CrawleyBen
Topic Author

Primera Air Birmingham (UK) transatlantic flights axed for 2018

Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:09 am

Primera Air reported to have axed transatlantic flights from Birmingham to the USA & Canada for 2018 due to problems with delivery of new aircraft according to the article below (see link). They will look to commence ops in 2019 when the new planes are scheduled for delivery.

http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/articles/ ... tic-routes

Ben

Eurohub

Re: Primera Air Birmingham (UK) transatlantic flights axed for 2018

Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:54 pm

Ouch, my brother-in-law and his wife used the service only last week, albeit on National's B752.

Having gone to the trouble of marketing the service and having been open for bookings for many months now, one wonders whether bookings are really all that great. Assuming they were, you would assume they could maintain a lease agreement with National (or a host of other potential lessors) and maintain the service.

Does anyone have any insight into forward bookings?
Forget A vs B - Give me E or BAe any day of the week!

BHXRunway15

Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:10 pm

Eurohub

The BHX press release states loads have been around 70% but nothing concrete known about forward bookings https://www.birminghamairport.co.uk/media-information/news/2018/06/primera-air-to-suspend-transatlantic-services-from-birmingham/ . The fares on Toronto were high for most of the summer and that service had not even started and it didn't appear to be deliberate to stop people booking.

Newark seat-maps averaged around 50 taken with a high of around 80 but these of course are only purchased seats but it will be interesting to see how these translate to actual pax flown when the CAA publish the actuals..

Last Saturday had 20 seats taken and that was the lowest I noted and this was the day the Stansted Newark pax (around 115) were coached to BHX when the flights were combined.

The lack of notice is pretty shocking but the fact BHX was chosen over Stansted and CDG clearly speaks for itself.

As a BHX local and I like to think realistic supporter of new routes I believe that this will harm BHX's credibility in the short-term as this is another failed westbound operation and there was an uneasy feeling by many locals when the National 757 was chosen to start Newark and especially after Boston was dropped before it started.

Toronto I am sure will be back as a summer only service by another airline but New York will be a harder one to ressurect having gone through BA, AA, UA and ignored by Norwegian.

spinkid

Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:27 pm

If they are looking to build brand recognition that is a challenge by having to wet lease from a variety of carriers to cover your routes. Passengers won't have a consistent product to want to come back to in the future.

jmc757

Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:27 pm

spinkid wrote:
If they are looking to build brand recognition that is a challenge by having to wet lease from a variety of carriers to cover your routes. Passengers won't have a consistent product to want to come back to in the future.

Primera have ruined their brand in the Birmingham area (and further afield). From launching Boston, New York, Toronto to great press coverage, they followed up with some European sun routes. They then:

- Cancelled Boston altogether
- Slashed Newark schedule from daily to 4 weekly
- Cancelled a number of European sun flights in the first weeks, at very short notice (2 weeks)
- Started Newark on subleased equipment
- Cancelled the entire transatlantic operation at very short notice (2 weeks)

I don’t think anyone who’s had anything to do with Primera at BHX will be looking to return to the brand. The brand is trashed... a pretty good achievement considering it was unknown in the UK 1 year ago. The Stansted launch was a complete shambles too.

I doubt they’ll be back at BHX at all next year. Who’d want to book with them!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos