Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SpaceshipDC10
Topic Author

"Air Transat prepping for A321LRs by rapidly expanding in Europe"

Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:22 am

The airline will dump 15% more seats into Europe this summer – and do so with widebody aircraft that executives concede are not ideal for the job.

But starting next year, Transat will begin defending newly-acquired turf with an expanding fleet of efficient Airbus A321LRs.

"Our first goal [is] to increase frequencies so that we are able to protect our market share," Annick Guerard, chief operating officer of Air Transat parent Transat AT, says on 14 June. "We need to take our place in those markets that we see are highly profitable."

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... in-449483/

On the longer term, I wonder how many more A321LRs could they add while perhaps in the meantime reducing the A330s fleet?

PatrickZ80

Re: "Air Transat prepping for A321LRs by rapidly expanding in Europe"

Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:06 pm

They'll still need the A330 for destinations that are out of reach for the A330, so I don't think they'll be reducing the A330 fleet. It will however get a slightly different role as "nearby" destinations are being replaced by A321LRs.

Also, at some of their destinations there is a shortage of slots so the only way to haul more passengers is bigger planes. They can't increase the frequency without sufficient slots which aren't available. Of course they could also shift their operations to alternative airports in the region where slots are easier to obtain. Those airports may not be very big, but certainly big enough for an A321LR.

Dominion301

Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:17 pm

I certainly hope that “defending market share” isn’t TS’ only use for the 321LRs. I certainly hope they use them to reinstate former routes out of secondary markets like YOW-LGW or YQB-MRS that they have all but abandoned save for YQB-CDG.

SamYeager2016

Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:57 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
They'll still need the A330 for destinations that are out of reach for the A330

Really? :bouncy:

PatrickZ80

Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:04 pm

SamYeager2016 wrote:
PatrickZ80 wrote:
They'll still need the A330 for destinations that are out of reach for the A330

Really? :bouncy:

Oops, typo. I think everyone understands what I meant to say.

Newbiepilot

Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:16 pm

I am seeing an imminent war between Westjet and Air Transat. Westjet is using the 737MAX, 767s and soon the 787. Air Transat is using A330s and soon A321LRs.

With both Westjet and Air Canada flying 737MAX Transatlantic already, Air Transat can’t wait and let them get market share. The A330 may be too big but it is all they have for now. For now the 737MAX and 767s at Westjet are a better option for the smaller markets, but if Westjet gets a hold of too much market share, Air Transat will have an uphill battle once A321s arrive. 345 seat A330s are quite large

SpaceshipDC10
Topic Author

Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:48 pm

Newbiepilot wrote:
345 seat A330s are quite large

And 375 sears in three of their A333s that are mostly used to LGW and CDG. However, as I've once asked, I wonder how long will those stay around.

JoKeR

Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:59 pm

Welcome to Belgrade, about time a Canadian airline exercises the newly signed national bilateral agreement between Canada and Serbia.

KL001

Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:23 pm

I am sure they are sweating about the thought that Norwegian will soon start flying to Canada, providing much cheaper flights on more comfortable planes (or at least, comparable planes). Hopefully the Canadian airlines will be forced to lower their rates on perhaps some of their most profitable routes, requiring more cost-efficient aircraft such as the A321 (and hopefully, they will improve their product). Canadian airfares are high, both for international and domestic flights: $400 for a one-way, 42-minute flight between Montreal and Ottawa, $600 if you want to book it a week in advance. It is about time some serious competition is starting!

wave46

Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:46 pm

Newbiepilot wrote:
I am seeing an imminent war between Westjet and Air Transat. Westjet is using the 737MAX, 767s and soon the 787. Air Transat is using A330s and soon A321LRs.

With both Westjet and Air Canada flying 737MAX Transatlantic already, Air Transat can’t wait and let them get market share. The A330 may be too big but it is all they have for now. For now the 737MAX and 767s at Westjet are a better option for the smaller markets, but if Westjet gets a hold of too much market share, Air Transat will have an uphill battle once A321s arrive. 345 seat A330s are quite large

Air Transat has a much stronger position in Montreal (and Quebec general) as compared to Westjet. They can fall back on that market.

I'd say that Air Canada Rouge is the bigger worry for AT. AC has a much stronger bilingual workforce and is eating into Transat's sun and European secondary destinations out of Montreal. Westjet and Sunwing are smaller competitors in that market.

If AC starts Rouge in Quebec City, especially on a competing CDG route, that would hurt Air Transat.

Out of Toronto, AT has to face everyone - Rouge, Westjet and Sunwing.

wave46

Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:53 pm

KL001 wrote:
I am sure they are sweating about the thought that Norwegian will soon start flying to Canada, providing much cheaper flights on more comfortable planes (or at least, comparable planes). Hopefully the Canadian airlines will be forced to lower their rates on perhaps some of their most profitable routes, requiring more cost-efficient aircraft such as the A321 (and hopefully, they will improve their product). Canadian airfares are high, both for international and domestic flights: $400 for a one-way, 42-minute flight between Montreal and Ottawa, $600 if you want to book it a week in advance. It is about time some serious competition is starting!

That's why most people drive to Montreal.

Norweigan may not be around to fly to Canada should their financial situation deteriorate further. Oil prices are increasing and their financial position is weak as is. They won't do much to drive down domestic fares either.

I'm not sure if this golden era of low airfare will last. Pilot shortages are adding up, oil prices are climbing and so are interest rates. A lot of the 'fat' has been cut out of ticket prices - seat pitch is smaller, meals are optional and baggage is extra cost. The only upside I see is more efficient planes, but even the rate of efficiency increase is slowing.

DayFreighter

Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:51 pm

KL001 wrote:

I would love to see Porter, or even WS, enter the YOW-YUL market. But evidently it's not worth it as only Air Canada can seem to make it work, likely boosted by connecting traffic.

slcdeltarumd11

Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:16 am

YOW-YUL is probably mostly connecting traffic. It's a very easy drive and city center to city center might be faster by train or driving these days. AC has connections , and that's probably a vast majority of the seats.

Dominion301

Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:37 am

slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
YOW-YUL is probably mostly connecting traffic. It's a very easy drive and city center to city center might be faster by train or driving these days. AC has connections , and that's probably a vast majority of the seats.

YOW-YUL is 98% connecting traffic, of which 90% is connecting at YUL with 10% at YOW. I think AC charges those outrageous fares to essentially discourage O&D traffic given they have zero competition. Last time they did it was Bearskin and they actually reduced one-way local Y fares to $99. Back in the 1980s O&D on YOW-YUL was well over 100k pax per year, nowadays it’s probably more like 5k. Back in the 80s you had ND and CP and AC all competing with only a few dollars in tax on a $49 fare and you could show up to the airport 30 minutes or less before departure.

whywhyzee

Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:55 pm

JoKeR wrote:
Welcome to Belgrade, about time a Canadian airline exercises the newly signed national bilateral agreement between Canada and Serbia.

Only Air Canada and Air Serbia have the rights to serve the route.

jimbo737

Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:18 pm

Try booking 4 seats on WS from YUL or YQB to Paris over the next few days.....

Vladex

Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:47 pm

With A321 NEO they can serve half of Europe from Toronto and half of S. America and almost all of Europe except Greece from Montreal

rutankrd

Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:02 pm

My take remembering many of the A330s are subject to a winter lease and exchange agreement with Thonas Cook/ Condor for 321 capacity in the Northern Winter for the next few years.

So some of these new 321LRs will be used to maintain and perhaps raise frequency a little, especially on the shorter UK and French sectors during the Northern winter where they have struggled in the recent past.

The leased in Thomas Cook 321s could well be deployed on those winter Canada - Caribbean sectors thereby significantly reducing the current potential winter widebody overcapsity .

Vancouver would retain a small number of the Widybodies for flights to Gatwick and longer Caribbean sectors. Toronto might also retain one for Gatwick as well.

Come Northern Summer the returned Widebodies would resume the longer sectors such as Vancouver- Manchester and Toronto/Montreal Central and Southern Europe .
The 321LR s retained on the UK and Eire routes from the likes of Dublin, Manchester and Glasgow at increased frequency whilst seasonal services to places such as Birmingham Dusseldorf and Nante could be reinstated.

The reduced Caribbean programme during the Northern Summer would also be adequately maintained with the 321LRs during this time frame.

Add in the annual Hajj leases undertaken with the A330 fleet and they may well have a plan to effectively manage the widebody fleet demand viz capacity issue quite efectively.

ryan78

Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:12 pm

rutankrd wrote:
Add in the annual Hajj leases undertaken with the A330 fleet and they may well have a plan to effectively manage the widebody fleet demand viz capacity issue quite efectively.

Transat hasn't done Hajj flights in almost 5 years so that is all but irrelevant. Their main goal is to have fleet comonality with an all airbus fleet to reduce costs and the A321 will help bridge the gap with seasonal demand for Europe in the winter and the Caribbean in the summer.

Also remember Transat has taken on 6 new airplanes this year, 2 of the Thomas Cook A320 leases, 2 ex Aeroflot A321's which are both now in service as well as 2 A330's, GUBL & GUBT which should be in service shortly. They have been growing their widebody fleet by 2 A330's every year for the last 3 years.

Newbiepilot

Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:26 pm

Vladex wrote:
With A321 NEO they can serve half of Europe from Toronto and half of S. America and almost all of Europe except Greece from Montreal

Beyond the Caribbean, I don’t know how much of a market the A321LR would have to South America for Air Transat. Colombia, Peru etc all have significant cargo demand. I think widebodies makes more sense. The A321LR can’t take much if any cargo over those routes. charter or leisure carriers like Air Transat don’t have consistent frequency that is as attractive as what Air Canada/Rouge offer freight forwards. I would expect the A321LRs to be used to the Caribbean to compete with Sunwing in the winter and competing with Rouge and Westjet to Europe in the summer. Air Transat has leased on 737-800s for the Caribbean and the A321LR would work perfect for those flights.

YYZatcboy

Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:33 am

Newbiepilot wrote:
Vladex wrote:

Beyond the Caribbean, I don’t know how much of a market the A321LR would have to South America for Air Transat. Colombia, Peru etc all have significant cargo demand. I think widebodies makes more sense. The A321LR can’t take much if any cargo over those routes. charter or leisure carriers like Air Transat don’t have consistent frequency that is as attractive as what Air Canada/Rouge offer freight forwards. I would expect the A321LRs to be used to the Caribbean to compete with Sunwing in the winter and competing with Rouge and Westjet to Europe in the summer. Air Transat has leased on 737-800s for the Caribbean and the A321LR would work perfect for those flights.

When I worked for C6 during heavy winter season we were flying to PTY from YYZ/YUL almost daily with the 738. When I left they were about to launch Colombia. This was all Transat flying, so I would not rule out the Transat narrow bodies from hitting northern South America.
DH1/3/4 MD11/88 L1011 A319/20/21/30/50/80 717 727 735/6/7/8/9 744 762/3 77E/W 788/789 E40/75/90 CRJ/700/705 CC150
J/S DH8D 736/7/8 763

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos