tys777
Topic Author
Posts: 321
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:43 am

Spirit launches AVL

Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:15 pm

Didn't see this posted, feel free to delete.

Spirit announced Asheville today with flights to FLL, MCO, AND TPA

will be interesting to see what this does to G4
 
User avatar
flymco753
Posts: 2734
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:09 am

Re: Spirit launches AVL

Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:19 pm

Didn't see that one coming. Sticking true to the FL model I see. I assume this could pull from Knoxville.
Resort, and other ground transportation options are on level 1.

*Future Route Network Planner*
 
727LOVER
Posts: 8013
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2001 12:22 am

Re: Spirit launches AVL

Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:22 pm

"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
 
Chisky16
Posts: 142
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:22 pm

Re: Spirit launches AVL

Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:22 pm

Any chance of an ORD-AVL/GSO launch for them? Airfare from CLT and AVL to the Chicago area is especially steep compared to other markets.
Using common knowledge to save the day!
 
msycajun
Posts: 837
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:13 am

Re: Spirit launches AVL

Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:26 pm

Here's the press release:
http://ir.spirit.com/news-releases/news-release-details/and-away-asheville-spirit-airlines-brings-ultra-low-fares-warm

Certainly unexpected adds with GSO and AVL over RDU and CLT. Maybe they feel like G4 is an easy target. I know I'd choose NK over G4 especially when they are flying to TPA and MCO versus PIE and SFB.
 
User avatar
flymco753
Posts: 2734
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:09 am

Re: Spirit launches AVL

Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:43 pm

tys777 wrote:
I'm assuming that G4 is starting to erode yields for NK and/or NK see's an opportunity to gain market share. I wouldn't be surprised to see more stations in the southeast gain service like this. Less than daily, relatively short-haul, and easy to fit into existing aircraft utilization especially as they take some of their daily markets to less than daily.
Plus you can use the A319 and still gain significant share. The A321's seem to be heavily banked on LAS, ORD, DTW and FLL.
Resort, and other ground transportation options are on level 1.

*Future Route Network Planner*
 
User avatar
flymco753
Posts: 2734
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:09 am

Re: Spirit launches AVL

Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:43 pm

tys777 wrote:
I'm assuming that G4 is starting to erode yields for NK and/or NK see's an opportunity to gain market share. I wouldn't be surprised to see more stations in the southeast gain service like this. Less than daily, relatively short-haul, and easy to fit into existing aircraft utilization especially as they take some of their daily markets to less than daily.
Plus you can use the A319 and still gain significant share. The A321's seem to be heavily banked on LAS, ORD, DTW and FLL.
Resort, and other ground transportation options are on level 1.

*Future Route Network Planner*
 
tys777
Topic Author
Posts: 321
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:43 am

Re: Spirit launches AVL

Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:46 pm

I'm assuming that G4 is starting to erode yields for NK and/or NK see's an opportunity to gain market share. I wouldn't be surprised to see more stations in the southeast gain service like this. Less than daily, relatively short-haul, and easy to fit into existing aircraft utilization especially as they take some of their daily markets to less than daily.
 
stlgph
Posts: 10417
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:19 pm

Re: Spirit launches AVL

Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:50 pm

reminds me of a cute little airline from a couple of years ago called AirTran.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport
 
User avatar
enilria
Posts: 8410
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:15 pm

Re: Spirit launches AVL

Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:51 pm

tys777 wrote:
I'm assuming that G4 is starting to erode yields for NK and/or NK see's an opportunity to gain market share. I wouldn't be surprised to see more stations in the southeast gain service like this. Less than daily, relatively short-haul, and easy to fit into existing aircraft utilization especially as they take some of their daily markets to less than daily.

This seems like a redux of what led to G4 moving competing flights from SFB to MCO to fight off AirTran's entry into pretty much the same sorts of markets. The big difference is that MCO is going to be super-expensive going forward with that new terminal.
 
MAH4546
Posts: 25423
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2001 1:44 pm

Re: Spirit launches AVL

Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:12 pm

Asheville is a big market from South Florida. Allegiant will fly it twice daily starting in October. It’s rare to see Allegiant fly something daily, let alone twice daily.
a.
 
wnflyguy
Posts: 1340
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:58 pm

Re: Spirit launches AVL

Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:48 pm

Well RF successfully brought some cast aways from the WN/FL merger into Spirit airlines to revamp its operations completely.
The Ryan Air type of Spirit airlines is slowly being pushed away for a More AirTran type model.

Flyguy
my post are my opinion only and not those of southwest airlines and or airtran airlines.
 
TYSflyer
Posts: 148
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:44 pm

Re: Spirit launches AVL

Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:59 pm

Wow! GSO didn’t surprise me at all, but AVL definitely does for the main reason of how well G4 has these routes covered out of there. Does anyone think G4 may have caught wind of the NK arrival to AVL as G4 just loaded last week a fairly substantial increase in service to SFB and FLL from AVL? Starting in October, FLL will be twice daily and SFB daily.
 
cbphoto
Posts: 1201
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 6:23 am

Re: Spirit launches AVL

Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:36 pm

TYSflyer wrote:
Wow! GSO didn’t surprise me at all, but AVL definitely does for the main reason of how well G4 has these routes covered out of there. Does anyone think G4 may have caught wind of the NK arrival to AVL as G4 just loaded last week a fairly substantial increase in service to SFB and FLL from AVL? Starting in October, FLL will be twice daily and SFB daily.


Absolutely!! FLL is going to be a blood bath with 3 flights, all on a ULCC. Customers in AVL and FLL will be getting $10 one way fares by the looks of it..lol
But In all honesty, G4 will be able to hold their own in FLL and PIE. SFB I would be a bit worried about as MCO is much closer to the theme parks, and transportation is pricy from SFB. So any cost savings G4 could offer to SFB will be immediately wiped out by spirit going to MCO!
ETOPS: Engines Turning or Passengers Swimming
 
TYSflyer
Posts: 148
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:44 pm

Re: Spirit launches AVL

Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:55 pm

cbphoto wrote:
TYSflyer wrote:
Wow! GSO didn’t surprise me at all, but AVL definitely does for the main reason of how well G4 has these routes covered out of there. Does anyone think G4 may have caught wind of the NK arrival to AVL as G4 just loaded last week a fairly substantial increase in service to SFB and FLL from AVL? Starting in October, FLL will be twice daily and SFB daily.


Absolutely!! FLL is going to be a blood bath with 3 flights, all on a ULCC. Customers in AVL and FLL will be getting $10 one way fares by the looks of it..lol
But In all honesty, G4 will be able to hold their own in FLL and PIE. SFB I would be a bit worried about as MCO is much closer to the theme parks, and transportation is pricy from SFB. So any cost savings G4 could offer to SFB will be immediately wiped out by spirit going to MCO!

I agree about the blood bath! One important thing to remember about SFB/MCO is both FL and G4 competed out of these 2 airports back early in the decade, and they both seemed to find their niche. I think it has already been mentioned above or in the discussion about GSO. Initially, G4 moved some flights to MCO on routes where they were competing with FL. But after a year or 2, G4 moved them all back to SFB. I read one of the reasons was passenger complaints as they preferred the small, easy to navigate SFB. So both airlines may be able to thrive.
 
cbphoto
Posts: 1201
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 6:23 am

Re: Spirit launches AVL

Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:59 pm

TYSflyer wrote:
cbphoto wrote:
TYSflyer wrote:
Wow! GSO didn’t surprise me at all, but AVL definitely does for the main reason of how well G4 has these routes covered out of there. Does anyone think G4 may have caught wind of the NK arrival to AVL as G4 just loaded last week a fairly substantial increase in service to SFB and FLL from AVL? Starting in October, FLL will be twice daily and SFB daily.


Absolutely!! FLL is going to be a blood bath with 3 flights, all on a ULCC. Customers in AVL and FLL will be getting $10 one way fares by the looks of it..lol
But In all honesty, G4 will be able to hold their own in FLL and PIE. SFB I would be a bit worried about as MCO is much closer to the theme parks, and transportation is pricy from SFB. So any cost savings G4 could offer to SFB will be immediately wiped out by spirit going to MCO!

I agree about the blood bath! One important thing to remember about SFB/MCO is both FL and G4 competed out of these 2 airports back early in the decade, and they both seemed to find their niche. I think it has already been mentioned above or in the discussion about GSO. Initially, G4 moved some flights to MCO on routes where they were competing with FL. But after a year or 2, G4 moved them all back to SFB. I read one of the reasons was passenger complaints as they preferred the small, easy to navigate SFB. So both airlines may be able to thrive.


True..and hopefully that’s the case. I guess we’ll see how it goes. Either way AVL might need to start looking at expanding its ever shrinking terminal.
ETOPS: Engines Turning or Passengers Swimming
 
TYSflyer
Posts: 148
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:44 pm

Re: Spirit launches AVL

Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:07 pm

cbphoto wrote:
TYSflyer wrote:
cbphoto wrote:

Absolutely!! FLL is going to be a blood bath with 3 flights, all on a ULCC. Customers in AVL and FLL will be getting $10 one way fares by the looks of it..lol
But In all honesty, G4 will be able to hold their own in FLL and PIE. SFB I would be a bit worried about as MCO is much closer to the theme parks, and transportation is pricy from SFB. So any cost savings G4 could offer to SFB will be immediately wiped out by spirit going to MCO!

I agree about the blood bath! One important thing to remember about SFB/MCO is both FL and G4 competed out of these 2 airports back early in the decade, and they both seemed to find their niche. I think it has already been mentioned above or in the discussion about GSO. Initially, G4 moved some flights to MCO on routes where they were competing with FL. But after a year or 2, G4 moved them all back to SFB. I read one of the reasons was passenger complaints as they preferred the small, easy to navigate SFB. So both airlines may be able to thrive.


True..and hopefully that’s the case. I guess we’ll see how it goes. Either way AVL might need to start looking at expanding its ever shrinking terminal.

Good point. It’s been years since I was last there. I think it may have been the late nineties. If I remember there were 2 passenger boarding bridges on an upper level and 3-4 ground level gates. Has it changed since then?
 
Northwest1988
Posts: 234
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:10 pm

Re: Spirit launches AVL

Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:32 pm

I believe Spirit is run by the former AirTran CEO currently so I can see the FL similarities. G4 has a base in AVL so it’s interesting to see competition with a carrier that already has such a strangle hold on the market.
 
User avatar
AVLAirlineFreq
Posts: 1160
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:31 am

Re: Spirit launches AVL

Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:50 pm

TYSflyer wrote:

Good point. It’s been years since I was last there. I think it may have been the late nineties. If I remember there were 2 passenger boarding bridges on an upper level and 3-4 ground level gates. Has it changed since then?


The terminal was partially renovated about a decade ago. There are six gates, five with jetways, all on the same level and all common use. The airport is currently expanding apron space for RON aircraft.
 
airtrantpa
Posts: 194
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:53 am

Re: Spirit launches AVL

Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:25 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
Well RF successfully brought some cast aways from the WN/FL merger into Spirit airlines to revamp its operations completely.
The Ryan Air type of Spirit airlines is slowly being pushed away for a More AirTran type model.

Flyguy


Well considering NK is run by the ex ceo of FL...........
AVL my new Hometown airport! Farewell TPA
 
User avatar
tb727
Posts: 2060
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:40 pm

Re: Spirit launches AVL

Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:24 pm

Moving East to West with these announcements, maybe BNA tomorrow, MEM on Friday? Didn't see AVL coming.
Too lazy to work, too scared to steal!
 
User avatar
flymco753
Posts: 2734
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:09 am

Re: Spirit launches AVL

Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:35 pm

tb727 wrote:
Moving East to West with these announcements, maybe BNA tomorrow, MEM on Friday? Didn't see AVL coming.
If this is true, do you know how big of a win this is for the southern Greater Appalachia?
Resort, and other ground transportation options are on level 1.

*Future Route Network Planner*
 
axiom
Posts: 688
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:39 pm

Re: Spirit launches AVL

Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:48 pm

tb727 wrote:
Moving East to West with these announcements, maybe BNA tomorrow, MEM on Friday? Didn't see AVL coming.


Track Mark Kopczak's movements :lol:
 
Casobs
Posts: 94
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:24 pm

Re: Spirit launches AVL

Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:13 am

How is their terminal going to handle these flights?
 
TYSflyer
Posts: 148
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:44 pm

Re: Spirit launches AVL

Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:46 am

AVLAirlineFreq wrote:
TYSflyer wrote:

Good point. It’s been years since I was last there. I think it may have been the late nineties. If I remember there were 2 passenger boarding bridges on an upper level and 3-4 ground level gates. Has it changed since then?


The terminal was partially renovated about a decade ago. There are six gates, five with jetways, all on the same level and all common use. The airport is currently expanding apron space for RON aircraft.

Thanks! I need to get over there at some point and take a look at it. Still I wonder with this growth showing no signs of slowing if they will need a couple of extra gates soon.
 
User avatar
AVLAirlineFreq
Posts: 1160
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:31 am

Re: Spirit launches AVL

Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:52 am

TYSflyer wrote:
AVLAirlineFreq wrote:
TYSflyer wrote:

Good point. It’s been years since I was last there. I think it may have been the late nineties. If I remember there were 2 passenger boarding bridges on an upper level and 3-4 ground level gates. Has it changed since then?


The terminal was partially renovated about a decade ago. There are six gates, five with jetways, all on the same level and all common use. The airport is currently expanding apron space for RON aircraft.

Thanks! I need to get over there at some point and take a look at it. Still I wonder with this growth showing no signs of slowing if they will need a couple of extra gates soon.


The airport did just approve a terminal master plan study, so that's definitely a possibility. Right now, the biggest challenges are first thing in the morning for the RON flights, and anytime there's a weather delay.
 
TYSflyer
Posts: 148
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:44 pm

Re: Spirit launches AVL

Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:26 pm

Given this news of NK announcing AVL, I’m even more surprised that they still lack service to DC area on a legacy carrier or regular service to DFW. AA is now running seasonal, Saturday only service to AVL so maybe that will be escalated soon. Seems the ULCC are finding a real opportunity there that the legacy carriers are not as interested in.
 
airtrantpa
Posts: 194
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:53 am

Re: Spirit launches AVL

Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:44 pm

TYSflyer wrote:
Given this news of NK announcing AVL, I’m even more surprised that they still lack service to DC area on a legacy carrier or regular service to DFW. AA is now running seasonal, Saturday only service to AVL so maybe that will be escalated soon. Seems the ULCC are finding a real opportunity there that the legacy carriers are not as interested in.


AVL has service to BWI on G4
AVL my new Hometown airport! Farewell TPA
 
User avatar
AVLAirlineFreq
Posts: 1160
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:31 am

Re: Spirit launches AVL

Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:12 pm

TYSflyer wrote:
Given this news of NK announcing AVL, I’m even more surprised that they still lack service to DC area on a legacy carrier or regular service to DFW. AA is now running seasonal, Saturday only service to AVL so maybe that will be escalated soon.


It is surprising that AA has never done DCA except on a very limited Saturday-only seasonal basis a few years ago, and that UA has never tried it from IAD given their success to ORD and EWR. (Although given how UA has treated the IAD hub, perhaps not so surprising.)

pmAA did fly DFW-AVL a few years ago on a seasonal 1x/day basis and it did very well, but it ended right when the airline filed for bankruptcy and fuel prices shot up and AA dropped a lot of their long, thin RJ routes. I'll be interested in how this Saturday-only service to DFW does this summer, although it's such a limited test that I'm not expecting a lot despite the fact that there's a fair amount of summer demand from Texas to western NC.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos