe, and internationally speaking, is growing at 10% per year. It's not absurd, it's completely warranted.

Skywatcher

Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:33 pm

The European legacy carriers capacity to YYZ/YUL seems to have stagnated over the last few years. Only the Canadian carriers (WestJet/AC/Air Transat) and the Icelandic carriers (WOW & Icelandic) seem to be growing and quite rapidly at that.

clrd4t8koff

Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:20 pm

whywhyzee wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:
FA9295 wrote:

Transatlantic capacity wise, Toronto is second only to JFK. YYZ has roughly 45% more TATL capacity than ORD and LAX. Toronto is a vastly larger market to Europe, and internationally speaking, is growing at 10% per year. It's not absurd, it's completely warranted.

Can you post a source? I'm not going to go so far as to say you're wrong, but I'm having a hard time believing YYZ with only 1 major international carrier based there has 45% more TATL capacity than ORD, which has 1 international carrier based there, another with a huge hub there, and tons of European carriers flying there is that much smaller than YYZ.

Also, I included 3 cities in my post about this being absurd. So what's absurd about YUL and DFW having 3 carriers to KEF?

TS-IOR

Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:29 pm

Also yesterday CMN switched operations from Rouge b767 to mainline Air Canada A330 six times a week. Hope either Rouge or Air Canada, most probably Rouge start TUN in 2019.

ExMilitaryEng

Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:30 pm

TS-IOR wrote:
Also yesterday CMN switched operations from Rouge b767 to mainline Air Canada A330 six times a week.

I'm just wondering (on this YUL-CMN route) how much market share AC has taken from Royal Air Maroc...

FA9295

Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:46 pm

whywhyzee wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:
FA9295 wrote:

Maybe to high-profile transatlantic destinations, such as LHR and CDG, but KEF...? No way is 3 airlines warranted.

whywhyzee

Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:30 pm

clrd4t8koff wrote:
whywhyzee wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:

Can you post a source? I'm not going to go so far as to say you're wrong, but I'm having a hard time believing YYZ with only 1 major international carrier based there has 45% more TATL capacity than ORD, which has 1 international carrier based there, another with a huge hub there, and tons of European carriers flying there is that much smaller than YYZ.

Also, I included 3 cities in my post about this being absurd. So what's absurd about YUL and DFW having 3 carriers to KEF?

http://www.anna.aero/2018/04/18/transat ... ort-table/

All the data is sourced from that article. It's a good read.

whywhyzee

Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:38 pm

Skywatcher wrote:
The European legacy carriers capacity to YYZ/YUL seems to have stagnated over the last few years. Only the Canadian carriers (WestJet/AC/Air Transat) and the Icelandic carriers (WOW & Icelandic) seem to be growing and quite rapidly at that.

I don't know that I agree with that. While YUL hasn't seen a ton of European carriers expand, owing to its significantly smaller size, Toronto has. This week alone, 2 new European carriers (Primera and UIA) start service, and in the past few years, others like Brussels airlines and Tap have started, and subsequently increased service levels. BA added a LGW flight this year to its 2 LHR flights, KLM has significantly upguage capacity on its 11 weekly flights, adding ~400 weekly seats compared to last year, Aer Lingus has upguaged from the A332 to A333, and the list goes on. Canadian carriers have been rapidly expanding as of late, but they haven't been the only ones. Numerically, across YYZ, YUL and YVR, there have been huge growth numbers over the past few years, and it's likely to continue.

I get that my username beckons my home, and of course I want to see it do well, and some may take that as a sign that I may be inflating numbers to improve my home airports image, but I can honestly tell you I'm not, the proof is in the pudding as it were.

mjoelnir

Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:02 pm

Coming from KEF Toronto YYZ is quite a good airport to connect further on. Connecting at the USA airports is much less comfortable. I have one employee flying via YYZ to Santiago next Saturday.
Otherwise has the increasing competition not pressured FI to decrease flights to North America. I assume it has taken away some of the growth potential. Growth at Icelandair is at this time via increasing the number of destinations.
Icelandair needs some of the bigger hubs so their passengers can connect, but it is balanced by destinations were the competition is weak.

mjoelnir

Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:04 pm

FA9295 wrote:
whywhyzee wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:

Maybe to high-profile transatlantic destinations, such as LHR and CDG, but KEF...? No way is 3 airlines warranted.

It depends on where you want to go. If you want to go to northern Europe, or for example Greenland, KEF can be good choice.

longhauler

Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:17 am

FA9295 wrote:

Clearly it is.

But don't forget, basically KEF is the final destination for only one airline, AC. Looking at the load on AC816 tomorrow, I see there are only about 20 open seats. However, while there are no outbound connections from KEF, inbound connections at YYZ are from 14 destinations in the US, another 12 destinations from Canada and even some from Latin America.

I would guess that the vast majority of KEF passengers on Icelandair and Wow are making connections to Europe.
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

YYZLGA

Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:43 am

clrd4t8koff wrote:

Airlines generally don't fly routes to salve cities' inferiority complexes. They fly routes because passengers buy tickets and fill their planes. Presumably more people are interested in vacationing in Iceland or using it to transfer to Europe than people in ORD or wherever else. In the case of DFW, I can only guess that perhaps there are fewer non-stop destinations to Europe and the strong position of AA means that prices are higher, so there is more opportunity to attract connecting passengers. That's just a guess, because I'm not particularly familiar with DFW.

Iceland is benefitting enormously from its airlines, which have really put it on the map as a destination. It's sort of too bad that Newfoundland doesn't have something similar. It's also well-positioned for connecting traffic, and its landscape is just as beautiful as Iceland's.

sixtyseven

Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:29 am

clrd4t8koff wrote:
whywhyzee wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:

I remember seeing this on another thread. YYZ had more international passengers than all North American airports after JFK. Can’t remember which one.
Stand-by for new ATIS message......

HJM

Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:43 am

Agree with longhauler. Majority of passengers coming from USA and very few are connecting in KEF. Fares seem to be very advantageous.

TS-IOR

Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:55 pm

ExMilitaryEng wrote:
TS-IOR wrote:
Also yesterday CMN switched operations from Rouge b767 to mainline Air Canada A330 six times a week.

I'm just wondering (on this YUL-CMN route) how much market share AC has taken from Royal Air Maroc...

RAM used to operate 2X during peak season including a 744, but now they seem stick to a single 744 or a mix of two 767/787 at some days or when the Jumbo goes unavailable. I think it also has to do with the bilaterals limiting number of flights, regardless to capacity, for each flag. Any extra Morrocan capacity would take from the Canadian slots after approval from the CTA. but this year Air Canada will fly 6 weekly leaving RAM the possibility to go double only one day per week, unless otherwise requested and approved. Morrocan diaspora in Quebec and beyond welcomed the arrival of a solid competitor eventhough RAM remains a better option if you need generous bagage allowance. Rouge returned to ALG as well for the second season. As per TUN it's going 4 weekly after Tunisair secured approval for an extra flight taken from the due Canadian slot, so bilaterals should be revised ASAP otherwise if a Canadian airline enter the market, Tunisair would need to reduce summer capacity, again unless requested and approved temporary.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos