a320fan
Topic Author

EasyJet in Birmingham

Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:16 am

Just doing some research and it appears the U2 have a tiny presence in BHX compared to other UK centric low costs, with just two routes, Belfast and Geneva. Appears they entered the market late, not starting operations until 2017 according to the flight global article I found on the topic. https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... es-215554/

U2 are a successful brand and airline, and successfully compete against FR and other low costs in many UK and EU markets. therefore I'm surprised to see such a paltry largely tokenistic presence in the UKs second largest city. The don't serve EMA either leaving them with nearly no network in the Midlands area.

Any reason not obvious to an outsider as to why U2 seems to be happy ignoring Birmingham or the Midlands, or does this area present an opportunity for growth of the airline?
Last edited by a320fan on Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
A319, A320, A321, A330-200, A350-900, A380, 737-700, 737-800, 777-200ER, 777-300, 777-300ER, 787-8, Q300, Q400

awwdabaaby

Re: EasyJet in Birmingham

Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:21 am

BHX is airport code

BHXflyinghigh

Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:29 am

EasyJet had a base a EMA a few years ago which was ultimately closed as it didn’t live up to their expectations - the story goes they cannot get the correct yield from the Midlands.

They have served BHX seasonally for quite a few years with routes to Geneva and Grenoble. Grenoble ended this winter season and won’t return but Geneva has recently been converted to year round. Belfast has been served for about two years now although that was nearly pulled after a dispute between EasyJet and BHX management - fortunately BHX stood their ground and the route continues but it seems EasyJet has no interest in serving any more destinations from BHX anytime soon.

Arion640

Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:32 am

Just one of those airports easyjet has had little interest in for good reasons. Dublin another major example.
223 319 320 321 333 346 359 388 733 73G 738 744 752 753 763 764 772 77E 773 77W 788 789 MD83 E145 E175 E195 RJ85 F70 DH8C DH8D AT75

Brexit - It’s time for global Britain.

BlueTrue

Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:39 am

Easyjet has been flying to BFS far longer than 2 years, maybe 5/6?

Channex757

Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:42 am

U2 also consider BHX to be a bit too close to LTN, their important North of London base. Bit odd really when you consider MAN and LPL coexist.

LTN also has good connections to the Midlands by road and the East Midlands by rail.

Jet2 have gone into Birmingham recently and also have a healthy EMA presence. Seems to me that EZY could indeed put more work into their Midlands operations and hopefully will do once the company splits into the UK and Austrian sides.

SotonLAX

Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:33 am

Not scientifically proven, but every time I fly from Luton I hear a large number of brummie accents

f4f3a

Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:39 am

Story goes the ema base closed was a mistake as financials didn’t include onboard sales when the decision was made. When taken into account the base was profitable .

Story goes with bhx that fees are too high when compared with yields expected .
I thought they would go into east mid when monarch collapsed . Maybe they were too pre occupied with
Tegel to take it on .
Jet 2 certainly seems to be making ground against u2 in areas where u2 once dominated .

Boeing74741R

Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:49 am

An interesting question from the OP.

What's worth bearing in mind that in addition to the Jet2 base springing up in recent years and Ryanair's presence, Flybe have a decent range of routes from BHX. So the question is where could easyJet serve from BHX that's profitable and/or unserved already?

I know Monarch served both airports, but the fact easyJet didn't move quickly to replace some of this capacity compared to other airports would suggest it's a) more lucrative elsewhere, or b) existing establish airlines such as Jet2 and Ryanair have that well covered.

I'm no expert and I'm not doubting the size of the market, but BHX is also in the unenviable position of having its catchment area overlap those of BRS, MAN, LPL, LTN, EMA and LHR, the first 4 of which easyJet already have a well-established presence. When that's taken into consideration, it may explain why easyJet may not have been prioritising BHX expansion as much when there are potentially more lucrative opportunities elsewhere. It's also probably one reason why BHX's long-haul offerings aren't as extensive as say LHR and MAN given it's more or less halfway between these two. If fees are high (and I'm not saying they are), that too may explain things.

RyanairGuru

Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:19 pm

Boeing74741R wrote:
What's worth bearing in mind that in addition to the Jet2 base springing up in recent years and Ryanair's presence, Flybe have a decent range of routes from BHX. So the question is where could easyJet serve from BHX that's profitable and/or unserved already?

U2, FR, LS and BE all coexist at MAN.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

BHXflyinghigh

Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:27 pm

Boeing74741R wrote:
An interesting question from the OP.

I could give a whole list of un/underserved routes (or even ones that could do with competition) from BHX that EasyJet could look at - for starters Edinburgh, Glasgow, Athens, Lisbon, Nice, Marseille, Seville, Valencia, Copehagen, Rome, Pisa, Venice, Milan, Marrakech....basically just look at the network from BRS!

Jerry123

Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:37 pm

I have a feeling Easyjet can't get the deal they want from BHX management. They operate a lot of city routes like AMS and CDG and it could be possible the BHX management are trying to be loyal to Flybe who do have a good operation there, also the sun routes that make up a large part of what Easyjet fly are well served by Jet2 and Ryanair.

pdp

Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:01 pm

Birmingham already has a large contingent of carriers that would eat into easyJet's market, including:

Ryanair
    Wizz Air
    Flybe
    Thomas Cook
    TUI
    Jet2
    Primera

That's a lot of competition!

[email protected]

Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:38 pm

I think it's fair to say EZY could quite easily get the costs it wants - if FR and W6, in particular, are there. It's likely they don't see adequate route opportunities.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

BHXRunway15

Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:24 pm

Jerry123 wrote:
I have a feeling Easyjet can't get the deal they want from BHX management. They operate a lot of city routes like AMS and CDG and it could be possible the BHX management are trying to be loyal to Flybe who do have a good operation there, also the sun routes that make up a large part of what Easyjet fly are well served by Jet2 and Ryanair.

I think BHX Management although changed several times over the years have learnt a harsh lesson re loyalty - see BA and Monarch as examples.

If rumours are true the first part of your reply is 100% spot on.

As others have said there are plenty of routes easyjet could fly and if there is an incumbent airline serving the route, they would give them something to serious think about such as AMS, CDG, Berlin, Milan, NCE, EDI, GLA (although while APD as it is forget the Scottish routes).

However BHX is no Manchester and easyjet could be a spoiler on some routes if they competed and they could drive away airlines. Whereas MAN get easy on CPH, MUC, HAM, KEF and LIS, BHX could never cope with competition on such routes (MAN will have 3 operators to Lisbon and BHX still none after Monarch).

Comment from another poster quoting Ryanair operate from BHX and it is true of course but I feel this is more a case that Ryanair tolerates BHX to a point and BHX tolerates FR and it doesn't take much analysis that things are far from good as the base quickly expanded to 4 aircraft and has not moved since other than 2 months last summer when the 5th arrived. To cap it all this year after the demise of Monarch they have cut seats with peak summer staying at 4 based. Also an early press release can still be viewed where up to ten based was indicated, which now seem hollow words.

Despite all the recent doom and gloom re Primera EWR & YYZ loss, Icelandair, United, Blue Air Cluj and the lack of leadership in terms of installing a new CEO it is actually not doing too bad thanks to Jet2 and TUI with passenger figures down just over 5% this year and all without Monarch.

The airfield in general has had its problems with 33 ILS still not fully operational and the flood damage to the old terminal but ad-hoc freight, GA movements and MAEL are thriving albeit some of this due to the 787 engine woes but who would have thought that BHX would have seen multiple Norwegian, Oman Air, Royal Jordanian, Virgin 787's plus one-off's such as Air Austal and LOT.

easyjet would be nice but the airport is not doing too bad with just a few flights and at present the terminal would struggle to deal with any massive surge of passengers.

jmc757

Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:14 pm

It’s a valid question and one that a lot of people have asked over the years. Initially the story was always that BHX was too expensive. That may well have been the case back in the 2000s, BHX was slow to wake up to the low cost revolution.

The easyJet EMA base was inherited from Go. Allegedly very successful for Go, but easyJet closed it eventually. It does seem strange though, the Midlands seems a huge void in easyJet bases, especially for such a dominant UK based (for now) airline.

The explosion of Jet2 at BHX says to me that it could have been easyJet, there could have been room for them in the aftermath of Monarch. Jet2’s network is basically holiday routes - easyJet are good at that market. But crucially BHX has some gaping holes in its European city network that would be perfect for easyJet - and would complement an operation to the sunshine destinations. A smaller version of their Bristol base would be perfect.

Sadly I think Monarch’s collapse was the chance for easy and BHX to come together; and again it was missed. Who knows why, easyJet had other things going on, moving the AOC to Austria, Berlin Tegel etc. BHX also had to act quickly and Jet2 were ready and waiting, along with other increases from TUI and Thomas Cook. Unfortunately though that growth is more of the same. Monarch woke up to the void in BHX city routes in their last couple of years but it was all too late for them.

As someone else said I think operating costs at BHX are less of a problem now. EasyJet have a small operation, and BHX obviously do incentivise operators like any other airport (Wizz, Ryanair, Blue Air, Primera, Vueling etc). It’s a shame but I just don’t see it anytime soon.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos