infinit
Topic Author

SQ to start LAX non-stop; considering additional US city

Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:55 am

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/ ... to-fly-non

Facts based on the Straits Times article:
- LAX will be SQ's 2nd US non-stop destination with the 350 ULR variant
- It is unclear if their 1-stop options via Tokyo an Seoul will remain
- SQ is considering a 3rd US destination (CEO Goh specifically mentions US and not North America)

jubguy3

Re: SQ to start LAX non-stop; considering additional US city

Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:59 am

Would have expected Toronto, but maybe Seattle? Maybe it is referring to another one stop destination, I could see something like SIN-(CPH/ARN/MUC)-ORD

c933103

Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:18 am

Then probably not YYZ/YUL/GRU/SCL/EZE
Peace cannot counter violence when violence are being used by the powerful without mercy. #HongKong
But there is one possible exception. That is if the world could come together and make those who use violence lose their power. #China

LAX772LR

Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:20 am

infinit wrote:

Everything else I've seen says that NRT stays and ICN goes; not sure why this one is reporting differently.
Last edited by LAX772LR on Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

77H

Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:25 am

jubguy3 wrote:
Would have expected Toronto, but maybe Seattle? Maybe it is referring to another one stop destination, I could see something like SIN-(CPH/ARN/MUC)-ORD

My understanding is that SQ already operates to IAH/LAX/SFO with EWR pending. SFO is currently operated by a nonstop and a 1-stop with IAH and LAX both 1-stop. EWR and LAX are pending pending nonstop, which means another destination would either be the 4th nonstop or the 5th US destination.

77H

mdavies06

Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:28 am

One point to consider is where in the US they believe they can fly the A350-900ULR to that will be served without Y already today. Is SQ willing to launch a brand new city without selling Y class on its own metal - in this case it will be new strategy for SQ. If not, then it will be only SFO or IAH to choose from. I don't think it is totally out of the question to use it on SFO at least initially if they are being conservative.

c933103

Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:34 am

LAX772LR wrote:
infinit wrote:

Everything else I've seen says that NRT stays and ICN goes; not sure why this one is reporting differently.

Those are rumors and this is something officially said in IATA AGM, so they probably won't want to say it this way until they're 100% certain
Peace cannot counter violence when violence are being used by the powerful without mercy. #HongKong
But there is one possible exception. That is if the world could come together and make those who use violence lose their power. #China

blrsea

Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:38 am

SEA is within range of regual A350-900, so I doubt they will use ULR version if they decide to serve SEA. Toronto might be the other one. If I understand right, there are restrictions with Singapore-Canada bilateral for 5th freedom routes, so they might decide to have a direct non-stop flight to YYZ

EightyFour

Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:57 am

jubguy3 wrote:

In the article Mr Goh did specifically say "more non stops", so no additional one stops. If SIN-SEA is within the range of a normal 359, it doesn't mean that the ULR won't be sent outside of the US, like to GRU. But it seems their focus is on the US.

calt03

Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:05 am

My prediction:

All non stop services go premium heavy.
One stopper/two stopper services downgraded to Scoot

Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:10 am

Wasn't this announced a while ago?

george77300

Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:04 am

77H wrote:
jubguy3 wrote:

My understanding is that SQ already operates to IAH/LAX/SFO with EWR pending. SFO is currently operated by a nonstop and a 1-stop with IAH and LAX both 1-stop. EWR and LAX are pending pending nonstop, which means another destination would either be the 4th nonstop or the 5th US destination.

77H

Correct but the article said 3rd nonstop WITH A350ULR. In which case won’t be Seattle because that’s closer than SFO so would be a standard A350. More likely Chicago. Maybe?

LAX772LR

Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:36 am

calt03 wrote:
One stopper/two stopper services downgraded to Scoot

Sincerely doubt that they downgrade the SFO-HKG, LAX-NRT, and JFK-FRA flights to Scoot, as they've historically done well even when the previous nonstops operated (or in the case of SFO, since 2016 with the current standard A350).

Wouldn't be surprised to see LAX-ICN go or be downgraded though.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

mmo

Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:08 am

SIN-HKG-SFO will certainly stay as that captures a lot of leisure traffic. LAX-NRT will also stay as that too captures quite a bit of traffic from NRT. I would be willing to bet ICN also stays as SQ does pretty well on that route. As for Scoot flying them, I doubt it. There is a fair amount of belly cargo and Scoot isn't set up to handle that operation.
If we weren't all crazy we'd all go insane!

aeropix

Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:27 am

blrsea wrote:
they might decide to have a direct non-stop flight to YYZ

That's covering all the bases! So do you think it will be direct, or will it be non-stop?

ap305

Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:36 am

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... ul-449158/

“The A350-900 seems to be doing well,” said Goh. “We will probably keep part of that operation on. Whether or not we will add more is something that will be under review.”

Reading between the lines, it looks as though the 777w one stopper to sfo may get dropped in favor of a ulr non stopper with the standard a359 non stop continuing alongside. Difficult to say as the CEO is being quite cagey- very wisely so.
Racing, competing, is in my blood. It's part of me, it's part of my life; I've been doing it all my life. And it stands up before anything else- Ayrton Senna

avi8tir

Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:53 am

Could IAH become nonstop? I have colleagues that travel IAH-MAN (first leg of IAH-MAN-SIN) on a regular basis and they say its always half full.
*Long live the Widget*

Kashmon

Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:09 pm

about time they expanded
in Just under a decade Cathay has overtaken SQ in both network and frequency of long haul flights to Europe and North America.....

SQ is a much stronger brand they should be able to overtake the conservative cathay very soon

DobboDobbo

Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:16 pm

avi8tir wrote:
Could IAH become nonstop? I have colleagues that travel IAH-MAN (first leg of IAH-MAN-SIN) on a regular basis and they say its always half full.

Two points:

1 - "half full" is not what the stats say (yield is another question - we won't know the answer to that).

2 - if what your colleagues say is true, that is not an argument to go nonstop.

jetmatt777

Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:36 pm

I think they would do well with XNA.
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy

wedgetail737

Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:45 pm

Although SQ has a codeshare agreement with AS, I would be surprised if SEA is a consideration. Also, pretty much any mention of possible airline service on this forum has yet to be real...it seems.

Vladex

Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:07 pm

The only desirable destinations reachable from Singapore are Malaysia and Indonesia so where are the passengers coming from...
Australia , China and India are better reachable by any other base.

LAXdude1023

Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:07 pm

avi8tir wrote:

Considering that the flight has to share IAH-MAN/SIN and MAN-SIN traffic, if the airline sells a lot of MAN-SIN seats they couldn't very well sell many IAH-SIN seats on any particular flight. That leaves only IAH-MAN.
"I dance and laugh among the rotten"

olddominion727

Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:28 pm

I think it would either be, IAH, ORD or YYZ

danj555

Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:32 pm

mdavies06 wrote:
One point to consider is where in the US they believe they can fly the A350-900ULR to that will be served without Y already today. Is SQ willing to launch a brand new city without selling Y class on its own metal - in this case it will be new strategy for SQ. If not, then it will be only SFO or IAH to choose from. I don't think it is totally out of the question to use it on SFO at least initially if they are being conservative.

I see relying on the ULR is out of the question. They have only 7. Considering that a minimum of 4 planes need to be in the air at any given time for 2 daily nonstops at 2 destinations, I don't see how they can add a third using the ULR.

nmdrdh787

Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:47 pm

As I mentioned in the previous thread, ORD is well within range of the ULR, but I have a feeling it could be IAH going nonstop.

airbazar

Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:50 pm

george77300 wrote:
77H wrote:
jubguy3 wrote:

77H

Correct but the article said 3rd nonstop WITH A350ULR. In which case won’t be Seattle because that’s closer than SFO so would be a standard A350. More likely Chicago. Maybe?

So? The ULR is being used just as much for it's seating configuration as its range. Any city capable of filling 160 premium seats to/from SIN at least 5x/week should be in play.
I would like to see them go back to picking 5th freedom routes with the LR. For example: SIN-HKG-MIA or SIN-NRT-MIA.

aemoreira1981

Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:24 pm

I'm tempted to think IAH because there is a strong business community there. IAH would retain its 1-stop service as well. DFW sounds intriguing, because both the DFW Metroplex and Houston-The Woodlands have a lot of major companies and Dell Computer is about halfway between both airports, with Singapore having high tech as well (Creative is headquartered in Singapore). I would say a tossup between IAH and DFW. This would be 3x weekly since 3 planes are needed for EWR and 2 planes for LAX, with 1 spare (if LAX gets the ULR).

LAXdude1023

Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:08 pm

airbazar wrote:
george77300 wrote:
77H wrote:

77H

So? The ULR is being used just as much for it's seating configuration as its range. Any city capable of filling 160 premium seats to/from SIN at least 5x/week should be in play.
I would like to see them go back to picking 5th freedom routes with the LR. For example: SIN-HKG-MIA or SIN-NRT-MIA.

I doubt it. There is no way a relatively conservative carrier like SQ would become the first Asian carrier to serve MIA.

If MIA-Asia is going to work, its going to have to be on a OneWorld carrier or not at all.

LAXdude1023

Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:11 pm

aemoreira1981 wrote:
I'm tempted to think IAH because there is a strong business community there. IAH would retain its 1-stop service as well. DFW sounds intriguing, because both the DFW Metroplex and Houston-The Woodlands have a lot of major companies and Dell Computer is about halfway between both airports, with Singapore having high tech as well (Creative is headquartered in Singapore). I would say a tossup between IAH and DFW. This would be 3x weekly since 3 planes are needed for EWR and 2 planes for LAX, with 1 spare (if LAX gets the ULR).

As a Houston resident, I honestly hope not. The IAH-MAN flight is a huge draw for oil traffic to/from Scotland. The FlyBe connection makes it so easy to avoid LHR. That leg is very popular among the business community in Houston.

FA9295

Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:20 pm

I think SIN-SEA would be a fairly high contestant. On an unrelated note, I also know that PR had also been considering SEA (they likely still are) at one point as well.

DaufuskieGuy

Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:37 pm

no one suggesting YVR? My money would be on ORD for the obvious reasons though

george77300

Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:03 pm

DaufuskieGuy wrote:
no one suggesting YVR? My money would be on ORD for the obvious reasons though

US was specified not Norh America. That discounts YVr for the time being.

airbazar

Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:50 pm

LAXdude1023 wrote:
There is no way a relatively conservative carrier like SQ would become the first Asian carrier to serve MIA.

If MIA-Asia is going to work, its going to have to be on a OneWorld carrier or not at all.

SQ is not a conservative airline. SQ has always been at the forefront of the industry looking for growth opportunities where they can. They have made their name thru the 5th freedom business. SQ1 is SFO-HKG-SIN. I don't think there are many airlines that use the flagship 01 flight number for a 5th freedom route. SQ is an established carrier in Hong Kong and HKG-MIA as an O&D route without competition, I think would do really well. And with so much premium demand between SIN and HKG, repositioning the aircraft to HKG might not be much of a problem. All of the above is true regarding NRT.

LAXdude1023

Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:54 pm

airbazar wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:
There is no way a relatively conservative carrier like SQ would become the first Asian carrier to serve MIA.

SQ is not a conservative airline. SQ has always been at the forefront of the industry looking for growth opportunities where they can. They have made their name thru the 5th freedom business. SQ1 is SFO-HKG-SIN. I don't think there are many airlines that use the flagship 01 flight number for a 5th freedom route. SQ is an established carrier in Hong Kong and HKG-MIA as an O&D route without competition, I think would do really well. And with so much premium demand between SIN and HKG, repositioning the aircraft to HKG might not be much of a problem. All of the above is true regarding NRT.

Thats not the case for MIA-HKG. SFO-HKG is almost 500 PDEW, MIA-HKG is closer to 30. Yes, thanks to Swire there is a premium component to MIA-HKG but comparing SFO-HKG to MIA-HKG is crazy.

The fact they rely so heavily on 5th freedom routes makes them more conservative, not less. HKG-SFO and ICN-LAX are much, much larger than SIN-SFO/LAX.

jetero

Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:56 pm

DobboDobbo wrote:
avi8tir wrote:

Two points:

1 - "half full" is not what the stats say (yield is another question - we won't know the answer to that).

IAH loads

Jan 54.4
Feb 47.7
Mar 54.2
Apr 45.7
May 57.8
Jun 82.3
Jul 82.9
Aug 68.9
Sep 45.7
Oct 49.2
Nov 47.0
Dec 59.1

Jan 54.4
Feb 38.1
Mar 41.0
Apr 38.3
May 53.2
Jun 69.8
Jul 76.9
Aug 65.8
Sep 42.2
Oct 40.6 DME stop switches to MAN
Nov 42.0
Dec 55.1

Jan 57.1 278-seat 77W replaced with 253-seat 359 midmonth
Feb 52.5
Mar 64.4
Apr 69.8
May 71.4
Jun 84.0
Jul 85.9
Aug 76.0
Sep 60.7
Oct 65.2
Nov 70.3

jetero

Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:08 pm

DobboDobbo wrote:
jetero wrote:
DobboDobbo wrote:

Two points:

IAH loads

Jan 54.4
Feb 47.7
Mar 54.2
Apr 45.7
May 57.8
Jun 82.3
Jul 82.9
Aug 68.9
Sep 45.7
Oct 49.2
Nov 47.0
Dec 59.1

Jan 54.4
Feb 38.1
Mar 41.0
Apr 38.3
May 53.2
Jun 69.8
Jul 76.9
Aug 65.8
Sep 42.2
Nov 42.0
Dec 55.1

Feb 52.5
Mar 64.4
Apr 69.8
May 71.4
Jun 84.0
Jul 85.9
Aug 76.0
Sep 60.7
Oct 65.2
Nov 70.3

Thanks - doesn't look too wrong, was this based on the IAH site or the CAA stats in the UK? I'll try and dig out the most recent ones.

It's worth remembering the storms last September which caused damage to large parts of Houston. I'll try and dig out later but am short of time ATM.

US DoT T100

DobboDobbo

Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:08 pm

jetero wrote:
DobboDobbo wrote:
avi8tir wrote:

Two points:

IAH loads

Jan 54.4
Feb 47.7
Mar 54.2
Apr 45.7
May 57.8
Jun 82.3
Jul 82.9
Aug 68.9
Sep 45.7
Oct 49.2
Nov 47.0
Dec 59.1

Jan 54.4
Feb 38.1
Mar 41.0
Apr 38.3
May 53.2
Jun 69.8
Jul 76.9
Aug 65.8
Sep 42.2
Nov 42.0
Dec 55.1

Feb 52.5
Mar 64.4
Apr 69.8
May 71.4
Jun 84.0
Jul 85.9
Aug 76.0
Sep 60.7
Oct 65.2
Nov 70.3

Thanks - doesn't look too wrong, was this based on the IAH site or the CAA stats in the UK? I'll try and dig out the most recent ones.

It's worth remembering the storms last September which caused damage to large parts of Houston. I'll try and dig out later but am short of time ATM.

manny

Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:17 pm

Please select DEN.

AntonioMartin

Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:18 pm

Xing my fingers 4 PHX but its probably gonna b SEA!

jetero

Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:21 pm

LAXdude1023 wrote:
manny wrote:
Please select DEN.

With a premium heavy aircraft?

What can I say? DEN's on a real roll this week . . .

LAXdude1023

Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:25 pm

manny wrote:
Please select DEN.

With a premium heavy aircraft?

babastud

Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:03 pm

I doubt it's going to be IAH or SEA, sorry but the demand is just not their for non-stop. Sea does not really have the demand or the need it as timing/routing wise a connection via east Asia works out almost better. Singapore is a Financial hub and maintains close ties with California/New York. The one possibility could be ORD or Toronto?

LAXdude1023

Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:05 pm

babastud wrote:
I doubt it's going to be IAH or SEA, sorry but the demand is just not their for non-stop. Sea does not really have the demand or the need it as timing/routing wise a connection via east Asia works out almost better. Singapore is a Financial hub and maintains close ties with California/New York. The one possibility could be ORD or Toronto?

IAH-SIN is a larger market than ORD-SIN. You cannot say the market is there for ORD but not IAH if IAH is larger.

IAH-SIN is a massive marine/oil market. Why do you think SQ flies to IAH as it is?

babastud

Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:23 pm

LAXdude1023 wrote:
babastud wrote:

IAH-SIN is a larger market than ORD-SIN. You cannot say the market is there for ORD but not IAH if IAH is larger.

IAH-SIN is a massive marine/oil market. Why do you think SQ flies to IAH as it is?

Your correct and I agree that IAH-SIN is larger then ORD. However, the current load factor to IAH remains pretty low and therefore may not justify a non-stop? This was my point. Granted maybe a premium only 359UlR could change that? But also maybe a non-stop would tap into the Premium ORD market also? I would say SFO, but that would be two non-stops, plus a 77W via HKG + UA for 4 a day, and that seems excessive even for that market.

irishpower

Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:38 pm

Aside from SEA, ORD and DEN..

What about IAD (1 stop)?

DaufuskieGuy

Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:09 pm

LAXdude1023 wrote:
babastud wrote:

i thought i read most pax disembark/embark in MAN, which is not surprising given that this flight competes with IAH TPE/NRT/LAX/SFO/LHR/CDG/FRA SIN

zakuivcustom

Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:15 pm

LAXdude1023 wrote:
airbazar wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:

Thats not the case for MIA-HKG. SFO-HKG is almost 500 PDEW, MIA-HKG is closer to 30. Yes, thanks to Swire there is a premium component to MIA-HKG but comparing SFO-HKG to MIA-HKG is crazy.

The fact they rely so heavily on 5th freedom routes makes them more conservative, not less. HKG-SFO and ICN-LAX are much, much larger than SIN-SFO/LAX.

If Swire (Properties) premium demand is that much, its sister company CX would have started that route by now :white: . And you really think Swire (CX) is going to give a corporate contract to their perceived archrival?

Also, SQ is simply not going to waste limited resources (They will only have 7x A359ULR) on a route that's not in high demand.

I personally think it's ORD (Original guess was YYZ, but that was before it was specially stated as a "US city"). IAH already have the one-stop, which I would say is enough to fulfill the demand.
Free Hong Kong! Free China!

LAXdude1023

Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:22 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:
airbazar wrote:

If Swire (Properties) premium demand is that much, its sister company CX would have started that route by now :white: . And you really think Swire (CX) is going to give a corporate contract to their perceived archrival?

Also, SQ is simply not going to waste limited resources (They will only have 7x A359ULR) on a route that's not in high demand.

I personally think it's ORD (Original guess was YYZ, but that was before it was specially stated as a "US city"). IAH already have the one-stop, which I would say is enough to fulfill the demand.

Right, thats my point. SQ and MIA is a non-starter.

David_itl

Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:39 pm

DobboDobbo wrote:

Sounded like a cue for me to throw up a simplified table. I've used the US DOT T-100 stats and the CAA stats to combine into this for the period January to November 2017.

The US DOT includes both IAH-SIN and IAH-MAN passengers in their totals, whereas the CAA (helpfully) splits into the individual sectors out of MAN, On that basis, it seems reasonable to take MAN-IAH (and return) out of the equation when looking at the prospects for any IAH-SIN non-stop. Looks a bit unlikely to me.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos