Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

BayAreaFan0
Topic Author

Level moving flight from OAK to SFO?

Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:46 pm

Hello all,

This is my first post here. I have been a huge avgeek for years and have lurked on this site for a long time. Figured I would finally start contributing.

I couldn't find any information on this anywhere so I thought I would ask here first. I had heard rumors that Level was going to move their OAK flight to SJC or SFO. I went to https://www.flylevel.com/ and now both OAK and SFO are showing as separate destinations. Looks like SFO is bookable from October 31, 2018 onwards and OAK just drops off.

Can anyone confirm the flight is moving and if so, what the reasoning behind it is?

Thank you!

grbauc

Re: Level moving flight from OAK to SFO?

Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:56 pm

Good catch and welcome to A-net. I can’t answer the question however I think it’s a great question and somebody will know I’m sure. welcome to the club officially.

WN732

Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:28 pm

First of all, Welcome to A-Net.

Second, that really stinks for OAK. OAK has been on a roll the last few years. Although, it does make some sense.

TedToToe

Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:58 pm

SFO cut IAG a deal to consolidate their services at SFO? IIRC, BA are also ceasing OAK.

ucdtim17

Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:14 pm

WN732 wrote:
First of all, Welcome to A-Net.

Second, that really stinks for OAK. OAK has been on a roll the last few years. Although, it does make some sense.

It was an odd situation to have two competitors on OAK-BCN and zero on SFO-BCN.

Not surprising at some point there'd be some pullbacks given the quick expansion from Norwegian there (and knee jerk responses from IAG). FCO, ARN, OSL, and CPH will all be suspended for winter.
Last edited by ucdtim17 on Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ucdtim17

Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:15 pm

TedToToe wrote:
SFO cut IAG a deal to consolidate their services at SFO? IIRC, BA are also ceasing OAK.

Going seasonal, supposedly. Although who knows if it really comes back in 2019.

xxcr

Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:52 pm

ucdtim17 wrote:
TedToToe wrote:

BA flies to OAK??? weird how they fly to OAK and SFO. I'd imagine SFO is better in terms of passengers and one world connections.

rutankrd

Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:02 pm

xxcr wrote:
ucdtim17 wrote:
TedToToe wrote:

BA flies to OAK??? weird how they fly to OAK and SFO. I'd imagine SFO is better in terms of passengers and one world connections.

It was started as volley across the bows of Norwegian nothing more !

ronitkadam777

Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:04 pm

BA flies to OAK, SFO and SJC! :)

xxcr wrote:
ucdtim17 wrote:
TedToToe wrote:

BayAreaFan0
Topic Author

Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:17 pm

Thanks for the welcome everyone! Looks like SFO made an official announcement about it today https://www.flysfo.com/media/press-rele ... na-flights

OAK is my home airport so I have to still wonder why the shift?

SCQ83

Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:19 pm

Maybe BA could launch LGW-SFO for S19.

ucdtim17

Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:30 pm

xxcr wrote:
ucdtim17 wrote:
TedToToe wrote:

Well, why does anyone fly to secondary airports?

dcajet

Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:00 pm

Makes sense for IAG to consolidate operations @ SFO. With BA leaving OAK at the end of the summer, it really makes no sense to keep the OAK station open for 2 weekly LEVEL flights.
Keep calm and wash your hands.

legacyins

Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:09 pm

If this is true, it will allow service to Spain year round. IB in the summer with LEVEL continuing into the Winter Season.

BoeingGuy

Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:10 pm

ucdtim17 wrote:
xxcr wrote:
ucdtim17 wrote:

Anyone flies to secondary airports because maybe they live much closer. I have family 6 miles from SJC and over 40 miles from SFO. Which would you rather fly to?

ucdtim17

Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:28 pm

BoeingGuy wrote:
ucdtim17 wrote:
xxcr wrote:

Anyone flies to secondary airports because maybe they live much closer. I have family 6 miles from SJC and over 40 miles from SFO. Which would you rather fly to?

Yes, that is the point. The implication of the original post was roughly "SFO has many more passengers and more connections, so XYZ airline should just fly there." That is always going to be true, yet there are still reasons to serve OAK or SJC.

BoeingGuy

Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:55 pm

ucdtim17 wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:
ucdtim17 wrote:

Yes, that is the point. The implication of the original post was roughly "SFO has many more passengers and more connections, so XYZ airline should just fly there." That is always going to be true, yet there are still reasons to serve OAK or SJC.

I see now. I thought you were implying it’s silly that anyone would bother to use secondary airports. I get it now.

To respond to several comments, my understanding is BA is not permanently cutting OAK, only a seasonal suspension.

bnatraveler

Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:41 am

BoeingGuy wrote:
ucdtim17 wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:

I see now. I thought you were implying it’s silly that anyone would bother to use secondary airports. I get it now.

To respond to several comments, my understanding is BA is not permanently cutting OAK, only a seasonal suspension.

I flew BA LGW-OAK on Monday, May 7. 89 passengers on the plane, business was wide open. Pretty hard to justify a 777 on that route.

EvanWSFO

Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:50 am

SCQ83 wrote:

Not going to happen. BA's OAK service was in response to Norwegian getting a long haul low fare spot in the bay area. The fact the flight is getting axed, seasonal or not seems to show OAK can only support a limited number of international routes. Level going to SFO seems natural. If there were ample gate space, Norwegian would fly to SFO as well.
I have been on this site 15 years. A unrecoverable email account led me to starting over. Those of you who call me a rookie, you may stop ok?

BoeingGuy

Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:50 am

bnatraveler wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:
ucdtim17 wrote:

I flew BA LGW-OAK on Monday, May 7. 89 passengers on the plane, business was wide open. Pretty hard to justify a 777 on that route.

I believe BA’s SJC flight does much better. Clearly OAK-LGW was meant to be a leisure route.

ucdtim17

Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:21 am

BoeingGuy wrote:
bnatraveler wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:

I believe BA’s SJC flight does much better. Clearly OAK-LGW was meant to be a leisure route.

Well it’s not exactly apples to apples. SJC is a new 3 class 787 daily to LHR, not an old 777 to LGW 3/4x weekly.

slcdeltarumd11

Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:13 am

It kind of makes sense to consolidate services. OAK has been on a roll, even if BA leaves they are still in some very good times.

AAflyguy

Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:29 am

bnatraveler wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:
ucdtim17 wrote:

And today the LGW-OAK flight had 200 inbound and nearly 250 outbound.

AAflyguy

Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:32 am

slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
It kind of makes sense to consolidate services. OAK has been on a roll, even if BA leaves they are still in some very good times.

Consolidating services with a low-cost carrier going to a high cost airport.

legacyins

Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:43 am

AAflyguy wrote:
slcdeltarumd11 wrote:

At least for the next two years, costs will be manageable. Since this is a new City pair, it falls under SFO’s subsidy program.

SCQ83

Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:41 am

EvanWSFO wrote:
SCQ83 wrote:

Not going to happen. BA's OAK service was in response to Norwegian getting a long haul low fare spot in the bay area. The fact the flight is getting axed, seasonal or not seems to show OAK can only support a limited number of international routes. Level going to SFO seems natural. If there were ample gate space, Norwegian would fly to SFO as well.

Why not. BA has a number of destinations "duplicated" from LHR at LGW, such as JFK or LAS.

For instance, they recently launched LGW-CPT. Given that somehow SFO is a leisure market for Europeans (in that sense relatively similar to Cape Town), I could see this happening.

brian415

Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:46 am

ucdtim17 wrote:

In the case of SFO, some airlines avoid it due to operational problems with onward flights. While long-haul flights are not impacted by the dreaded FLOW CONTROL, code-share partner flights, such as those to LAX, PHX, etc, can be royally F---'d up due to flow control.

strfyr51

Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:55 am

TedToToe wrote:

could it also be that American needed to support them out of SFO where they have Facilities to do so?? It's not just where you want to fly to,, But the logistics of flying there as well. OAK isn't that far from SFO but with the Largest Hangar there not open for business? How would you maintain OAK?

EdJS

Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:35 pm

BoeingGuy wrote:
ucdtim17 wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:

Yes, BA is selling the OAK flight for next April right now. I just checked.

(My first airliners.net post, so I hope I did OK.)

BayAreaFan0
Topic Author

Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:19 pm

Officially published now

LEVEL moves Oakland service to San Francisco from late-Oct 2018
Posted 8 June 2018 11:00
LEVEL at the launch of winter 2018/19 season is adjusting service at San Francisco Bay Area. From 28OCT18, existing Barcelona – Oakland service will move to Barcelona – San Francisco, with A330-200 operating twice a week.

Last flight to Oakland is scheduled on 25OCT18. Following San Francisco schedule is effective 04NOV18 – 09MAR19.

IB2621 BCN1330 – 1715SFO 332 36
IB2622 SFO1915 – 1550+1BCN 332 36

Jayafe

Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:24 pm

What will be the difference in fees between OAK and SFO?

AAflyguy

Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:55 pm

legacyins wrote:
AAflyguy wrote:
slcdeltarumd11 wrote:

At least for the next two years, costs will be manageable. Since this is a new City pair, it falls under SFO’s subsidy program.

There were significant incentives offered by OAK and accepted by LEVEL for this route. I don't think LEVEL can take even more incentives for what is essentially the same route, as it is simply shifting from one airport to another in the same market. FAA may have something to say about that if it tries to "Double Dip".

legacyins

Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:53 pm

AAflyguy wrote:
legacyins wrote:
AAflyguy wrote:

There were significant incentives offered by OAK and accepted by LEVEL for this route. I don't think LEVEL can take even more incentives for what is essentially the same route, as it is simply shifting from one airport to another in the same market. FAA may have something to say about that if it tries to "Double Dip".

Incentives are provided by the airport (City of SF)and has nothing to do with the FAA. SFO provides landing, office and a media incentive program for two years. They do hold an airline to that and if they pull out early, are required to pay it back. Most airports around the Country provide some sort of incentive packages .

Andy33

Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:11 pm

dcajet wrote:
Makes sense for IAG to consolidate operations @ SFO. With BA leaving OAK at the end of the summer, it really makes no sense to keep the OAK station open for 2 weekly LEVEL flights.

There is no OAK station in the sense you mean. All ground staff are from ground handling contractors, and the BA Station Manager is based at SFO and looks after SJC as well. IAG group airlines have years of experience in operating routes just a few days a week without unnecessary expenditure.

wedgetail737

Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:47 pm

BayAreaFan0 wrote:
Officially published now

LEVEL at the launch of winter 2018/19 season is adjusting service at San Francisco Bay Area. From 28OCT18, existing Barcelona – Oakland service will move to Barcelona – San Francisco, with A330-200 operating twice a week.

Last flight to Oakland is scheduled on 25OCT18. Following San Francisco schedule is effective 04NOV18 – 09MAR19.

That's too bad for OAK, but OAK is at its max when it comes to International capacity. Afterall, OAK really only has two international gates...and DY already has to shuffle.

wedgetail737

Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:47 pm

BayAreaFan0 wrote:
Officially published now

That's too bad for OAK, but OAK is at its max when it comes to International capacity. Afterall, OAK really only has two international gates...and DY already has to shuffle.

AAflyguy

Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:03 pm

legacyins wrote:
AAflyguy wrote:
legacyins wrote:

Incentives are provided by the airport (City of SF)and has nothing to do with the FAA. SFO provides landing, office and a media incentive program for two years. They do hold an airline to that and if they pull out early, are required to pay it back. Most airports around the Country provide some sort of incentive packages .

There are Federal guidelines concerning Air Service Incentive Programs. The FAA does have something to do with it. I'm fully aware of the fact that many airports have incentive packages, which is why there are guidelines surrounding them. https://www.faa.gov/airports/airport_co ... incentive/

ucdtim17

Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:29 pm

Press release from OAK: https://content.govdelivery.com/bulleti ... AK-1f5f168

Oakland International Experiencing Strong Summer Demand for Expanded Domestic and International Service

East Bay Airport Will Continue Soaring as it Approaches Record Level Passenger Traffic

Oakland, CA: (June 8, 2018) – On the brink of what is anticipated to be a near record summer travel period, Oakland International Airport officials remain optimistic following the announcement that one airline partner, LEVEL, will shift its twice weekly operation from the East Bay to San Francisco. LEVEL, operated by Iberia Airlines, launched its inaugural U.S. service last June with nonstop flights between the San Francisco Bay Area at OAK and Barcelona, the first-ever flights between Northern California and Spain.

OAK officials say that they are pleased to have welcomed LEVEL to the U.S. and to have assisted the carrier in establishing its new brand in the Bay Area.

Seems a little unnecessary, but whatever

BayAreaFan0
Topic Author

Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:56 pm

ucdtim17 wrote:

Oakland International Experiencing Strong Summer Demand for Expanded Domestic and International Service

East Bay Airport Will Continue Soaring as it Approaches Record Level Passenger Traffic

Oakland, CA: (June 8, 2018) – On the brink of what is anticipated to be a near record summer travel period, Oakland International Airport officials remain optimistic following the announcement that one airline partner, LEVEL, will shift its twice weekly operation from the East Bay to San Francisco. LEVEL, operated by Iberia Airlines, launched its inaugural U.S. service last June with nonstop flights between the San Francisco Bay Area at OAK and Barcelona, the first-ever flights between Northern California and Spain.

OAK officials say that they are pleased to have welcomed LEVEL to the U.S. and to have assisted the carrier in establishing its new brand in the Bay Area.

I love OAK, but that is probably the most embarrassing Press Release I have ever read.

AAflyguy

Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:57 pm

ucdtim17 wrote:

Interesting. Being an industry guy, this response makes sense. SFO made a big deal of the flight coming there and took a bit of a jab at OAK in doing so, so OAK is simply saying sad to see you go but we continue to grow. I checked the airport’s stats online and LEVEL had an 85% LF since last June, so there were plenty of Revenue pax onboard.

BayAreaFan0
Topic Author

Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:00 pm

AAflyguy wrote:
ucdtim17 wrote:

Interesting. Being an industry guy, this response makes sense. SFO made a big deal of the flight coming there and took a bit of a jab at OAK in doing so, so OAK is simply saying sad to see you go but we continue to grow. I checked the airport’s stats online and LEVEL had an 85% LF since last June, so there were plenty of Revenue pax onboard.

How has SFO made a big deal? All I could find was the press release. Haven't been able to find anything on their social media. I am interested to see what they are doing since I can't imagine this flight is that big a deal for them. Sad for my home airport OAK though

ucdtim17

Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:04 pm

It's disappointing for OAK but not a big deal one way or the other and shouldn't be worthy of a press release. Just move on. You still have a 5x weekly (2x winter) BCN flight on a much more well known airline.

AAflyguy

Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:14 pm

BayAreaFan0 wrote:
ucdtim17 wrote:

I love OAK, but that is probably the most embarrassing Press Release I have ever read.

Yeah, kinda get your point. I guess one could also look at it as addressing Iberia's decision to take LEVEL to SFO while remaining positive about all of the good things that are still happening @ OAK to keep it growing. I see both takes, yours and what I think was the airport's point. Some will get it, some won't, and most won't care one way or the other.

AAflyguy
Last edited by AAflyguy on Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BayAreaFan0
Topic Author

Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:21 pm

AAflyguy wrote:
BayAreaFan0 wrote:
ucdtim17 wrote:

Yeah, kinda get your point. I guess one could also look at it as addressing Iberia's decision to take LEVEL to SFO while remaining positive about all of the good things that are still happening @ OAK to keep it growing. I see both takes, yours and what I think was the airport's point. Some will get it, some won't, and most won't care one way or the other.

AAflyguy

I agree. I can see both sides although I think a press release for either way is kinda unnecessary

EvanWSFO

Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:35 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
EvanWSFO wrote:
SCQ83 wrote:

Why not. BA has a number of destinations "duplicated" from LHR at LGW, such as JFK or LAS.

For instance, they recently launched LGW-CPT. Given that somehow SFO is a leisure market for Europeans (in that sense relatively similar to Cape Town), I could see this happening.

During US summer season, there are six nonstops between SFO-LHR. Decent fares can be had with some planning. If OAK-LGW can't work, why would it work for SFO?
I have been on this site 15 years. A unrecoverable email account led me to starting over. Those of you who call me a rookie, you may stop ok?

dcajet

Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:32 pm

Andy33 wrote:
dcajet wrote:

There is no OAK station in the sense you mean. All ground staff are from ground handling contractors, and the BA Station Manager is based at SFO and looks after SJC as well. IAG group airlines have years of experience in operating routes just a few days a week without unnecessary expenditure.

They still have to pay the 3rd party ground staff at OAK; they won't work for free. It makes sense to consolidate ops at SFO.

AAflyguy

Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:09 pm

dcajet wrote:
Andy33 wrote:
dcajet wrote:

They still have to pay the 3rd party ground staff at OAK; they won't work for free. It makes sense to consolidate ops at SFO.

That's a valid point, for sure. They may have the same ground handler @ SFO, though costs could be based upon volume of flights, so it still may cost them more than they're paying @ SFO today to add those frequencies.

BayAreaFan0
Topic Author

Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:17 pm

AAflyguy wrote:
dcajet wrote:
Andy33 wrote:

That's a valid point, for sure. They may have the same ground handler @ SFO, though costs could be based upon volume of flights, so it still may cost them more than they're paying @ SFO today to add those frequencies.

Is IAG able to negotiate with the airport to get a discount? With 2x daily British Airways, 1x daily Aer Lingus, 3x weekly Iberia, and now Level 2x-3x weekly, are they able to get a volume discount for all that service?

dcajet

Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:58 pm

BayAreaFan0 wrote:
AAflyguy wrote:
dcajet wrote:

Is IAG able to negotiate with the airport to get a discount? With 2x daily British Airways, 1x daily Aer Lingus, 3x weekly Iberia, and now Level 2x-3x weekly, are they able to get a volume discount for all that service?

Doesn't SFO provide an incentive to new airlines to attract them? IAG could offset the higher costs of operating there if they get a break for a x time period.

EdJS

Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:07 am

EvanWSFO wrote:
SCQ83 wrote:
EvanWSFO wrote:

During US summer season, there are six nonstops between SFO-LHR. Decent fares can be had with some planning. If OAK-LGW can't work, why would it work for SFO?

BA is keeping OAK-LGW for the summer, at least for now. As I said above, they are currently selling tickets on the flight for April 2019.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos