Page 1 of 5

LH A340 damaged by pushback tug fire at FRA

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:40 am
by lh340jump
tow truck fire gone really bad.... images just now

Image

Image

Re: LH A340 on fire in FRA now

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:47 am
by N14AZ
Wow, I got a little bit scared when I read the thread title... thanks for providing the pictures.

Re: LH A340 on fire in FRA now

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:51 am
by FatCat
That's one -313X "Operated by LufthansaCityLine"...
So long old friend...

Re: LH A340 on fire in FRA now

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:53 am
by N659AA
Arrived from DFW on a remote spot and noticed the A340 with a ton of Fire Rescue trucks and a sea of foam underneath the aircraft. I could only see the aircraft from the rear, but the right side cockpit look pretty charred from my vantage point. It is also in the STAR ALLIANCE livery.

Re: LH A340 on fire in FRA now

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:55 am
by deltadudejg
Curious what the tail number is on it

Re: LH A340 on fire in FRA now

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:08 am
by N14AZ
deltadudejg wrote:
Curious what the tail number is on it

Why don’t you just check the letters on the nose landing gear doors.... oh wait... :duck:

Sorry, couldn’t resist. :-)

N659AA wrote:
Arrived from DFW ...

Welcome to Germany.

Re: LH A340 on fire in FRA now

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:14 am
by juliuswong
Hopefully the damage isn't bad.

The Singapore Airlines B777-212ER 9V-SQK suffered same fate last year. It was written off recently after in storage for more than seven months. SQ first non-accident related write off, if I'm not mistaken.

Re: LH A340 on fire in FRA now

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:23 am
by FatCat
juliuswong wrote:
Hopefully the damage isn't bad.

The Singapore Airlines B777-212ER 9V-SQK suffered same fate last year. It was written off recently after in storage for more than seven months. SQ first non-accident related write off, if I'm not mistaken.

You say this excellent bird will fly again?
LHCityLine A343s are pretty old... 18 years average (source: Airfleets)
Will LHG bother repairing such plane?
I hope so... but...

Re: LH A340 on fire in FRA now

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:31 am
by ScottishDavie
Do we know if there were any pax on board?

Re: LH A340 on fire in FRA now

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:41 am
by teme82
ScottishDavie wrote:
Do we know if there were any pax on board?

I would say no. Looks like it was on tow at the time of he incident.

Re: LH A340 on fire in FRA now

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:49 am
by juliuswong
FatCat wrote:
juliuswong wrote:
Hopefully the damage isn't bad.

The Singapore Airlines B777-212ER 9V-SQK suffered same fate last year. It was written off recently after in storage for more than seven months. SQ first non-accident related write off, if I'm not mistaken.

You say this excellent bird will fly again?
LHCityLine A343s are pretty old... 18 years average (source: Airfleets)
Will LHG bother repairing such plane?
I hope so... but...

We will need to leave it to insurer to evaluate if the aircraft is worth to be repaired or in parts. Fingers crossed, no metal bird deserved such ending. :(

Re: LH A340 on fire in FRA now

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:52 am
by FatCat
juliuswong wrote:
We will need to leave it to insurer to evaluate if the aircraft is worth to be repaired or in parts. Fingers crossed, no metal bird deserved such ending. :(

Maybe a 777 ... :stirthepot: :rotfl:

Re: LH A340 on fire in FRA now

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:52 am
by LTU932
Regardless of our feelings, if the insurer says it's too expensive to repair, then it will be written off and scrapped. My question is, how this will impact operations for those Jump destinations, such as SJO. Does LH have any spare aircraft for Jump?

Re: LH A340 on fire in FRA now

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:53 am
by FatCat
LTU932 wrote:
Regardless of our feelings, if the insurer says it's too expensive to repair, then it will be written off and scrapped. My question is, how this will impact operations for those Jump destinations, such as SJO. Does LH have any spare aircraft for Jump?

LH currently has a bunch of A346 in short term storage. Maybe they'll revive one of them. :thumbsup:

Re: LH A340 on fire in FRA now

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:10 am
by lh340jump
could be D-AIFA or D-AIGV based on past / current movements

Re: LH A340 on fire in FRA now

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:11 am
by KLMatSJC
I think it's D-AIGV. It looks like it was being towed over to the hangar behind the A-gates. This plane arrived at 0700 local and was scheduled to depart at 13:40--enough time to warrant a tow off. Times roughly match up as well.

It's a shame. This bird operated the inaugural SJC-FRA flight, and it holds a special place in my heart.


Re: LH A340 on fire in FRA now

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:20 am
by PanHAM
According to HR1 Radio, the tractor burned and the fire obviously damaged the aircraft subsequently.

Re: LH A340 on fire in FRA now

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:21 am
by DALCE
any other pics available? dropbox is blocked here in my office, so can't see a thing ;)

Re: LH A340 on fire in FRA now

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:29 am
by placeholder
Gonna be interesting to see, if it was in fact D-AIGV which was scheduled on LH482 to Tampa later on, what Bird will substitute for it.

I wouldnt hold my hopes up high to see her flying again, the Damage looks pretty substantial on the Nose section even though that Bird is fairly young with just over 18 Years.

Re: LH A340 on fire in FRA now

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:41 am
by deltadudejg
FatCat wrote:
juliuswong wrote:
Hopefully the damage isn't bad.

The Singapore Airlines B777-212ER 9V-SQK suffered same fate last year. It was written off recently after in storage for more than seven months. SQ first non-accident related write off, if I'm not mistaken.

You say this excellent bird will fly again?
LHCityLine A343s are pretty old... 18 years average (source: Airfleets)
Will LHG bother repairing such plane?
I hope so... but...


If BA repaired G-VIIO after it's Vegas incident, I wouldn't put it too far past LH repairing it. The potential is there. My question along with all this is how did the avionics computers fair. They are all located below the cockpit, and subsequently above the fire.

Re: LH A340 on fire in FRA now

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:51 am
by stylo777
Pretty sad...
he are some more pictures available: http://www.aero.de/news-29355/Airbus-A3 ... edigt.html

Re: LH A340 on fire in FRA now

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:59 am
by juliuswong

Re: LH A340 on fire in FRA now

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:03 am
by axiom
D-AIFA had just arrived from ATL. A shame to see her looking like this...

Re: LH A340 on fire in FRA now

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:05 am
by Bricktop
:( What a freakish and sad way to go.

Re: LH A340 on fire in FRA now

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:06 am
by juliuswong
deltadudejg wrote:
FatCat wrote:
juliuswong wrote:
Hopefully the damage isn't bad.

The Singapore Airlines B777-212ER 9V-SQK suffered same fate last year. It was written off recently after in storage for more than seven months. SQ first non-accident related write off, if I'm not mistaken.

You say this excellent bird will fly again?
LHCityLine A343s are pretty old... 18 years average (source: Airfleets)
Will LHG bother repairing such plane?
I hope so... but...


If BA repaired G-VIIO after it's Vegas incident, I wouldn't put it too far past LH repairing it. The potential is there. My question along with all this is how did the avionics computers fair. They are all located below the cockpit, and subsequently above the fire.

The upclose photos are now online. She took pretty bad beating. Looks like she is a toast, tbh. https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/6498786/f ... t-updated/

However, JADEC tweeted that only minor damage. Assessment underway. https://twitter.com/JacdecNew/status/10 ... 1610240000

Btw, registration is D-AIFA

Re: LH A340 on fire in FRA now

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:08 am
by FatCat
First flight 26/06/2000... I don't think she will ever fly again.
...but where will she be scrapped? Does FRA have such a capability?

Re: LH A340 on fire in FRA now

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:09 am
by DALCE
Thanks for the links and pics Stylo777 & juliuswong :)

Re: LH A340 on fire in FRA now

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:25 am
by N14AZ
Image
Reminds me a little bit of this jet...

;-)

Re: LH A340 on fire in FRA now

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:27 am
by BartSimpson
Location of the incident seems to be between Hangar 6 and Terminal Z:

https://www.google.de/maps/@50.0460953,8.5575906,17.13z

Re: LH A340 damaged by pushback tug fire at FRA

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:19 am
by Bjm0517
I hope Lufthansa will repair this bird, the A340 is such an amazing aircraft and I would hope to see this one go in such a negative way. :ashamed:

But if it does get scrapped, can that even happen at FRA? I mean they can store it but if they scrap it will it have to be repaired enough to fly to a scrapping-Capable airport? I hope it will not come to that.

Re: LH A340 damaged by pushback tug fire at FRA

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:24 am
by seahawk
Looks to be mostly soot.

Re: LH A340 damaged by pushback tug fire at FRA

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:54 am
by N14AZ
Bjm0517 wrote:
I hope Lufthansa will repair this bird, the A340 is such an amazing aircraft and I would hope to see this one go in such a negative way. :ashamed:

But if it does get scrapped, can that even happen at FRA? I mean they can store it but if they scrap it will it have to be repaired enough to fly to a scrapping-Capable airport? I hope it will not come to that.

I follow the "movements" in FRA since the beginning of the 1980ies but I cannot remember of a single jet that was scrapped in FRA.

I remember a LH-B742 that was transferred to HHN (less than 100km, give or take) just to be scrapped there: http://www.aviationpics.de/scrap/abyq/page_01.htm

Talking about....
juliuswong wrote:
The Singapore Airlines B777-212ER 9V-SQK suffered same fate last year. It was written off recently after in storage for more than seven months.

Has it been scrapped in Singapore?

Re: LH A340 damaged by pushback tug fire at FRA

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:04 pm
by Francoflier
The problem is that the fire was burning right underneath the electronics compartment.

Even if there weren't serious structural repairs required, it is likely that the extensive electronic systems and wiring damage would make the repair quite expensive.

It all depends on how long the fire burned before it was put out and how hot it got in there...

And given the batteries are in there too, it's a good thing they aren't Lithium. :duck:

Re: LH A340 damaged by pushback tug fire at FRA

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:11 pm
by columba
Francoflier wrote:
The problem is that the fire was burning right underneath the electronics compartment.

Even if there weren't serious structural repairs required, it is likely that the extensive electronic systems and wiring damage would make the repair quite expensive.

It all depends on how long the fire burned before it was put out and how hot it got in there...

And given the batteries are in there too, it's a good thing they aren't Lithium. :duck:

Also add the Water/foam damage as well

Re: LH A340 damaged by pushback tug fire at FRA

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:42 pm
by BobMUC

Re: LH A340 on fire in FRA now

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:50 pm
by Revelation
juliuswong wrote:
However, JADEC tweeted that only minor damage. Assessment underway. https://twitter.com/JacdecNew/status/10 ... 1610240000

Tweet sez:

There are reports the A340 was only sooted + the amount of aircraft damage was considered minor, if any.

So, finally, we get an aircraft incident where the damage really might just be buffed out! :biggrin:

Re: LH A340 on fire in FRA now

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:54 pm
by juliuswong
Revelation wrote:
juliuswong wrote:
However, JADEC tweeted that only minor damage. Assessment underway. https://twitter.com/JacdecNew/status/10 ... 1610240000

Tweet sez:

There are reports the A340 was only sooted + the amount of aircraft damage was considered minor, if any.

So, finally, we get an aircraft incident where the damage really might just be buffed out! :biggrin:

Duct tape and some paint, that would suffice. :duck:

Re: LH A340 damaged by pushback tug fire at FRA

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:07 pm
by juliuswong
N14AZ wrote:
Bjm0517 wrote:
I hope Lufthansa will repair this bird, the A340 is such an amazing aircraft and I would hope to see this one go in such a negative way. :ashamed:

But if it does get scrapped, can that even happen at FRA? I mean they can store it but if they scrap it will it have to be repaired enough to fly to a scrapping-Capable airport? I hope it will not come to that.

I follow the "movements" in FRA since the beginning of the 1980ies but I cannot remember of a single jet that was scrapped in FRA.

I remember a LH-B742 that was transferred to HHN (less than 100km, give or take) just to be scrapped there: http://www.aviationpics.de/scrap/abyq/page_01.htm

Talking about....
juliuswong wrote:
The Singapore Airlines B777-212ER 9V-SQK suffered same fate last year. It was written off recently after in storage for more than seven months.

Has it been scrapped in Singapore?

Flew into SIN recently, she was stripped all title and logo, parked in front of SIAEC. Guess she is not going anywhere soon.

Such a sad ending to a mighty bird. 15 years old, and just got cabin refit last year before her fiery ending in Nov 2017.

Re: LH A340 on fire in FRA now

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:08 pm
by AIRT0M
placeholder wrote:
Gonna be interesting to see, if it was in fact D-AIGV which was scheduled on LH482 to Tampa later on, what Bird will substitute for it.

I wouldnt hold my hopes up high to see her flying again, the Damage looks pretty substantial on the Nose section even though that Bird is fairly young with just over 18 Years.


According to LH the damaged plane was the D-AIFA and it was supposed to fly to PHL today. They plan to put it back in service 'within days'.

Re: LH A340 damaged by pushback tug fire at FRA

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:10 pm
by FatCat
Good news. So not much than a sun burn apparently...
Wonder if she will be repainted in "Star Alliance" livery or with the new "Boring Blue" livery

Re: LH A340 damaged by pushback tug fire at FRA

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:11 pm
by Carlos01
BobMUC wrote:


Seriously, anyone saying "only minor damage" after seeing that video should probably also go through an "assessment" like the plane.

Of course, majority of the plane was unharmed though. Like the wings, engines and stuff. Some smoke-aroma perhaps in the cabin. So comparing e.g. with the SR111 - I guess damage is minor.

I wonder how long it took for the airport firecrews to get there? It seems like the fire went on for several minutes.

Re: LH A340 damaged by pushback tug fire at FRA

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:23 pm
by FatCat
Carlos01 wrote:
BobMUC wrote:


Seriously, anyone saying "only minor damage" after seeing that video should probably also go through an "assessment" like the plane.

Of course, majority of the plane was unharmed though. Like the wings, engines and stuff. Some smoke-aroma perhaps in the cabin. So comparing e.g. with the SR111 - I guess damage is minor.

I wonder how long it took for the airport firecrews to get there? It seems like the fire went on for several minutes.

If the fire was caused by tug's engine oil spill, it will take no time to make flames that high.
You can find tons of videos about turbine failures on car on youtube...

Re: LH A340 on fire in FRA now

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:35 pm
by glideslope
FatCat wrote:
That's one -313X "Operated by LufthansaCityLine"...
So long old friend...


Indeed. Was thinking the exact same thing.

Re: LH A340 on fire in FRA now

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:40 pm
by columba
AIRT0M wrote:
placeholder wrote:
. They plan to put it back in service 'within days'.


To quote a former German Foreign Minister: "I am not convinced".

The reason why:

https://twitter.com/JacdecNew/status/10 ... 68/photo/1

See the hole in the third picture

Re: LH A340 damaged by pushback tug fire at FRA

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:43 pm
by stylo777
Is there a technician inside the cockpit during those ground positionings, e.g. for atc communication or application of breaks, etc.??

Re: LH A340 damaged by pushback tug fire at FRA

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:29 pm
by N14AZ
Carlos01 wrote:
I wonder how long it took for the airport firecrews to get there? It seems like the fire went on for several minutes.

How do you know? I guess you are referring to this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tKk4ayJ7Zg but it doesn't show the arrival of the fire engines...

Re: LH A340 damaged by pushback tug fire at FRA

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:33 pm
by N14AZ
Aviation Herald now has a section for this accident: https://avherald.com/h?article=4b9bfba4&opt=0

A replacement A340-300 registration D-AIGP departed with a delay of two hours.

Wow, not bad.

Re: LH A340 damaged by pushback tug fire at FRA

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:48 pm
by smokeybandit
Well if you're going to have an incident like that, no better place to have it than your main hub

Re: LH A340 damaged by pushback tug fire at FRA

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:50 pm
by DABYT

Re: LH A340 damaged by pushback tug fire at FRA

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:05 pm
by N14AZ
DABYT wrote:

Wow, I never saw passengers or a group of visitors walking on the apron in that area of the airport (see at about 0:25). Not the best Timing, I guess..
smokeybandit wrote:
Well if you're going to have an incident like that, no better place to have it than your main hub

True.