1. You are thinking of CMH-SAT
2. CVG-AUS was in the exact same circumstance, and DL announced it no problem. Case in point
3. If PIT-AUS can't support the service it had, why would another carrier like DL be eager to start it
4. DL would have to physically program connections through PIT into their system
5. Bob Cortelyou said they want to grow to be the #1 carrier out of IND, the Director of IND said DL was planning to make IND a connecting point, and DL said when IND-CDG was announced that IND is an important part of their route network. I have never heard DL recently make similar claims about PIT
1. You are correct
2. The obvious difference is CVG is a DL hub.
3. So an airline never starts a route that was dropped by another carrier? It would be a monopoly for DL unlike IND and CMH.
4. Just like they did for IND? Like I said they've done it before at PIT. Not sure why you think it is some obstacle.
5. Taking a snapshot at a given moment in time and to suggest that means IND is "a more important city" is a stretch IMHO. If DL had to hypothetically drop either PIT or IND I see no reason why IND would be an automatic shoe in. What about yields? What about that PIT-LGA is served 7x daily? PIT is a bigger market to tap. PIT-CDG operating subsidy free for 8 years. I don't see why DL would build a connecting operation at IND with CVG right down the road. DL might be having some momentum at IND but who's to say that can't happen at PIT or elsewhere in the years ahead. All it would take is for DL to add a couple routes. PIT-AUS/RDU/SEA/LAX are all easily within the realm of possibility. Airline networks change over time, we'll see what happens.
Regardless, to my point, IND and CMH already have service to AUS while at PIT DL would not have any competition. I have yet to see a reason IND and CMH would automatically come first considering all 3 are similar markets.
DL has more flights at AUG than ICN. Does that mean AUG is more important to the DL network than ICN? See point #5 above.
I'm going to be honest with you, I have no idea why this is even a discussion:
DL serves 15 destinations from IND, DL serves 9 destinations(soon 10) from PIT
DL has 40 departures from IND, DL has 33 departures from PIT
DL served 1.2mil mainline pax from IND, DL served 900k from PIT
PIT still doesn't have service to SEA, RDU, or LAX on DL, or other p2p flights other than the token sat-only PIT-CUN/MCO
DL SVP of Network planning was in IND last month and this is what he said: http://www.insideindianabusiness.com/st ... ice-begins
"Its(IND) is an important market for us, we are the largest "global carrier" from Indianapolis and we want to continue to be that and expand on that, and become more the airline of choice here in Indianapolis
"https://www.spreaker.com/user/echochamb ... -rodriguez
"It(speaking about IND-CDG) starts
making IND a real real connecting point for Delta Airlines"
DL has not made any public statements saying anything similar about PIT, so I don't think there is much to discuss here.
Last edited by Midwestindy
on Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
DL DM, AA Gold 2018: AMS, ATL, AUS, BOS, BWI, CDG, CLT, CMN, DCA, DFW, DTW, DXB, EWR, FLL, FRA, HAV, HPN, JFK, JNB, IAD, IAH, IND, LAX, LGA, LHR, LOS, MAD, MCO, MIA, MSP, ORD, PBI, PHL, PVD, SAN, SEA, SJD, SLC, SFO, STL, TPA, TXL, ZRH....Loading....