Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

flymia
Topic Author

Bahamasair To Purchase 737-700

Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:24 pm

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/bahamasair-to-acquire-737-700-from-aercap-449427/

Bahamasair is adding a 737-700 to its fleet by the end of the year. It currently has 3 737-500 aircraft along with its ATR-42 and ATR-72 airplanes.

Its nice to see an NG come to UP. It looks like it will be added capacity and not a replacement for the 735s. I recently flew them on MIA-NAS-FLL and while one of the 735 I was one was very comfortable and looked like it was in great shape the other had a horrible cabin. They were also down an airplane causing a lot of delays. My flight was delayed 5+ hours.

Hopefully they will be able to modernize the jet fleet a bit and help with on-time performance that seems to be pretty bad. But I was surprised how much cheaper their fares were on the MIA/FLL market compared to WN, B6 and AA. It was twice the price on those airlines for a holiday weekend flight. I also could not imagine being on the first 735 I took on the NAS-IAH flight.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

MIAFLLPBIFlyer

Re: Bahamasair To Purchase 737-700

Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:57 pm

flymia wrote:
https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/bahamasair-to-acquire-737-700-from-aercap-449427/

Bahamasair is adding a 737-700 to its fleet by the end of the year. It currently has 3 737-500 aircraft along with its ATR-42 and ATR-72 airplanes.

Its nice to see an NG come to UP. It looks like it will be added capacity and not a replacement for the 735s. I recently flew them on MIA-NAS-FLL and while one of the 735 I was one was very comfortable and looked like it was in great shape the other had a horrible cabin. They were also down an airplane causing a lot of delays. My flight was delayed 5+ hours.

Hopefully they will be able to modernize the jet fleet a bit and help with on-time performance that seems to be pretty bad. But I was surprised how much cheaper their fares were on the MIA/FLL market compared to WN, B6 and AA. It was twice the price on those airlines for a holiday weekend flight. I also could not imagine being on the first 735 I took on the NAS-IAH flight.

Also frequency is an issue. AA has flooded MIA-NAS for years and B6 runs something like 5 or 6 daily FLL-NAS. I believe WN will add a second FLL-NAS next winter. I want to see UP remain competitive in this market so 737-7 will be helpful.

par13del

Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:16 pm

A bit more details on the UP front...
http://www.tribune242.com/news/2018/jun ... ff-by-100/

lostsound

Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:31 pm

Bahamasair would be a great candidate for the CSeries if they had the money. Seems like a perfect size for their operations.
Curious what the cabin will look like on the 737-700.

flymia
Topic Author

Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:30 pm

MIAFLLPBIFlyer wrote:
flymia wrote:

Also frequency is an issue. AA has flooded MIA-NAS for years and B6 runs something like 5 or 6 daily FLL-NAS. I believe WN will add a second FLL-NAS next winter. I want to see UP remain competitive in this market so 737-7 will be helpful.

From the MIA front I feel like frequencies are down. I think AA used to have 10+ daily MIA-NAS now its down to 6-daily. With UP having 3-4 daily.

At FLL B6 is at 3x daily maybe an extra on the weekend? WN at 2x daily and UP at 4x daily.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

YellowJ

Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:10 pm

flymia wrote:
MIAFLLPBIFlyer wrote:
flymia wrote:

From the MIA front I feel like frequencies are down. I think AA used to have 10+ daily MIA-NAS now its down to 6-daily. With UP having 3-4 daily.

At FLL B6 is at 3x daily maybe an extra on the weekend? WN at 2x daily and UP at 4x daily.

AA is at 7x daily with occasional increases during peak time, UP is at 4x

On the FLL side: B6 is at 4x daily, UP is at 4x, WN is at 2x

fpofllflyboi

Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:19 pm

So... this 737-700 suggests (to me) they really do have intentions on adding route/s on the west coast as has been discussed in another thread. Why not add another 737-500 for the extra capacity and frequency? I'm not sure but isn't the 737-7 cockpit different and probably a different type rating needed being a NG aircraft? Yes they are adding more seats, but also range.

flymia
Topic Author

Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:45 pm

fpofllflyboi wrote:
So... this 737-700 suggests (to me) they really do have intentions on adding route/s on the west coast as has been discussed in another thread. Why not add another 737-500 for the extra capacity and frequency? I'm not sure but isn't the 737-7 cockpit different and probably a different type rating needed being a NG aircraft? Yes they are adding more seats, but also range.

Same rating. Maybe a difference training? Maybe. But the type rating is the same. As for flights on the west coast? You are talking a out LAX? I doubt we will see that. It will be interesting to see if IAH continues. Florida is still by far the biggest market to the Bahamas, especially for Bahamasair. If they did add new destinations the only ones I could think of would be something like TPA, and then maybe an BWI or ATL type add. Something in or near the Southeast U.S. I don't think the Bahamas are that popular with those on the west coast.

F27500

Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:52 pm

I heard that UP has no cabin service whatsoever on their flights. Is this true? They operate segments that surely should have at least a beverage service. What is provided on their IAH route?

yellowtail

Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:14 pm

maybe this plane can be used to look south or west.....Maybe MEX, LIM or BOG? Atlantis and Baha Mar are big (albeit expensive) draws to NAS.
When in doubt, hold on to your altitude. No-one has ever collided with the sky.

jetskipper

Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:19 pm

fpofllflyboi wrote:

Same Type Rating only minimal “differences training” which can be done either in the classroom or via CBT in under a day. When airlines such a WN and CO we’re operating the 737-300s, -500s and NGs at the same time it was not uncommon for a flight deck crew to switch between at three in a single trip if not day.

YellowJ

Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:35 pm

F27500 wrote:
I heard that UP has no cabin service whatsoever on their flights. Is this true? They operate segments that surely should have at least a beverage service. What is provided on their IAH route?

They used to provide beverage and snack service a few years ago. Don't know what they do for their IAH/ORD flights, but Spirit, Frontier and Allegiant aren't having problems with that aspect on longer routes.

fpofllflyboi

Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:17 pm

flymia wrote:
fpofllflyboi wrote:

Same rating. Maybe a difference training? Maybe. But the type rating is the same. As for flights on the west coast? You are talking a out LAX? I doubt we will see that. It will be interesting to see if IAH continues. Florida is still by far the biggest market to the Bahamas, especially for Bahamasair. If they did add new destinations the only ones I could think of would be something like TPA, and then maybe an BWI or ATL type add. Something in or near the Southeast U.S. I don't think the Bahamas are that popular with those on the west coast.

Not sure if I followed proper forum rules for this link...
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1364409 (Bahamasair and the US - West Coast Rumor) thread

But to answer your question, LAX is what was rumored a year ago in the thread above along with IAH. Maybe they should try to focus on second tier airports, I dunno.

flymia
Topic Author

Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:56 pm

fpofllflyboi wrote:
flymia wrote:
fpofllflyboi wrote:

Not sure if I followed proper forum rules for this link...
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1364409 (Bahamasair and the US - West Coast Rumor) thread

But to answer your question, LAX is what was rumored a year ago in the thread above along with IAH. Maybe they should try to focus on second tier airports, I dunno.

I remember the rumor. I just don't see it happening. Who knows, maybe it will. But I would think if they add anything TPA is the next one. And again, when I was there a month ago there was a good amount of people from the N.E. as is shown by the flight schedules with NYC, D.C. and BOS having non-stops.