Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

lightsaber

Re: Moxy - News and Discussion Thread

Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:13 pm

ODwyerPW wrote:
It will be interesting to see if Moxy serves the West Coast / SouthWest a bit more than say JetBlue. Have to admit that I'm very curious about this new Airline.

Unlikely. I recall early statements by Neeleman that it was to be more East of the Mississippi at first. There is just a higher density if potential city pairs.

Lightsaber
Winter is coming.

clrd4t8koff

Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:05 pm

I know that "Moxy" is supposed to be a radical airline in the sense that a lot of the customer service functions will be automated through the app, but with their plan to start ops in 2020 they must be hiring for other roles that will need manpower. I can't find a website, so was curious if anyone knows where they might be potentially advertising open positions?

drdisque

Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:40 pm

Yes, to start in 2020 they will have to start recruiting pilots, schedulers, displatchers, revenue management/pricing, fleet/maintenance/crew planning, distribution (unless they plan to only sell on their website), and IT (I suppose they could outsource most of the IT). They will also need someone to set up FA training and recruiting before they start actually hiring FA's so that would need to start soon as well.

redzeppelin

Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:07 am

clrd4t8koff wrote:
marcoj wrote:

Interesting to see that post is coming out of Utah. Is that where the new airline is going to be based?

Not just Utah, but Cottonwood Heights, the very same suburb where the JetBlue office is located. I would also mention that Navitaire (Amadeus subsidiary serving LCCs) has a sizable office in the same business park as JetBlue.

RollerRB211

Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:50 am

redzeppelin wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:
marcoj wrote:

Interesting to see that post is coming out of Utah. Is that where the new airline is going to be based?

Not just Utah, but Cottonwood Heights, the very same suburb where the JetBlue office is located. I would also mention that Navitaire (Amadeus subsidiary serving LCCs) has a sizable office in the same business park as JetBlue.

Moxy has office space in the same complex.

11C

Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:58 pm

CobaltScar wrote:
I'm curious to see what they will be paying their employees and what their work rules are. Its easy to make money when you pay bottom of the barrel and push work rules to the FAA limits.

Then your work force Unionizes and then you start looking for a buyout/merge. Nothing new under the sun. Hopefully the existing airlines strangle this in its crib. Its the airline equivalent of a scab or a legal way to create a "B" pay scale (those hired later are put onto a entirely different and cheaper payscale).

I don’t think it’s much of a mystery. It will be at, or near the bottom of the industry. I would expect that they will try to offset the low pay/inferior work rules by issuing stock options, at least Neeleman did with JetBlue. As to the “scab” equivalency, I think that has been hashed out endlessly on other forums. It’s exceedingly clear what a scab is. A pilot at a startup in these circumstances is not a scab, and is not working on a true “B-scale” wage. B-scales are pretty well eliminated in ALPA contracts these days. I think SWAPA has even better protections than many ALPA contracts. I’m not sure about APA. You are right, nothing new here. I think it’s just important not to sling around terms such as scab, and b-scale imprecisely. Those terms have specific meanings and ALPA has weighed in on this exact issue many times. Moxy will have to hire pilots, and nobody has a higher sense of self preservation than a pilot. They will end up with a union in the end because no management group will ever willingly agree to an industry standard contract. My prediction, anyway...

CobaltScar

Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:25 pm

https://www.areadevelopment.com/newsIte ... utah.shtml

"Breeze" airlines? And looks like Salt Lake City where is coreligionists are.

slcdeltarumd11

Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:22 pm

Salt lake City is the headquarters but I don't think they plan on fighting Delta head on too too much. JetBlue and Southwest both tried and retrenched to core . Delta bites on protecting fortress hubs and is pumping alot of it's own money into the new SLC airport. Good place to headquarters but I bet we see other cities be larger airport stations quickly.

Not the worst thing for delta I see Moxy buying lots of delta tickets coming up setting up all these stations, hiring, and research visits etc.

jetmatt777

Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:33 pm

Breeze? Oof. Moxy was better.

JayWings

Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:00 pm

jetmatt777 wrote:

Agreed... Breeze feels like a fake, generic airline from a movie. Hopefully this isn’t the final name.

joeljack

Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:22 pm

jetmatt777 wrote:

Breeze? Yuk!

I loved Moxy!

SierraPacific

Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:26 pm

From the article, it sounds like Breeze is also not the final name

"Breeze Aviation plans to unveil an as-yet-unnamed low-cost carrier in the new year which will provide flyers with convenient non-stop service from secondary airports."

werdywerd

Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:16 pm

"Breeze Aviation" is probably the Parent Company of the Future "Moxy" Airline

ibthebigd

Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:54 pm

Could Provo or Ogden get flights to serve SLC area?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

redzeppelin

Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:09 am

ibthebigd wrote:
Could Provo or Ogden get flights to serve SLC area?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

PVU just broke ground on a new terminal, and they seem to be in a big hurry to get it done. Maybe a coincidence, maybe not.

USAirKid

Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:20 pm

I believe Neeleman's latest venture has been called Breeze since the beginning, its just the more public name has been Moxy.

Just remember that Jetblue was going to be called Taxi before it launched.

Fex180

Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:26 pm

They can't keep the name Moxy, yes? It's trademarked by a hotel chain

T4thH

Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:05 pm

Fex180 wrote:

Correct. So "Moxy" is just a project/working name.

UPNYGuy

Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:56 pm

USAirKid wrote:
I believe Neeleman's latest venture has been called Breeze since the beginning, its just the more public name has been Moxy.

Just remember that Jetblue was going to be called Taxi before it launched.

True about B6. The fleet would have also been yellow. Wonder if they would have somewhat resembled the Spirit fleet. Like them or not, that NK yellow sure stands out. It is one of the more distinct liveries. This idea was abandoned due to not wanting to be associated with taxi cabs to the NY locals.

ironyClad

Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:33 pm

Fex180 wrote:

I am not an attorney, but I believe the restrictions in the U.S. are more or less: within the same industry, you cannot use the same product or company name, nor can you use it in such a way that causes consumers to confuse the two products or companies even if they are not within the same industry.

That said, the consensus seems to be that the name is temporary. But, I don't personally think that the hotel chain is a primary consideration for the name change. If they used the same font or logo, perhaps that would be problematic, but the two industries seem distinct enough to make an argument for the two to exist separately without substantial confusion.

jetmatt777

Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:36 pm

ironyClad wrote:
Fex180 wrote:

I am not an attorney, but I believe the restrictions in the U.S. are more or less: within the same industry, you cannot use the same product or company name, nor can you use it in such a way that causes consumers to confuse the two products or companies even if they are not within the same industry.

That said, the consensus seems to be that the name is temporary. But, I don't personally think that the hotel chain is a primary consideration for the name change.

That is correct. Type in Frontier on google and sde what comes up. Also, type in frontier.com and see what comes up.

mga707

Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:37 am

ironyClad wrote:
Fex180 wrote:

That said, the consensus seems to be that the name is temporary. But, I don't personally think that the hotel chain is a primary consideration for the name change. If they used the same font or logo, perhaps that would be problematic, but the two industries seem distinct enough to make an argument for the two to exist separately without substantial confusion.

Different spelling, but the soft drink Moxie is still around as well. Produced by the Moxie Beverage Company of Bedford NH, which was acquired by Coca-Cola in 2018. The drink, originally a patent medicine, has been around since the 1870s.

USAirKid

Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:36 am

mga707 wrote:
ironyClad wrote:
Fex180 wrote:

Different spelling, but the soft drink Moxie is still around as well. Produced by the Moxie Beverage Company of Bedford NH, which was acquired by Coca-Cola in 2018. The drink, originally a patent medicine, has been around since the 1870s.

I'm not a lawyer, but I've spent a bit of time understanding the basics of trademark law. The soft drink isn't a problem since it is in a different industry than the airline.

The hotel chain could potentially be an issue for trademark law, as a hotel and an airline are different industries, but I'm sure Moxy (the airline) will probably want to sell hotel reservations on their website and app, and I expect that Moxy (the hotel) won't like that as its clearly in the same industry.

However, I just looked up one trademark for American Airlines and it is in the same category as one trademark for Motel 6. I'd guess that the airline sharing the same name as the hotel is probably something a lawyer would recommend against.

jplatts

Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:52 am

seat1a wrote:
I read about possible Moxy markets, SEA-JAX, AUS-BOS, but those former appears more long and thin than the latter.

I have previously mentioned AS adding SEA-JAX nonstop service being a possibility with JAX being one of the top destinations that AS doesn't currently serve nonstop from SEA. There is also likely enough O&D between SEA and JAX to support nonstop service to JAX on AS as the PDEW of SEA-JAX was 110 passengers per day in Q2 2019. AS also has an established FF base in the SEA market to support SEA-JAX nonstop service.

Moxy would also face the possibility of a competitive response from AS or DL in the SEA market if it adds SEA-JAX nonstop service, whereas AS operates some nonstop routes out of SEA that do not have nonstop competition. AS adding SEA-JAX nonstop service might also happen anyway, even if SEA-JAX nonstop service isn't added by Moxy.

AUS-BOS already has nonstop service on DL, WN, and B6, and AA will also be operating AUS-BOS nonstop service starting on April 7, 2020. There is no need for Moxy to add AUS-BOS nonstop service as AUS-BOS already will have plenty of nonstop service with DL, WN, B6, and AA all serving BOS nonstop from AUS.

seat1a

Moxy Route Predictions

Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:11 am

The discussion about Southwest routes and strategy in the Northeast, and comments about SEA-JAX and a possible match-up between Alaska and Moxy on a route like that, got me thinking about Moxy and it's network.

Anyone venture a prediction of routes when they launch? PVD-LAX? BUR-ORD? FTW-EWR?

Ishrion

Re: Moxy Route Predictions

Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:16 am

SLC-FTW

nine4nine

Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:14 pm

https://thepointsguy.com/news/jetblue-f ... n=facebook

Looks like “Moxy/Breeze” is starting to heat the pan as they ink deal to sublease up to 28 E195s from Azul to get service up and going until the 220’s arrive.
717, 727-100, 727-200, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 742, 748, 752, 753, 762, 763, 772, 77W, 787-10, DC9, MD80/88/90, DC10, 319, 220-300, 320, 321, 321n, 332, 333, CS100, CRJ200, Q400, E175, E190, ERJ145, EMB120

EMBSPBR

Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:58 pm

nine4nine wrote:
Looks like “Moxy/Breeze” is starting to heat the pan as they ink deal to sublease up to 28 E195s from Azul to get service up and going until the 220’s arrive.

How ironic ...

dtremit

Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:49 pm

ironyClad wrote:
Fex180 wrote:

Trademarks are by category -- and Marriott's trademark explicitly covers "Transport of passengers and of goods; packaging and storage of goods; ground transportation services, namely, bicycle rental, car rental, and ground transportation of passengers by car, limousine, van or bus; travel agency services, namely, arranging, making reservations for and taking bookings for transportation of passengers and goods, arranging of transport for travelers holidays, and booking of travel tickets; management services, namely, arranging and organizing transportation for vacation travelers."

HNLSLCPDX

Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:26 am

I think a lot of potential airports that are being mentioned and listed here on a.net that Moxy/Breeze could potentially fly to are located in the midwest or east coast. I think they will also have a focus on mountain west states and on the west coast as well, especially with their HQ's being located in SLC. I think airports such as RDM, PVU, ONT, OAK, SBP, FAT, SGU, BOI, AZA, SMF, and SAN are prime candidates for the airline to potentially fly into.

seat1a

Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:41 am

HNLSLCPDX wrote:
I think a lot of potential airports that are being mentioned and listed here on a.net that Moxy/Breeze could potentially fly to are located in the midwest or east coast. I think they will also have a focus on mountain west states and on the west coast as well, especially with their HQ's being located in SLC. I think airports such as RDM, PVU, ONT, OAK, SBP, FAT, SGU, BOI, AZA, SMF, and SAN are prime candidates for the airline to potentially fly into.

Interesting list of cities. Would they fly between them or to larger markets?

HNLSLCPDX

Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:51 am

seat1a wrote:
HNLSLCPDX wrote:

I mostly see them doing routes such as SAN-PVU/RDM/BOI/SMF or ONT-BOI/PVU/RDM or OAK-SGU/AZA/RDM/PVU,etc. type routes. At the same time I could also easily see routes such FAT-PSC, PVU-SBP, etc.

HNLSLCPDX

Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:05 am

Ishrion wrote:
SLC-FTW

Interesting. I could see them making FTW a focus city. With that I could see them doing things such as FTW-AZA/PVU or SLC/SAN/GSO/SWF/OAK/RDM/FAT/etc.

seat1a

Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:32 am

HNLSLCPDX wrote:
Ishrion wrote:
SLC-FTW

Interesting. I could see them making FTW a focus city. With that I could see them doing things such as FTW-AZA/PVU or SLC/SAN/GSO/SWF/OAK/RDM/FAT/etc.

FTW to larger markets in the cards? Say FTW-ORD/LGA/IAH/LAX?

SkyVoice

Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:49 am

I predict that Moxy and/or Breeze will be fully funded, fully staffed, have all necessary government approvals & be airborne by Christmas.

Note that I did not predict which year! :biggrin:
"Blessed is he who can laugh at himself, for he shall never cease to be amused."

lessredtape

Re: Breeze - News and Discussion Thread

Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:48 am

just got this ....

27-Jan-2020 11:08 AM
David Neeleman’s Breeze airline launch: is 2020 feasible?

https://centreforaviation.com/analysis/ ... 0-Jan-2020

SkyVoice

Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:55 am

lessredtape wrote:
just got this ....

. . . is 2020 feasible?

Good eye, lessred! If I'm reading that article right, it appears that either Mr. Neeleman or someone on the inside of Breeze got overexcited & leaked it out that the new airline might begin flying by the end of 2020. There should have been a strict embargo on anything like that! :banghead: He / She / They should get back on the same page & take the time necessary to do this startup right.
"Blessed is he who can laugh at himself, for he shall never cease to be amused."

lessredtape

Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:34 am

starts ups in USA seem to take an enormous amount of time. In Australia, even with all our bureacracy(the most per person in the world I think), it doesn't take that long.

Blerg

Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:29 pm

lessredtape wrote:
starts ups in USA seem to take an enormous amount of time. In Australia, even with all our bureacracy(the most per person in the world I think), it doesn't take that long.

I don't think it's so much about bureaucracy as is about the aviation market in the US being the way it is. I mean jetBlue is the last successful airline startup and they took off 21 years ago! Since then no one made it so Breeze is probably making sure they do their homework so they don't end up like all the other ones.

F9Animal

Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:05 pm

I am too lazy to go back and look at 11 pages. Is Breeze going to be the name of the new airline? I think it's pretty awesome. I can see pretty good marketing opportunities with that name. Making flying a breeze.
I Am A Different Animal!!

aemoreira1981

Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:27 pm

nine4nine wrote:
https://thepointsguy.com/news/jetblue-founders-new-us-airline-to-launch-with-azul-e-jets/?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_term=Editorial&utm_content=003C1EF8-41F7-11EA-863A-2009933C408C&utm_campaign=facebook

That is directly dependent on how many LOT Polish Airlines intends to sublease from Azul. (All of their E195s are now leased in preparation for exiting the fleet.) LOT will use that to replace older planes in its fleet. LOT has priority over Breeze, and Breeze might see as few as 21 (it's guaranteed at least 21).

lessredtape

Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:25 pm

F9Animal wrote:
I am too lazy to go back and look at 11 pages. Is Breeze going to be the name of the new airline? I think it's pretty awesome. I can see pretty good marketing opportunities with that name. Making flying a breeze.
yes great name. Much better than Moxy.

Think Neeleman has hit the right target. Big airports in USA are such an ugly mess. Try to avoid as much as possible.

Recently had misfortune of fly AA into Denver. For some reason, 10 AA flights baggage all went to 1 carosel. What a shit fight, while others sat unused just next door.

One bag arrived almost immediately. Had to push through 1000 people to get it.

jetmatt777

Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:09 pm

lessredtape wrote:
F9Animal wrote:
yes great name. Much better than Moxy.

Think Neeleman has hit the right target. Big airports in USA are such an ugly mess. Try to avoid as much as possible.

Recently had misfortune of fly AA into Denver. For some reason, 10 AA flights baggage all went to 1 carosel. What a shit fight, while others sat unused just next door.

One bag arrived almost immediately. Had to push through 1000 people to get it.

DEN, like most airports, bag claim units are leased. AA can't use UA's, etc.

Varsity1

Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:27 pm

Blerg wrote:
lessredtape wrote:

I don't think it's so much about bureaucracy as is about the aviation market in the US being the way it is. I mean jetBlue is the last successful airline startup and they took off 21 years ago! Since then no one made it so Breeze is probably making sure they do their homework so they don't end up like all the other ones.

Virgin America was founded in 2007.
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..

BlueBaller

Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:35 pm

Varsity1 wrote:
Blerg wrote:
lessredtape wrote:

I think the point being made was the last airline to both start up and survive in its original form. We all know how things turned out for VX

rbavfan

Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:12 pm

ironyClad wrote:
Fex180 wrote:

Or the hotel chain could allow it so they could play off each other and boost both brands cheaper. Need a flight, hey here's a hotel.

rbavfan

Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:59 pm

jplatts wrote:
seat1a wrote:
I read about possible Moxy markets, SEA-JAX, AUS-BOS, but those former appears more long and thin than the latter.

I have previously mentioned AS adding SEA-JAX nonstop service being a possibility with JAX being one of the top destinations that AS doesn't currently serve nonstop from SEA. There is also likely enough O&D between SEA and JAX to support nonstop service to JAX on AS as the PDEW of SEA-JAX was 110 passengers per day in Q2 2019. AS also has an established FF base in the SEA market to support SEA-JAX nonstop service.

Moxy would also face the possibility of a competitive response from AS or DL in the SEA market if it adds SEA-JAX nonstop service, whereas AS operates some nonstop routes out of SEA that do not have nonstop competition. AS adding SEA-JAX nonstop service might also happen anyway, even if SEA-JAX nonstop service isn't added by Moxy.

AUS-BOS already has nonstop service on DL, WN, and B6, and AA will also be operating AUS-BOS nonstop service starting on April 7, 2020. There is no need for Moxy to add AUS-BOS nonstop service as AUS-BOS already will have plenty of nonstop service with DL, WN, B6, and AA all serving BOS nonstop from AUS.

So SEA-JAX is one of the top destinations not served by AS in the first sextence & then you not in the second one it does not have the PDEW to support NS service. So I think it's probably a route you want & not a top destination. The PDEW shows that.

rbavfan

Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:03 pm

Varsity1 wrote:
Blerg wrote:
lessredtape wrote:

Yes & they were loosing money for the most part. Note "last successful" airline startup.

WaywardMemphian

Re: David Neeleman Raising Funds for New U.S. Airline

Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:04 pm

Flighty wrote:
The airports are certainly there. The US has a staggering number of quality, under-utilized secondary airports.

Is the business case there? Possibly, but it would have to be along some sort of new business model, with people downloading an app and voting for flights or something. Not saying impossible, just saying we don't currently know a business model that works at secondary airports beyond what Allegiant is doing.

I look at Memphis and I dont seir as a potential hub but a rest area. It has business traffic but doesn't have the scale to support a daily to far flung coastal cities like Seattle or San Diego. Same goes for a place like JAX. Both could feasibly do alright with a direct on something small like A223 on heavy traffic days like Fri, Sun, and Mon but no way on Tue and Wed. Breeze can come in fly both markets direct on the power three days and then use Memphis as a brief no plane change stop and maybe grow both to daily directs or just start the one stop service with the E195s to grow the service and jump to some directs when the A223s get plentiful. I can see lots of pairs like this for smaller but healthy airports that need better, more direct service on the coasts with a "partner" city in the middle. But... I'm just a regular guy with fanciful ideas.

rbavfan

Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:29 pm

HNLSLCPDX wrote:
seat1a wrote:
HNLSLCPDX wrote:

I mostly see them doing routes such as SAN-PVU/RDM/BOI/SMF or ONT-BOI/PVU/RDM or OAK-SGU/AZA/RDM/PVU,etc. type routes. At the same time I could also easily see routes such FAT-PSC, PVU-SBP, etc.

SAN will be hard to get into. They expanded and already filled slots.