Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

GSP psgr
Topic Author

Odds of IB Restarting IAD-MAD?

Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:19 am

Iberia axed IAD back in 2010 and moved the service to Los Angeles. Looking at Iberia's current North American routes, I find myself thinking that Washington would be the next logical add even if only on a seasonal basis. There is a large OW frequent flyer base in Washington because of the AA hub at DCA. This wasn't true back when it was cancelled in 2010, it's clearly something to build off of. United doesn't fly the route year round, and isn't terribly entrenched. There's lttle to no feed on the Madrid end for Star; TAP doesn't do IAD and IB could have success feeding secondary destinations on the Iberian peninsula. Also, I think IAD is the largest BA station without MAD service; IB could take over flows to the Iberian Peninsula and the Med, freeing up O&D seats to LHR.

Given all of that, odds?

stl07

Re: Odds of IB Restarting IAD-MAD?

Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:26 am

maybe level to BWI
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

RainerBoeing777

Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:39 am

stl07 wrote:
maybe level to BWI

would be a good option British Airways flies to Baltimore (BWI), could be a flight BCN - BWI, and several IAG airlines fly to IAD and BA sometimes uses the A380 to integrate IB into IAD would generate as overcapacity
CX - JL - LH - KE - KL - SQ - QR - QF - TG

LupineChemist

Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:59 am

I'd say fairly likely as they get more aircraft for growth.

YYZ may be first in N. America, though.

Going east I could see DOH influenced by QR so they can get more feed into the airport without touching bilaterals.

KUL could work but it would be a strange route where the non-stop would be far less profitable than connections for Spanish business around SE Asia.

I could also see ICN as both Madrid and Seoul are huge in the engineering and construction contractor sector.

Luisvalero

Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:03 am

Logical adds:

-YZZ
-USA: PHL, IAD, IAH?
-GDL
-VVI
-ASU
-Lot of african routes with smaller aircraft (ACC, ABJ, LOS, DLA etc)
-SIN
-ICN
-PEK
-BOM

chepos

Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:15 pm

Luisvalero wrote:
Logical adds:

-YZZ
-GDL
-VVI
-ASU
-SIN
-ICN
-PEK
-BOM

AA already operates PHL-MAD, no need for added frequency. I can see YYZ coming online.
Fly the Flag!!!!

Kadish

Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:09 pm

Luisvalero wrote:
Logical adds:

-YZZ
-GDL
-VVI
-ASU
-SIN
-ICN
-PEK
-BOM

With the new 321lr I think IB should start to build their African network and eat a big portion of AF,KLM...cake.
I do see IAD again with the new 321lr but not IAH...
In Asia they must open something in India n China and go daily to Japan before opening ICN,KUL....

dcajet

Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:38 pm

Luisvalero wrote:
Logical adds:
-VVI
-ASU

There is no way that these cities can support Iberia service to Madrid in addition to UX in ASU and UX & OB in VVI. It'd be a blood bath for all parties. Heck, ASU could not even support UX service to MAD profitably on its own and the tag to COR had to be introduced.
Keep calm and wash your hands.

Aisak

Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:39 pm

GSP psgr wrote:
There is a large OW frequent flyer base in Washington because of the AA hub at DCA. This wasn't true back when it was cancelled in 2010, it's clearly something to build off of. United doesn't fly the route year round, and isn't terribly entrenched.

Back then, independent AerLingus was operating DUB-IAD and MAD-IAD on behalf of United. Of course it wan't the ideal scenario for IB, and the financial crisis didn't help for sure, but now the route could be all for themselves

GSP psgr wrote:
There's lttle to no feed on the Madrid end for Star; TAP doesn't do IAD and IB could have success feeding secondary destinations on the Iberian peninsula.

Just one problem with this. If you want to take advantage of connections beyond MAD, that means IAD is your origin or destination. IAD-MAD and IAD-MAD-beyond could be great for government traffic but, I think US governement staff are required to fly on US airlines whenever possible.
And boarding a UA aircfraft for IAD-FRA-whatever wins IB on IAD-MAD or IAD-MAD-whatever. Should AA operate the route with a 757 would be another story though

GSP psgr wrote:
Looking at Iberia's current North American routes

Not even IB's, but Madrid's US routes is now double the size it was 10 years ago, thanks or not to the IB-BA-AA JBA.

MAD-BOS
MAD-DFW
MAD-LAX
MAD-SFO
MAD-CLT
MAD-PHL (changed from US Star to AA ow)

Maybe DC market in particular and US in general is just well covered from these routes and classic MIA ORD JFK, so they don't see the need to re-open that non-stop route

usflyer msp

Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:53 pm

I see AA launching it with a 75L as part of the JV before I see IB operating A321s transatlantic.

Aisak

Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:15 pm

Luisvalero wrote:
Logical adds:

Lots of them are quite logical but the whole IAG lack widebodies to expand:
    BA is borrowing some from QR because of the 787 RR fiasco.
    IB is operating 2 332 for level at BCN .
    And now 2x332 more are taking over the past EC operation at ORY rebranded as level.
    DUB should have become by now the great hub for the US from the UK regions but no aircraft......and it seems MAD has more traffic...

Kadish wrote:
With the new 321lr I think IB should start to build their African network and eat a big portion of AF,KLM...cake.
I do see IAD again with the new 321lr but not IAH...
In Asia they must open something in India n China and go daily to Japan before opening ICN,KUL....

I guess the 321NEO for Long Range can't come soon enough. They could be great for AerLingus over the Atlantic and Iberia for Central Africa. But they must have a propper layout:
    Propper Biz class seats like the ones on BA midhaul 321s.
    No more Business Club seat, althought 8 (2 rows) could be installed just past Business as a sort of Y+ "Economy club".
    Airbus Spaceflex solution to have two toilets and one small galley at the rear.
    Replace one of the current toilets by a galley and you have 3 rear toilets and two half galleys

If those frames can seat 180ish passengers they could even be used for MAD-BOS / DUB-BOS to free up aircrafts

asuflyer05

Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:47 pm

Considering UA has a hub at IAD and only runs a 757 seasonally on the route I'd say its more likely to see Level IAD-BCN before IB/AA operating IAD-MAD. Plus connecting in MAD is terrible.

Kadish

Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:41 pm

asuflyer05 wrote:
Considering UA has a hub at IAD and only runs a 757 seasonally on the route I'd say its more likely to see Level IAD-BCN before IB/AA operating IAD-MAD. Plus connecting in MAD is terrible.

Ive had tons of connections in MAD and it’s always smooth n quick.

Jayafe

Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:44 pm

asuflyer05 wrote:

There is 0 yield in BCN for a Level connection, which is mainly focused in diaspora and touristic LCC travellers. For such market IAD is unattractive, and with the current lack of deliveries to the IAG brands, a waste of resources.

PD: I add that connecting in MAD is one the best places to do so in Europe.

nomorerjs

Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:25 pm

IAH is a * Hub, do doubtful they would start it.

2travel2know2

Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:59 am

Washington (DC) / Maryland market might do well even with IB wide-body flying MAD-BWI instead of MAD-IAD.
UA has little or no feed at MAD but it has B757 to fly IAD-MAD year around if it wants to do it.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

LupineChemist

Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:19 am

Aisak wrote:
Just one problem with this. If you want to take advantage of connections beyond MAD, that means IAD is your origin or destination. IAD-MAD and IAD-MAD-beyond could be great for government traffic but, I think US governement staff are required to fly on US airlines whenever possible.

With some friends that do a lot of government travel. The requirement is that it is marketed by a US carrier. There is no requirement that it has to be operated by that carrier and so the JV can come in very handy by just booking it via the AA number.