Tiger119
Topic Author

ATL Approach Departure Configuration

Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:31 am

Any local ATL resident or frequent flyer tell me the break down of eastbound versus westbound approach and departure configurations at ATL? Like, 80-20 eastbound over westbound, or 60-40 eastbound over westbound? It seems like every time I drive through ATL it is eastbound approaches for 26R, 27L and 28 with departures 26L and 27R. Also, every time I have flown through ATL, approaches and departures were set up that way. But I have seen a couple videos during the daylight hours where they were approaching 8L and 9R. I'm just curious.
Flying is the second greatest thrill known to mankind, landing is the first!

CCGPV

Re: ATL Approach Departure Configuration

Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:36 am

I check fairly often and I'd say its westbound flow at least 80% of the time. I don't really have any data to back that up.
Stay curious

Cubsrule

Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:28 am

Some ATL local may be able to tell you when the taxiway around the departure end of 26R went in. Since then, west flow is more efficient and safer and is the preferred calm weather configuration. East flow is most common in IMC conditions and early mornings (redeye and South America arrivals).
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

osupoke07

Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:31 am

Tiger119 wrote:
Any local ATL resident or frequent flyer tell me the break down of eastbound versus westbound approach and departure configurations at ATL? Like, 80-20 eastbound over westbound, or 60-40 eastbound over westbound? It seems like every time I drive through ATL it is eastbound approaches for 26R, 27L and 28 with departures 26L and 27R. Also, every time I have flown through ATL, approaches and departures were set up that way. But I have seen a couple videos during the daylight hours where they were approaching 8L and 9R. I'm just curious.

Typical winds for the area move west to east. So I assume they're in westbound flow most often. If you look at the map too, https://www.google.com/maps/place/Atlan ... 84.3879824, the west side is the only side with the runway runaround (north complex) which would indicate to me that they're not in east flow enough to justify the cost of the runaround taxiway.
MD82, MD83, MD88, B717, B732, B733, B735, B737, B738, B739, B752, B763, B77W, CR2, CR7, CR9, A320, A321

ilovelamp

ATL Approach Departure Configuration

Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:39 am

Cubsrule wrote:
Some ATL local may be able to tell you when the taxiway around the departure end of 26R went in. Since then, west flow is more efficient and safer and is the preferred calm weather configuration. East flow is most common in IMC conditions and early mornings (redeye and South America arrivals).

The “Victor Loop” sends traffic around the departure end of 26L. It used just as much during east flows landing on 8L.

In the next year or two they should start on the “Papa Loop” which will do the same thing around the departure end of 27R for the south complex.

Low pressure systems tend to influence the East flow. My estimation is 70/30 west/east.

GoSteelers

Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:02 pm

For full efficiency, the preferred flow is east. The standard arrival and departure rates show that. As stated above, the victor loop is used for east arrivals. It’s just a longer taxi. On the center complex, in east flow, the departures on 9L are usually from M2. Therefore the current Papa loop is used. The arrivals from 9R make a westbound turn on taxiway November to go back around the west end and cross 9L at Papa while the departures don’t stop. The 10 arrivals are sequenced in the flow at N2 taxiway after crossing 9R at R3. On a west flow, all the 28 and 27L arrivals have to cross the departure runway. Hence why east is more efficient.

As stated above, the end around taxiway project for the center complex has started. And it will become more advanced this fall. Due to grading, a couple taxiways are going to close. And it’s going to be the “Whiskey Loop” when it’s complete

As far as east vs west flow; the last time I saw the number it’s actually pretty close to 50/50. West was slightly more but not above 60 percent.

GoSteelers

Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:11 pm

Cubsrule wrote:

Wind permitting, east flow is preferred in low IFR because the minimums are lower landing east. Runway 9R has the most capability. Not one flow is safer than the other; but as I stated, east will cut down the number of runway crossings immensely because of the current “Papa loop”.

And not to get too detailed, but there is something we call the “southwest override”. And nothing to do with the airline. Generally, even with light east winds on the surface, there is a wind under 10000ft that is out of the west or and southwest. Therefore, the final traffic moves quite fast until they decend to 2000-ish feet and then they hit the headwind. It creates compression on the final but it allows the approach controller to pack them in.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos