Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
Cointrin330
Posts: 1993
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:23 pm

Re: UA S18 Departures By Hub And Aircraft Type

Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:17 am

STT757 wrote:
FSDan wrote:
STT757 wrote:

UA still handles more passengers, thanks to their mainline flying and especially their wide body flights. UA has 41 daily wide body flights, the biggest being the 77W, DL has 32 daily wide body flights the largest being the A330. The majority of UA's wide body flights are 777s, the majority of DL's are the smaller 763.


I just ran some numbers, and if you include ops from all three major NYC airports (EWR, LGA, JFK) DL actually offers more total seats than UA. On 7/23, DL is offering around 61500 seats and UA is offering around 59100.

If UA has better loads than DL, they might still carry more passengers overall. Also, it may be that UA's network ex EWR is less seasonal than DL's from JFK, so UA might offer more seats on a year round basis than DL does. I expect UA is definitely ahead of DL when looking at ASMs given that they have a fair number of flights to India and East Asia, which DL doesn't have. However, it is a bit unfair to say that the majority of DL's widebody flights are on the 763. Only 10 out of 32 are on the 763, with everything else being on the larger 764, 332, and 333. UA does still operate larger widebody aircraft from NYC than DL does on average.


It's not just passengers, UA handles more cargo.

UA has been up gauging EWR, all of their 764s are flying from EWR exclusively, and they've switched FRA, NRT and one of the two daily TLV flights to 77Ws.


EWR-FRA is back to the 772. EWR-BOM goes 77W in November.
 
User avatar
AVENSAB727
Posts: 1394
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:02 am

Re: UA S18 Departures By Hub And Aircraft Type

Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:12 am

Any updates on how UA IAH-SYD is performing? I know it is being adjusted to 4X weekly for the low season then it goes back to daily in October.
Always look on the bright side of Life!
 
ADrum23
Posts: 1789
Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:54 pm

Re: UA S18 Departures By Hub And Aircraft Type

Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:17 am

Matt6461 wrote:
Thanks for putting this together, just saw it via a bump to the DL thread.

As a Chicagoan, the most striking fact is that ORD's AA and UA ops have the lowest percentage of mainline of any the US3's full-service hubs (i.e. longhaul hubs so not including LGA and DCA).

From a pure demographic perspective, it's a little absurd to be using the smallest gauges from the nation's 3rd-largest metro - and the only one with a central location.

I recall with fondness a sense of Chicago pride at having the world's busiest airport for most of my youth. We've lost that distinction since (though can still win in movements), but probably only due to the historical accident of two US3 hubs splitting the O&D market (plus the country's largest LCC hub down the road).

Were AA or UA to eject the other from ORD, we'd certainly see a higher mainline mix with attendant economies of scale for both O&D and connecting pax. ORD's international connectivity would increase as a result (some bump to domestic destinations as well - at least in frequency terms). Given the economies of scale and the persistence of WN at MDW, fares probably wouldn't rise either.

...I realize that's a dream for now... But maybe UA can make an aggressive push to significantly downscale AA's ops. Or maybe AA and UA could come to some ORD-only codeshare where they fly ORD-XXX fives times daily mainline instead of each sending five daily RJ's (and yes I realize there'd be regulatory difficulty with such agreement but antitrust law is flexible enough to allow given demonstration of compelling operating efficiencies).


As a born and raised suburban Chicagoan now living in Nashville, it is pretty pathetic that Chicago has such low % of mainline flights.

One of UA's biggest problems is they don't have a ATL or DFW style hub as their flagship megahub. ORD would be that megahub, but AA is preventing that from happening. UA should be doing whatever is necessary to marginalize and ultimately give AA the boot at ORD (though I understand this is unlikely to happen). I think Chicago/ORD would be better off with an UA megahub (with the large WN MDW presence keeping them in check) rather than a split UA/AA hub operation where neither one can gain a full foothold on all the routes.

ORD lost the world's busiest title due to the lack of investment over the years, and just now they are trying to play catch up. However, I'm pretty confident they'll catch ATL if they implement the entire long term plan in O'Hare 21 (ATL can only grow so much more, it is pretty landlocked).
 
User avatar
cosyr
Posts: 1467
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:23 pm

Re: UA S18 Departures By Hub And Aircraft Type

Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:52 am

It is really cool to see how DEN has grown in the last couple years. Now they are past EWR as UA's 3 busiest hub and a higher percentage mainline than in the past. Also, I know UA has flown widebodies into DEN off and on forever, but now 2 of them are actually flying internationally!

On the other end of the map, IAH has really sunk. It used to be neck and neck with ORD. Don't think UA should have any problems giving up the C North concourse for the terminal D construction. Question is, with the drop in flights, will UA/IAH still have the incentive to do the next phase of construction with terminal B North? Maybe with the price of oil climbing, IAH will benefit. At least, oil dropping is what everyone blamed the draw down in IAH on in the last few years.
 
MIflyer12
Posts: 8048
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: UA S18 Departures By Hub And Aircraft Type

Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:09 pm

ADrum23 wrote:
As a born and raised suburban Chicagoan now living in Nashville, it is pretty pathetic that Chicago has such low % of mainline flights.

One of UA's biggest problems is they don't have a ATL or DFW style hub as their flagship megahub.


CHI traffic is split across UA/AA/MDW. Do you think Chicagoans want the substantially meaningless title of megahub (it might bring a few more destinations) or PRICE COMPETITION?
 
User avatar
STT757
Posts: 14126
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2000 1:14 am

Re: UA S18 Departures By Hub And Aircraft Type

Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:37 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:
As a born and raised suburban Chicagoan now living in Nashville, it is pretty pathetic that Chicago has such low % of mainline flights.

One of UA's biggest problems is they don't have a ATL or DFW style hub as their flagship megahub.


CHI traffic is split across UA/AA/MDW. Do you think Chicagoans want the substantially meaningless title of megahub (it might bring a few more destinations) or PRICE COMPETITION?


I agree, I think it's more beneficial to the community to have three hub carriers vs one.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757
 
User avatar
Matt6461
Posts: 2972
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:36 pm

Re: UA S18 Departures By Hub And Aircraft Type

Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:36 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:
As a born and raised suburban Chicagoan now living in Nashville, it is pretty pathetic that Chicago has such low % of mainline flights.

One of UA's biggest problems is they don't have a ATL or DFW style hub as their flagship megahub.


CHI traffic is split across UA/AA/MDW. Do you think Chicagoans want the substantially meaningless title of megahub (it might bring a few more destinations) or PRICE COMPETITION?


Any settlement that enabled a UA megahub at ORD could - and for regulatory purposes should - require a substantial gate allocation to LCC's. That'd ensure price competition on most routes.

On UA-only routes to smaller cities, the ability to upgauge from CR2's to large RJ'd and/or small mainline should mean profit maximization at a lower price point than currently. It would also mean better connectivity in terms of both destinations and frequency.
 
Midwest2K
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:14 pm

Re: UA S18 Departures By Hub And Aircraft Type

Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:57 pm

It was mentioned in another thread that ORD was AAs 3rd post profitable hub behind DFW and CLT and ahead of MIA and PHL (wasn’t PHL labeled the crown jewel earlier in the year?)

If that’s the case and AA is doing well to major US business markets and LHR, I doubt they will leave. If ORD was that bad, AA could have opted out of gate leases during bankruptcy. Instead, AA kept the gate leases and signed on to expansion.

Built the gates at ORD and see what happens.
 
Okcflyer
Posts: 658
Joined: Sat May 23, 2015 11:10 pm

Re: UA S18 Departures By Hub And Aircraft Type

Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:21 pm

Very interesting statistics, especially with how IAH has evolved over the past several years.

Personally, I don’t understand the fascination with “mainline” vs 70 or 76 seat regional jets. My home airport recently picked up a daily RT to IAH on the A319. Baggage check in, security, and boarding lines are longer. You spend more time on the plane thanks for having to board earlier. Baggage download takes nearly twice as long. I don’t notice a difference in service quality beteeen Skywest, Mesa, our Republic crews compared to mainline FA’s.

I purposely avoid the mainline flight if reasonable though I’ve taken it several times recently (and will again this week) due to time constraints.

For short hops and quick connections (75% of my trips), frequency is critical. I want to be to get to TUL, MCI, OKC, CRP, SAN within 4 hours from the time I park my car at the departing airport. This means 50 minute connections. I want early morning and late evening options. Smaller gauge allows that’s flexibility.

UA does a great job of providing this type of travel through IAH and is the main reason I choose them. While E170/175 are definitely preferred, the schedule matters far more than the seat count of the airplane.

WN has built a loyal following using this methodology as well. Their 73G’s turn just as fast as a UA regional, with the boarding and luggage process being relatively quick and efficient, especially compared to UA Mainline. I would fly WN more than I already do domestically if they flew or had partners into GYE, my wife’s hometown and place we visit 4-6 times per year. UA scores well here with the Copa partnership.

-One man’s story & needs.
 
77H
Posts: 1570
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:27 pm

Re: UA S18 Departures By Hub And Aircraft Type

Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:06 pm

Matt6461 wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:
As a born and raised suburban Chicagoan now living in Nashville, it is pretty pathetic that Chicago has such low % of mainline flights.

One of UA's biggest problems is they don't have a ATL or DFW style hub as their flagship megahub.


CHI traffic is split across UA/AA/MDW. Do you think Chicagoans want the substantially meaningless title of megahub (it might bring a few more destinations) or PRICE COMPETITION?


Any settlement that enabled a UA megahub at ORD could - and for regulatory purposes should - require a substantial gate allocation to LCC's. That'd ensure price competition on most routes.

On UA-only routes to smaller cities, the ability to upgauge from CR2's to large RJ'd and/or small mainline should mean profit maximization at a lower price point than currently. It would also mean better connectivity in terms of both destinations and frequency.


I’m a bit confused by your first comment. If UA were to build up ORD organically (not through a merger or buyout) to a size comparable with AA’s DFW hub or DL’s ATL hub why should regulators get involved and force UA to divest gates? Should AA and DL have to divest gates at their respective mega-hubs? Last I saw DL has some 85% market share out of ATL. Is anyone worried about price competition there?

77H
 
SonomaFlyer
Posts: 2231
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:47 pm

Re: UA S18 Departures By Hub And Aircraft Type

Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:41 pm

This highlights the fact UA is short mainline aircraft and they are refusing to bring small jet flying in-house so are scope choked on E75s. The CR2s frankly are not fun to fly but UA boxed itself in so 50 seaters are here to stay until they either add another narrow body type or bring the flying in-house
 
User avatar
Matt6461
Posts: 2972
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:36 pm

Re: UA S18 Departures By Hub And Aircraft Type

Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:16 am

77H wrote:
Matt6461 wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:

CHI traffic is split across UA/AA/MDW. Do you think Chicagoans want the substantially meaningless title of megahub (it might bring a few more destinations) or PRICE COMPETITION?


Any settlement that enabled a UA megahub at ORD could - and for regulatory purposes should - require a substantial gate allocation to LCC's. That'd ensure price competition on most routes.

On UA-only routes to smaller cities, the ability to upgauge from CR2's to large RJ'd and/or small mainline should mean profit maximization at a lower price point than currently. It would also mean better connectivity in terms of both destinations and frequency.


I’m a bit confused by your first comment. If UA were to build up ORD organically (not through a merger or buyout) to a size comparable with AA’s DFW hub or DL’s ATL hub why should regulators get involved and force UA to divest gates? Should AA and DL have to divest gates at their respective mega-hubs? Last I saw DL has some 85% market share out of ATL. Is anyone worried about price competition there?

77H


I was tacitly assuming that any scenario involving AA dehubbing ORD would take the form of some AA-UA deal, such as cash compensation and/or a hub swap such as giving the DEN hub to AA.
 
ADrum23
Posts: 1789
Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:54 pm

Re: UA S18 Departures By Hub And Aircraft Type

Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:58 am

Okcflyer wrote:
Very interesting statistics, especially with how IAH has evolved over the past several years.

Personally, I don’t understand the fascination with “mainline” vs 70 or 76 seat regional jets. My home airport recently picked up a daily RT to IAH on the A319. Baggage check in, security, and boarding lines are longer. You spend more time on the plane thanks for having to board earlier. Baggage download takes nearly twice as long. I don’t notice a difference in service quality beteeen Skywest, Mesa, our Republic crews compared to mainline FA’s.

I purposely avoid the mainline flight if reasonable though I’ve taken it several times recently (and will again this week) due to time constraints.

For short hops and quick connections (75% of my trips), frequency is critical. I want to be to get to TUL, MCI, OKC, CRP, SAN within 4 hours from the time I park my car at the departing airport. This means 50 minute connections. I want early morning and late evening options. Smaller gauge allows that’s flexibility.

UA does a great job of providing this type of travel through IAH and is the main reason I choose them. While E170/175 are definitely preferred, the schedule matters far more than the seat count of the airplane.

WN has built a loyal following using this methodology as well. Their 73G’s turn just as fast as a UA regional, with the boarding and luggage process being relatively quick and efficient, especially compared to UA Mainline. I would fly WN more than I already do domestically if they flew or had partners into GYE, my wife’s hometown and place we visit 4-6 times per year. UA scores well here with the Copa partnership.

-One man’s story & needs.


I wouldn’t mind more larger regional jets, but it’s just surprising how UA won’t upgauge like it’s competitors and they still rely heavily on 50 seat RJs.
 
ADrum23
Posts: 1789
Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:54 pm

Re: UA S18 Departures By Hub And Aircraft Type

Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:02 am

Matt6461 wrote:
77H wrote:
Matt6461 wrote:

Any settlement that enabled a UA megahub at ORD could - and for regulatory purposes should - require a substantial gate allocation to LCC's. That'd ensure price competition on most routes.

On UA-only routes to smaller cities, the ability to upgauge from CR2's to large RJ'd and/or small mainline should mean profit maximization at a lower price point than currently. It would also mean better connectivity in terms of both destinations and frequency.


I’m a bit confused by your first comment. If UA were to build up ORD organically (not through a merger or buyout) to a size comparable with AA’s DFW hub or DL’s ATL hub why should regulators get involved and force UA to divest gates? Should AA and DL have to divest gates at their respective mega-hubs? Last I saw DL has some 85% market share out of ATL. Is anyone worried about price competition there?

77H


I was tacitly assuming that any scenario involving AA dehubbing ORD would take the form of some AA-UA deal, such as cash compensation and/or a hub swap such as giving the DEN hub to AA.


Why would UA give AA DEN? IMO, that is one of the most convenient and efficient hubs in the country. Force AA out of ORD the old fashioned way, through offering a better product and using your leading position to muscle your way to a larger market share. Already UA is crushing AA on international flying, so decimate then on domestic as well.
 
User avatar
jetblastdubai
Posts: 1956
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:23 am

Re: UA S18 Departures By Hub And Aircraft Type

Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:26 am

Matt6461 wrote:

I was tacitly assuming that any scenario involving AA dehubbing ORD would take the form of some AA-UA deal, such as cash compensation and/or a hub swap such as giving the DEN hub to AA.


I don't think UA would have to compensate or swap anything with AA to get a bigger chunk of ORD. UA is slowing squeezing AA out of some fairly big Int'l markets which by default make AA less competitive as a whole in the market. AA is still a solid competitor domestically so it won't affect every travel dept. or flyer.

AA did close the gap a bit recently with the new stinger gates but you need to look at the long-term opportunities of the two. UA has lots of capacity to add by simply up-gauging the boatload of small regionals as well bringing in some of the new larger 737s as replacements. UA will also be a bigger winner in the new terminal layout years down the road.

AA is getting new mainline as well but they need to spread them over more hubs. UA has fewer hubs and more of their hubs are almost at capacity...SFO, EWR and LAX. That leaves only IAD, ORD, DEN and IAH for UA to spend most of their new lift at. UA has got a fairly good chance of really putting the squeeze on AA at ORD in the next few years at ORD. IMO
 
sldispatcher
Posts: 405
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:55 am

Re: UA S18 Departures By Hub And Aircraft Type

Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:33 am

As a UAL frequent flyer, I have a difficult time with lumping the E170/E175's into the regional category. Onboard, they do not feel like a regional aircraft.
I understand completely that they are operated by a regional carrier. (if you don't say that, some jake leg would be quick to post to that effect).

The first class offering lacks the hot oven and entrees, but I don't really fly for the food.

After that, the differences between the onboard experience between the E170/175 and the Airbus/Boeing offerings starts to dwindle quickly (I would argue it is better all around than most 73*/32* rides in coach).

Looking at those lists with percent of aircraft involving the E170/E175 vs. 2014 shows a DRAMATIC improvement in the reduction of true 50 seat offerings. Their only true recent misstep was the addition of the CRJ-200 flying/replacements. That should have been avoided. Other than that, dramatic change in onboard experience from 2014 to many markets.
 
sldispatcher
Posts: 405
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:55 am

Re: UA S18 Departures By Hub And Aircraft Type

Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:43 am

My real beef is how they have once daily frequencies from Denver. Is it gate capacity restraints or market forces?
 
United1
Posts: 4164
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 9:21 am

Re: UA S18 Departures By Hub And Aircraft Type

Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:53 am

sldispatcher wrote:
My real beef is how they have once daily frequencies from Denver. Is it gate capacity restraints or market forces?


I'm not sure exactly which markets you are talking about so hard to say exactly but gate space in DEN is getting a bit tighter with rebanking and growth. That trend is going to continue until UAs new gates open up in 2020.
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!
 
n2dru
Posts: 192
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:02 am

Re: UA S18 Departures By Hub And Aircraft Type

Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:36 am

77H wrote:
Matt6461 wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:

CHI traffic is split across UA/AA/MDW. Do you think Chicagoans want the substantially meaningless title of megahub (it might bring a few more destinations) or PRICE COMPETITION?


Any settlement that enabled a UA megahub at ORD could - and for regulatory purposes should - require a substantial gate allocation to LCC's. That'd ensure price competition on most routes.

On UA-only routes to smaller cities, the ability to upgauge from CR2's to large RJ'd and/or small mainline should mean profit maximization at a lower price point than currently. It would also mean better connectivity in terms of both destinations and frequency.


I’m a bit confused by your first comment. If UA were to build up ORD organically (not through a merger or buyout) to a size comparable with AA’s DFW hub or DL’s ATL hub why should regulators get involved and force UA to divest gates? Should AA and DL have to divest gates at their respective mega-hubs? Last I saw DL has some 85% market share out of ATL. Is anyone worried about price competition there?

77H
....The thing is Delta doesn't have 85% of the market share out of ATL. Ppl seem to forget Southwest still is a significant factor at ATL after the Airtran merger
 
77H
Posts: 1570
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:27 pm

Re: UA S18 Departures By Hub And Aircraft Type

Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:57 am

n2dru wrote:
77H wrote:
Matt6461 wrote:

Any settlement that enabled a UA megahub at ORD could - and for regulatory purposes should - require a substantial gate allocation to LCC's. That'd ensure price competition on most routes.

On UA-only routes to smaller cities, the ability to upgauge from CR2's to large RJ'd and/or small mainline should mean profit maximization at a lower price point than currently. It would also mean better connectivity in terms of both destinations and frequency.


I’m a bit confused by your first comment. If UA were to build up ORD organically (not through a merger or buyout) to a size comparable with AA’s DFW hub or DL’s ATL hub why should regulators get involved and force UA to divest gates? Should AA and DL have to divest gates at their respective mega-hubs? Last I saw DL has some 85% market share out of ATL. Is anyone worried about price competition there?

77H
....The thing is Delta doesn't have 85% of the market share out of ATL. Ppl seem to forget Southwest still is a significant factor at ATL after the Airtran merger


My apologies, 75% with WN making up just 9.2%. No one is calling for DL to divest gates or reduce market share which was the original point of my comment.

77H

77H
 
User avatar
Matt6461
Posts: 2972
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:36 pm

Re: UA S18 Departures By Hub And Aircraft Type

Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:53 pm

jetblastdubai wrote:
I don't think UA would have to compensate or swap anything with AA to get a bigger chunk of ORD. UA is slowing squeezing AA out of some fairly big Int'l markets which by default make AA less competitive as a whole in the market. AA is still a solid competitor domestically so it won't affect every travel dept. or flyer


I think we're talking differences of degree that bleed into differences of type. I realize that UA has a plan and intent to squeeze AA at ORD but to truly build the ATL-style megahub it could have at ORD, UA would have to reduce AA's footprint to focus city or lower.

In another thread AA's CEO is quoted saying that ORD is its 3rd most profitable hub, Asian losses aside. So it seems that UA could inflict a lot of damage on AA before reaching a dynamic where UA has something like a fortress hub at ORD.
 
chicawgo
Posts: 441
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:09 pm

Re: UA S18 Departures By Hub And Aircraft Type

Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:06 pm

I think several people here are underestimating the O&D cred that AA has in Chicago. UA has a very bad image here, especially since the merger. They have improved a bit but, unless you're a high level elite, most Chicagoans don't rave about UA. My company of several thousand has only AA and DL as our preferred airlines. And we're based here in Chicago. And many of my non-avgeek friends will not fly UA unless there's a big price difference. There's been lots of talk about it over the years that AA was more profitable on domestic O&D than UA. And I wouldn't be surprised if that were still the case. Obviously UA is more reliant on connections. Until very recently, there were many important leisure destinations where AA had significantly more available seats than UA (CUN, SJD, PVR to name a few). That shows the O&D that they have here. UA finally realized they need to step up their game to compete. I specifically remember a few winters ago UA had a couple weekly to SJD and AA was daily. And UA had 1-2 daily to CUN and AA was 3. UA has definitely upped its game.
 
User avatar
Matt6461
Posts: 2972
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:36 pm

Re: UA S18 Departures By Hub And Aircraft Type

Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:15 pm

chicawgo wrote:
I think several people here are underestimating the O&D cred that AA has in Chicago. UA has a very bad image here, especially since the merger. They have improved a bit but, unless you're a high level elite, most Chicagoans don't rave about UA. My company of several thousand has only AA and DL as our preferred airlines. And we're based here in Chicago. And many of my non-avgeek friends will not fly UA unless there's a big price difference. There's been lots of talk about it over the years that AA was more profitable on domestic O&D than UA. And I wouldn't be surprised if that were still the case. Obviously UA is more reliant on connections. Until very recently, there were many important leisure destinations where AA had significantly more available seats than UA (CUN, SJD, PVR to name a few). That shows the O&D that they have here. UA finally realized they need to step up their game to compete. I specifically remember a few winters ago UA had a couple weekly to SJD and AA was daily. And UA had 1-2 daily to CUN and AA was 3. UA has definitely upped its game.


Oh I totally agree. I wasn't an avgeek until the last 5 years or so and boycotted UA for nearly a decade thanks to some terrible customer service experiences despite growing up around chicago and frequently travelling back for family stuff. UA still has the worst rep among my friends and family but my impression is these things are fixable within 5 years or so. People remember their last flight best and airlines like Spirit are putting UA to shame in the airline shame department.
 
User avatar
STT757
Posts: 14126
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2000 1:14 am

Re: UA S18 Departures By Hub And Aircraft Type

Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:20 pm

SonomaFlyer wrote:
This highlights the fact UA is short mainline aircraft and they are refusing to bring small jet flying in-house so are scope choked on E75s. The CR2s frankly are not fun to fly but UA boxed itself in so 50 seaters are here to stay until they either add another narrow body type or bring the flying in-house


I agree 100%, the ERJ-175s have proven to be popular with customers and the only way to increase the current fleet is to add a new 100 seat mainline which they should do pronto. Perhaps after Boeing’s deal with Embraer is approved we will see a UA order for the ERJ-195E2.

That said UA has done a much better job with utilization of theor current mainline fleet, the the dozen or so of the second hand A319s are already having an impact. They have 34 More A319s and 55 or so More 737 Max 9 coming on board, with no other planned retirements that will go A Long way to Closing the mainline gap.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757
 
User avatar
STT757
Posts: 14126
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2000 1:14 am

Re: UA S18 Departures By Hub And Aircraft Type

Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:21 pm

sldispatcher wrote:
As a UAL frequent flyer, I have a difficult time with lumping the E170/E175's into the regional category. Onboard, they do not feel like a regional aircraft.
I understand completely that they are operated by a regional carrier. (if you don't say that, some jake leg would be quick to post to that effect).

The first class offering lacks the hot oven and entrees, but I don't really fly for the food.

After that, the differences between the onboard experience between the E170/175 and the Airbus/Boeing offerings starts to dwindle quickly (I would argue it is better all around than most 73*/32* rides in coach).

Looking at those lists with percent of aircraft involving the E170/E175 vs. 2014 shows a DRAMATIC improvement in the reduction of true 50 seat offerings. Their only true recent misstep was the addition of the CRJ-200 flying/replacements. That should have been avoided. Other than that, dramatic change in onboard experience from 2014 to many markets.


I think UA flyers would find a potential ERJ-195E2 just as popular.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757
 
Rdh3e
Posts: 3625
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:09 pm

Re: UA S18 Departures By Hub And Aircraft Type

Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:42 pm

jetblastdubai wrote:
Matt6461 wrote:

I was tacitly assuming that any scenario involving AA dehubbing ORD would take the form of some AA-UA deal, such as cash compensation and/or a hub swap such as giving the DEN hub to AA.


I don't think UA would have to compensate or swap anything with AA to get a bigger chunk of ORD. UA is slowing squeezing AA out of some fairly big Int'l markets which by default make AA less competitive as a whole in the market. AA is still a solid competitor domestically so it won't affect every travel dept. or flyer.

AA did close the gap a bit recently with the new stinger gates but you need to look at the long-term opportunities of the two. UA has lots of capacity to add by simply up-gauging the boatload of small regionals as well bringing in some of the new larger 737s as replacements. UA will also be a bigger winner in the new terminal layout years down the road.

AA is getting new mainline as well but they need to spread them over more hubs. UA has fewer hubs and more of their hubs are almost at capacity...SFO, EWR and LAX. That leaves only IAD, ORD, DEN and IAH for UA to spend most of their new lift at. UA has got a fairly good chance of really putting the squeeze on AA at ORD in the next few years at ORD. IMO

Airlines cannot do this at ORD. The new lease dictates that gates are reallocated by the airport every year based on whether each carrier was above or below the average gate utilization. The only way to get more ORD gates is to grow. No purchase allowed.
 
jetero
Posts: 4673
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:45 am

Re: UA S18 Departures By Hub And Aircraft Type

Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:27 am

UA growing at all hubs for 2018 versus 2017, with LAX surprisingly leading the way, DEN number 2 and IAD and IAH tied for third.

Hub: YOY pct chg in scheduled departing seats 1Q / 2Q / 3Q / 4Q / Full year

LAX 5.3% / 12.9% / 9.2% / 5.4% / 8.2%

DEN: -0.3% / 7.2% / 8.1% / 11.8% / 6.8%

IAD: 3.9% / 2.6% / 5.9% / 11.2% / 5.9%

IAH: 4.1% / 5.8% / 7.5% / 6.3% / 5.9%

EWR: 4.5% / 5.9% / 4.5% / 3.6% / 4.6%

ORD: 5.3% / 4.6% / 2.2% / 6.4% / 4.5%

SFO : 6.2% / 5.4% / 1.5% / -1.3% / 2.8%

4Q shouldn't be treated as final yet.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: aircountry, Aviation737, Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot], bjwonline, Boeing74741R, BrianDromey, Channex757, deceshon85, FlyingDutchyy, Google Adsense [Bot], gpb115, klwright69, MD80MKE, mspeaumsn, Noshow, ntehrani, Phosphorus, SCQ83, sirtoby, tman1uk, tullamarine and 318 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos