tjh8402
Topic Author

737 Max 9 North America inaugural service

Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:56 pm

UA has begun service with their Max 9, the first with that version of the Max and UAs first with any Max. Not sure how to upload the photo, but a fellow avgeek friends is lucky enough to be on one of those flights from MCO To IAH and was waiting at the gate at MCO to greet the plane. I got to see her pass overhead on final and she looked good. Congrats to Boeing and UA.
Last edited by atcsundevil on Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited spelling in title

lightsaber

Re: 737 Max 9 innagural service

Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:45 pm

Congrats to UA.

New engines always upgauge the optimal size of an aircraft (e.g. 732 then 733 then 738). So I'm curious how well the 739 and 737-10 will sell. I think after the CMC PIP the fraction of -8s will plummet (recall GE9X introduces CMC turbine blades for a significant fuel burn reduction).

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

ikolkyo

Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:45 pm

tjh8402 wrote:
UA has begun service with their Max 9, the first with that version of the Max and UAs first with any Max. Not sure how to upload the photo, but a fellow avgeek friends is lucky enough to be on one of those flights from MCO To IAH and was waiting at the gate at MCO to greet the plane. I got to see her pass overhead on final and she looked good. Congrats to Boeing and UA.

This isn’t the first commercial flight of the MAX 9. That happened a few months ago with Thai Lion Air.

iahcsr

Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:47 pm

Two aircraft are flying: N67501 is IAH MCO IAH FLL IAH SAN, N27503 IAH AUS IAH ANC. I believe this will remain the routings until 7502,4-6 come on line in the next few weeks. After that, four more will deliver later this year.
Working Hard, Flying Right Friendly....

FriscoHeavy

Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:59 pm

How about that. The 739MAX will be flying IAH-ANC, which can push 7 hours. Quite a remarkable airplane if you ask me. Will this quiet all the naysayers out there about how bad this plane supposedly is? No.
Whatever

tjh8402
Topic Author

Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:07 pm

ikolkyo wrote:
tjh8402 wrote:

This isn’t the first commercial flight of the MAX 9. That happened a few months ago with Thai Lion Air.

My apologies. I did not realize that. Thanks for the correction. Unfortunately too late to edit unless an admin can fix it.

BENAir01

Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:14 pm

Yeah, Thai Lion Air has already been operating the 7M9.
Why is flying so expensive? And why is flying well so much more?

lightsaber

Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:17 pm

FriscoHeavy wrote:
How about that. The 739MAX will be flying IAH-ANC, which can push 7 hours. Quite a remarkable airplane if you ask me. Will this quiet all the naysayers out there about how bad this plane supposedly is? No.

Twin minds on that.

The 739 does well on mid (few hours or less) range or from airports with long runways if a little hot (IAH) or a little high (DEN).

But the critics have a point on the poor shortfield performance and the plane need not apply for the more extreamely hot/high (but is good enough for US domestic from LAS or PHX) such as DXBs 114F in August. And the A321NEO is the benchmark.

But I do think there will be more sales, but not nearly as many -9 as -10.

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

flyingclrs727

Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:01 pm

tjh8402 wrote:
ikolkyo wrote:
tjh8402 wrote:

My apologies. I did not realize that. Thanks for the correction. Unfortunately too late to edit unless an admin can fix it.

It's still the inaugural commercial MAX 9 flight in North America.

lightsaber

Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:11 pm

flyingclrs727 wrote:
tjh8402 wrote:
ikolkyo wrote:

It's still the inaugural commercial MAX 9 flight in North America.

Added North America to thread title.

flyingclrs727

Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:40 pm

lightsaber wrote:
Congrats to UA.

New engines always upgauge the optimal size of an aircraft (e.g. 732 then 733 then 738). So I'm curious how well the 739 and 737-10 will sell. I think after the CMC PIP the fraction of -8s will plummet (recall GE9X introduces CMC turbine blades for a significant fuel burn reduction).

Lightsaber

The MAX 9 will still suffer due to it's landing gear issues that make its field performance less than optimal. If the gear for the MAX 10 were made available for the MAX 9, perhaps the MAX 9 would be better aircraft for some airlines than the MAX 8.

strfyr51

Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:26 pm

FriscoHeavy wrote:

It it can push 7 hours? What is there to SAY about it? I'm looking forward to the Max 10 !!
There will ALWAYS be somebody who doesn't like something!
That's a given, Especially Here, because not a lot of people know what they're talking about in the first place.

FlyHossD

Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:57 pm

flyingclrs727 wrote:
The MAX 9 will still suffer due to it's landing gear issues that make its field performance less than optimal. If the gear for the MAX 10 were made available for the MAX 9, perhaps the MAX 9 would be better aircraft for some airlines than the MAX 8.

Yet UA operates over 100 -900s throughout their network. I'm not denying that the -900s use a lot of runway, but it's been overstated on this board.

I suspect that the -9Max's will be much the same - lots of carping by people who don't fly them.
My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.

Revelation

Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:20 pm

flyingclrs727 wrote:

Right, but the gear for the MAX 10 isn't available today, yet the entire MAX 9 is.

Boeing deliberately chose to just make the -7/-8/-9 to avoid introducing a new fuselage length into the production line and to get product into the hands of the customers as soon as possible.

And since they had customers like UA who are quite willing to buy -9s both customer and vendor are happy, no suffering whatsoever.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

flyingclrs727

Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:20 pm

FlyHossD wrote:
flyingclrs727 wrote:

Yet UA operates over 100 -900s throughout their network. I'm not denying that the -900s use a lot of runway, but it's been overstated on this board.

I suspect that the -9Max's will be much the same - lots of carping by people who don't fly them.

I'm not carping. I'm just pointing out that it's unlikely even with engine updates for the MAX 9 to unseat the MAX 8 as the most popular version of the 737 MAX family. The MAX 8 can fly in and out of many more airports. Even UA uses the MAX 9 and 739 between airport pairs that have rather long runways. Look at IAH-ANC. ANC used to be a major passenger hub to the far east and has always had long runways. IAH was built from the beginning to handle large jets on long haul intercontinental routes. The MAX 9 is great for routes that can handle close to the capacity of a 752, already have long enough runways, but don't need the range of the 752.

FriscoHeavy

Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:03 pm

flyingclrs727 wrote:
FlyHossD wrote:
flyingclrs727 wrote:

I'm not carping. I'm just pointing out that it's unlikely even with engine updates for the MAX 9 to unseat the MAX 8 as the most popular version of the 737 MAX family. The MAX 8 can fly in and out of many more airports. Even UA uses the MAX 9 and 739 between airport pairs that have rather long runways. Look at IAH-ANC. ANC used to be a major passenger hub to the far east and has always had long runways. IAH was built from the beginning to handle large jets on long haul intercontinental routes. The MAX 9 is great for routes that can handle close to the capacity of a 752, already have long enough runways, but don't need the range of the 752.

You're only talking about maybe a handful of airports around the country where a 739ER would run into runway performance issues (and it would really apply to the A321 as well -- to a lesser degree, but still problematic). We're talking: SNA, MDW, LGA. Even these can handle the 739ER with ease when not flying across country. Aside from these, the plane flies Transcons and to HI all the time without an issue.

So yes, there are a few scenarios where you'd have limitations using them, but not many in the grand scheme of things.
Whatever

ual763

Re: 737 Max 9 North America inaugural service

Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:05 pm

I was on the inaugural flight today from IAH-MCO. As you can see from the T/O data below, the B737MAX-9 is still a dog on departure just like it’s older brother. This takeoff data makes for rather good comparisons as there was 0 wind today. We were even 30 thousand plus pounds under MTOW. But as someone else said, United uses the -900ERs at airports that can handle it. It’s never been a scheduling problem. If the runway is short, United simply sends in the -700 or -800.

From flying to the NOTAM office

CRJ900

Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:42 pm

The Thai Lion Air B737 MAX 9 has 215 seats and seem to operate from various airports in Thailand without too much ado, so the MAX 9 can't be all that bad...

With those big LEAP engines, I think the MAX 9 looks better proportioned than the MAX 8.
Come, fly the prevailing winds with me

FriscoHeavy

Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:42 pm

ual763 wrote:
I was on the inaugural flight today from IAH-MCO. As you can see from the T/O data below, the B737MAX-9 is still a dog on departure just like it’s older brother. This takeoff data makes for rather good comparisons as there was 0 wind today. We were even 30 thousand plus pounds under MTOW. But as someone else said, United uses the -900ERs at airports that can handle it. It’s never been a scheduling problem. If the runway is short, United simply sends in the -700 or -800.

Fascinating data. Would it be possible for you to obtain the data from the IAH-ANC flight?
Whatever

Newbiepilot

Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:29 am

I am glad to see the airplane entering service. There was a lot of doubt, especially from one member, about whether or not The 737-9 would ever be built let alone operated by United. In a number of threads there was speculation that the 737-9 order would be canceled in favor of A321neos.

It is interesting that United is putting the airplane on IAH-ANC right away. Is the route being relaunched because of the range of the MAX? That would have been a struggle for a 737-900ER and the 757s are configured for premium routes.

ual763

Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:30 am

FriscoHeavy wrote:
ual763 wrote:

Fascinating data. Would it be possible for you to obtain the data from the IAH-ANC flight?

Unfortunately not anytime soon
From flying to the NOTAM office

flyingclrs727

Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:04 am

Newbiepilot wrote:
I am glad to see the airplane entering service. There was a lot of doubt, especially from one member, about whether or not The 737-9 would ever be built let alone operated by United. In a number of threads there was speculation that the 737-9 order would be canceled in favor of A321neos.

It is interesting that United is putting the airplane on IAH-ANC right away. Is the route being relaunched because of the range of the MAX? That would have been a struggle for a 737-900ER and the 757s are configured for premium routes.

I'm not shocked at all. Just as the 787 was used for long haul expansion rather than replacement of 767's, the 737-9 MAX is being put on the longest domestic routes first. This puts the most fuel efficient aircraft on the routes that benefit most from the improved fuel efficiency.

axiom

Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:36 am

flyingclrs727 wrote:
Newbiepilot wrote:

I'm not shocked at all. Just as the 787 was used for long haul expansion rather than replacement of 767's, the 737-9 MAX is being put on the longest domestic routes first. This puts the most fuel efficient aircraft on the routes that benefit most from the improved fuel efficiency.

It makes sense, indeed. I feel for the good people of ANC, however. They've been MAX'd in mass. Does UA use the same terrible toilet configuration that AA uses?

Love to see this classic design get new life. Do not love the prospect of how tight the interiors have become.

mcdu

Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:12 am

ual763 wrote:

Using the reduced thrust line is not a good barometer of the performance. That is the unbalanced field length to take adavantage of reduced engine thrust and available runway.

Compare those to the MAX Thrust line and you see a relatively low set of numbers for V1,VR and V2.

You would see a similar disparity in a 777 using a very long runway also.

Need to know what you are reading and how those numbers are derived to make that judgement about it being a “dog”

sdh9

Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:27 am

mcdu wrote:
Using the reduced thrust line is not a good barometer of the performance. That is the unbalanced field length to take adavantage of reduced engine thrust and available runway.

Compare those to the MAX Thrust line and you see a relatively low set of numbers for V1,VR and V2.

Need to know what you are reading and how those numbers are derived to make that judgement about it being a “dog”

Correct. You could have easily taken off of a 7000 ft runway (like BOS 9) with that TOW. Might be flaps 15 or 25, but it’s doable. There’d be a lot less reduce, though.

hoya

Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:06 am

sdh9 wrote:
mcdu wrote:

Correct. You could have easily taken off of a 7000 ft runway (like BOS 9) with that TOW. Might be flaps 15 or 25, but it’s doable. There’d be a lot less reduce, though.

UA will operate the MAX9 out of OGG later this year, so runway performance must be sufficient if it can take off a 7000ft runway and make it to LAX.
Hoya Saxa!!

lightsaber

Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:20 am

FriscoHeavy wrote:
flyingclrs727 wrote:
FlyHossD wrote:

You're only talking about maybe a handful of airports around the country where a 739ER would run into runway performance issues (and it would really apply to the A321 as well -- to a lesser degree, but still problematic). We're talking: SNA, MDW, LGA. Even these can handle the 739ER with ease when not flying across country. Aside from these, the plane flies Transcons and to HI all the time without an issue.

So yes, there are a few scenarios where you'd have limitations using them, but not many in the grand scheme of things.

Just to expand, the few scenarios where the -9 won't work, the -8 can replace the 757. It is about profit per flight and not seats. My math says a -8 will make more profit per flight than the 757. Not as much profit as a -9, -10, or A321NEO, but I assume runway constraints.

It is like how a 77W makes more profit per flight than a 744. It is a question of the value of the added capacity vs. new design economics.

Or airlines can wait for the A320NEO with the SHARP kit. It is about making money. Yeild management also favors constrained capacity...

Lightsaber

rubiohiguey

Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:35 am

Is there any way to get a payload range chart for MAX 9? Boeing hasn't updated its airport manual for 739 MAX yet with this data. If anyone has it would it be possible to share it with me?

77H

Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:00 am

FlyHossD wrote:
flyingclrs727 wrote:

There are several notable airports they can’t use the 739 to that could benefit from the added capacity the plane offers. OGG/LIH/SNA immediately come to mind.

77H

77H

Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:07 am

hoya wrote:
sdh9 wrote:
mcdu wrote:

UA will operate the MAX9 out of OGG later this year, so runway performance must be sufficient if it can take off a 7000ft runway and make it to LAX.

I’ve seen that on the fleet utilization plan. Had to double take when I first saw it. Even more surprising is that OGG is scheduled to see the M9 before KOA which has a longer runway.

I watched a video of the 7M9 inaugural take off roll. It used most of the runway out of IAH. Hopefully UA sends the plane on proving runs before they commit it to OGG lest they find themselves blocking seats to leave the pavement.

OGG’s strong tradewinds should aid the plane in getting off the runway but what happens when winds are calm?

77H

eamondzhang

Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:19 am

lightsaber wrote:
FriscoHeavy wrote:

Twin minds on that.

The 739 does well on mid (few hours or less) range or from airports with long runways if a little hot (IAH) or a little high (DEN).

But the critics have a point on the poor shortfield performance and the plane need not apply for the more extreamely hot/high (but is good enough for US domestic from LAS or PHX) such as DXBs 114F in August. And the A321NEO is the benchmark.

Lightsaber

Not entirely related but I've heard rumours about China Eastern being unsatisfied with MAX8's (relatively) hot and high performance when operating out of KMG, while another rumour says A320neo's high altitude take-off performance is comparable with A319ceos. That could be some hints up here.

Michael

strfyr51

Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:22 am

lightsaber wrote:
FriscoHeavy wrote:

Twin minds on that.

Lightsaber

Well? United already knows that fact and will NOT oprate the aircraft from a short Runway
They have B737-700/-800's/900's A320's and A319's to operate from those airports.. Did you think they didn't have a plan?

Bjm0517

Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:52 am

CRJ900 wrote:
The Thai Lion Air B737 MAX 9 has 215 seats and seem to operate from various airports in Thailand without too much ado, so the MAX 9 can't be all that bad...

With those big LEAP engines, I think the MAX 9 looks better proportioned than the MAX 8.

The Max 9 has roughly the same performance as the 900ER in regards to runway length. Atleast most carriers that have Maxes in operation right now already have a backbone Fleet of NGs, but I think it’s runway performance for some airlines could be an issue, but the A321 has the same issues in regard to Runway Lenth. But who knows, maybe we’ll see some Max 9s out of LGA one day :half:

And I do agree with you on the sizing, it does look more proportional.

STT757

Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:57 am

Currently UA is operating 737-900ERs from LGA to both DEN and ORD, so there's potential for the Max 9.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

OneSexyL1011

Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:59 am

ual763 wrote:

It seems as if you are coming up with a conclusion based on data you do not understand here.
Its unblanaced field performance based on long runway and reduced thrust setting. Its going to take advantage of RWY 15L's 11500ft runway length in order to preserve engine use. Of course the speeds will be higher.

You need to understand how and why this data is derived and how its used. Your post is misrepresenting the true performance of the aircraft.

Too many variables are missing here

EDIT* looks like somebody beat me to it.

Okcflyer

Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:28 pm

Regarding field performance: my understanding is the APB split scimitar winglet and associated performance software updates significantly improved 900ER’s hot, high, and/or heavy performance.

In fairly normal conditions, the performance isn’t/wasn’t terrible, in fact fairly run of the mill. It’s at the bleeding edge of performance that speeds and lengths start to increase significantly. This is the area the Split’s helped out quite a bit. Following retrofits, 900ER’s became very common in Den.

Can anyone confirm this understanding?

I imagine (but don’t know) that Boeing advanced wingtip performs at least as well as the APB solution and its only in extreme cases do you need long runways.

Blockplus

Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:23 pm

The 900 (er)s biggest problem at denver is was the approach climb limit with ice accretion. United and Boeing came up with a solution that significantly reduce the penalty. Flap 5 go around.

lightsaber

Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:24 pm

strfyr51 wrote:
lightsaber wrote:
FriscoHeavy wrote:

Twin minds on that.

Lightsaber

Well? United already knows that fact and will NOT oprate the aircraft from a short Runway
They have B737-700/-800's/900's A320's and A319's to operate from those airports.. Did you think they didn't have a plan?

In no way did I imply UA doesn't have a plan. Quite the converse. The -9 has it's missions and will make good money. If the runway is long enough, it will make more profit per flight than the 757.

I just spoke of the limits. I assume most readers know UA has a diverse fleet. The MAX saves a nice amount of fuel and opens up missions others have noted.

In general my posts are too long as is!

Lightsaber

Slash787

Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:24 pm

Can someone post pictures

Varsity1

Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:35 pm

lightsaber wrote:
FriscoHeavy wrote:

Twin minds on that.

Lightsaber

DXB is at sea level. PHX and LAS are just as hot (PHX sometimes hotter) and higher elevation.

The A321 can't climb out of the high 20's/low 30's if it's heavy or ISA+anything. It's not the perfect airplane a.net believes.
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..

kgaiflyer

Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:01 pm

"Just to expand, the few scenarios where the -9 won't work, the -8 can replace the 757. It is about profit per flight and not seats. My math says a -8 will make more profit per flight than the 757. Not as much profit as a -9, -10, or" A321NEO, but I assume runway constraints"

Yet I'm amazed how a 753 can take off from DCA (7169 ft runway length) with just a short 'standing runup'.
My recent SFO nonstop from there had virtually every seat filled.

Is the 739ER underpowered?

iahcsr

Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:53 pm

UAs third Max9 should be starting service today. N37502 is only 13 hours late arriving from SKF, but should leave OT for MCO.
Working Hard, Flying Right Friendly....

FlyHossD

Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:24 pm

ual763 wrote:

It's clear that you don't understand the take off data. You should have noted the temperature used to produce those numbers - 52 Celsius (125 Fahrenheit). It's quite common for airlines to use reduced thrust take offs by selecting a temperature that's higher/hotter than the actual temperature that still permits the load to be lifted off the planned runway. WIth a long runway, the departure roll can be long, but that's not a sign of true potential performance.
My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.

FlyHossD

Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:26 pm

77H wrote:
FlyHossD wrote:

There are several notable airports they can’t use the 739 to that could benefit from the added capacity the plane offers. OGG/LIH/SNA immediately come to mind.

77H

hoya wrote:

strfyr51

Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:30 pm

BENAir01 wrote:

I thought the header said North American inaugural service?

planecane

Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:32 pm

Is it possible/likely that after the MAX 10 is certified Boeing will either roll the landing gear modifications into the MAX 9 or offer a MAX 9 extra performance version with the changes? With the way they decided to do the MAX 10, wouldn't the "improved MAX 9" just be a straight shrink of the MAX 10?

Hypothetically, how would the performance of the "improved MAX 9" compare to the MAX 8?

PlanesNTrains

Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:32 pm

strfyr51 wrote:
BENAir01 wrote:

I thought the header said North American inaugural service?

The header was changed to reflect Thai Lion Air being first.
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

UWPAviation

Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:36 pm

Does anyone know if or when ORD will see UA's MAX?

strfyr51

Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:45 pm

The assumed temp is +50 deg F higher than the actual OAT. that's pretty impressive . It's going to make for a damn long runway takeoff roll though.
It saves on engine wear but I'd rather have runway behind me and sky below me in more of a hurry than that. I was never a fan of Max Gross takeoffs even when I worked as a flight engineer.

cledaybuck

Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:51 pm

77H wrote:
hoya wrote:
sdh9 wrote:

I’ve seen that on the fleet utilization plan. Had to double take when I first saw it. Even more surprising is that OGG is scheduled to see the M9 before KOA which has a longer runway.

I watched a video of the 7M9 inaugural take off roll. It used most of the runway out of IAH. Hopefully UA sends the plane on proving runs before they commit it to OGG lest they find themselves blocking seats to leave the pavement.

OGG’s strong tradewinds should aid the plane in getting off the runway but what happens when winds are calm?

77H
I don't think anyone is anxious to add extra capacity to KOA right now.
As we celebrate mediocrity, all the boys upstairs want to see, how much you'll pay for what you used to get for free.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos