kitplane01

Re: "Only a man can run an airline."

Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:19 pm

Hey admin: Can you please fix the title? That’s not what he said (but it is what he meant)

Bricktop

Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:20 pm

There are many, many, MANY women who could do his job an eff-ton better.

And 28% cheaper! ;-) I kid, I kid.

Arion640

Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:25 pm

Amsterdam wrote:
DarthLobster wrote:
Amsterdam wrote:

Not in Amsterdam at Schiphol
Only 1 out of hundreds

I doubt “many” do that work at different airports but you seem to know that, so what airport are you talking about?

Many in the United States, and I can particularly vouch for BOI, PDX, SEA, SFO, ANC, HNL, I could go on. In addition, at many regional airports ramp agents double as gate agents, and many of those (at least 30-40% and often up to half) are women.

Baggage handlers you said, not ramp agents and gate agents. But hey, ok so thats a big difference with europe then, i know at least 50 european airports well and I never see female baggage handlers, I only know one at AMS.

But somehow at american airports a lot of women handle the baggage in and out of the cargo holds you say.
Remarkable...

It's surprising how things vary by country.

My boss is a woman and i hold a lot of respect for her.
No bumps. No bangs - Concorde

Amsterdam

Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:27 pm

Arion640 wrote:
Amsterdam wrote:
DarthLobster wrote:

Many in the United States, and I can particularly vouch for BOI, PDX, SEA, SFO, ANC, HNL, I could go on. In addition, at many regional airports ramp agents double as gate agents, and many of those (at least 30-40% and often up to half) are women.

Baggage handlers you said, not ramp agents and gate agents. But hey, ok so thats a big difference with europe then, i know at least 50 european airports well and I never see female baggage handlers, I only know one at AMS.

But somehow at american airports a lot of women handle the baggage in and out of the cargo holds you say.
Remarkable...

It's surprising how things vary by country.

My boss is a woman and i hold a lot of respect for her.

I just almost cant believe that their are so many women handling baggage in and out of cargo holds at american airports but almost 0 women across whole europe.

But hey, if you american guys know this for a fact it must be true.
In the near future I will see a lot american airports so I will see it myself then I guess.

drdisque

Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:29 pm

I initially read this as being "man" meaning "human" and though "yeah, no way can robots successfully run an entire airline."

KentB27

Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:38 pm

Arion640 wrote:
Funny that women and feminists scream for blood in cases such as this, but never scream for equality in other male dominated jobs like being a refuse collector, or road sweeper?

That's because many women/feminists only want to pick and choose the bits of equality that are beneficial to them. You don't see many women begging to sign up for the draft or arguing that men shouldn't have to pay for the entire date.

WkndWanderer

Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:49 pm

KentB27 wrote:
Arion640 wrote:
Funny that women and feminists scream for blood in cases such as this, but never scream for equality in other male dominated jobs like being a refuse collector, or road sweeper?

That's because many women/feminists only want to pick and choose the bits of equality that are beneficial to them. You don't see many women begging to sign up for the draft or arguing that men shouldn't have to pay for the entire date.

There are literally dozens of organizations and coalitions just in the U.S. alone dedicated to representing women's interests and opportunities in blue collar, trades, and non-traditional employment sectors. You can certainly "see" them if you actually bother to look instead of perpetuating untrue claims about women's interest groups to cast selfish motives onto them or to impugn those who actually do stand up to call for equal opportunity.
Last edited by WkndWanderer on Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DarthLobster

Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:53 pm

Amsterdam wrote:
DarthLobster wrote:
Amsterdam wrote:

Only 1 out of hundreds

I doubt “many” do that work at different airports but you seem to know that, so what airport are you talking about?

Remarkable...

A ramp agent IS a baggage handler. Same job, different title. Stop mincing words and grasping at straws. Based on your comments throughout this thread, you’re clearly just in the mood for a pissing match. So, I’ll quit wasting my time trying to educate you on the fallacies of your self-enforced bias.

gatibosgru

Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:56 pm

Arion640 wrote:

This is just nonsense. Just because Reuters doesn't cover it doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

There's a nice episode about women not being hired as trash collectors on Parks and Recreation that might teach you a thing or two.

KentB27 wrote:
Arion640 wrote:

Oh brother :roll:
Last edited by gatibosgru on Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
@DadCelo

Amsterdam

Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:02 pm

DarthLobster wrote:
Amsterdam wrote:
DarthLobster wrote:

Remarkable...

A ramp agent IS a baggage handler. Same job, different title. Stop mincing words and grasping at straws. Based on your comments throughout this thread, you’re clearly just in the mood for a pissing match. So, I’ll quit wasting my time trying to educate you on the fallacies of your self-enforced bias.

A baggage handler where i come from is not an ramp agent, a baggage handler is not someone in charge of things.
A baggage handler is someone who does the lifting of baggage (and cargo) in and out of cargo holds.

A ramp agent at AMS, and i think whole europe, is a different job.
A ramp agent is in charge of the baggage handlers. And is the main person who coordinates everything on the ground surrounding the airplane.

Each flight has 1 ramp agent but many baggage handlers.

But I guess in the usa you call them all ramp agents. Thats what you say.
So there are many ramp agents working on 1 flight you say in the usa.

Remarkable but oh well... if you say so

DarthLobster

Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:18 pm

Amsterdam wrote:
DarthLobster wrote:
Amsterdam wrote:

Remarkable...

A baggage handler where i come from is not an ramp agent, a baggage handler is not someone in charge of things.
A baggage handler is someone who does the lifting of baggage (and cargo) in and out of cargo holds.

A ramp agent is in charge of the baggage handlers. And is the main person who coordinates everything on the ground surrounding the airplane.

Ramp agents handle baggage, manage marshaling and pushbacks, perform lav dumps and refill potable water, and drive baggage carts between aircraft and the bagwell. And usually there are 2-4 ramp agents working each flight, depending on the aircraft and station. There is no such positioned formally called “baggage handler”, it’s one job function among many of the ramp agent. The terms “ground agent”, “ground service agent”, and “ramp service agent” may also apply.

I don’t know why you’re so perplexed by this and can’t believe me. It’s rather simple.

DocLightning

Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:28 pm

Are there currently major airline CEOs (or Chairs of the Board or CFOs or COOs?) There must be, but who knows of them?

Obviously, some of the most powerful companies in the world have female CEOs, such as PepsiCo. But I'm specifically interested in major airlines.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

jackieman27

Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:04 pm

flyguy84 wrote:
Anyone defending this mans bigoted comments should be ashamed.

Agreed. This man and frankly his country & its neighbors are stuck in the early 20th century in terms of gender quality, unfortunately.

alasizon

Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:05 pm

In the US, in my opinion its more difficult for women to be middle management at airlines due to the stigma of the old boys club outside of headquarters. For me, my hub director is the only male I actually report to. His boss is a female, as are my four direct managers. Between him and myself, we are the only two males in upper management in the station and division until you get to the Senior VP.

DarthLobster wrote:
Amsterdam wrote:
DarthLobster wrote:

Ramp agents handle baggage, manage marshaling and pushbacks, perform lav dumps and refill potable water, and drive baggage carts between aircraft and the bagwell. And usually there are 2-4 ramp agents working each flight, depending on the aircraft and station. There is no such positioned formally called “baggage handler”, it’s one job function among many of the ramp agent. The terms “ground agent”, “ground service agent”, and “ramp service agent” may also apply.

I don’t know why you’re so perplexed by this and can’t believe me. It’s rather simple.

Easily 30% of the below the wing employees that fall under my supervision are female. Now if you wanted to talk about crew chiefs (team leads, lead agents, etc; take your pick of term); only about 15% of them are female but they are by far the best out of the bunch.
Manager on Duty & Tower Planner

sldispatcher

Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:18 pm

To say that there are no geopolitical differences of opinion about gender in the Middle East as some to to point to is to ignore an entire cultural history which is steadily transforming before our eyes. Seems like A.Net is getting showered with snowflake stories these days of someone offended by something other than the actual aviation part of the industry.

What I don't care for is when gender is FORCED into the situation. Don't hire someone just because of their gender to meet some quota or bias. Just pick the best qualified person for the appropriate time at the airline. Some industries are just slower to transform than others (railroads come to mind as well) because seniority and time on job to climb up through the ranks. Who cares if the CEO is male or female unless you are a SJW that is constantly triggered by such things?

Revelation

Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:42 pm

KentB27 wrote:
Arion640 wrote:

And yet lesbians have dates and it all works out, go figure...

Step away from the keyboard before you do more damage.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

Revelation

Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:44 pm

Arion640 wrote:
But is certainly the case in society. They cry for equality in financial services pay, they say there's not enough woman pilots, but they never say there's not enough woman sewer workers.

But they do say there aren't enough male diaper changers, right?

Not sure what the hell this has do to with female airline CEOs, though.

O530CarrisPT

Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:48 pm

flyguy84 wrote:

Agreed. Al Baker hit a new low with these retrograde remarks about gender equality. But, the problem is that most of the Middle East countries have limited gender equality.
Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr. (1929-1968)

RushmoreAir

Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:55 pm

DocLightning wrote:
Are there currently major airline CEOs (or Chairs of the Board or CFOs or COOs?) There must be, but who knows of them?

Obviously, some of the most powerful companies in the world have female CEOs, such as PepsiCo. But I'm specifically interested in major airlines.

Dunno how picky you want to get about "major", but here are some current examples:

B6: Joanna Geraghty, COO & President
HA: Shannon Okinaka, CFO & EVP
WN: Tammy Romo, CFO & EVP
AC: Lucie Guillemette, CCO & EVP
NW UA DL F9 CO WN LO QF FI AC MU CA EU LH LX DY B6 AA HA NZ MW HU U2 SK AF EK IB HX WS G4 AZ IG 4B

The views and opinions as expressed in this post are entirely my own and are not those of my employer, Hawaiian Airlines, Inc

RvA

Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:01 pm

Super80Fan wrote:
Well Joanna Geraghty is the President/COO of JetBlue right below Hayes, and Colleen Barrett at WN needs no introduction.

Seems though that LCC's are better at diversity than the "ole boys club" that is the US3. I think it's going to be a while before a woman holds a high position at Delta, American, or United.

Define high position. Is SVP not considered high?

Kashmon

Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:17 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
Revelation wrote:
I'm not sure his actual quote ("Of course it has to be led by a man, because it is a very challenging position," Mr Baker said) puts things in a better light.

No, it doesn't.

There are more than a few women CEOs and leaders who could have Baker for breakfast and crap him out before lunch. Ginni Rometty (IBM) and Christine Lagarde of the IMF come immediately to mind.

Lol Christine Lagarde....
really?!!!
hahahahaha

flyguy84

Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:46 pm

RushmoreAir wrote:
DocLightning wrote:

Dunno how picky you want to get about "major", but here are some current examples:

B6: Joanna Geraghty, COO & President
HA: Shannon Okinaka, CFO & EVP
WN: Tammy Romo, CFO & EVP
AC: Lucie Guillemette, CCO & EVP

Jane Garvey is the new Chairwoman of United.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.chicagot ... y,amp.html
SFO

Arion640

Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:06 pm

Revelation wrote:
Arion640 wrote:
But is certainly the case in society. They cry for equality in financial services pay, they say there's not enough woman pilots, but they never say there's not enough woman sewer workers.

But they do say there aren't enough male diaper changers, right?

Not sure what the hell this has do to with female airline CEOs, though.

Can't say I know what you mean by that to be honest. What is a male diaper changer? Do you mean a dad changing its childs nappy?
No bumps. No bangs - Concorde

maverick4002

Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:11 pm

Well I figure some people totally agree with him based on some of the comments in this thread..

Amsterdam

Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:47 pm

maverick4002 wrote:
Well I figure some people totally agree with him based on some of the comments in this thread..

I dont agree with anything
As I said in my first post
If he is talking about specifically HIS own job he might be right

But if he is talking about airline CEOs in general then that would be nonsense of course

But it is still not shown to me that he was talking about the CEO position in general, thats why I said the topic title is incorrect.

FlyHappy

Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:54 pm

I don't know why I am continually surprised by these threads to find so many bigots, homophobes, antisemites, misogynists, gun nuts, xenophobes, China-haters, Indian-haters, US-haters, Arab-haters, pilot-haters, union-haters. Just so many haters in general.

I suppose one shouldn't be at all surprised, when we see the insanity of the A vs B stuff. Its almost like its a proxy outlet for plain ol' hate.

Revelation

Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:09 am

Now AAB throws the media under the bus:

“Quite frankly I think the press took it out of context.

It was just a joke ... I apologize for it,” Al Baker told the CAPA-Centre for Aviation airlines conference in Sydney.

Ref: https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-airli ... KKCN1J134X

I guess both women and media members don't make the cut in AAB's book.
Last edited by Revelation on Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Super80Fan

Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:16 am

FlyHappy wrote:
I don't know why I am continually surprised by these threads to find so many bigots, homophobes, antisemites, misogynists, gun nuts, xenophobes, China-haters, Indian-haters, US-haters, Arab-haters, pilot-haters, union-haters. Just so many haters in general.

I suppose one shouldn't be at all surprised, when we see the insanity of the A vs B stuff. Its almost like its a proxy outlet for plain ol' hate.

I don't fall into any of those categories you mentioned but I do not like DUI Dougie or Scott Kirby if that counts.
RIP McDonnell Douglas
RIP US Airways

axiom

Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:31 am

What was said was garbage.

In true a.net fashion, the misogynists are out in full force. Last week, the racists. Next week, the homophobes.

MaverickM11

Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:41 am

Only a man can ask for a bailout for a subsidized airline :duck:
E pur si muove -Galileo

Super80Fan

Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:43 am

MaverickM11 wrote:
Only a man can ask for a bailout for a subsidized airline :duck:

Yep, Delta, United, US Airways, and American are all guilty of this, and were all led by men.
RIP McDonnell Douglas
RIP US Airways

ojjunior

Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:59 am

Slash787 wrote:
she sadly resigned last year as she got no support from the Government.

Because of... ?

FlyHappy

Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:03 am

Super80Fan wrote:
FlyHappy wrote:

I don't fall into any of those categories you mentioned but I do not like DUI Dougie or Scott Kirby if that counts.

No, that is acceptable . Hatred (literal or affected) of a singular figure is even reasonably healthy and conducive of debate... "Maggie Thatcher, good or bad for the UK?"
Michael O'Leary, Akbar Al-Bakar, Donald Trump... all blowhards and polarizing figures; love em or hate em, but lets call a spade a spade when its obvious.... in this case, AAB is an obvious male chauvinist, and fortunately for him, he is protected by a culture which will not penalize him for it (err..... appears to be the case for DT too, sadly).

Jamake1

Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:43 am

If Dagny Taggart can run Taggart Transcontinental Railroad, then a woman can run an airline...
Come fly the sun.

jetero

Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:45 am

From my read of his appearance and flair for drama, I’m sure there’s another reason he prefers to be surrounded by men.

lightsaber

Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:54 am

I cannot believe some of the defesses. His actual statement was worse. Some jokes aren't made.

O530CarrisPT wrote:
flyguy84 wrote:

Agreed. Al Baker hit a new low with these retrograde remarks about gender equality. But, the problem is that most of the Middle East countries have limited gender equality.

Extreamely limited. People wonder why certain airlines thrive. Simple, woman want the FF miles.
AAB just made certain any female with decision making power in the family, finds a reason to select another airline.

I'll be curious as to the cost...

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

DWC

Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:02 am

EightyFour wrote:
Judging by the audiences reaction, and his own backpedaling, yeah, it's pretty safe to say these comments were very unnecessary.

The whole thread was unnecessary, only the immature public will hop on it as a "sexist" comment.

Frankly, how many CEO women do we know running big airlines ?
Not saying women can't do the job, but I do think women find they have better things to do with their lives than to run a "mine's bigger than yours" business. Women prefer human contact. Human scale. Not hot air nor dry atmospheres. Something livelier. And lovelier.

Speaking of which : what is the % of female members on a-net ?
I'd be surprised if above 5%. Probably much less.
AAB just stated the situation, obvious to anyone.

FlyHappy

Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:08 am

DWC wrote:
EightyFour wrote:
Judging by the audiences reaction, and his own backpedaling, yeah, it's pretty safe to say these comments were very unnecessary.

The whole thread was unnecessary, only the immature public will hop on it as a "sexist" comment.

Not saying women can't do the job, but I do think women find they have better things to do with their lives than to run a "mine's bigger than yours" business. Women prefer human contact. Human scale. Not hot air nor dry atmospheres. Something livelier. And lovelier.

AAB, I did not know you were here with us on A.net ! Impressive!
Glad to know you are in touch with what women "want to do with their lives" , and that they want "lovely" !

Smack.My.Head.

DWC

Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:13 am

FlyHappy wrote:
AAB, I did not know you were here with us on A.net ! Impressive!
Glad to know you are in touch with what women "want to do with their lives" , and that they want "lovely" !
Smack.My.Head.

The kind of comments Trump would make :duck:
But I am not impressed, it's Psychology 101. Read.

juliuswong

Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:34 am

I think some of us do need to take a bit of chill pill and take AAB's words with grain of salt (as always). He may be correct in some aspect especially working in ME. I worked with some staff originated from ME before, their respect for ladies, I would say, is less than stellar. Gender equality is very much in some ME countries. However there have been some improvement in recent years, and we can only hope such improvement continues to come.

Someone mentioned KU CEO was lady, but she has resigned back in 2017. https://www.aviationbusinessme.com/airl ... v/1/449087
- Life is a journey, travel it well -

robsaw

Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:14 am

xiaotung wrote:
Can somebody help me out here? Why are we not having a debate about jobs like baggage handlers which are dominated by men? I don't seem anyone complaining about that. What's the difference?

You can't get help for poorly disguised rhetorical questions.

crownvic

Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:19 am

How about we just delete the whole post? I come to this forum to read about aviation and escape the twisted media on TV. Then I come here to have to hear about the #metoo stuff?

WkndWanderer

Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:30 am

crownvic wrote:
How about we just delete the whole post? I come to this forum to read about aviation and escape the twisted media on TV. Then I come here to have to hear about the #metoo stuff?

#metoo is about sexual assault and harassment... not equal career opportunity in the workplace or that a qualified human is inherently incapable of a certain job simply because of their sex or that the chair of IATA and the CEO of a major global airline with a history of serious workplace complaints stuck his foot down his throat a load of rubbish so draconian even Qatar acknowledged they were going to have to distance itself from it.

kitplane01

Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:48 am

DWC wrote:
EightyFour wrote:

So ... you realize you're outing yourself as a bigot?

Kashmon

Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:41 am

kitplane01 wrote:
DWC wrote:
EightyFour wrote:

So ... you realize you're outing yourself as a bigot?

yes the female preference for relationships and more human and empathetic roles = bigot....

i wonder why nursing and teaching is dominated by women but Sewer cleaning men...

it has to be the mythical patriarchy!! anyone else that says its natural choices differences, men and women are not the same = BIGOT!!!

Kashmon

Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:43 am

lightsaber wrote:
I cannot believe some of the defesses. His actual statement was worse. Some jokes aren't made.

O530CarrisPT wrote:
flyguy84 wrote:

Extreamely limited. People wonder why certain airlines thrive. Simple, woman want the FF miles.
AAB just made certain any female with decision making power in the family, finds a reason to select another airline.

I'll be curious as to the cost...

Lightsaber

considering the females did not react when AAB made sexist comments about his FA;s
and considering that men travel a lot more than women all over the world even in "equal " countries

AAB ain't concerned.

the media might make it appear like everyone is feminist but remember Donald Trump the ultimate misogynist won the White female vote!!!

Jetter330

Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:18 am

A slap in the face of Christina Foerster, CEO of Brussels Airlines. But then, is she really the CEO? Spohr put her there to let SN integrate into his baby...Eurowings! But AAB on the other really thinks he can say whatever he wants, he’s a real bully. Poor female QR staff

FatCat

Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:56 am

I was reading this topic and the topic about racial minorities in ATC controllers.
Makes me ask myself, but is it more important the gender, the race or other factors than the experience?
IMHO for the best effort in every role you have to choose the better employee, regardless of everything...
Don't we risk to exclude excellent persons from high skilled jobs in the name of some racial or gender equality?
Aeroplane flies high
Turns left, looks right

JannEejit

Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:20 am

Amsterdam wrote:
DarthLobster wrote:
Amsterdam wrote:

Only 1 out of hundreds

Remarkable...

I've certainly come across female baggage operatives at GLA, one of whom is a former school classmate of mine. And expanding the list of female airline CEO's, don't forget Barbara Cassani of BA offshoot loco experiment 'Go'. She even wrote a book about it.

dtw2hyd

Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:40 am

Haven't seen up this thread, here is the audio of his comments. Interestingly the question was asked by a Abu Dhabi woman reporter. Could be just a coincidence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkJAue7Fpmc

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos