Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

787fan8
Topic Author

Air Belgium eyes US flights

Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:35 pm

https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news ... us-flights
Per the article:
Air Belgium (KF, Brussels Charleroi) is planning to start flights to the United States this year, a filing with the US Department of Transportation (DOT) has revealed.

In its application for Exemption Authority and a Foreign Air Carrier Permit, Air Belgium said that once it has secured the requisite paperwork, it intends to operate Belgium-US charter flights first before branching into the scheduled services market.

"Air Belgium requests expedited approval of this application so that marketing and sale of the proposed services can begin without delay," it said.

Air Belgium currently operates two A340-300s on scheduled passenger flights between its Brussels Charleroi base and Hong Kong Int'l. It has already announced plans to expand into the mainland China market at some point over the coming months.
Atlanta is an incredibly cool city - Andrew Lincoln

Future Auburn graduate

LAXintl

Re: Air Belgium eyes US flights

Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:42 pm

:white:

The authority is largely proforma, not implying they will ever operate their own services.

The licensing is required if they ever end up with subservice or charters behalf of other airlines. There are probably hundreds of such companies globally that hold US license just in case if needed, but never exercise them on their own behalf.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

American 767

Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:06 am

This will be the first time a Belgian airport other than BRU will see a nonstop flight to the United States. Correct me if I'm wrong, but what Belgian airport besides BRU has ever seen passenger flights to the United States? I don't think Charleroi, Liege or Oostend ever have. Antwerp definitely no. Not sure about Luxemburg.
Ben Soriano

Varsity1

Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:06 am

American 767 wrote:
This will be the first time a Belgian airport other than BRU will see a nonstop flight to the United States. Correct me if I'm wrong, but what Belgian airport besides BRU has ever seen passenger flights to the United States? I don't think Charleroi, Liege or Oostend ever have. Antwerp definitely no. Not sure about Luxemburg.

Passenger flights? I would imagine Liege has seen a few charters. Kalitta and Atlas are huge there.

cougar15

Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:12 am

American 767 wrote:

LUX has certainly seen US service, but, well it is in LUX, not Belgium. I have to wonder about Air Belgium though, I don´t see a market to the US for them at all, especially out of CRL.
One has to wonder where all this is heading, all I see them do is ACMI, what ever happened with HKG? I am aware of the Issues but should they not have been foreseen before launch? Anyway I wish them best of luck
some you lose, others you can´t win!

cougar15

Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:23 am

Varsity1 wrote:
American 767 wrote:

Passenger flights? I would imagine Liege has seen a few charters. Kalitta and Atlas are huge there.

Kalitta and Atlas are ACMI & wet leases.. TNT 777 (gone now), ASL BE 747, Fedex 777,...…. plenty of scheduled US flights, but freight only
some you lose, others you can´t win!

Cunard

Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:37 am

cougar15 wrote:
American 767 wrote:

LUX has certainly seen US service, but, well it is in LUX, not Belgium. I have to wonder about Air Belgium though, I don´t see a market to the US for them at all, especially out of CRL.
One has to wonder where all this is heading, all I see them do is ACMI, what ever happened with HKG? I am aware of the Issues but should they not have been foreseen before launch? Anyway I wish them best of luck

Air Belgium will commence HKG on the 01 July 2018, the inaugural flight has been postponed several times due to the airline awaiting for approval from Russia for overflight rights which has now been achieved.

And a year later Air Belgium is history!
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos