Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

rbavfan

Re: Breeze - News and Discussion Thread

Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:05 pm

groupguy wrote:
pmanni1 wrote:
groupguy wrote:
think Breeze will be a huge success almost straight away, especially now as labour costs will be a lot less, as millions apply for jobs.

As millions apply for jobs would mean millions aren't working and aren't going to have money for vacations.
not the same millions. Plenty of people will still have holidays. Pent up demand will be high.

National parks are booking up as fast as someone else cancels. So not so many are still traveling.

slcdeltarumd11

Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:23 pm

rbavfan wrote:
groupguy wrote:
pmanni1 wrote:
As millions apply for jobs would mean millions aren't working and aren't going to have money for vacations.
not the same millions. Plenty of people will still have holidays. Pent up demand will be high.

National parks are booking up as fast as someone else cancels. So not so many are still traveling.

Correct RV sales and rentals are at record numbers. Also alot of people are driving their own cars. The national Park surge is not from flying! Those are RV and cars/SUVs. Roadtrips are skyrocketing and national parks are outside destinations people think they can distance from others.

(IATA) announced that passenger demand in May (measured in revenue passenger kilometers or RPKs), dropped 91.3% compared to May 2019. This was a mild uptick from the 94% annual decline recorded in April 2020.

We are far from air travel being back at all. There are just a few full flights because so many are cancelled nut numbers are very low.

F9Animal

Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:58 pm

When 9/11 hit, I was offered a job with JetBlue the day it happened. I turned down the offer. Why? Because I was certain JetBlue would never survive from this. Not to mention, I lost 2 airline jobs because of 9/11.

Those saying this airline has no chance will likely eat their words in a few years. Neeleman is a genius when it comes to new airlines. Breeze will be a successful entrant. I am so confident they will be successful, I will apply to work for them, and even invest if the opportunity comes my way.
I Am A Different Animal!!

elpaviator19

Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:28 am

I hope this airline makes it, Breeze has an awesome logo with a planed mid-sized aircraft fleet. We need more competition in the skies especially in the U.S. The market is controlled by the big three and it would be nice to see a fresh face in the industry. My dream would be to see Breeze, Eastern, Midwest, and Xtra Airways/Houston Air take off or expand by 2021. Obviously there not enough room for all of them but I’m expecting two to sneak by... My best guess is Breeze and Eastern to make it.

Pudelhund

Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:49 am

elpaviator19 wrote:
I hope this airline makes it, Breeze has an awesome logo with a planed mid-sized aircraft fleet. We need more competition in the skies especially in the U.S. The market is controlled by the big three and it would be nice to see a fresh face in the industry. My dream would be to see Breeze, Eastern, Midwest, and Xtra Airways/Houston Air take off or expand by 2021. Obviously there not enough room for all of them but I’m expecting two to sneak by... My best guess is Breeze and Eastern to make it.

Have you heard of Southwest Airlines?

Miamiairport

Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:04 pm

I hope they make it too but this is not 1999. Cheap chic has been tried in this industry and it's been a disaster. So Breeze will either compete with the ULCC space or the legacy space. On the legacy side Breeze won't have any of the benefits of legacy airlines-vast route structure, airline lounges, International partners, etc If Breeze competes with the ULCCs they what do they really bring to the table other than an inferior network. For Breeze to survive and prosper they will need to do something out of the box, maybe a hybrid of Mint experience to Frontier. But it won't be easy to segment on an E195 or even an A220. A fresh face might not sell tickets if they are nothing more than Spirit 2.0 or a DL wannabe.

Blerg

Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:54 pm

Miamiairport wrote:
I hope they make it too but this is not 1999. Cheap chic has been tried in this industry and it's been a disaster. So Breeze will either compete with the ULCC space or the legacy space. On the legacy side Breeze won't have any of the benefits of legacy airlines-vast route structure, airline lounges, International partners, etc If Breeze competes with the ULCCs they what do they really bring to the table other than an inferior network. For Breeze to survive and prosper they will need to do something out of the box, maybe a hybrid of Mint experience to Frontier. But it won't be easy to segment on an E195 or even an A220. A fresh face might not sell tickets if they are nothing more than Spirit 2.0 or a DL wannabe.

From what I know they are going to be linking underserved (or not served) markets where there isn't so much pressure on yields.

elpaviator19

Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:41 pm

Pudelhund wrote:
elpaviator19 wrote:

Southwest is 53 years old... I think it’s tine for a new fave in the industry.

enplaned

Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:43 am

elpaviator19 wrote:
Pudelhund wrote:
elpaviator19 wrote:

Southwest is 53 years old... I think it’s tine for a new fave in the industry.

I think the point was that it's dubious to say the market is controlled by the Big 3 when there's another player that has +/- the same domestic market share - i.e. Southwest. Southwest is financially stronger than the other three and is more likely to survive intact when the Covid crisis is finally over.

Polot

Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:13 am

Pilot/union contracts are with companies, they are not attached to certificates. By buying Compass’s certificate Breeze is under no obligation to take Compass pilots, to pay the same as Compass, have employees be in the same or any union as Compass’s were, nor to follow scope that Compass was under with the majors (technically any regional can break scope and operate larger aircraft...they would just be unable to continue flying on behalf of major).

enplaned

Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:03 pm

Polot wrote:
Pilot/union contracts are with companies, they are not attached to certificates. By buying Compass’s certificate Breeze is under no obligation to take Compass pilots, to pay the same as Compass, have employees be in the same or any union as Compass’s were, nor to follow scope that Compass was under with the majors (technically any regional can break scope and operate larger aircraft...they would just be unable to continue flying on behalf of major).

The misconception (which was mine in the original post above) is that certificates don't have an existence separate and apart from a functioning carrier. You can buy and sell a certificated air carrier, but that carrier can't sell its certificate to a random company and that random company become an airline on the basis of it.

What Breeze is acquiring is manuals, etc. That may help them speed certification of their own, but precedent suggests that recertification is necessary. At least, when Compass paid for the Independence Air manuals there was recertification necessary.]

Such is my understanding, anyway. I should have reflected that in my original post above.

armadillomaster

Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:19 pm

Got to love some of the comments on here....

Airline starts up, run by well established management.

A.net- This is doomed to fail. Blah Blah.

Yeh like Paul from London knows more about setting up an airline than David Neeleman. Facepalms all around me thinks

Polot

Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:22 pm

armadillomaster wrote:
Got to love some of the comments on here....

Airline starts up, run by well established management.

A.net- This is doomed to fail. Blah Blah.

Yeh like Paul from London knows more about setting up an airline than David Neeleman. Facepalms all around me thinks

While I have high hopes for Breeze it is equally as foolish to automatically assume that because Neeleman has a successful track record on start up that Breeze will automatically be a success.

History is riddled with failed companies started by successful businessmen. It is healthy to question aspects of the business model (and I’m sure many of Neeleman’s partners have!), and business models may shift after startup when it is determined that it isn’t panning out like predicted. Complacency leads to failure.

CaptCoolHand

Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:49 pm

The last thing I would do is doubt David Nealman. His track record for success in harsh times of this industry is pretty impeccable. While I'm not a fan of his labor relations, his business savvy is second to none. Breeze will start up and likely be a success in one form or another. How long it lasts is always the question. No one thought jetblue would last, and for two decades now it was on the chopping block for merger/buy out or which carrier was gonna squish it. I understand that past performance doesn't guarantee future results but practice makes perfect.

lightsaber

Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:20 pm

CaptCoolHand wrote:
The last thing I would do is doubt David Nealman. His track record for success in harsh times of this industry is pretty impeccable. While I'm not a fan of his labor relations, his business savvy is second to none. Breeze will start up and likely be a success in one form or another. How long it lasts is always the question. No one thought jetblue would last, and for two decades now it was on the chopping block for merger/buy out or which carrier was gonna squish it. I understand that past performance doesn't guarantee future results but practice makes perfect.

Neeleman has a history of working airlines through tough launches and reforms. JetBlue, Azul, WestJet, and Tap Portugal.

It all depends on how it is done. I see a need for a better, less chaotic Allegiant in the market. Have a clean app for 2x to 3x a week service. Having new aircraft will allow for a different approach to the low frequency model.

When breeze starts (I hope for another name, personally), it will emerge in an improving environment.

Initial execution will be key.

Lightsaber
Winter is coming.

Clipper1975

Re: David Neeleman Raising Funds for New U.S. Airline

Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:25 pm

MapleLeaf789 wrote:
He also helped start Azul and I believe was a part of the Westjet story when it was coming to fruition.

He clearly likes building blocks.

Yes, he's the "father" of AZUL here in Brazil !

Miamiairport

Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:56 pm

Most successful entrepreneurs understand perfect timing. In the late 1999s the legacy were quickly cutting back inflight service and Neeleman saw a way to improve on the Southwest model. Somewhat similar situation with AZUL. No he believes there's another opening as an alternative to the ULCC model. Let's see if he's right again.

enplaned

Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:25 pm

JoseSalazar wrote:
How do you find the filing?

https://beta.regulations.gov/document/D ... -0106-0001

elpaviator19

Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:52 am

Where do you think this airline is going to fly? It sounds like the hub is going to be MSP and there a lot of competition there with Sun Country and Delta. Sounds like the plan is to fly to midwest and southern destinations so I’m thinking MKE, OKC, TUL, MSY, AUS, BOI, MCI, GRR, BTR...

Jshank83

Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:58 am

elpaviator19 wrote:
Where do you think this airline is going to fly? It sounds like the hub is going to be MSP and there a lot of competition there with Sun Country and Delta. Sounds like the plan is to fly to midwest and southern destinations so I’m thinking MKE, OKC, TUL, MSY, AUS, BOI, MCI, GRR, BTR...

I thought it was going to be point to point. I think it would be silly to set up a hub at MSP.

Jerseyguy

Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:03 am

Jshank83 wrote:
elpaviator19 wrote:

I thought it was going to be point to point. I think it would be silly to set up a hub at MSP.

Sounds to me like the first 6 months of charter flights are going to be out of MSP but the rest will not be or it wont exclusively be. It certainly wont be based on having a hub. "Although adjustments have been
made to its plans, Breeze’s mission of providing nonstop service to underserved markets across the country remains unchanged"

n7371f

Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:59 am

Yeah what happened to the posts from last evening the disappeared regarding ALPA? Which by the way is a non-factor after further research.

enplaned wrote:
Polot wrote:

The misconception (which was mine in the original post above) is that certificates don't have an existence separate and apart from a functioning carrier. You can buy and sell a certificated air carrier, but that carrier can't sell its certificate to a random company and that random company become an airline on the basis of it.

What Breeze is acquiring is manuals, etc. That may help them speed certification of their own, but precedent suggests that recertification is necessary. At least, when Compass paid for the Independence Air manuals there was recertification necessary.]

Such is my understanding, anyway. I should have reflected that in my original post above.

wnflyguy

Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:27 pm

Dave has publicly stated that with sudden departure of JetBlue from LGB Breeze will most likely look into taking part in the Reallocation lottery for the 17 slots. Sounds like Breeze isn't just gonna start in the Midwest now. But reading how the process LGB slot process works the most slots they will be able to get is 9 of the 17.
Thats if it comes down to just 2 airline in the lottery. If all parties bid for Any available slots Breeze max potential is 5 slots. Unfortunately for Dave his successful track record of starting Airlines it will not be able to just walk on into LGB like JetBlue and grab a lions share of slots with Southwest in town.
My Wings are clipped just another Retired Airline person. The Ultimate Armchair out of the loop airline industry geek. Aloha Mr Hand!

Blerg

Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:35 pm

But they already said that they are looking at introducing destinations that are not served at the moment. I doubt they would open a focus city in Long Beach. What they might do is launch some flights to there from other places currently not served by anyone. For that they don't need all the 17 slots. Will be interesting to see in what direction Breeze develops once things start moving.

sunking737

Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:14 pm

New rumor is that Breeze will be based in MSP. As Compass was...This gets interesting by the day.

https://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/ ... arter.html
"Don't believe it unless its parked on the ramp, or printed in the schedule...SUBJECT TO CHANGE"

I'm a SUNDUCK......Worked for RC & SY @ MSP

Blerg

Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:21 pm

sunking737 wrote:
New rumor is that Breeze will be based in MSP. As Compass was...This gets interesting by the day.

But does that make sense given how big DL is there? Breeze wants to connect cities that have lost airlinks, MSP seems to be doing just fine in that regard. Unless they plan on flying a lot of W rotations.

HNLSLCPDX

Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:29 pm

Blerg wrote:
But they already said that they are looking at introducing destinations that are not served at the moment. I doubt they would open a focus city in Long Beach. What they might do is launch some flights to there from other places currently not served by anyone. For that they don't need all the 17 slots. Will be interesting to see in what direction Breeze develops once things start moving.

I’m predicting if they do go into LGB then some of the first destinations will be Dallas (area), Provo, Bellingham, Boise, and an airport in Oregon. There would not be any direct competition on those routes.

BA744PHX

Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:56 pm

HNLSLCPDX wrote:
Blerg wrote:

I’m predicting if they do go into LGB then some of the first destinations will be Dallas (area), Provo, Bellingham, Boise, and an airport in Oregon. There would not be any direct competition on those routes.

They need airports where they can grow and be flexible, that is not LGB with their unfriendly policies

sunking737

Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:18 pm

The best part of this whole story is Compass was located in DL Building C, @MSP Now they have to find an office and hanger space. The only place I know of a hanger is by SY. But Endeavor uses it. Looks like sky hanger for them
"Don't believe it unless its parked on the ramp, or printed in the schedule...SUBJECT TO CHANGE"

n7371f

Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:28 am

Only Breeze SOC/FlightOps will be MSP based - and that's only so it can get the operation up and running quickly under the local FAA office which has oversight of CPZ certificate. Eventually it will relocate to SLC where Breeze corporate is. I wouldn't even expect Breeze flights at MSP.

Blerg wrote:
sunking737 wrote:

But does that make sense given how big DL is there? Breeze wants to connect cities that have lost airlinks, MSP seems to be doing just fine in that regard. Unless they plan on flying a lot of W rotations.

Blerg

Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:11 am

BA744PHX wrote:
HNLSLCPDX wrote:
Blerg wrote:

They need airports where they can grow and be flexible, that is not LGB with their unfriendly policies

I don't think they would open a hub there but it would be one of the airports to serve the LA area. As in fly into the airport from other hubs and focus cities.

enplaned

Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:58 pm

It's interesting that Breeze itself is essentially completely silent on this. When they filed their original plan in February, it was the hook for a huge media effort, with Neeleman seemingly everywhere.

By contrast, in conjunction with the new plan there are hardly any articles and Neeleman is, at least so far, silent.

jetmatt777

Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:19 pm

Best to remain silent and under the radar right now. Public perception of airlines is relatively poor, investor perception of airlines right now is relatively tepid, and there is no demand for service. Their best bet is to silently get their house in order. Get their paperwork filed, their approvals sought, and their business ready to launch for after when the above 3 items have blown over. There is no need to be in the press right now if you are an airline.

twinotter

Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:18 pm

sunking737 wrote:
The best part of this whole story is Compass was located in DL Building C, @MSP Now they have to find an office and hanger space. The only place I know of a hanger is by SY. But Endeavor uses it. Looks like sky hanger for them

Compass' space in Building C had a private entrance from the exterior and access from the Delta lobby was pass-secured. In other words, it was a private space. I don't know what Delta's plans are for that part of the building, but don't see any reason they would not rent it to Breeze if it's empty. It's not as if they treated Compass as "family" or anything other than a separate company.

slcdeltarumd11

Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:39 pm

Provo-long beach on a 220 sized plane I think would make good money. Doubt breeze can be ready soon enough though unless the airport gives them some time.

hiflyeras

Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:28 pm

I am so not excited about a new entrant into the US market during the worst times in history. I suppose they're somewhat committed but the writing seems like it's on the wall for them. And this whole 'everything by app' idea...I can't wait to see their gate when the poop hits the fan with a mechanical or long delay. Pity the poor one or two contract agent humans at their stations...I wonder how long they'll last after 100 people are berating them for the first time.

WaywardMemphian

Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:44 am

hiflyeras wrote:
I am so not excited about a new entrant into the US market during the worst times in history. I suppose they're somewhat committed but the writing seems like it's on the wall for them. And this whole 'everything by app' idea...I can't wait to see their gate when the poop hits the fan with a mechanical or long delay. Pity the poor one or two contract agent humans at their stations...I wonder how long they'll last after 100 people are berating them for the first time.

The worst times in history? Home sales here in my neck the woods are up 6% for the first half of 2020, during the Pandemic. Home prices have increased, there's new construction everywhere.

aemoreira1981

Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:54 am

How long can the Compass AOC not be used for operations before it lapses?

enplaned

Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:38 pm

https://beta.regulations.gov/document/D ... -0106-0003

ALPA says they want to see the Breeze confidential information.

lightsaber

Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:03 pm

Breeze is now going to acquire ejets from Nordic aviation on "significantly better terms" than from Azul:

https://centreforaviation.com/analysis/ ... ult-530696

This has become interesting!

As to ALPA, Compass was ALPA organized pilots and doesn't want to lose that membership. That could be a wrinkle, but as contracts do not follow the certificate, it would depend on precident. Is there any railway labor act precident?

Lightsaber
Winter is coming.

KLMatSJC

Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:33 pm

I wonder if they will switch to the 190s. I know Nordic has some 195s on their books, but I have no idea whether they are off lease.
A318/19/20/21/21N A332/3 A343/5 A388 B712 B722 B732/3/4/7/8/9/9ER B744/4M B752/3 B762ER/3/3ER/4ER B772/E/L/W B788 CRJ2/7/9 Q400 EMB-120 ERJ-135/140/145/145XR/175 DC-10-10 MD-82/83/88/90

Long Live the Tulip, Cactus, and Redwood

sunking737

Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:45 pm

Looks like Nordic was leasing EMB 190 to Azul...per planespotters dot net 10 stored

11C

Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:02 pm

WaywardMemphian wrote:
hiflyeras wrote:

The worst times in history? Home sales here in my neck the woods are up 6% for the first half of 2020, during the Pandemic. Home prices have increased, there's new construction everywhere.

Yet another massive downturn for the airline industry is what is meant. I agree, the housing market is surprisingly strong, but that’s not filling airplanes.

11C

Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:08 pm

[photoid][/photoid]
enplaned wrote:
https://beta.regulations.gov/document/DOT-OST-2020-0106-0003

I don’t know the history of gaining access by ALPA to the confidential documents related to a transfer of an AOC. Does anyone have an idea of the chance ALPA has of succeeding?

Jerseyguy

Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:17 pm

enplaned wrote:
https://beta.regulations.gov/document/DOT-OST-2020-0106-0003

Here I was thinking that ALPA was going to accuse Compass of some sort of conspiracy to break the union contract or something, turns out they just want to force Breeze to hire their membership.

JoseSalazar

Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:21 pm

KLMatSJC wrote:
I wonder if they will switch to the 190s. I know Nordic has some 195s on their books, but I have no idea whether they are off lease.

Mixed 190/195 fleet, most likely, as well as 220s when they come.

kavok

Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:23 am

It will be curious to see how Breeze operates, and where it flies. Let me say Neeleman knows what he is doing, and any speculation on my part is just that... from the comfort of my own arm chair.

What I will say is that Intra-Midwest flying is fairly limited currently. The Midwest strategy for every airline but DL is the same.... fly to Chicago, and connect there. And pretty much every Midwesterner has an Ohare or Midway horror story, even if they only fly once a year. Even WN, who normally does point to point, pretty much reverts to the hub and spoke model (at MDW) if you ignore STL.

DL’s Midwestern model differs slightly, but obviously it is still the hub and spoke. The only difference is that DL obviously connects you in DTW or MSP, and they will only even do that if they can’t justify flying you to ATL first. And as nice of hubs as DTW and MSP are, they are both on the fringes of the Midwest population blob, so again out of the way for many intraMidwest flights.

Good luck trying to get from MCI to CLE or IND to MKE. And while not large markets, they aren’t small markets either. There are many traveling who will be happy to avoid Chicago. And if DL is going to keep pushing connections to ATL over DTW/MSP, there may be enough room for another carrier (even if LCC) to offer flights to somewhere other than Florida. A new Jet Blue of the Midwest just might work.

lightsaber

Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:56 am

kavok wrote:
It will be curious to see how Breeze operates, and where it flies. Let me say Neeleman knows what he is doing, and any speculation on my part is just that... from the comfort of my own arm chair.

What I will say is that Intra-Midwest flying is fairly limited currently. The Midwest strategy for every airline but DL is the same.... fly to Chicago, and connect there. And pretty much every Midwesterner has an Ohare or Midway horror story, even if they only fly once a year. Even WN, who normally does point to point, pretty much reverts to the hub and spoke model (at MDW) if you ignore STL.

DL’s Midwestern model differs slightly, but obviously it is still the hub and spoke. The only difference is that DL obviously connects you in DTW or MSP, and they will only even do that if they can’t justify flying you to ATL first. And as nice of hubs as DTW and MSP are, they are both on the fringes of the Midwest population blob, so again out of the way for many intraMidwest flights.

Good luck trying to get from MCI to CLE or IND to MKE. And while not large markets, they aren’t small markets either. There are many traveling who will be happy to avoid Chicago. And if DL is going to keep pushing connections to ATL over DTW/MSP, there may be enough room for another carrier (even if LCC) to offer flights to somewhere other than Florida. A new Jet Blue of the Midwest just might work.

I hope Breeze is a more transparent and higher end Allegiant. By this I mean flying reduced frequency (e.g., Mon and Fri or Tue and Sat a la Allegiant,) with dynamic allocation. (Add Wednesday flight if demand warrants,).

While we are talking a Midwest start, there are many city pairs to that would support connections, just not daily.

I am really three customers. When I fly just myself on my money, I sm really flexible (and cheap). When I fly with the kids, some time flexibility, but I'll pay more for an easier travel experience.

When I fly for the company, time critical with a no-nonsense approach.

Breeze isn't going to suit my corporate flying, but it sounds like a great airline for the flying I pay for.

Lightsaber

Ps (late edit):
I also mean Allegiant like as flying P2P routes without competition. I often fly these sort of routes, I just usually hub.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/j ... r-BB16Ckpc

I'll accept hub bypass for reduced frequency. Just as I often flew JetBlue's redeyes.
Winter is coming.

catiii

Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:10 am

enplaned wrote:
It's interesting that Breeze itself is essentially completely silent on this. When they filed their original plan in February, it was the hook for a huge media effort, with Neeleman seemingly everywhere.

By contrast, in conjunction with the new plan there are hardly any articles and Neeleman is, at least so far, silent.

David is too busy on Twitter fighting with people over COVID data.

IndianicWorld

Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:43 am

If Breeze can find a Midwestern city that can provide opportunities to kick start the operation that would be great to see.

The major legacy hubs are largely already covered, So it would be unlikely they would target those as key bases, as it goes against their original stated plan. There are bound to be a few options, even if at lower frequency out there, but it won’t be a huge number though in terms of viable opportunities, as some of those not already served may well be that way for a reason.

As for the west coast, could well see LGB, ONT and OAK gaining service, as those have all rode a rollercoaster of highs and lows. Whether or not they have enough options to exploit that match their model will be interesting to watch.