KD5MDK

Re: AUS to become a Delta Focus City

Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:02 am

Getting an exemption for AUS-LGA and AUS-DCA would be the big opportunities for AA.
Anything else would require them to start up point to point flying (BOS, SJC, etc)

malev2012

Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:09 am

CarlosSi wrote:
Slightly off topic, but is there an alternative to how AA and UA would expand from AUS other than adding frequencies or upgauging from expanding hubs (basically adding just seats)? Basically what would make a stop at one of their hubs more favorable over perhaps a nonstop with DL?

I guess upgauging would lower yields/cheap tickets, though I’m not so sure if that’s always in their best interest.

With megahubs so close AA/UA don't want to dilute the flow, so I mainly see upgauging.
Looking in the future O&D traffic will continue to grow as fast as the region grows, so PDEW for lots of city pairs will increase to where a regional jet is viable but not a 143 seat WN 737.
Airlines flown: AA, AB, AC, AY, CO, DL, DY, F9, IB, KL, LH, LX, NW, NZ, OS, QF, SN, TP, UA, US, VA, VC, WN, XE,

LovePrunesAnet

Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:29 am

axiom wrote:
The thread title should be changed to "Could DL Build a Focus City at AUS?"

I keep coming to this thread looking for factual discussion related to the title, and I don't see it.

I keep coming to this thread because it reminds me of the supermarket checkout tabloids. "Woman gives birth to rabbit" and other absurdities. Once in awhile I offer comments like the other realists do here, but it's met with "Yeah but we hear stuff from someone at the port that collaborates what we are hoping for..." (COLLABORATES what we think? WTF I think you mean CORROBORATES).

Simple things like THAT make me really doubt there is much sophisticated intel that we skeptics are missing out on. So pass the popcorn. I'm interested in all this, but I'm also highly entertained.

and comments like this...
reggiet wrote:
With a 2017 pre-tax income of $5.5 billion and a fairly successful debt retirement plan the last few years, DL has a bit of mad money to take chances at diamonds in the rough like AUS.

This just seems like a real misunderstanding of how the aviation industry works. "Mad money?" to "take some chances like AUS"?
I think I'd be less eye-rolly if the fanboys would call out some of the excesses I just quoted when things as ridiculous as that get said. But it just gets left there. It just muddies the water hearing things like this reasoning. Maybe DL will beef up their service some, but "mad money to take chances?" C'mon get real. The airline biz is too thin on lifetime profits to operate this way, and any industry expert will tell you that. Makes the other things said less believable.

jplatts

Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:05 pm

KD5MDK wrote:
Getting an exemption for AUS-LGA and AUS-DCA would be the big opportunities for AA.
Anything else would require them to start up point to point flying (BOS, SJC, etc)

WN is currently the only airline to serve DCA nonstop from AUS, and WN already is using its only beyond-perimeter slot exemption on the DCA-AUS route. DL also is already using its beyond-perimeter slot exemptions on its DCA-LAX and DCA-SLC nonstops. DL adding AUS-DCA nonstop service will not happen without extra beyond-perimeter slot exemptions being added at DCA.

Both WN and DL could add operate Saturday-only nonstop service to LGA out of AUS, but DL does not usually do Saturday-only nonstops to beyond-perimeter destinations from LGA except for seasonal Saturday-only nonstop service to BZN from LGA. I think that WN is more likely than DL is to add Saturday-only nonstop service to LGA from AUS since WN is willing to do Saturday-only nonstop service to LGA from destinations such as PHX and SAT that do not have any nonstop service to LGA (even on a Saturday-only basis) on DL or AA.

LovePrunesAnet

Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:58 pm

This certainly throws an interesting twist into the discussion about a big expansion of flights at AUS. No matter what anybody at the port may have for Insider info about some big expansion it's all about the bottom line. There is no room for speculative flying for Delta or any other airline.

(There's an identical article at the Wall Street Journal behind it pay wall but this one is free.)
Title is "Delta to cut flights amid rising fuel costs."

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/business/rising-fuel-costs-cut-into-deltas-q2-revenues

ERJ170

Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:42 pm

This quote from the above article “The airline will focus its capacity cuts in markets where higher fuel costs cannot be offset with increased ticket costs, Delta president Glen Hauenstein told investors.” looks to me in saying LCC hubs/major stations are these types of places.. BWI, OAK, FLL.. etc... But I guess enilria next update may spell it out???
Aiming High and going far..

flymco753

Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:55 pm

It doesn’t necessarily mean that there’s going to be cuts in capacity, but rather frequency. I’m looking at DTW’s schedule for October and there’s a ton of A321’s. Seems like a lot of 737s are going MSP and west.
Resort, and other ground transportation options are on level 1.

*Future Route Network Planner*

LovePrunesAnet

Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:13 pm

flymco753 wrote:
It doesn’t necessarily mean that there’s going to be cuts in capacity, but rather frequency. I’m looking at DTW’s schedule for October and there’s a ton of A321’s. Seems like a lot of 737s are going MSP and west.

Cuts <> additions

To your point, perhaps EXISTING city pairs can be made to have identical daily capacity if every current seat is somehow swapped for less frequent service on bigger planes,

But I shared the article as it related to GROWING the DL map of city pairs not currently servied. I was merely pointing out that in a time when DL and others will be tightening their belts due to fuel costs and announcing CUTS, it will be that much more challenging to ADD new flights anywhere, regardless of how badly airports want more service from their tenant airlines and regardless of alleged insider info..

We will see, but I just think the more austere times make it even less likely that most of this thread's speculations will come to pass.

Capn

Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:11 pm

I don't have the exact quote ,but I believe the context of the statement was to draw down the schedule after the busy summer season, and allow fare increases to catch up the revenue stream.
I do not see this affecting 2019 expansion which I think will be substantial.
UH-1 DEHAVILAND HERON MARTIN 404 DC-9 CHALLENGER 601 FALCON 50 & 900EX

LovePrunesAnet

Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:38 pm

Capn wrote:
I don't have the exact quote ,but I believe the context of the statement was to draw down the schedule after the busy summer season, and allow fare increases to catch up the revenue stream.
I do not see this affecting 2019 expansion which I think will be substantial.

i mean i think since they're saying that they're cutting flights due to rising fuel costs, that it's likely to stay in cutting mode as long as fuel is going up. If you can accurately predict that in 2019 fuel will be lower than now, you stand to make a healthy profit in the speculation market. If you aren't heavily invested that way, then I'd say maybe like most would agree, that NOBODY knows the price of fuel will be in 2019, and that it's just wishful thinking to say this issue won't be around then.

Capn

Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:15 pm

Mr. Bastian said that DL. was comfortable operating in the current price range. They predict that by end of the year the fares will have caught up with fuel costs. Doesn't mean they won't keep going higher. They plan on trimming certain markets not in all, other than normal end of summer cuts
They think that their model will do fine.
They also believe that ULCCs will be most affected by the rise in fuel costs.
I happen to believe that the DELTA management team will continue to prosper the airline in any environment...
I guess we will see in the coming months.

winginit

Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:52 pm

From the July 12 Delta earnings call transcript:

Edward Russell

"Hi there. Thank you for taking my question. There has been some recent reports out of Austin about Delta having interest in potentially building a focus city there in the future, especially as the C-Series start to come in, sorry the A220s? Could you comment on this report and Delta's ambitions in Austin?"

Ed Bastian

"We are not going to comment on any future plans that haven't already been announced."

Capn

Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:35 pm

No offense, but I don't get your point.

LovePrunesAnet

Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:46 pm

winginit wrote:

Edward Russell

"Hi there. Thank you for taking my question. There has been some recent reports out of Austin about Delta having interest in potentially building a focus city there in the future, especially as the C-Series start to come in, sorry the A220s? Could you comment on this report and Delta's ambitions in Austin?"

Ed Bastian

"We are not going to comment on any future plans that haven't already been announced."

So is this Q&A supposed to be some sort of confirmation of a buildup in Austin? I just don't see it in what was said, er, I mean what WASN'T said.

neomax

Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:39 pm

Since this story and the DL return to BOM emerged around exactly the same time, I figured it makes sense to kill two birds with one stone.

1. Both are inevitable. DL will have to return to India at some point and also cannot ignore Texas forever. Both populations are gigantic.
2. Neither are happening anytime soon. India ops are an absolute bloodbath with EK, QR, and TK not letting up anytime soon and DL does not have a concrete plan in place. Likewise AA and UA ops in TX are the largest and second largest hubs respectively in their systems, and there is a HUGE amount of effort that will be needed to make a dent in not one but two megahubs between which Austin is sandwiched. Just thinking about it is difficult, imagine how difficult it is to actually do it.
3. DL needs a plan but doesn't have one. The intention is there whether they admit it or not, but they will have to make some big steps towards it which they have not done yet. DL has not given any details about their return to BOM which means it is worth nothing. AA could also say literally exactly the same thing which shows you just how worthless the statement is. For Austin, they have not even announced they plan to make a focus city like they did for Seattle. Its one thing to quietly grow a city with new routes and expansion but not say anything; people can read between the lines. But in AUS, DL is not even doing that. In AUS, there are no new flights on DL to suggest they are stealthily trying to grow in lieu of what they say, they just straight up have not confirmed anything at all, so without any evidence to suggest otherwise, they more than likely are not doing anything at the moment. Will they in the future? Absolutely. But that time is not right now.

masonh2479

Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:19 pm

neomax wrote:
For Austin, they have not even announced they plan to make a focus city like they did for Seattle. Its one thing to quietly grow a city with new routes and expansion but not say anything; people can read between the lines. But in AUS, DL is not even doing that. In AUS, there are no new flights on DL to suggest they are stealthily trying to grow in lieu of what they say, they just straight up have not confirmed anything at all, so without any evidence to suggest otherwise, they more than likely are not doing anything at the moment. Will they in the future? Absolutely. But that time is not right now.

Not right now because Delta only has three, maybe four gates. If they are really interested in Austin they would likely announce status or add new flights once the extension is open. Last when I was in Ausin Delta’s Gates were packed to the brim with one plane after another. Food for thought, eta of the extension is early 2019, so we might see some announcements this year. Nothing much can happen now, waiting game for a while. The international gates have openings though...

Mikey711MN

Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:34 pm

masonh2479 wrote:
Food for thought, eta of the extension is early 2019, so we might see some announcements this year. Nothing much can happen now, waiting game for a while. The international gates have openings though...

While the opening of the concourse is currently scheduled for March 2019, I believe that the availability of the gates themselves will need to be phased in.

The northern "half" of the concourse would need to open first and host the airlines that are currently using the stinger gates on the east end, e.g. BA, F9, etc., followed by deconstruction of the temporary jet bridges currently in use, and then finally by the construction of all remaining jet bridges (including replacing jet bridges into their final configurations for current Gates 2, 3A, etc.) on the southern "half".

Only when this last step is complete would there be a net addition of gates in the terminal, and it's not clear in public statements whether the deadline for opening the extension is for this final configuration (that may include new gates for DL in this "focus city" discussion) or simply to open the extension to relieve the overcrowding on the east end.

-Mike
I plan on living forever. So far, so good...

winginit

Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:44 pm

LovePrunesAnet wrote:
winginit wrote:

Edward Russell

Ed Bastian

So is this Q&A supposed to be some sort of confirmation of a buildup in Austin? I just don't see it in what was said, er, I mean what WASN'T said.

It's neither confirmation or denial just a statement. Read from it what you will but it was relevant that the issue was brought up by an analyst on the earnings call.

ADrum23

Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:46 pm

masonh2479 wrote:
neomax wrote:
For Austin, they have not even announced they plan to make a focus city like they did for Seattle. Its one thing to quietly grow a city with new routes and expansion but not say anything; people can read between the lines. But in AUS, DL is not even doing that. In AUS, there are no new flights on DL to suggest they are stealthily trying to grow in lieu of what they say, they just straight up have not confirmed anything at all, so without any evidence to suggest otherwise, they more than likely are not doing anything at the moment. Will they in the future? Absolutely. But that time is not right now.

Not right now because Delta only has three, maybe four gates. If they are really interested in Austin they would likely announce status or add new flights once the extension is open. Last when I was in Ausin Delta’s Gates were packed to the brim with one plane after another. Food for thought, eta of the extension is early 2019, so we might see some announcements this year. Nothing much can happen now, waiting game for a while. The international gates have openings though...

Exactly. Everyone needs to calm down, this is not going to be announced all at once. It will start with a few new routes and work up from there.

I predict AUS-AMS will be announced anytime within the next 2-3 months with a May 2019 start date. Then a new p2p destination or two before the end of the year.

LovePrunesAnet

Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:19 pm

ADrum23 wrote:
masonh2479 wrote:
neomax wrote:

Exactly. Everyone needs to calm down, this is not going to be announced all at once. It will start with a few new routes and work up from there.

I predict AUS-AMS will be announced anytime within the next 2-3 months with a May 2019 start date. Then a new p2p destination or two before the end of the year.

So far there's no definitive word that ANYTHING "will start." It's just speculation, rumor, wanting & hoping it to be so, and jumping to some fairly wild predictions. We'll see, but I ain't holding my breath.

SATexan

Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:40 pm

ADrum23 wrote:
I predict AUS-AMS will be announced anytime within the next 2-3 months with a May 2019 start date

Is there any reason behind your confident prediction?
I mean, are you making this prediction based on O&D, traffic data to EU, fare data, cargo etc?

ADrum23

Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:14 pm

SATexan wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:
I predict AUS-AMS will be announced anytime within the next 2-3 months with a May 2019 start date

I mean, are you making this prediction based on O&D, traffic data to EU, fare data, cargo etc?

I making it based on what we saw last year with IND to CDG, MCO to AMS, etc. IF DL chooses to follow a similar path this year and add more TATL routes, then with their new gates coming online next year, we’d likely see a August/September announcement with a Spring 2019 start date. IF DL goes through with building a focus city in AUS, then TATL service would be the most logical way to kick things off.

Additionally, I’m basing it on the fact that the BA flight is ripe for some competition considering they are alternating a 747/77W on the route now.

masonh2479

Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:30 pm

Mikey711MN wrote:
masonh2479 wrote:
Food for thought, eta of the extension is early 2019, so we might see some announcements this year. Nothing much can happen now, waiting game for a while. The international gates have openings though...

While the opening of the concourse is currently scheduled for March 2019, I believe that the availability of the gates themselves will need to be phased in.

The northern "half" of the concourse would need to open first and host the airlines that are currently using the stinger gates on the east end, e.g. BA, F9, etc., followed by deconstruction of the temporary jet bridges currently in use, and then finally by the construction of all remaining jet bridges (including replacing jet bridges into their final configurations for current Gates 2, 3A, etc.) on the southern "half".

Only when this last step is complete would there be a net addition of gates in the terminal, and it's not clear in public statements whether the deadline for opening the extension is for this final configuration (that may include new gates for DL in this "focus city" discussion) or simply to open the extension to relieve the overcrowding on the east end.

-Mike

I agree with your post, Mike, at this point the extension is just really a stop gap solution, with ABIA expected to exceed 15M this year. When the extension is completed and ready for phased opening, I do think that the gates on the North and the East gates will be able to open at once, that may net a gate or two.

Keep in mind with these temp gates there was already a net gain of one (absorbed instantly). ABIA was built with 24 contact gates and 1 gate with no jet bridge, the temp gates made 25 contact. I do think the gates will be swarmed as soon as they are available, but by Delta, I have no clue. I wish I were “in the know” in Delta but I’m not. I have no idea of Delta really is interested in Austin beyond adding a Sky Club, I know there have been a ton of rumors about AMS service and Delta even flew it during SWSW, but we’ll see.

With the extension slated to open early next year (March as you said) I do believe that date is for the extension itself to open but not the date that all jetbridges are available. We will likely see those being added and tested in the few hours that ABIA sleeps.

The jetbriges are already being added on the North side, a week or two ago the port posted an update stating the old gate 2 was refurbed and is now in place in its new home. So maybe March 2019 is all the gates being opened, again, who knows. This is all speculation and this waiting game is not fun at all.

masonh2479

Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:35 pm

LovePrunesAnet wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:
masonh2479 wrote:

So far there's no definitive word that ANYTHING "will start." It's just speculation, rumor, wanting & hoping it to be so, and jumping to some fairly wild predictions. We'll see, but I ain't holding my breath.

Agreed, speculation is fun but as some point there needs to be some facts to back up said speculation, hopefully within the next year Delta will say whether it is or isn’t interested in Austin and we can have some relief.

Delta did fly AUS-AMS to back up ADrum23’s prediction, albeit for SXSW only. The planes had healthy occupancy but I don’t know what Delta took from that, just SXSW influence or demand for a consistent flight even when there are no huge festivals.

Being a Delta FF, I do hope Delta at least adds an international flight to Austin.

tphuang

Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:59 pm

ADrum23 wrote:
SATexan wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:

I making it based on what we saw last year with IND to CDG, MCO to AMS, etc. IF DL chooses to follow a similar path this year and add more TATL routes, then with their new gates coming online next year, we’d likely see a August/September announcement with a Spring 2019 start date. IF DL goes through with building a focus city in AUS, then TATL service would be the most logical way to kick things off.

Additionally, I’m basing it on the fact that the BA flight is ripe for some competition considering they are alternating a 747/77W on the route now.

Aus is not ind or mco. Delta has very strong point of sale in those 2 cities and is very weak in Austin.

In fact, it’s hard to really comprehend how weak they are in Austin unless you have seen some of their fare data compared to ind and mco.

atcsundevil

Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:48 am

Please just discuss the topic or the thread will be locked.

✈️ atcsundevil

SATexan

Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:08 am

tphuang wrote:
Aus is not ind or mco. Delta has very strong point of sale in those 2 cities and is very weak in Austin.
In fact, it’s hard to really comprehend how weak they are in Austin unless you have seen some of their fare data compared to ind and mco.

:checkmark: :checkmark:
Also, it is important to note that AMS is considered a low yielding destination (IAH being a notable exception).

cessna2

Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:23 pm

When discussing RDU's future in the DL network, DL Executives referred to AUS as a DL focus city. Looks like this is the first official acknowledgement. https://www.newsobserver.com/news/busin ... 37225.html

neomax

Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:38 pm

cessna2 wrote:
When discussing RDU's future in the DL network, DL Executives referred to AUS as a DL focus city. Looks like this is the first official acknowledgement. https://www.newsobserver.com/news/busin ... 37225.html

You're right, I didn't catch that! This is an interesting development indeed. So I guess this is official confirmation from Delta itself.

compensateme

Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:48 pm

cessna2 wrote:

That’s incorrect; nowhere in the article does DL acknowledge AUS as a focus city. Instead, the article’s author identifies it as such, listing it as a current focus city alongside CVG and BOS. The whole statement is false — AUS is not currently a focus city, and DL identifies BOS and CVG as hubs.

Just something the author got wrong in his research, not an official acknowledgement.
If you are an American who drives an auto built by a foreign-owned company yet complains about your favorite airline buying Airbus, then you are nothing more than a whiny hypocrite.

ADrum23

Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:12 pm

compensateme wrote:
cessna2 wrote:

That’s incorrect; nowhere in the article does DL acknowledge AUS as a focus city. Instead, the article’s author identifies it as such, listing it as a current focus city alongside CVG and BOS. The whole statement is false — AUS is not currently a focus city, and DL identifies BOS and CVG as hubs.

Just something the author got wrong in his research, not an official acknowledgement.

No, BOS and CVG are not hubs, they are focus cities. Delta has identified them as such.

http://s1.q4cdn.com/231238688/files/doc_presentations/2017/Delta-Air-Lines-Investor-Day_2017.pdf (see slide 24)

compensateme

Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:16 pm

ADrum23 wrote:
compensateme wrote:
cessna2 wrote:

No, BOS and CVG are not hubs, they are focus cities. Delta has identified them as such.

http://s1.q4cdn.com/231238688/files/doc_presentations/2017/Delta-Air-Lines-Investor-Day_2017.pdf (see slide 24)

#1) it’s irreverent, it’s very clear the article’s author, not DL, identifies AUS as a focus city;
#2) DL uniformly identifies BOS and CVG as hubs in its marketing and PR material, including oodles of press releases released since Incestor Day. And the article interviewed a PR person...
If you are an American who drives an auto built by a foreign-owned company yet complains about your favorite airline buying Airbus, then you are nothing more than a whiny hypocrite.

ADrum23

Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:26 pm

compensateme wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:
compensateme wrote:

#1) it’s irreverent, it’s very clear the article’s author, not DL, identifies AUS as a focus city;
#2) DL uniformly identifies BOS and CVG as hubs in its marketing and PR material, including oodles of press releases released since Incestor Day. And the article interviewed a PR person...

I don't disagree about AUS, I myself have said it is premature to label it a focus city until some actual p2p routes are launched.

However, I haven't seen any info labeling CVG and BOS a hub in quite a while.

cvgComair

Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:42 am

Contacted the author and it has been changed. Definitely not a focus city yet.
Next: BGR-LGA (Delta CRJ-200), LGA-CVG (Delta CRJ-900)
DL SM, A319/320/332/333, B712/722/732/733/738/739/752/753/763/764/772/773/788, CRJ-100/2/7/9, ERJ-145/75, MD-88/90, S340

neomax

Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:51 am

cvgComair wrote:
Contacted the author and it has been changed. Definitely not a focus city yet.

Well there goes the hopes of many Austinites...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos