Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

falkerker
Topic Author

AV employee fired for smuggling liquor into a Stadium in Russia during the WC

Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:04 pm

Link in Spanish only, sorry
http://www.elcolombiano.com/colombia/av ... -MG8888619

The Regional Manager for Eurasia at Avianca Cargo attended a game in Russia for the World Cup, he uploaded a video showing how he and his frineds smuggled liquor inside hollow binoculars and stated "this is how you cheat russian security". That same day AV terminated his contract. People have both supported AV for their decision and critized them for being disproportionate in their response. I believe the manager of a cargo service cannot upload a video showing how he smuggled an illegal substance without having consequences but I do believe AV should have followed due process which they did not.

reffado

Re: AV employee fired for smuggling liquor into a Stadium in Russia during the WC

Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:20 pm

Wow, is there a trend? Today, LA also fired an employee for posting a misogynistic and sexist video at the World Cup in Russia.

I guess the lesson here is once again for people to watch what they post on social media - especially if they work for a company with a social media guideline policy.

DocLightning

Re: AV employee fired for smuggling liquor into a Stadium in Russia during the WC

Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:23 pm

As a general rule, do not post pictures of yourself drinking on social media, even if you are of age.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

INFINITI329

Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:34 pm

This is so dumb. He brought in alcohol into a sporting venue its not the end of the world. I probably would to and could only imagine what the booze costs at a world cup match. FYI alcohol isn't illegal in Russia, just like any other sporting event they want you to buy their way overpriced booze rather than bring your own.

WorldFlier

Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:42 pm

DocLightning wrote:
As a general rule, do not post pictures of yourself drinking on social media, even if you are of age.

I would never work for a company who would fire me for doing legal things and posting pictures of them.

What you should say is, "As a general rule, do not post pictures of yourself violating laws (especially if you're in an authoritarian country)"

Zachbt

Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:45 pm

I work for my local government have smuggled alcohol into various events through the years, talked about it and posted several instances of it on social media and my government has a social media word based algorithm that worms it's way daily through anything I and my colleagues post and never been pulled. This is ludicrous. Not like he's sniffing coke in the stands or smoking a joint, it's been a humour joke post, poor guy

scbriml

Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:00 pm

INFINITI329 wrote:
This is so dumb. He brought in alcohol into a sporting venue its not the end of the world.

The dumb part was boasting about it on social media.

WorldFlier wrote:
I would never work for a company who would fire me for doing legal things and posting pictures of them.

Most large companies now have pretty authoritarian rules about what their employees can post on social media. AV's cargo business in Russia could potentially be impacted by his stupid actions.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

continental004

Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:01 pm

Employers these days are just so judgmental...

WorldFlier

Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:05 pm

scbriml wrote:
INFINITI329 wrote:
This is so dumb. He brought in alcohol into a sporting venue its not the end of the world.

WorldFlier wrote:

Most large companies now have pretty authoritarian rules about what their employees can post on social media. AV's cargo business in Russia could potentially be impacted by his stupid actions.

You're absolutely right, most companies are doing this. I am very lucky to work for one that does not.

That being said, they'd probably fire me for the smuggling the booze in :)

Zachbt

Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:13 pm

scbriml wrote:
INFINITI329 wrote:

WorldFlier wrote:

We all live on social media now, sharing something as silly as that is not a sackable offence, even if is against local authority. Was it in your local realm of laws? If it was you've no come back, if it wasn't then you have a good industrial tribunal on your side, which no one in the company wants, agrandisation of local politics in different platforms.

I'd stick 20 bucks this guy gets his job back or a side step job with another company, no need for gross misconduct on a certain situation that happens constantly

scbriml

Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:46 pm

continental004 wrote:
Employers these days are just so judgmental...

They have every right to be if an employee is stupid enough to post something that reflects badly on the company or might impact their business. Like FA's dissing customers on Twitter.

Zachbt wrote:
We all live on social media now, sharing something as silly as that is not a sackable offence, even if is against local authority.

We don't know what AV's social media policy is, but any action by an employee that brings their company into disrepute or potentially impacts their business is likely to find themselves in trouble. I really don't get how people think they can post absolutely anything online without consequence. It's just so stupid.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Zachbt

Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:51 pm

scbriml wrote:
We don't know what AV's social media policy is, but any action by an employee that brings their company into disrepute or potentially impacts their business is likely to find themselves in trouble. I really don't get how people think they can post absolutely anything online without consequence. It's just so stupid.

I get that but I'm from a pretty western society where you can call into disrepute what you've done against what the company tries to fire you for, unless it's alcohol/drugs on premises, this guy was on holiday, whoever touted should be to blame overall, bots wouldn't have picked this up. He has a case for unfair dismissal

trent772

Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:56 pm

This is so much BS on Avianca’s part, they’re trying to look ethically and politically correct after they spectacularly mishandled the pilot strike and for drastically reducing the wages and benefits of ground staff and handlers without notice all over the network.
He will sue and get his job back, this is nothing more than a PR stunt by a desperate company looking to find acceptance after it was revealed as a tyrant employer.

cougar15

Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:32 am

As a Cargo RM, he also has the ultimate hat on for Aviation Security and compliance to regulations. I do see ´a little conflict of interest´´ there with his role versus his actions...…….
Last edited by cougar15 on Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
some you lose, others you can´t win!

aemoreira1981

Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:35 am

This is where DJ Khaled pops up and says: ¡Felicidades, te has jugado a ti mismo! (translated meaning: Congratulations, you played yourself.) This is dumb and the manager has only himself to blame.

TransWorldOne

Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:41 am

These days you really have to take extreme caution when using social media. Have your account at the strictest privacy setting, carefully review before posting, and never ever post under the influence of drugs or alcohol. It's really not as fun as it used to be but employers monitor that stuff closely and it's just not worth losing your job over.

ltbewr

Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:48 am

Avianca is based in a country, Columbia, that has a terrible reputation for being the source of hard drugs and smuggling them to other countries. If he is smuggling in booze, maybe he is helping to smuggle drugs into Russia.
Most public venues are very strict on bringing in any liquids for liability reasons, so not dealing with uncontrolled drunks as well as fear of bringing in dangerous chemicals that could be used in a terror event.
This is one reason I don't like 'social media' websites - too many post stuff that could lose their job.

Aesma

Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:55 am

scbriml wrote:

And often these rules when challenged are deemed illegal.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

lightsaber

Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:39 am

Smuggled alcohol into a stadium. Silly.

I would NEVER EVER have done that in my life. :spit:

DocLightning wrote:

Agreed. There are some images that live forever.

I don't agree in getting fired for it, but it was also rather tasteless that that is what you bragged about at the world cup...

Lightsaber
I cannot wait to get vaccinated to live again! Warning: I simulated that it takes 50%+ vaccinated to protect the vaccinated and 75%+ vaccinated to protect the vac-hesitant.

bennett123

Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:40 am

Is he is responsible for security at AV, his attitude to smuggling needs adjustment.

Francoflier

Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:42 am

These kind of offences seem minor, and by and large they are. The problem here is not the offence itself, but the fact that it gets widely publicized on the internet... by the perpetrator himself.

The optics of such behavior for the company that hires them can be quite problematic, as once an individual becomes publicly associated with that business as an employee, then that behavior suddenly reflects on the company itself and attracts quite a lot of unwanted PR.

I'm pretty sure AV would have had no problem living with the knowledge of what that employee did as long as it hadn't gone viral online. In fact, they'd probably have laughed with him at his antics.

I understand why businesses have to protect themselves with tough social media policies nowadays as much as I do not understand why people have become so fond of exposing themselves and every aspect of their lives so much to the World...
Is narcissism becoming a valued quality in a human being?
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

shamrock321

Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:41 am

Let’s be honest! An airline employee posting about how he’s cheated security be it at a sporting event or anywhere else and posting it on social media is going to get you into trouble.

senatorflyer

Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:49 am

DocLightning wrote:

Really? I think the general rule is don’t film yourself doing something illegal.

Tedd

Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:51 am

No denying he was stupid, but he shouldn`t lose his job over it,,,,,he was on his own time & not representing
his company.

mast2407

Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:08 pm

In this day and age, the rule is if you’re on social media, regardless of privacy settings, your boss and the gubberment is watching, and that opens you up to consequences, whether you like it or not. Don’t be stupid on social media kids... the gubberment is watching. Probably.

lightsaber

Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:56 pm

senatorflyer wrote:
DocLightning wrote:

Really? I think the general rule is don’t film yourself doing something illegal.

You mean like having a position that could smuggle illegal items and filming yourself with smuggled contraband?

Yeah, I changed my opinion from a prior post after thinking about this.

Lightsaber
I cannot wait to get vaccinated to live again! Warning: I simulated that it takes 50%+ vaccinated to protect the vaccinated and 75%+ vaccinated to protect the vac-hesitant.

INFINITI329

Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:09 pm

What he did wasn't illegal ! He wont be thrown in the gulag for it. He violated a stadium policy nothing more

SamYeager2016

Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:42 pm

Frankly he was a prat. Worse than that he was a prat that got loads of (bad) publicity. I don't think he should have been fired (immediately) but probably suspended (without pay?). This would give time to go through the formal disciplinary process and then fire him.

OTOH giving him the boot PDQ sends a clear message to their customers which they might even believe.

AtomicGarden

Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:00 am

If he wasn't wearing an AV uniform, or doing anything on their behalf, what's the problem? I think this is a terrible overreaction on AV's part. He should sue.
You killed a black astronaut, Cyril! That's like killing a unicorn!

OGLOBAL

Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:54 am

AtomicGarden wrote:
If he wasn't wearing an AV uniform, or doing anything on their behalf, what's the problem? I think this is a terrible overreaction on AV's part. He should sue.

i don't think it was an over reaction. he posted a video bragging how to smuggle booze into stadiums and how to feel security ... when you have a position at work like his this is a no no
please before getting that position they always do a background and criminal check for a reason . So that video alone gives AV authority to fire him with no consequences.

Av and BOG doesn't need the bad publicity because of his actions .

millionsofmiles

Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:08 am

It's called respecting the laws and rules of the country in which you are a GUEST.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos