janders

Re: David Neeleman Raising Funds for New U.S. Airline

Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:14 pm

An article saying Moxy could target longhaul flying. Bit short of facts, mostly assumptions..

https://simpleflying.com/moxy-airline-l ... l-flights/
"We make war that we may live in peace." -- Aristotle

Blueballs

Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:37 pm

I was just talking to neeleman...turns out he is actually planning on taking this capital to buy back Jetblue and go private.

Varsity1

Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:48 pm

Blueballs wrote:
I was just talking to neeleman...turns out he is actually planning on taking this capital to buy back Jetblue and go private.

In cohorts with the pilots maybe. They want him back.

I wonder if the the pilots will attempt labor action to drop the stock price, Neeleman could then purchase it through a leveraged buy out at a discount Coup de'tat style.
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..

Bradin

Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:32 pm

Blueballs wrote:

I have some hesitations on that because of the amount of capital needed to buy JetBlue at 51%.

There's roughly 300.98 million oustanding shares. At the current price of 17.00/share, David would need to raise $2,558,500,000 USD to have 51% control of the company. A lot of effort!

PanzerPowner

Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:37 pm

Bradin wrote:
Blueballs wrote:

I have some hesitations on that because of the amount of capital needed to buy JetBlue at 51%.

There's roughly 300.98 million oustanding shares. At the current price of 17.00/share, David would need to raise $2,558,500,000 USD to have 51% control of the company. A lot of effort!
I think blueballs would need to slap a '/s' on that.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Well uh, I obviously decided to refine this but i dont know how.

catiii

Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:43 pm

Blueballs wrote:

lol...

And I was just talking to him and he's spinning on figuring out what he wants to do with the airplanes he's bought.

heavymetal

Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:54 pm

Varsity1 wrote:
Blueballs wrote:

In cohorts with the pilots maybe. They want him back.

I wonder if the the pilots will attempt labor action to drop the stock price, Neeleman could then purchase it through a leveraged buy out at a discount Coup de'tat style.

Don't look now, but JetBlue already trades at one of the lower multiples in the industry and is pretty "cheap" by all measures.

lightsaber

GE to finance first 9 Moxie aircraft

Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:52 pm

I found this facinating that GE will help finance Pratt powered aircraft.

https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/arti ... -s-airline

I haven't heard much about Moxie, so the fact they will start hiring is fascinating (late 2019).

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

lavalampluva

Re: GE to finance first 9 Moxie aircraft

Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:58 pm

I applaud his ambition, but i don't know. So many start-ups barely make it out of the gate. (No pun intended)
Remind me to send a thank you note to Mr. Boeing.

OKCDCA

Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:08 pm

I doubt the folks at GE Capital care too much about the type of engines an aircraft has... They’re investment guys making money for their business unit and obviously they thought the terms of this deal were good for them.

Good luck to Mr. Neeleman on this venture, it’s always fun to watch someone try to disrupt an industry set in its ways.

WeatherPilot

Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:21 pm

From Bloomberg, GE Capital Aviation Services to supply first nine airplanes to Moxy.

Also from the article they revealed Neeleman plans to base Moxy near a tech center that is not Silicon Valley. My guess is going to be RDU or GSO. Although IAD does have the capacity and they have a rail link to the city now.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bloomb ... -s-airline

clrd4t8koff

Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:47 pm

WeatherPilot wrote:
From Bloomberg, GE Capital Aviation Services to supply first nine airplanes to Moxy.

Also from the article they revealed Neeleman plans to base Moxy near a tech center that is not Silicon Valley. My guess is going to be RDU or GSO. Although IAD does have the capacity and they have a rail link to the city now.

If he’s looking for a tech center that’s not silicone valley than first choice should be BOS, second AUS and third SLC. I’ve never heard of RDU or GSO being big tech centers. RDU is known for pharma, no?

TWA772LR

Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:48 pm

WeatherPilot wrote:

Austin is ripe for this kind of service. I'd also say Denver but I have a feeling that Neeleman is smart enough to hub/base in one of the most competitive markets in the country.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

seanpmassey

Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:51 pm

clrd4t8koff wrote:
WeatherPilot wrote:

If he’s looking for a tech center that’s not silicone valley than first choice should be BOS, second AUS and third SLC. I’ve never heard of RDU or GSO being big tech centers. RDU is known for pharma, no?

RDU has a pretty large tech scene. Several large IT vendors have a large presence in the area.

milemaster

Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:54 pm

WeatherPilot wrote:

My best guess is Salt Lake City.

dcaproducer

Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:06 pm

WeatherPilot wrote:

Metro to IAD isn't open yet. It was announced last week that it should be ready by next summer at the earliest, but it has been plagued by years of delays.
IAD was one of JetBlue's early "hubs" so he is familiar with the airport.

910A

Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:13 pm

lavalampluva wrote:
I applaud his ambition, but i don't know. So many start-ups barely make it out of the gate. (No pun intended)

The one difference here is that Mr. Neeleman has a track record of success..

Yflyer

Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:13 pm

seanpmassey wrote:
RDU has a pretty large tech scene. Several large IT vendors have a large presence in the area.

At least at the time I lived there IBM was the largest employer in the area by far, although they were shrinking.

If it turns out to be RDU this sounds a lot like Midway 2.0.

EK77WNH

Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:16 pm

An airline that has decided that point-to-point is the way to go really can't set up a 'hub' in the way we've commonly used the term. I have no idea what Moxy is going to be all about, but the time is drawing close for him to come clean with more details.
Next Trip:
JAL 7-8 BOS-NRT-BOS, 787-9
September

RWA380

Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:49 pm

910A wrote:
lavalampluva wrote:

The one difference here is that Mr. Neeleman has a track record of success..

Hence the GE capital financing, he is a success & has been honing his skills for years, I give this a good chance of making it out of the gates & being something competitive, the A-220 is an excellent start.
707 717 720 727-1/2 737-1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9 747-1/2/3/4 757-2/3 767-2/3/4 777-2/3 DC8 DC9 MD80/2/7/8 D10-1/3/4 M11 L10-1/2/5 A300/310/320
AA AC AQ AS BA BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WC WN WP YS 8M

Bradin

Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:58 pm

This is probably a no brainer for GE Aviation. David has a very successful track record. From Morris Air, JetBlue, Azul, and even WestJet (assuming we count him as a founder).

xdlx

Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:09 pm

Moxie will become successful if you do not have to change planes in ATLANTA.....

flyPIT

Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:45 pm

WeatherPilot wrote:

GSO a tech center?!?!

Lets look at the nation's largest major tech centers in no particular order:
SJC - Eliminated
SFO - Capacity issues and lots of competition
SEA - Capacity issues and lots of competition
BOS - Capacity issues and lots of competition
AUS
DEN - Major hub competition
SLC - Major hub competition
IAD - Major hub competition
RDU

So that really leaves only RDU and AUS as major tech centers that have capacity and are not dominated by a major hub carrier. Besides, the other don't fit the profile of "under served smaller markets" that Moxy is said to take advantage of.

Then there are the up and coming tech centers such as IND, PIT, and CMH that more fit the smaller under served profile.
FLYi

WeatherPilot

Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:56 pm

flyPIT wrote:
WeatherPilot wrote:

GSO a tech center?!?!

SJC - Eliminated
AUS
RDU

So that really leaves only RDU and AUS as major tech centers that have capacity and are not dominated by a major hub carrier. Besides, the other don't fit the profile of "under served smaller markets" that Moxy is said to take advantage of.

Then there are the up and coming tech centers such as IND, PIT, and CMH that more fit the smaller under served profile.

He said “near a tech center”. So I was thinking cheaper alternatives.

flyPIT

Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:05 pm

WeatherPilot wrote:

Ok, makes more sense in that context.
FLYi

RickNRoll

Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:26 pm

OKCDCA wrote:
I doubt the folks at GE Capital care too much about the type of engines an aircraft has... They’re investment guys making money for their business unit and obviously they thought the terms of this deal were good for them.

Good luck to Mr. Neeleman on this venture, it’s always fun to watch someone try to disrupt an industry set in its ways.
I bought a Toyota car once with finance by Nissan finance corporation.

WeatherPilot

Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:40 pm

Hopefully Neeleman can keep Moxy afloat. It's expensive being poor, having to finance everything you need to survive.

Erebus

Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:50 pm

OKCDCA wrote:

Well, it is 9 aircraft but even if GE weren't making a lot of money on this, they are betting on this man to succeed and so may want to establish some good business ties early on. Keeps the door open to winning bigger deals in the future if he succeeds big time. Do not forget how he became an important customer of Airbus...

filipinoavgeek

Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:35 am

Am I the only one who thinks A.net seems a bit too bullish on this potential airline? I mean generally the site seems skeptical of startups, regardless of who or which groups are behind them, but for this one, it's been mostly praise and optimism. Not even the analysts sites or industry bloggers like Cranky Flier are that bullish on Moxy (Brett was initially optimistic but seemed to have become more skeptical as time went on).

VS4ever

Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:07 am

flyPIT wrote:
WeatherPilot wrote:

Ok, makes more sense in that context.

and the whole plan is predicated on cheaper airports, I don't think he has any intention on wading into BOS, SEA, SFO...at least at the start, in time who knows, but at the start, it's going to be alternatives near tech centers, for example for AUS think SAT, for BOS think PVD or MHT that sort of thing.
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.

gsoflyer

Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:07 am

flyPIT wrote:
WeatherPilot wrote:

GSO a tech center?!?!

SJC - Eliminated
AUS
RDU

I think's he's meaning close by, as in, an alternative for GSO. RDU is pretty well saturated. I can't imagine it would go there. I'd bet it is AUS. RDU types balk at the 1 hour drive to GSO that they expect people here to drive to RDU. So, I doubt GSO would be in the picture either.

EBT

Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:46 am

GECAS actually finances a wide range of aircraft with non-GE engines nowadays, including a healthy amount of IAE-powered A320 family aircraft. Sure, they support their own product, but first and foremost they act as a bank taking bets on which aircraft they think have a long-term future in the market and will generate acceptable returns. Clearly, the A220 is now in that frame, so it makes sense for them to buy some.

LovePrunesAnet

Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:03 am

WeatherPilot wrote:
flyPIT wrote:
WeatherPilot wrote:

GSO a tech center?!?!

SJC - Eliminated
AUS
RDU

not gonna be successful getting tech workers from RDU to drive to GSO to save a few bucks.

On top of that, there is no room for a big launch of new service by much of anyone at RDU. Friend of mine is in very sr mgmt there. Tells me there has been interest by Lufthansa but that another flight to Europe (not Asia) by a US-based carrier is likely the next development for major new service for them. That RDU runway ribbon cutting should be by 2025. Think he said 2 or 4 more gates in T1 to be activated next AFTER the 4 that are currently being worked on. And POSSIBLY a couple additional gates could be added to T2 before the new runway is ready. Design work already underway for more FIS gates in T2. Passenger forecasts for 2030 have already been realized in 2019. I know one time I flew out of RDU in the past month and the line to get into TSA screening was lined up around the entire perimeter of T2 inside. Looked like holiday travel scene; absolutely crazy. Those folks have a busy airport!

I just don't see RDU taking on Neeleman's new airline. I could be wrong

Bradin

Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:22 am

I'm thinking it will be one of these airports:

Silicon Beach (LAX)
Silicon Desert (PHX or AZA)
Silicon Forest (PDX)
Silicon Hills (AUS)
Silicon Mountain (DEN or COS)
Silicon Prairie (DFW or FTW)

I'm stuck on the value of Silicon Valley itself (SJC).

Jouhou

Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:30 am

PVD? Since its near Boston and he has a thing for Portuguese populations, which RI and southern MA have a lot of.

Blueknows

Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:58 am

ISP will be on the short list. Also looking at potential markets like Toledo,buffalo, and of course the elephant in the room MHT. RDU/AUS/BNA and Lakeland airports. These are emerging markets. AUS is fastest growing city in US. RDU Is pay to play and perfect. You’ll see either BDL/HVN TO LAX or BUR. Airport like SBA/OAK are perfect targets. As we have seen PIT will pay airlines to start service. All possibilities are open. I mean Gary instead of ORD? It’s all about money and market ability

WeatherPilot

Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:25 am

LovePrunesAnet wrote:
not gonna be successful getting tech workers from RDU to drive to GSO to save a few bucks.

On top of that, there is no room for a big launch of new service by much of anyone at RDU. Friend of mine is in very sr mgmt there. Tells me there has been interest by Lufthansa but that another flight to Europe (not Asia) by a US-based carrier is likely the next development for major new service for them. That RDU runway ribbon cutting should be by 2025. Think he said 2 or 4 more gates in T1 to be activated next AFTER the 4 that are currently being worked on. And POSSIBLY a couple additional gates could be added to T2 before the new runway is ready. Design work already underway for more FIS gates in T2. Passenger forecasts for 2030 have already been realized in 2019. I know one time I flew out of RDU in the past month and the line to get into TSA screening was lined up around the entire perimeter of T2 inside. Looked like holiday travel scene; absolutely crazy. Those folks have a busy airport!

I just don't see RDU taking on Neeleman's new airline. I could be wrong

I think Neeleman only needs to do the hub model with this new startup until he acquires enough planes to do PTP to underserved markets like envisioned. So I don’t think he’ll need too much room. I doubt he’s trying to make a mega hub.

Also, ask your friend if they can prod DL to add RDU-SYR. We have F9 to RDU but they only fly it half the year and only like three times a week. Lots of Upstate NY transplants and retirees down there with family and friends still up here.

wrongwayup

Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:41 pm

filipinoavgeek wrote:
Am I the only one who thinks A.net seems a bit too bullish on this potential airline? I mean generally the site seems skeptical of startups, regardless of who or which groups are behind them, but for this one, it's been mostly praise and optimism. Not even the analysts sites or industry bloggers like Cranky Flier are that bullish on Moxy (Brett was initially optimistic but seemed to have become more skeptical as time went on).

I think you're right to be critical of startups in general, but the resumes of the founding team is highly crucial to the success of the operation. David Neeleman has a track record for starting up airlines that is really second to none. The only one that comes close is Indigo Partners, and they're more like turnaround specialists. So if you're betting on dark horses, this is your pick, for sure. GECAS certainly thinks so.

https://www.genewsroom.com/press-releas ... aft-284877

Polot

Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:52 pm

wrongwayup wrote:
filipinoavgeek wrote:

I think you're right to be critical of startups in general, but the resumes of the founding team is highly crucial to the success of the operation. David Neeleman has a track record for starting up airlines that is really second to none. The only one that comes close is Indigo Partners, and they're more like turnaround specialists. So if you're betting on dark horses, this is your pick, for sure. GECAS certainly thinks so.

GECAS LOI shows more confidence towards the A220 than anything about Moxie. If Moxie fails who cares GECAS can lease the planes to someone else. If Moxie successful/gets off the ground great GECAS gets money.

ucdtim17

Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:04 pm

flyPIT wrote:
SJC - Eliminated

OAK is the obvious option in the Bay Area. Fighting just WN instead of WN, AS, and now DL at SJC, and everyone at SFO.

wrongwayup

Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:13 pm

Polot wrote:
wrongwayup wrote:
filipinoavgeek wrote:

GECAS LOI shows more confidence towards the A220 than anything about Moxie. If Moxie fails who cares GECAS can lease the planes to someone else. If Moxie successful/gets off the ground great GECAS gets money.

Not quite how leasing works - it takes a lot of money and time to move an airplane from an airline that goes under - particularly for an aircraft like the A220 that doesn't have a secondary market nor an infrastructure to support changing configurations & specs to a new carrier. And you'll never get in rent for a used airplane what you got when it was new. GECAS has definitely assumed credit risk on this deal - believe me they have entire departments of people looking into this kind of thing.

SQ22

Re: Moxy - News and Discussion Thread

Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:33 pm

It was time for a new thread title, welcome to Moxy - News and Discussion Thread.

In case there is anything wrong with it, please do not reply but use the reporting function.

Miamiairport

Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:59 pm

Neeleman is wading into a very different industry than 20 years ago. He's seems to want to recreate the B6 business model with some differences but how much "cheap chic" can survive? It didn't do well for Virgin America. From press releases he seems to want to have an airline that appeals to the broad traveler, Mint like seats in the front Spirit like seats in the very back of the plane. Doug Parker has attempted that kind of product offering at AA (Wal Mart and Neiman Marcus under one roof) and it's not worked out as well as thought.

He probably has some serious money behind him but setting Moxie aside from the ULCCs and US4 competition isn't going to be easy. B6 had the advantage starting at a vastly under utilized airport in the largest metro area of the country. There's no such airport like that now. Go to a large airport and the competition will trounce you. Go to small underutilized airports will anyone notice or care?

WN732

Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:17 pm

RickNRoll wrote:
OKCDCA wrote:

I bought a Toyota car once with finance by Nissan finance corporation.

Money is money is money is money.

lavalampluva

Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:26 pm

My guess would be a more centralized hub. Not everyone one will want to fly all the way to AUS or RDU to change planes.
Remind me to send a thank you note to Mr. Boeing.

Buffalomatt1027

Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:46 am

Blueknows wrote:
ISP will be on the short list. Also looking at potential markets like Toledo,buffalo, and of course the elephant in the room MHT. RDU/AUS/BNA and Lakeland airports. These are emerging markets. AUS is fastest growing city in US. RDU Is pay to play and perfect. You’ll see either BDL/HVN TO LAX or BUR. Airport like SBA/OAK are perfect targets. As we have seen PIT will pay airlines to start service. All possibilities are open. I mean Gary instead of ORD? It’s all about money and market ability

Buffalo as one of the markets would not shock me ...when b6 started, Buffalo was one of the originally destinations to JFK and that turned out okay! Neeleman might have some trust in the market and building a new airline.

AAflyguy

Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:42 am

ucdtim17 wrote:
flyPIT wrote:
SJC - Eliminated

OAK is the obvious option in the Bay Area. Fighting just WN instead of WN, AS, and now DL at SJC, and everyone at SFO.

What a novel concept, OAK. The Bay Area Airport no one else even mentioned as a possibility, however remote. Seems folks easily forget it is right there in the heart, or just dismiss it altogether as a viable option. I agree that, if it is the Bay Area, OAK makes a ton of sense. It serves about 14M pax annually, many of them on monopoly routes operated by WN that make lots of $$$. Neeleman was at the helm of B6 when OAK was selected as its Bay Area Base with multiple-daily transcons. If not for the birth of VS @ SFO, that would have remained the case for at least a while longer. So Neeleman is very familiar w/OAK. Will be fun to watch this one as the story develops over the course of the next year or so.

AAflyguy

ASA

Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:12 am

Jouhou wrote:
PVD? Since its near Boston and he has a thing for Portuguese populations, which RI and southern MA have a lot of.

Won't that become a bloodbath competition with jetBlue - his 'other love'? :)

lightsaber

Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:00 pm

The more I think about Moxie, the more I think it will succeed. The current airline apps I use (DL, Jet Blue) aren't very useful compared to what I see (yes, I'm an adult who plays games, either emulate the better ones or get out of the way).

WeatherPilot wrote:

I think he is lining up the needed services correctly.

To the poster above who thinks a.net is too bullish, you do realize that while JetBlue trades at a low multiple, they are a well liked airline? Neeleman has a history of success. I look at the ULCC segment and see airlines whose customers dislike the affordable means of travel. If an ULCC can come out that appeals to educated consumers, why wouldn't it do well? Just make it more clear what you are buying! Make it easy to plus up at purchase (bags, carryons, rental car, hotel, and BoB). Spirit, Allegiant, and Frontier do not have loyal customers, so I see a huge market opening.

I like JetBlue, but they need to get cost per unit down (sadly, that means more seats as well as A321s).

If they fly when and where I want, I will certainly try them.
Then again, I see a HUGE opportunity for both the A220 and E2-195 (but not -190 due to pilot cost per unit) to open up North American travel. For example, I see UA just opened COS to LAX on a CRJ. Anecdotal evidence is demand is for more seats per day (a relative flies this route routinely). I see routes like that opened up by Moxie. Maybe not that one, but something similar.

Actually, I bet they stick to Texas and Eastward for their first few years, but that is just my hunch.

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

WPvsMW

Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:19 pm

Moxy... as Amazon Air Pax. IAD as a hub. Independence Air done right.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos