Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Kickert
Topic Author

Pictures of Swazi King's A340 leaked

Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:37 pm

According to AllAfrica.com, guards for King Mswati III of Eswatini (formerly Swaziland) have been fined for leaking photos of his new A340. Honestly, I am surprised it took this long for them to surface. I know when I was still in the country several months ago, pictures were circulating among whatsapp users. I wouldn't consider their provenance to be iron clad, but I did some searching and I can't find any other source that the pictures may have come from. The fact that it is being reported that someone was punished adds some credibility to the story. I can follow up with a friend of mine whose wife is a guard for the King and see if the story checks out.

If the pics are accurate, we clearly see that it is good to be king.

http://allafrica.com/stories/201806110320.html

reffado

Re: Pictures of Swazi King's A340 leaked

Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:50 pm

I’d take them with a grain of salt. I’m pretty sure that top right picture was in a widely circulated Vice news article from last year. Regardless, I doubt the truth is very different from these.

redzeppelin

Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:03 pm

Pictures look nice, but I have a hard time believing that all of the images are from the same aircraft due to the radical differences in design elements. I would expect a more cohesive design throughout the cabin.

alancostello

Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:01 pm

reffado wrote:
I’d take them with a grain of salt. I’m pretty sure that top right picture was in a widely circulated Vice news article from last year. Regardless, I doubt the truth is very different from these.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/ywwk ... super-rich

Here is the article, and you're correct.

Bricktop

Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:08 pm

Kickert wrote:
it is good to be king.

Beat me to it. ;)

WorldFlier

Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:29 pm

Kickert wrote:
According to AllAfrica.com, guards for King Mswati III of Eswatini (formerly Swaziland) have been fined for leaking photos of his new A340. Honestly, I am surprised it took this long for them to surface. I know when I was still in the country several months ago, pictures were circulating among whatsapp users. I wouldn't consider their provenance to be iron clad, but I did some searching and I can't find any other source that the pictures may have come from. The fact that it is being reported that someone was punished adds some credibility to the story. I can follow up with a friend of mine whose wife is a guard for the King and see if the story checks out.

All the while Swaziland has one of (if not THE) the highest rates of HIV in the world.

"His Highness" doesn't need to fly anywhere. He should be focused on saving his country!

reffado

Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:53 pm

alancostello wrote:
reffado wrote:

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/ywwk ... super-rich

Here is the article, and you're correct.

Thank you for finding it!

PS: While the written content in that article is of questionable quality and relevance, the images are pretty good, especially for avgeeks.

Cheers!

Wacker1000

Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:20 pm

What kind of king gets an A340?

Is his castle by the railroad tracks or something?

juliuswong

Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:19 am

Apparently the aircraft was gifted by Chinese Taipei government for Swaziland recognition of Chinese Taipei government instead of People's Republic of China. Not a surprise the A343 is ex-CI.
- Life is a journey, travel it well -

Kickert
Topic Author

Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:45 am

WorldFlier wrote:
Kickert wrote:

All the while Swaziland has one of (if not THE) the highest rates of HIV in the world.

"His Highness" doesn't need to fly anywhere. He should be focused on saving his country!

It is the highest HIV rate... One third of adults are infected. They also have the highest TB rate. He has multiple palaces to go with his multiple wives (he has been married to 15 women). No rail road next to his main palace, but he did just build a private road between the royal kraal and a couple of his palaces.

More on topic, I am not surprised some of the pics are misidentified, but I know some from the set are authentic because they include the king and/or royal seal in the photo.

JAGflyer

Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:58 am

The guards were fined 29 cattle. Is that the official currency of Swaziland?
If you flew today, thank a Flight Dispatcher!

aemoreira1981

Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:03 am

WorldFlier wrote:
Kickert wrote:

Interesting that you say that since his MD-87 has been at JFK for the better part of 2 weeks minus one trip in and out.

Kickert
Topic Author

Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:43 am

JAGflyer wrote:
The guards were fined 29 cattle. Is that the official currency of Swaziland?

It is the traditional currency. If you are fined by the king or a chief, you are going to be fined in cattle... Although in practice that is converted to Emalengeni (usually around 5-7000 or 400-500 USD).

tjcab

Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:56 am

WorldFlier wrote:
Kickert wrote:

Oh please stop. Meanwhile

Benny Hinn
Frederick K.C. Price
Creflo Dollar
Jan and Paul Crouch
K.A. Paul
Joyce Meyer
Paula And Randy White
Mike Murdock
Kenny Copeland
Rod Parsley

And what does the US president and cabinet cost in travel expenses per year (plus security costs), then look at the wealth distribution, public schools etc.

Whenever it comes to Africa, we gets posts like these. 90% of so-called leaders misuse country resources. North Korea has the highest literacy rate. Does it mean Kuwait should not spend what they do and focus on that? Yes they have an HIV problem, but can't we just stick to criticism the aircraft.

Kickert
Topic Author

Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:26 am

tjcab wrote:
WorldFlier wrote:
Kickert wrote:

Oh please stop. Meanwhile

Benny Hinn
Frederick K.C. Price
Creflo Dollar
Jan and Paul Crouch
K.A. Paul
Joyce Meyer
Paula And Randy White
Mike Murdock
Kenny Copeland
Rod Parsley

And what does the US president and cabinet cost in travel expenses per year (plus security costs), then look at the wealth distribution, public schools etc.

Whenever it comes to Africa, we gets posts like these. 90% of so-called leaders misuse country resources. North Korea has the highest literacy rate. Does it mean Kuwait should not spend what they do and focus on that? Yes they have an HIV problem, but can't we just stick to criticism the aircraft.

The issue of transport is real in the Kingdom... 70% of the country lives on less than 2 dollar a day and clinics are constantly out of medicine. A disproportionate amount of money goes to gherkin king and his family on international travel and shopping sprees.

EduardoL

Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:36 am

Photo number 2 next to Airbus is from 5A-ONE, they can search what they will find. The one in Brunei is also similar.

artofzen

Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:06 am

I like the new country name eSwatini = land of the Swazi.

Max Q

Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:29 am

As usual money can’t buy taste
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

GGg

juliuswong

Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:32 am

Kickert wrote:
WorldFlier wrote:
Kickert wrote:

It is the highest HIV rate... One third of adults are infected. They also have the highest TB rate. He has multiple palaces to go with his multiple wives (he has been married to 15 women). No rail road next to his main palace, but he did just build a private road between the royal kraal and a couple of his palaces.

More on topic, I am not surprised some of the pics are misidentified, but I know some from the set are authentic because they include the king and/or royal seal in the photo.

A ceremony is held every year where virgins from nationwide will dance topless and he will select his new concubine. More than half the countrymen, women and children are dying of hunger and poverty........
- Life is a journey, travel it well -

SR380

Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:19 am

EduardoL wrote:
Photo number 2 next to Airbus is from 5A-ONE, they can search what they will find. The one in Brunei is also similar.

At least not all of them are from the same aircarft. There is too much disparity from one another. Usually the guys that are fitting an aircraft interior are sticking to the same style.

On another note. What did you guys expect? 8 abreast seats? The aircarft has been transfer from Taiwan where it got painted to Hambourg for interior fitting. It’s obvious it was going to be all luxury.

Cheers

oldannyboy

Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:23 am

Shameful. And utterly tragic for a country so poor. Do people realize how much could be done for the poor souls of that battered country with the money WASTED on the king's own extravagances?
Nothing else to add.
The avgeek in me just stops functioning before such images.

UAEflyer

Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:39 am

I really doubt the interior pictures, I’m sure that one or 2 pictures are from Gaddafi A340, which was once owned by Saudi Prince Alwaleed bin Talal, plus those pictures are taken by a professional not a cell phone , you can know that by the lighting and other features.

Turbofanfan

Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:21 am

Boy oh boy I shudder to think about in what awful state the world would be if we didn't have these courageous individuals bravely defending the moral highground by letting African dictators know the error of their ways through the means of posting two line comments on a niche internet forum.

Jayafe

Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:24 am

Kickert wrote:

It is the highest HIV rate... One third of adults are infected. They also have the highest TB rate. He has multiple palaces to go with his multiple wives (he has been married to 15 women). No rail road next to his main palace, but he did just build a private road between the royal kraal and a couple of his palaces. .

I would wonder about the $4 billion AF1 birds, and the infant mortality rate in the US (or the poverty one, or broke students loans, or whichever you want to choose)..

seb76

Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:26 am

To me all those pictures looks like CGI. The lighting seems very unrealistic.

WorldFlier

Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:30 pm

Jayafe wrote:
Kickert wrote:

It is the highest HIV rate... One third of adults are infected. They also have the highest TB rate. He has multiple palaces to go with his multiple wives (he has been married to 15 women). No rail road next to his main palace, but he did just build a private road between the royal kraal and a couple of his palaces. .

I would wonder about the $4 billion AF1 birds, and the infant mortality rate in the US (or the poverty one, or broke students loans, or whichever you want to choose)..

And I think AF1 is a huge waste of money too! Something like $20M to replace a refrigerator? My disdain for wasteful vanity projects (that are often airplanes, sadly) by vain leaders is a problem.

However, on the other hand this plane is also tacky as heck!

gzm

Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:35 pm

Guys I don't know why you don't like it. The bedroom is fabulous! I especially like the way those armchairs are fitted in the decor. One would imagine that the door opens and Cinderella steps in....

iseeyyc

Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:10 pm

artofzen wrote:
I like the new country name eSwatini = land of the Swazi.

He changed it again, its now "Pepsi Presents eSwatini"

c933103

Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:41 pm

juliuswong wrote:
Apparently the aircraft was gifted by Chinese Taipei government for Swaziland recognition of Chinese Taipei government instead of People's Republic of China. Not a surprise the A343 is ex-CI.

IMO not something wise for the government of Taiwan to do so from PR perspective
It's pointless to attempt winning internet debate.
Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan!
Meow Meow Meow! Meow Meow Meow Meow!

factsonly

Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:05 am

On Sunday 17 June, the King of Swaziland A340 3DC-SDF seems to be on a somewhat round-about routing from Swaziland to Hamburg.......possibly for some TLC at LH Technic???

https://www.flightradar24.com/3DCSDF/1ccc7ea3

Anyone?

CobaltScar

Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:28 pm

Not surprised by this at all. I would not welcome this "king" into my subdivision , much less my country.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos