readytotaxi
Topic Author

"Only a man can run an airline."

Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:25 pm

Akbar Al Baker, International Air Transport Association chair and chief executive of Qatar Airways, said his job could only be done by a man.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44369163

And the theme of the IATA meeting was improving diversity.
Open mouth and put foot in it !
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

Amsterdam

Re: "Only a man can run an airline."

Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:33 pm

His is talking about HIS job at qatar airways.

In this specific case he might be right. A women there between all male arabs in a arab country might not be workable for a woman.

Its easy to say from behind your computer that its nonsense but reality is different.

Your quote as the title of this topic is not in the link in the text. Have you made it up yourself?

trijetsonly

Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:49 pm

According to German newspaper he also states that women in aviation are still good for cabin service and representing the airline during customer events...
Happy Landings

RamblinMan

He's probably right. A woman would take one look at the immense complexity and historically low margins involved, and conclude that the capital would be better invested elsewhere.

chepos

Amsterdam wrote:

In this specific case he might be right. A women there between all male arabs in a arab country might not be workable for a woman.

Its easy to say from behind your computer that its nonsense but reality is different.

Your quote as the title of this topic is not in the link in the text.

KU had a female CEO, they are an airline from a conservative ME country. The comments from AAB are unnecessary.
Fly the Flag!!!!

Amsterdam

Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:53 pm

chepos wrote:
Amsterdam wrote:

KU had a female CEO, they are an airline from a conservative ME country. The comments from AAB are unnecessary.

We dont know the situation at qatar airways. We dont know how it differs from other airlines in that region etc.

We factually dont have that information.
But hey go ahead and call it what you want.

Antarius

Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:09 pm

RamblinMan wrote:
He's probably right. A woman would take one look at the immense complexity and historically low margins involved, and conclude that the capital would be better invested elsewhere.

:rotfl:
19:SIN HKG NRT DFW IAH HOU CLT LGA JFK SFO SJC EWR SNA EYW MIA BOG LAX ORD DTW OAK PVG BOS DCA IAD ATL LAS BIS CUN PHX SYD CVG PHL MAD ORY CDG SLC SJU BQN MHT YYZ STS DOH BLR KTM MFM MEX MSY BWI BNA

emiratesdriver

Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:10 pm

Amsterdam wrote:
chepos wrote:
Amsterdam wrote:

We dont know the situation at qatar airways. We dont know how it differs from other airlines in that region etc.

But we do Amsterdam, many of us in the region know virtually all the facts, you can try and dress this up or deflect all you want, AAB is a repugnant and vile little individual with little or no ability to embrace 20th century thinking let alone the 21st century. He has at various times threatened physical abuse and worse via proxy on his employees, the world would be a better place had his parents practiced more effective birth control, and yes unlike virtually everyone on this board, I’ve met the man.
Last edited by emiratesdriver on Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zakuivcustom

Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:11 pm

EightyFour wrote:
Amsterdam wrote:
chepos wrote:

Judging by the audiences reaction, and his own backpedaling, yeah, it's pretty safe to say these comments were very unnecessary.

He knows that he f**ked up most likely :white:

Maybe QR should use AAB in their newest "Wanna Get Away" ad (Wait, wrong airline :white: ).

Not even the first time AAB said something stupid, though. But he couldn't help it, and certainly not the only executive that still hold that old-school sexist view (No, not just Middle East, but also US/UK).
Free Hong Kong! Free China!

EightyFour

Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:14 pm

Amsterdam wrote:
chepos wrote:
Amsterdam wrote:

Judging by the audiences reaction, and his own backpedaling, yeah, it's pretty safe to say these comments were very unnecessary.

Amsterdam

Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:14 pm

EightyFour wrote:
Amsterdam wrote:
chepos wrote:

An audience is not right by definition.
You dont know who were in the audience and how their characters are and their beliefs and in this case specific their knowledge about qatar.

Judging others is easy and fun though.

And again
In cant find the thread title quote in the text of the link.
Is that a real quote or a fake quote?

Amsterdam

Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:17 pm

Revelation wrote:
Amsterdam wrote:

Your quote as the title of this topic is not in the link in the text. Have you made it up yourself?

I'm not sure his actual quote ("Of course it has to be led by a man, because it is a very challenging position," Mr Baker said) puts things in a better light.

Huge difference
Saying MY airline has to be led by a man or all airlines in the world.

The thread title quote seems fake

Revelation

Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:18 pm

Amsterdam wrote:

I'm not sure his actual quote ("Of course it has to be led by a man, because it is a very challenging position," Mr Baker said) puts things in a better light.

Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

MIflyer12

Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:23 pm

Revelation wrote:

No, it doesn't.

There are more than a few women CEOs and leaders who could have Baker for breakfast and crap him out before lunch. Ginni Rometty (IBM) and Christine Lagarde of the IMF come immediately to mind.

readytotaxi
Topic Author

Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:25 pm

Amsterdam wrote:
Revelation wrote:
Amsterdam wrote:

Huge difference

Did you read the article link that I posted?? Please try again.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

TC957

Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:26 pm

I reckon Carolyn McCall did a pretty good job of running easyJet.

Arion640

Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:27 pm

Funny that women and feminists scream for blood in cases such as this, but never scream for equality in other male dominated jobs like being a refuse collector, or road sweeper?
No bumps. No bangs - Concorde

xiaotung

Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:27 pm

Can somebody help me out here? Why are we not having a debate about jobs like baggage handlers which are dominated by men? I don't seem anyone complaining about that. What's the difference?

EightyFour

Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:29 pm

Amsterdam wrote:
EightyFour wrote:
Amsterdam wrote:

An audience is not right by definition.
You dont know who were in the audience and how their characters are and their beliefs and in this case specific their knowledge about qatar.

Judging others is easy and fun though.

And again
In cant find the thread title quote in the text of the link.
Is that a real quote or a fake quote?

You're a funny guy. :lol:

But you need to work on your reading comprehension.

"Of course it has to be led by a man, because it is a very challenging position," Mr Baker said.

He made the comment at IATA's annual meeting, where improving diversity at airlines was a big theme"

And then tried to backpedal:

"Mr Baker also said that he would welcome a female leader, providing he could train her up.

"It will be my pleasure to have a female CEO candidate I could then develop to become CEO after me," he told Bloomberg."

So yeah, it was a really stupid and unnecessary comment to make, given the themes of the annual meeting.

As for judiging, yeah it's pretty fair to judge people based on their comments and actions made in public. ;)

Antarius

Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:32 pm

Arion640 wrote:
Funny that women and feminists scream for blood in cases such as this, but never scream for equality in other male dominated jobs like being a refuse collector, or road sweeper?

You got that from the comments on this thread? :roll:
19:SIN HKG NRT DFW IAH HOU CLT LGA JFK SFO SJC EWR SNA EYW MIA BOG LAX ORD DTW OAK PVG BOS DCA IAD ATL LAS BIS CUN PHX SYD CVG PHL MAD ORY CDG SLC SJU BQN MHT YYZ STS DOH BLR KTM MFM MEX MSY BWI BNA

grbauc

Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:33 pm

Amsterdam wrote:
chepos wrote:
Amsterdam wrote:

No the internet loves to judge without having all the info. Using mainly are personal experiences.

Amsterdam

Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:35 pm

readytotaxi wrote:
Amsterdam wrote:
Revelation wrote:

Huge difference

Did you read the article link that I posted?? Please try again.

Yes
And that is not an quote he said himself
Read it again and you will see

DarthLobster

Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:45 pm

xiaotung wrote:
Can somebody help me out here? Why are we not having a debate about jobs like baggage handlers which are dominated by men? I don't seem anyone complaining about that. What's the difference?

The number of figures on the paycheck. That, and there are many women already working as baggage handlers and have been for some time.

Amsterdam

Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:56 pm

DarthLobster wrote:
xiaotung wrote:

The number of figures on the paycheck. That, and there are many women already working as baggage handlers and have been for some time.

Not in Amsterdam at Schiphol
Only 1 out of hundreds

I doubt “many” do that work at different airports but you seem to know that, so what airport are you talking about?

litz

Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:06 pm

Gonna be fun to watch this when - some day - a female CEO of a competing airline, runs his airline into the ground.

Might not be today, might not be tomorrow, but some day, someone is going to get sweet revenge.

NYPECO

Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:19 pm

NYPECO wrote:
Amsterdam wrote:
Revelation wrote:

Huge difference

The thread title quote is fake, but the actual quote is even worse. "Of course it has to be led by a man, because it is a very challenging position."

PatrickZ80

Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:19 pm

TC957 wrote:
I reckon Carolyn McCall did a pretty good job of running easyJet.

True, but Europe is far ahead of the middle east when it comes to men and women being equal. In Europe women are being taken serious, in the middle east they aren't. She was able to do a good job because EasyJet is a European airline. Had she been CEO of a middle east airline, I doubt she would have done as good. That has nothing to do with her leading capacities (they're fine), but with how serious she's being taken. In the middle east men don't take orders from women. In Europe they do.

Arion640

Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:44 pm

Antarius wrote:
Arion640 wrote:

Speaking the truth i'm afraid. Im all for equality but it needs to be across all professions.

LHRFlyer

Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:46 pm

Funnily enough, these comments have not been reported by some social media "analysts" who received many free flights and lavish hospitality from Qatar Airways.

DoctorVenkman

Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:50 pm

Arion640 wrote:
Antarius wrote:
Arion640 wrote:

Speaking the truth i'm afraid. Im all for equality but it needs to be across all professions.

What? No one has said that women are incapable of being ramp workers or refuse workers. If someone did say that, I'm sure you'd see a similar reaction as you see with AAB's quote. You're making up a strawman here.

DarthLobster

Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:57 pm

Amsterdam wrote:
DarthLobster wrote:
xiaotung wrote:

Only 1 out of hundreds

I doubt “many” do that work at different airports but you seem to know that, so what airport are you talking about?

Many in the United States, and I can particularly vouch for BOI, PDX, SEA, SFO, ANC, HNL, I could go on. In addition, at many regional airports ramp agents double as gate agents, and many of those (at least 30-40% and often up to half) are women.

Arion640

Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:01 pm

DoctorVenkman wrote:
Arion640 wrote:
Antarius wrote:

What? No one has said that women are incapable of being ramp workers or refuse workers. If someone did say that, I'm sure you'd see a similar reaction as you see with AAB's quote. You're making up a strawman here.

But is certainly the case in society. They cry for equality in financial services pay, they say there's not enough woman pilots, but they never say there's not enough woman sewer workers.

AntonioMartin

Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:04 pm

chepos wrote:
Amsterdam wrote:

ahh backwater men like him...que podemos hacer?????

DoctorVenkman

Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:06 pm

Arion640 wrote:
DoctorVenkman wrote:
Arion640 wrote:

But is certainly the case in society. They cry for equality in financial services pay, they say there's not enough woman pilots, but they never say there's not enough woman sewer workers.

Ok great, go rant about that somewhere else. It's irrelevant to this thread. People are upset that AAB said women are incapable of running an airline, not that there aren't enough female CEOs. Surely you can see the difference there?

Super80Fan

Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:08 pm

Well Joanna Geraghty is the President/COO of JetBlue right below Hayes, and Colleen Barrett at WN needs no introduction.

Seems though that LCC's are better at diversity than the "ole boys club" that is the US3. I think it's going to be a while before a woman holds a high position at Delta, American, or United.
RIP McDonnell Douglas
RIP US Airways

speedbird52

Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:13 pm

Arion640 wrote:

If a garbage collecting company or street sweeping contractor refused to hire women, I can guarantee you they will. Do you have any idea how much a garbage collector makes?

Flighty

Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:14 pm

Women tend to be well represented in headquarters staff at US major airlines. But they are obviously rarely CFO or CEO. AFAIK (my decade was the 2000s) women were not commonly in charge of the main "technical" aspects of the airline - IT, mechanics, revenue/planning, finance, pilots. There are plenty of woman analysts and managers in these fields, but few senior directors or VPs. So, not sure how a woman would become CEO. It will happen eventually.

TWA772LR

Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:19 pm

Isnt the CEO of Iran Air a woman?
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

flyguy84

Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:20 pm

Anyone defending this mans bigoted comments should be ashamed.
SFO

WkndWanderer

Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:20 pm

Amsterdam wrote:

It's the title of the freaking BBC article that he linked... :roll:

globetrotter94

Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:27 pm

TWA772LR wrote:

Yes. Dr. Farzaneh Sharafbafi.
Last edited by globetrotter94 on Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
6E, 9W, AF, AI, B6, BA, BI, BR, CA, DN, GA, IC, JL, KL, KU, NH, QR, SQ, TG, TK*, UA, VS

ZuluTime

Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:28 pm

So not content with the UAE countries boycotting his airline, he is now trying to get half of his remaining market to boycott his airline too. And the winner of this year’s Darwin Award for airline marketing goes to.....drum roll.....AAB!

WkndWanderer

Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:41 pm

Arion640 wrote:

Ignoring the fact that you're equating an expectation of respect and support for equality as "screaming for blood," what you're actually saying of course isn't true, there have been calls and studies for better representation in plenty of sectors and jobs where women are underrepresented, any familiarity with the women's rights movement or even 20th century trade union movements would reveal that.
Last edited by WkndWanderer on Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

strfyr51

Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:41 pm

On it's face this is BS!! A woman to Run a Major airline would also be the same woman to runa a country and we all know abour Maggie Thatcher and Angela Merkel.. In this case? It would take a pioneering woman to go without having Children or taking the "Mommy track" toward leadership.
But It's Not impossible. It just up to now hasn't been done. That Dimwit a Quatar is flat Wrong except in HIS country. He Couldn't run an airline ANYWHERE else in the world that needed to turn a profit!

Slash787

Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:46 pm

I guess the CEO and Chairperson of Kuwait Airways also used to be a women who took the step to order some new aircrafts like the B77W, A330, A350 and A320neo, she sadly resigned last year as she got no support from the Government.

Flighty

Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:05 pm

globetrotter94 wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:

Yes. Dr. Farzaneh Sharafbafi.

This is great. Therefore the Qatar exec is only saying his society is so much less advanced than Iran, it is impossible to reach parity.

B777LRF

Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:05 pm

emiratesdriver wrote:
But we do Amsterdam, many of us in the region know virtually all the facts, you can try and dress this up or deflect all you want, AAB is a repugnant and vile little individual with little or no ability to embrace 20th century thinking let alone the 21st century. He has at various times threatened physical abuse and worse via proxy on his employees, the world would be a better place had his parents practiced more effective birth control, and yes unlike virtually everyone on this board, I’ve met the man.

I too have had the displeasure of meeting the 'man', and can only agree to what emiratesdriver is saying. I know people who've worked there; it's much, much, worse than you could imagine.
Signature. You just read one.

Amsterdam

Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:13 pm

WkndWanderer wrote:
Amsterdam wrote:

It's the title of the freaking BBC article that he linked... :roll:

Yes like I said
The guy doesnt say that himself in the text, so the quote title of the article is also fake

kitplane01

Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:17 pm

Arion640 wrote:
DoctorVenkman wrote:
Arion640 wrote:

Easy question: do you realize what he said was sexist?

I’m not asking about anything else.

Amsterdam

Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:18 pm

DarthLobster wrote:
Amsterdam wrote:
DarthLobster wrote:

Only 1 out of hundreds

Many in the United States, and I can particularly vouch for BOI, PDX, SEA, SFO, ANC, HNL, I could go on. In addition, at many regional airports ramp agents double as gate agents, and many of those (at least 30-40% and often up to half) are women.

Baggage handlers you said, not ramp agents and gate agents. But hey, ok so thats a big difference with europe then, i know at least 50 european airports well and I never see female baggage handlers, I only know one at AMS.

But somehow at american airports a lot of women handle the baggage in and out of the cargo holds you say.
Remarkable...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos