Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

sergegva
Topic Author

EasyJet passes the 300 aircraft mark

Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:34 pm

According to planespotters, there are 300 aircraft currently flying for easyJet (this excludes three BAe 146 & one A321 on a short lease and not wearing easyJet's full colors).

In terms of fleet, U2 is far behind Ryanair (445), but still comfortably ahead Norwegian (152 including long haul), Wizz Air (93) and the Airline alliance's LCCs (Vueling 111, Eurowings 110, Transavia 74).

How do you see these numbers evolving over the next 10 years? Will easyJet get closer to Ryanair, or on the contrary be joined by its competitors?

[email protected]

Re: EasyJet passes the 300 aircraft mark

Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:58 pm

Ryanair plans 200 million passengers in <10 years (from over 130 million now) and over 600 aircraft.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

holcakker

Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:06 pm

Wizz Air's fleet is 100 (incl 7 of Wizz UK) at the moment, will be 106 by the end of July.

sergegva
Topic Author

Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:29 pm

holcakker wrote:
Wizz Air's fleet is 100 (incl 7 of Wizz UK) at the moment, will be 106 by the end of July.

Correct, sorry for this mistake. Unfortunately I can't edit my first post.

Blerg

Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:30 pm

holcakker wrote:

Talking of Wizz Air, I don't know what's going on with them but their flights seem to be experiencing a lot of delays these days. Maybe it's time to increase those turnaround times?

CRJ900

Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:37 pm

300 aircraft is impressive. I find easyJet to be a bit anonymous, though, compared to FR, DY, Wizz - no scandals or naughty tactics - they're just growing quietly.

They may not need to grow the number of aircraft much if they replace A319 with 186-seat A320 and 235-seat A321 - the seat increase alone will permit volume growth.
Come, fly the prevailing winds with me

lightsaber

Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:03 am

CRJ900 wrote:
300 aircraft is impressive. I find easyJet to be a bit anonymous, though, compared to FR, DY, Wizz - no scandals or naughty tactics - they're just growing quietly.

They may not need to grow the number of aircraft much if they replace A319 with 186-seat A320 and 235-seat A321 - the seat increase alone will permit volume growth.

Yeah.. Easyjet doesn't get as much free press. MOL and decades ago (not now) SRB too.

A nice growth. Not many here predicted this 15+ years ago.

Lightsaber
7 months without TV. The best decision of my life.

juliuswong

Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:57 am

A comparison to its counterpart in South East Asia, AirAsia Group has 196 A320 as of end of Jan 2018. This year, they will take 29 aircraft delivery in 2018, both pre-loved and new (CEO and NEO). Malaysia, Thailand and India will get 7 new delivery each. Indonesia 3, The Philippines 5.

By end of 2018, they are planning to have 225 aircraft (excluding three leased to third party)

Currently they are serving more than 130 destinations across Asia Pacific.
- Life is a journey, travel it well -

Richard28

Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:52 am

holcakker wrote:

:checkmark:

OA940

Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:58 am

I'm surprised it took them this long. You'd think with their baggage policy they'd be way closer, if not ahead of FR. And I've found on quite a few routes that U2 and other LCC's have lower fares than FR. Not trying to start a debate, I love both airlines here, but it seems a tad odd.
A350/CSeries = bae

sevenair

Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:00 am

But MOL has claimed 'flights will stop' after brexit so I wonder how that will damage his aim of getting to 200m passenger by shutting off his largest and one of the most mature markets.

[email protected]

Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:05 am

Ryanair is in the process of obtaining a UK AOC, which it anticipates attaining by the end of 2018. Source: https://investor.ryanair.com/wp-content ... rpoint.pdf
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

SCQ83

Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:12 am

CRJ900 wrote:

They have always marketed themselves a bit of a "premium" low-cost. Flying from main airports like LGW, GVA or MXP probably helps. I even know today people that wouldn't fly Ryanair out of prejudices that are happy to fly with U2.

OA940 wrote:
I'm surprised it took them this long. You'd think with their baggage policy they'd be way closer, if not ahead of FR. And I've found on quite a few routes that U2 and other LCC's have lower fares than FR. Not trying to start a debate, I love both airlines here, but it seems a tad odd.

Their baggage policy is worse than Ryanair's as of today. With U2 you can only carry one item; with FR you can carry a carry-on + a small bag.

I am more surprised that easyJet is so close to Ryanair's. Probably this is because easyJet is very big in the UK (I would like to see UK VS EU % of PAX in easyJet VS Ryanair; U2 must be way more "British"). easyJet have never opened many new markets (this is changing though; now they have started opening "riskier" routes), while Ryanair have been very aggressive opening new markets where no one else dared to enter before.

[email protected]

Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:17 am

The only way to fairly compare fares is to consider average fares (including ancillaries) and their average sector length. These are all obtainable, with a simple calculation, via each airline's annual reports.

Based on 2017 and including ancillaries:

EZY: GBP£62.90 (about EUR71.70 based on an average currency exchange rate in 2017 of 1.14) on an average sector length of 1,105km (687mi)
FR: EUR54.88 on an average sector length of 770mi

So, EZY's average fare including ancillaries is 30.6% higher than FR's despite EZY's average sector length being 11% shorter. But in itself this doesn't matter as they are positioned fairly differently, and each have a different specific value proposition.

FatCat

Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:47 am

Nice growth.
I hope they will invest more on PSA, it is currently dominated by FR.
Aeroplane flies high
Turns left, looks right

armadillomaster

Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:38 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
CRJ900 wrote:

They have always marketed themselves a bit of a "premium" low-cost. Flying from main airports like LGW, GVA or MXP probably helps. I even know today people that wouldn't fly Ryanair out of prejudices that are happy to fly with U2.

OA940 wrote:

Their baggage policy is worse than Ryanair's as of today. With U2 you can only carry one item; with FR you can carry a carry-on + a small bag.

I am more surprised that easyJet is so close to Ryanair's. Probably this is because easyJet is very big in the UK (I would like to see UK VS EU % of PAX in easyJet VS Ryanair; U2 must be way more "British"). easyJet have never opened many new markets (this is changing though; now they have started opening "riskier" routes), while Ryanair have been very aggressive opening new markets where no one else dared to enter before.

We flew MAN-HER-MAN in April and we had 3 bags between two of us. 2 Hand luggage and 1 handbag. either we just got away with it or they aren't bothered?

Boeing74741R

Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:04 pm

lightsaber wrote:
CRJ900 wrote:

Yeah.. Easyjet doesn't get as much free press. MOL and decades ago (not now) SRB too.

A nice growth. Not many here predicted this 15+ years ago.

Lightsaber

easyJet got a lot of publicity in the early days from a fly-on-the-wall documentary called 'Airline' that was broadcast on ITV in the late-1990's and early-2000's. It basically involved camera crew setup at Luton, Liverpool and a few other bases following staff's dealing with passengers (everything from forgotten passports to lost luggage, cancelled flights etc.). There was usually the same members of staff who featured in every series and there were a few scenes that involved filming on-board flights.

There was similar BBC documentary that ran in the 1990's and early-2000's called 'Airport' that focused on LHR in particular.

Whether it was free or not I'm not sure, but it did a good job at raising awareness of what was a fledgling airline in a growing sector at the time.

holcakker

Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:28 pm

And the recent version (EasyJet: Inside the Cockpit https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7254516/ep ... t_eps_sn_1 ) which was cancelled in a hurry just after two episodes.

sergegva
Topic Author

Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:44 pm

armadillomaster wrote:
We flew MAN-HER-MAN in April and we had 3 bags between two of us. 2 Hand luggage and 1 handbag. either we just got away with it or they aren't bothered?

It seems that the "one hand baggage only" rule is applied in a rather lax way. I just flew Ajaccio-Geneva yesterday with a carry-on (a backpack) and a small shoulder bag. No problem at the gate, but the flight was 45 minutes late, which may have helped. The flight was around 95% full. In my experience, it's often OK for this combo (backpack + shoulder bag), but not always.

f4f3a

Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:54 pm

I would expect to see more 321 orders coming they have just 30 at the moment .
Also worth noting they seem to grow via absorbing other airlines as well . Go gb and part of air Berlin . I wouldn’t be surprised if they’ll be more to come in the next few years .
I do wonder whether we could see an absorption of Thomas Cook or Tui. This could give u2 more access to the holiday market they are after now plus long haul experience . They now have three ex tui people heading the airline

OA940

Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:46 pm

armadillomaster wrote:
SCQ83 wrote:
CRJ900 wrote:

OA940 wrote:

Probably because nobody bothers with handbags. I've never heard of that. And it doesn't make sense considering a handbag is nothing in terms of space (considering most just keep them by their side) and you could also hide one easily.

Also U2 is quite popular in its European routes as I've heard, but I have to agree FR is more popular due to how many new routes it opens.
A350/CSeries = bae

ELBOB

Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:14 pm

SCQ83 wrote:

Aaargh, can we please stop calling them U2? They're not IATA members*, they don't use the IATA code on their tickets ( all flights are prefixed EZY ) and it just sounds daft. The only place where Easyjet make reference to U2 is in their new A320 Neo registrations ( G-UZ_ ), because they'd run out of G-EZ__ options.

And EZY is actually easier to type because you don't have to release Shift half-way through.

* They participate in SIS interlining but that is open to non-membes

ODwyerPW

Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:55 pm

EasyJet were large 737 operators until they converted to A320, correct?
learning never stops.

StTim

Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:56 pm

ODwyerPW wrote:
EasyJet were large 737 operators until they converted to A320, correct?

Correct

runway23

Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:26 pm

[quote="SCQ83"]

Not always. The airline has come a long way. I can assure you that the flights I did in the 90s with them are not at all the same experience one has today. Back then if easyJet could shaft the customer they had no hesitation to do so.

The airline slowly morphed in the mid to end 00s and has gradually become more friendly and business oriented. Of course the traditional flag carriers have come so far down in service that comparatively easyJet looks good and keeps a very good value proposition.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos