LovePrunesAnet

Re: AUS to become a Delta Focus City

Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:18 pm

compensateme wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:
Except there was a KXAN news article as well. Say what you want about that, but I highly doubt they would have put that out if DL wasn't planning something.

The source of the article (and news report) seems to be the same job posting that’s let your and others imaginations to run wild.

Cmon we all know if it's on the news it MUST be true
:lol:

cvgComair

Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:24 pm

compensateme wrote:
cvgComair wrote:
:rotfl: You forgot the hourly shuttle to DTW!

Actually, no. With Richard Anderson no longer CEO, DL has admitted it errored in picking CVG over DTW and will launch a 380 shuttle between AUS and CVG.

Haha, nice try.

compensateme wrote:
The 380s will be painted in rainbow colors in honor of you!

Ah, so we're going there today?
Next: BGR-LGA (Delta CRJ-200), LGA-CVG (Delta CRJ-900)
DL SM, A319/320/332/333, B712/722/732/733/738/739/752/753/763/764/772/773/788, CRJ-100/2/7/9, ERJ-145/75, MD-88/90, S340

IndyHoosier

Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:36 pm

LovePrunesAnet wrote:
compensateme wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:
Except there was a KXAN news article as well. Say what you want about that, but I highly doubt they would have put that out if DL wasn't planning something.

The source of the article (and news report) seems to be the same job posting that’s let your and others imaginations to run wild.

Especially coming from a local news station that can't even get basic facts correct...."Delta has eight hubs across the United States. The company's three other "Focus Cities" are Boston, Nashville and Raleigh-Durham."

Midwestindy

Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:50 pm

IndyHoosier wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
mpdpilot wrote:
And your statement is so difinitive. AUS is similar in size to CLT and has 10-15 million less travellers. You really think that in the future (we didn't specify a time frame which I will get to in a second) that this country won't be able to support another 15 million connecting passengers? By that logic, why would airlines ever grow or add new routes.

CLT and AUS aren't even on the same plane. CLT is the 3rd largest financial center in the country (was #2 until last year), and has the HQ of Bank of America which spends an insane amount on corporate travel, plus the East Coast HQ of Wells Fargo and Microsoft.

What city is #2 now? San Francisco?

Yep

malev2012 wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
mpdpilot wrote:
And your statement is so difinitive. AUS is similar in size to CLT and has 10-15 million less travellers. You really think that in the future (we didn't specify a time frame which I will get to in a second) that this country won't be able to support another 15 million connecting passengers? By that logic, why would airlines ever grow or add new routes.

CLT and AUS aren't even on the same plane. CLT is the 3rd largest financial center in the country (was #2 until last year), and has the HQ of Bank of America which spends an insane amount on corporate travel, plus the East Coast HQ of Wells Fargo and Microsoft.

Yes exactly! They are very different towns. Tech vs Finance. Austin is also a wealthier city with a household income of $71,000 vs $60,000. Austin is currently smaller than Charlotte, but is one of the fastest growing metros in US. Charlotte is growing at 13.9% to Austin's 28.3%, so double the rate of growth. At that rate of growth Austin will catch Charlotte by 2030 in population if the trend continues.

Not exactly what I was referring to, I was saying AUS doesn't have the business demand that CLT does. Plus population doesn't have much do air service demand.
DL DM, AA Gold 2018: AMS, ATL, AUS, BOS, BWI, CDG, CLT, CMN, DCA, DFW, DTW, DXB, EWR, FLL, FRA, HAV, HPN, JFK, JNB, IAD, IAH, IND, LAX, LGA, LHR, LOS, MAD, MCO, MIA, MSP, ORD, PBI, PHL, PVD, SAN, SEA, SJD, SLC, SFO, STL, TPA, TXL, ZRH....Loading....

malev2012

Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:38 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
IndyHoosier wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

Yep

malev2012 wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

Yes exactly! They are very different towns. Tech vs Finance. Austin is also a wealthier city with a household income of $71,000 vs $60,000. Austin is currently smaller than Charlotte, but is one of the fastest growing metros in US. Charlotte is growing at 13.9% to Austin's 28.3%, so double the rate of growth. At that rate of growth Austin will catch Charlotte by 2030 in population if the trend continues.

Not exactly what I was referring to, I was saying AUS doesn't have the business demand that CLT does. Plus population doesn't have much do air service demand.

Based on what? Typically higher paid people travel more for both business and leisure. The average Austin household makes over $11,000 more than those in Charlotte. Yes population doesn't but the number of affluent people among that population does.
Airlines flown: AA, AB, AC, AY, CO, DL, DY, F9, IB, KL, LH, LX, NW, NZ, OS, QF, SN, TP, UA, US, VA, VC, WN, XE,

Cubsrule

Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:43 pm

malev2012 wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
IndyHoosier wrote:

Yep

malev2012 wrote:

Based on what? Typically higher paid people travel more for both business and leisure. The average Austin household makes over $11,000 more than those in Charlotte. Yes population doesn't but the number of affluent people among that population does.

True, but without further data - something like Gini coefficient that tells us about distribution, average income is only so helpful. If Austin has lots of very rich people, lots of poor people, and a few people around the average income but Charlotte has lots of people around the average income, that could lead to different demand patterns.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

Polot

Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:54 pm

Average income is also meaningless without cost of living data, although Charlotte and Austin are probably close with maybe a slight edge towards Austin.

LovePrunesAnet

Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:00 pm

as others have already pointed out, if UA and AA already have clubs at Austin, DL playing catchup with a club finally at Austin isn't so much a commitment to make a new beach head in TX as much as having to defend its turf. Not saying they won't add flights to Austin, but opening a club isn't exactly a big message to infer most of what these 7 pages have. Even when said club gets a patio.

WPvsMW

Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:14 pm

LovePrunesAnet wrote:
as others have already pointed out, if UA and AA already have clubs at Austin, DL playing catchup with a club finally at Austin isn't so much a commitment to make a new beach head in TX as much as having to defend its turf. Not saying they won't add flights to Austin, but opening a club isn't exactly a big message to infer most of what these 7 pages have. Even when said club gets a patio.

The AUS SkyClub is getting a patio like the one in Concourse F at ATL? That absolutely confirms major international routes to AUS on DL!!! ;) ;)

mpdpilot

Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:23 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
malev2012 wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

Yep

True, but without further data - something like Gini coefficient that tells us about distribution, average income is only so helpful. If Austin has lots of very rich people, lots of poor people, and a few people around the average income but Charlotte has lots of people around the average income, that could lead to different demand patterns.

Polot wrote:
mpdpilot wrote:
This mentality is exactly what the other poster was saying about thinking outside the box a little. And your statement is so difinitive. AUS is similar in size to CLT and has 10-15 million less travellers . You really think that in the future (we didn't specify a time frame which I will get to in a second) that this country won't be able to support another 15 million connecting passengers? By that logic, why would airlines ever grow or add new routes.

??? CLT has ~32 million more passengers than AUS- ~46 million versus ~14 million.

This country will grow to support more passengers, but you are also ignoring the fact that other hubs will grow too. Not all growth will solely be at AUS.

So this is all good information, Looking back I was looking at historic numbers. But lets use your numbers for the rest of this.

So to both of the points made above, sure population isn't the end all be all of demand, but it certainly plays a part. So when we compare Austin (~2mil) to Charlotte (~2.5mil) they are similar. And when you look at some rough O&D calculations they get even closer (see below).

CLT: ~46mil travellers, with somewhere around 80% connecting or so says the Charlotte news paper. That means they have around ~9.2mil O&D passengers.
AUS: ~14mil travellers, with somewhere around 30% connecting based on how many people connect on Southwest because who else is making connections in Austin? That means we have around ~9.8mil O&D passengers.

Looking at those rough calculations (and I am sure whatever delta is doing, they aren't using rough calcuations) I don't think Austin would be a bad place to setup shop.

Now someone mentioned too that not all growth will be solely at AUS, that is also very true, and not to be overlooked. However, with around a 4.5% rate of growth each year, the number of travellers in this country will have doubled in 20 years. That is 250mil more people travelling, surely there would be room for 10-15mil of them travelling through Austin? And that isn't even taking into account the fact that lately AUS has been growing at a rate of double that (almost tripple).

Now to go a little more big picture (or crazy as some would say), if you are Delta and you are expecting to handle 17-20% of the 250mil traveller growth (approx. 42.5 mill). You could for sure handle that at your current hubs by building more gates/upgauging aircraft. I would say though as a good business, they are probably also looking to make sure that they are competitve everywhere and not just their hubs. Since the nonstop flight is best, and with more people travelling you can offer more nonstops on larger aircraft, where can we add more nonstops to, how about the fastest growing metropolitan area in the nation, Austin. Now if down the road more of that traveller growth occurs in Texas (i don't know if this will happen or not), what better place to have a focus city that can grow into a hub if it needs to/can?

FYI, I have forgotten about the original article that spurred this discussion. Even without the article, AUS is a pretty compelling place to put a foucs city. What would be a better place to put a focus city?
One mile of highway gets you one mile, one mile of runway gets you anywhere.

Gregarious1

Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:31 pm

I'm going to enjoy watching all the naysayers eat copious amounts of crow.

RDUDDJI

Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:32 pm

Congrats to AUS, if there's actually anything to this 7 page long thread with no comment/confirmation from DL... I suspect focus city or not (does the title really even matter?) AUS will see growth from DL and others in the coming years. I hope most is DL, but that remains to be seen.

Midwestindy wrote:

Considering that banking jobs are supposed to decrease by as much as 30% in the next five years (thanks, automation), I think I'd hold off on ordering the "We're #3!" banners. :D

Comparing the pax numbers of a hub to a non-hub has zero value, unless you have a way to compare organic O&D.
Sometimes we don't realize the good times when we're in them

malev2012

Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:43 pm

RDUDDJI wrote:
Congrats to AUS, if there's actually anything to this 7 page long thread with no comment/confirmation from DL... I suspect focus city or not (does the title really even matter?) AUS will see growth from DL and others in the coming years. I hope most is DL, but that remains to be seen.

Midwestindy wrote:

Considering that banking jobs are supposed to decrease by as much as 30% in the next five years (thanks, automation), I think I'd hold off on ordering the "We're #3!" banners. :D

Comparing the pax numbers of a hub to a non-hub has zero value, unless you have a way to compare organic O&D.

From the post above, they were stating that O&D is actually larger at AUS (9.8) than CLT (9.2). CLT is just a low cost connecting airport, so US dba AA feeds a lot of connections through it. Also it looks as if DL is starting to make up ground on UA from the latest numbers from the port: http://austintexas.gov/news/may-2018-pa ... -bergstrom
Airlines flown: AA, AB, AC, AY, CO, DL, DY, F9, IB, KL, LH, LX, NW, NZ, OS, QF, SN, TP, UA, US, VA, VC, WN, XE,

Cubsrule

Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:46 pm

malev2012 wrote:
RDUDDJI wrote:

Midwestindy wrote:

From the post above, they were stating that O&D is actually larger at AUS (9.8) than CLT (9.2). CLT is just a low cost connecting airport, so US dba AA feeds a lot of connections through it. Also it looks as if DL is starting to make up ground on UA from the latest numbers from the port: http://austintexas.gov/news/may-2018-pa ... -bergstrom

It's still not quite an apples-to-apples comparison, though. Look at the number of LFC flights in AUS versus CLT.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

Midwestindy

Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:57 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
malev2012 wrote:
RDUDDJI wrote:

It's still not quite an apples-to-apples comparison, though. Look at the number of LFC flights in AUS versus CLT.

^^^^
AUS has tons of ULCC/LCC flights driving down fares and hiking up demand, CLT has none of that because those carriers can't get gate space.

Either way:
https://www.orlandoairports.net/site/up ... D_Rank.pdf
CLT has 12,937,716 domestic O&D pax, AUS has 12,235,796 domestic O&D pax. Add another 1+ million in international O&D from CLT, and around 600,000 int'l O&D pax from AUS.
DL DM, AA Gold 2018: AMS, ATL, AUS, BOS, BWI, CDG, CLT, CMN, DCA, DFW, DTW, DXB, EWR, FLL, FRA, HAV, HPN, JFK, JNB, IAD, IAH, IND, LAX, LGA, LHR, LOS, MAD, MCO, MIA, MSP, ORD, PBI, PHL, PVD, SAN, SEA, SJD, SLC, SFO, STL, TPA, TXL, ZRH....Loading....

LovePrunesAnet

Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:09 pm

malev2012 wrote:

CLT vs AUS?
CLT isn't "just a low cost connecting airport"
It's a major established Southeastern hub, 2nd largest in the AA system thanks to the foundations of Piedmont establishing it in the 1980's, prior to US Air, prior to AA. CLT has had almost 40 years to become what it is today, but it's been a monster hub for certainly the past 20 of them if not longer. Years into the AA merger, nothing appears to be changing near or long term for AA's strategy for CLT, so whatever happens to the population of Charlotte or it's bankers (?) or its O&D numbers do really is of little comparative value to Austin population. It remains to be seen if the business people in a state capital of TX need to travel as heavily out of state as the business people of Charlotte.

It's nice of you to worry about kiosks and automation hurting the banking business, but I the retail bank tellers (you know, the ones who would lose their jobs? :shakehead: ) are NOT the ones flying around on business from or even through CLT.

Perhaps in 40 years half of the posters on this thread will be eating crow when we see that AUS really needed 80 to 90 more gates and DOUBLE the number of runways as current, some of the numbers thrown around in this thread by people who REALLY REALLY REALLY want to be a focus city. All because of a job posting to hire a sales rep. Good Lord people. :roll:

But some of you guys would make great PR pep rally folks for the Austin Chamber of Commerce or the people managing the airport.

malev2012

Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:25 pm

LovePrunesAnet wrote:
malev2012 wrote:

CLT vs AUS?
CLT isn't "just a low cost connecting airport"
It's a major established Southeastern hub, 2nd largest in the AA system thanks to the foundations of Piedmont establishing it in the 1980's, prior to US Air, prior to AA. CLT has had almost 40 years to become what it is today, but it's been a monster hub for certainly the past 20 of them if not longer. Years into the AA merger, nothing appears to be changing near or long term for AA's strategy for CLT, so whatever happens to the population of Charlotte or it's bankers (?) or its O&D numbers do really is of little comparative value to Austin population. It remains to be seen if the business people in a state capital of TX need to travel as heavily out of state as the business people of Charlotte.

It's nice of you to worry about kiosks and automation hurting the banking business, but I the retail bank tellers (you know, the ones who would lose their jobs? :shakehead: ) are NOT the ones flying around on business from or even through CLT.

Perhaps in 40 years half of the posters on this thread will be eating crow when we see that AUS really needed 80 to 90 more gates and DOUBLE the number of runways as current, some of the numbers thrown around in this thread by people who REALLY REALLY REALLY want to be a focus city. All because of a job posting to hire a sales rep. Good Lord people. :roll:

But some of you guys would make great PR pep rally folks for the Austin Chamber of Commerce or the people managing the airport.

So is CLT not the lowest cost hub in the AA network? Why else would AA push connections through CLT with under 20% O&D if not for the low cost?

Also it's not tellers being automated, that's already happening, its trading floors, underwriting and actuaries. Those are people based in Charlotte. Yea Austin is a pretty much a backwater rust belt town with nothing but state government employment with little demand for out of state travel. It doesnt have large scale employers based there (Dell, Dimensional Fund, Indeed) or large tech out posts (Facebook, Apple, Google, Amazon, Visa, Samsung). As Yogi Berra said "No one goes there it's too crowded"

N717TW

Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:29 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
mpdpilot wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:
AUS doesn't currently have the infrastructure for a hub operation, but they have plenty of space to develop it. The airport is well laid out for a future hub operation, they could add a third runway next to the current 12,000 ft one with little to no property acquisition and build several new 30+ gate concourses to the south of the current one, with possibly a southern terminal/entrance in the super long-term (most of this is currently being proposed in the latest master plan). A fourth runway could even be added if they relocate the jail elsewhere and the airport buys the land.

I agree AUS will never be ATL, DFW, IAH or even MSP/DTW. I see it in the 250-350 flight range long term; a bigger SLC mostly serving E/W connections for those in the south central region (as well as intra-Texas connections) and perhaps a secondary Latin America gateway in cooperation with jv partner AM.

Totally agree, and I would bet that that is part of why it could be an option down the road. There are a lot of capacity limited airports in this country, and AUS is not one at the moment. Perhaps, Delta is taking something from the limits they are facing in seattle.

To your last point, The beauty of this, is that it doesn't have to be an ATL, DFW, or IAH, and you are exactly right that it just needs to serve its region. The interesting thing in my mind though, is what if in the future, it does begin to rival MSP or DTW. A little far fetched, I know, but I love thinking about all the posibilities that involve bigger airports :)

Not gonna happen. There isn't room in the market for a 400+ Delta flight per day (DTW/MSP-sized) hub in competition with AA @ DFW, UA @ IAH, and WN at DAL and HOU. Not in the 3-15 year term.
There just isn't.

RDU-sized -- maybe 60-80 flights a day, including Aeromexico codeshares -- sure, that's in the realm of possibility within a decade. In that construct the region served is AUS; there won't be a lot of intra-TX flights.

Delta has been very explicit about its plans for upgauging and the cost benefits it brings. (See the 12/2017 Investor Day presentation.) Running 3x CR9s out of Texas city XXX is simply not cost or frequency competitive against 6x AA 319/738s.

This is actually very consistent with DL's previously stated "Texas gap" in its network. DL doesn't actually need a mega hub in Texas given that ATL does what the old DFW hub used to do reasonably well. Delta does need a presence in the market and being #3 (as it would be in DFW/DAL or IAH/HOU) isn't usually a profitable spot in the airline industry. That said, 80 to 100 flights would allow DL to be #1 in AUS and have a small Texas franchise from which it could then leverage value in smaller West/South Texas markets.

LovePrunesAnet

Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:47 pm

ADrum23 wrote:
AUS doesn't currently have the infrastructure for a hub operation, but they have plenty of space to develop it. The airport is well laid out for a future hub operation, they could add a third runway next to the current 12,000 ft one with little to no property acquisition and build several new 30+ gate concourses to the south of the current one, with possibly a southern terminal/entrance in the super long-term (most of this is currently being proposed in the latest master plan). A fourth runway could even be added if they relocate the jail elsewhere and the airport buys the land.

I agree AUS will never be ATL, DFW, IAH or even MSP/DTW. I see it in the 250-350 flight range long term; a bigger SLC mostly serving E/W connections for those in the south central region (as well as intra-Texas connections) and perhaps a secondary Latin America gateway in cooperation with jv partner AM.

you forecast DL at AUS as having...
250-350-MILE-LONG flights
or
250-250 QUANTITY of DAILY flights

Just want to be sure I'm reading your prediction correctly.
there is virtually ZERO chance of the latter

ADrum23

Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:55 pm

compensateme wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:

The source of the article (and news report) seems to be the same job posting that’s let your and others imaginations to run wild. DL did not comment on their story, and its knowledge is very basic.

As far as DL launching AMS next year - zero chance of this happening. Long haul flights have the potential to lose a lot of money, and DL’s the fourth horse in the race in AUS. Until DL establishes itself in the corporate arena, it won’t be considered.

Then why don't you contact KXAN and tell them they produced a false story and need to retract it quickly and without haste. Here is the contact link.

https://www.kxan.com/contact-us

Go ahead, tell them. It's obviously fake news and completely inaccurate, so they need to be corrected.

ADrum23

Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:00 pm

IndyHoosier wrote:
LovePrunesAnet wrote:
compensateme wrote:

Especially coming from a local news station that can't even get basic facts correct...."Delta has eight hubs across the United States. The company's three other "Focus Cities" are Boston, Nashville and Raleigh-Durham."

News outlets make those kind of blunders all the time. So we are using that as an excuse to discredit the whole story? Got it.

ADrum23

Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:16 pm

Gregarious1 wrote:
I'm going to enjoy watching all the naysayers eat copious amounts of crow.

Agreed. I'm tired of explaining myself, some users on this thread are just trolling at this point to get attention (like LovePrunesAnet), while others just don't get it. It's beating a dead horse at this point.

Like I said, we get caught up in conventional wisdom and have trouble seeing the bigger picture. The status quo can and will change, unthinkable things will happen in the future.

Midwestindy

Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:16 pm

LovePrunesAnet wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:

or

But DL NEEDS another hub desperately, they only have the highest net profit out of every airline in the world. They need a hub in AUS so bad, that they will essentially slow all domestic growth to a halt and deploy all resources in AUS. Forget about their hub in SEA, focus cities in CVG, BOS, RDU, plus their de-facto focus cities in LAS, MCO, IND, e.t.c, what DL really cares about is making AUS a hub, even though they currently have no p2p routes, no long-haul flights, and are just now getting a skyclub. ;)
Last edited by Midwestindy on Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ADrum23

Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:20 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
LovePrunesAnet wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:

or

But DL NEEDS another hub desperately, they only have the highest net profit out of every airline in the world. They need a hub in AUS so bad, that they will essentially slow all domestic growth to a halt and deploy all resources in AUS. Forget about their hub in SEA, focus cities in CVG, BOS, RDU, plus their de-facto focus cities in LAS, MCO, IND, e.t.c, what DL really cares about is making AUS a hub, even though they currently have no p2p routes, no long-haul flights, and are just now getting a skyclub.

Really Midwestindy? You are going to stoop to their level?

What is wrong with having an honest conversation (which is what we were having until recently)? If you don't like this thread, don't post here.

compensateme

Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:31 pm

ADrum23 wrote:
News outlets make those kind of blunders all the time. So we are using that as an excuse to discredit the whole story? Got it.

Please show me where DL confirmed the story — don’t be ignorant, there’s no way that DL, as the fourth horse in the race, is going to give its competitors any heads up. Instead, the story relied on the LinkedIn posting that has allowed your imagination to run wild - in recent weeks, I’ve read dozens of threads that have described DL’s “BIG” plans for AUS, based entirely on a.net speculation.

In a few years, when the hub never materializes, you will be explaining all the reasons why it didn’t, when in reality.. there were no plans. Just another example of a.net folklore.
If you are an American who drives an auto built by a foreign-owned company yet complains about your favorite airline buying Airbus, then you are nothing more than a whiny hypocrite.

Midwestindy

Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:31 pm

ADrum23 wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
LovePrunesAnet wrote:

or

But DL NEEDS another hub desperately, they only have the highest net profit out of every airline in the world. They need a hub in AUS so bad, that they will essentially slow all domestic growth to a halt and deploy all resources in AUS. Forget about their hub in SEA, focus cities in CVG, BOS, RDU, plus their de-facto focus cities in LAS, MCO, IND, e.t.c, what DL really cares about is making AUS a hub, even though they currently have no p2p routes, no long-haul flights, and are just now getting a skyclub.

What is wrong with having an honest conversation (which is what we were having until recently)? If you don't like this thread, don't post here.

It's fine to have honest conversation, but it needs to be based in reality or else this forum becomes a joke (which many on other forums already think it is)

ADrum23

Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:41 pm

compensateme wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:

Please show me where DL confirmed the story — don’t be ignorant, there’s no way that DL, as the fourth horse in the race, is going to give its competitors any heads up. Instead, the story relied on the LinkedIn posting that has allowed your imagination to run wild - in recent weeks, I’ve read dozens of threads that have described DL’s “BIG” plans for AUS, based entirely on a.net speculation.

In a few years, when the hub never materializes, you will be explaining all the reasons why it didn’t, when in reality.. there were no plans. Just another example of a.net folklore.

Then put your money where your mouth is and do what I said above. Go tell KXAN they made a false story and need to retract it.

malev2012

Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:44 pm

ADrum23 wrote:
compensateme wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:

Then put your money where your mouth is and do what I said above. Go tell KXAN they made a false story and need to retract it.

Don't you understand Austin is a backwater town that will amount to nothing! We need to spread this message and maybe people will stop moving here!

compensateme

Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:51 pm

ADrum23 wrote:

For piece of mind, why don’t you e-mail then and ask if Delta itself confirmed their story? I guarantee you they didn’t. It’s just sloppy journalism, some airline geeks saw the LinkedIn posting, told the station about it, and they ran a story.

No different than the SYD decibele. DL told an Australian newspaper they intended to operate the 350 on “select Asia/Pacific routes,” and the paper ran a story saying DL intended to operate the 350 to SYD, even though that was never said. Yet it became a legend on this forum, with thousands of man hours spent debating something that was never stated in the first place. I predict people like you will take the AUS hub into similar folklore- a ton of
BS and thousands of hours spent debating something that was never confirmed to begin with.
If you are an American who drives an auto built by a foreign-owned company yet complains about your favorite airline buying Airbus, then you are nothing more than a whiny hypocrite.

ADrum23

Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:56 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

It's fine to have honest conversation, but it needs to be based in reality or else this forum becomes a joke (which many on other forums already think it is)

And unlike other threads, this is at least partially based in reality. I certainly agree some of it has been over the top (like growing AUS to MSP/DTW levels), but the basic concept of DL putting a focus city and possibly a hub in AUS is not entirely fantasy, if you look at the info we have plus look at the socio-economic trends in the region.

So I really don't get why some people (not you Midwestindy) are getting so worked up over the mere suggestion that DL could possibly put a hub in AUS over the long term (which we have already stated would not happen overnight and would take many years to build). None of us know what DL will ultimately do in AUS, but we shouldn't be so quick to dismiss things. Again, if people don't like this topic, don't post here.

compensateme

Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:57 pm

malev2012 wrote:
Don't you understand Austin is a backwater town that will amount to nothing! We need to spread this message and maybe people will stop moving here!

Wow, what does that have anything to do with what I said? DL’s a for-profit business - while it will strategically grow AUS perhaps into a focus city a la RDU, it’s not going to spend $5B (as suggested) building a hub there. DL doesn’t have to serve MFE-OKC (via AUS) to be competitive, nor is It going to recoup the investment, especially when DL’s the fourth horse in the race locally and regionally.

compensateme

Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:05 pm

ADrum23 wrote:
And unlike other threads, this is at least partially based in reality.

There’s absolutely nothing about this thread based on reality — you just suggested that DL will probably announce service to AMS for 2019, a comment that shows how silly and out of touch the AUS fan boys are.

The only people worked up are the AUS fan boys, who took a single job posting and turned it into DL devleoping a $5B (!) hub. I find it ironic that a certain poster’s DTW rants are mocked (including youn implicity above) on a daily basis, even though he hasn’t participated in the forum in quite awhile, yet the AUS fan boys have talked endlessly in oodles of threads about DL’s “big plans” — plans that quite frankly don’t exist.

malev2012

Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:17 pm

compensateme wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:

There’s absolutely nothing about this thread based on reality — you just suggested that DL will probably announce service to AMS for 2019, a comment that shows how silly and out of touch the AUS fan boys are.

The only people worked up are the AUS fan boys, who took a single job posting and turned it into DL devleoping a $5B (!) hub. I find it ironic that a certain poster’s DTW rants are mocked (including youn implicity above) on a daily basis, even though he hasn’t participated in the forum in quite awhile, yet the AUS fan boys have talked endlessly in oodles of threads about DL’s “big plans” — plans that quite frankly don’t exist.

So where else does DL have a SkyClub w/ a Skydeck that doesn't have international flights? I have no vision of a hub, but I think an AMS flight is highly likely based on the investment in the SkyClub. The SkyClub was first publicly announced at the airport last December, the expansion should come online next year. Yes people get out of control thing 388s are flying everywhere, but DL has increased there passenger counts this year and are catching up to UA, and AUS is connected to all their hubs: LAX, SEA, MSP, DTW, ATL, SLC JFK and several focus cities: CVG, RDU, BOS. A two years ago there was no CVG, RDU, BOS or SEA.

compensateme

Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:08 am

malev2012 wrote:
So where else does DL have a SkyClub w/ a Skydeck that doesn't have international flights?

Only two SkyClubs have Sky Decks; it doesn’t foreshadow anything. Heck, DL’s currently renovating the clubs at DTW and opted against the Sky Deck. It’s all about cost and logistics — DL would have to build a brand new SkyClub at most incumbent clubs, including DTW, to provide a Sky Deck. And at AUS... they’re building a brand SkyClub.

LovePrunesAnet

Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:31 am

malev2012 wrote:
compensateme wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:

So where else does DL have a SkyClub w/ a Skydeck that doesn't have international flights? I have no vision of a hub, but I think an AMS flight is highly likely based on the investment in the SkyClub. The SkyClub was first publicly announced at the airport last December, the expansion should come online next year. Yes people get out of control thing 388s are flying everywhere, but DL has increased there passenger counts this year and are catching up to UA, and AUS is connected to all their hubs: LAX, SEA, MSP, DTW, ATL, SLC JFK and several focus cities: CVG, RDU, BOS. A two years ago there was no CVG, RDU, BOS or SEA.

okay wait a minute. So now it's going to have international flights in Austin because there is a deck in the Delta lounge? Because of a freaking patio? That's a worse jump of conclusion then the stupid LinkedIn help wanted ad. am I not allowed to post the contradictory opinion because it's considered being a troll? Give me a break. I'm just calling out BS.

people are saying if they don't like the thread not to post... how about if you don't like that you're going to get people to disagree with your crazy spculation, then YOU dont post. Give me a break, this is an internet forum.

ADrum23

Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:04 am

LovePrunesAnet wrote:
malev2012 wrote:
compensateme wrote:

okay wait a minute. So now it's going to have international flights in Austin because there is a deck in the Delta lounge? Because of a freaking patio? That's a worse jump of conclusion then the stupid LinkedIn help wanted ad. am I not allowed to post the contradictory opinion because it's considered being a troll? Give me a break. I'm just calling out BS.

people are saying if they don't like the thread not to post... how about if you don't like that you're going to get people to disagree with your crazy spculation, then YOU dont post. Give me a break, this is an internet forum.

I don't give a flying rip if people disagree, that's a good thing, but you could stop the snark because you sure ain't contributing jack with that.

You obviously can't read a lick of info because most of what I have written on this thread is about what COULD HAPPEN, not what WILL HAPPEN. Are we not allowed to do that on this forum? Geez.

End of the day, here two facts that cannot be denied.

Fact: DL will be ramping up operations at AUS one way or another in the near future. To what extent, we don't know.

Fact: AUS has the space to build the infrastructure for a large hub operation. How much they actually build long term will depend on how big of an operation DL and others build at AUS.

Anything beyond that is speculation, but it is ok to speculate a bit. My gosh, lighten up people.

WPvsMW

Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:09 am

Structure, logic, eloquence. Very nice post.
As I wrote upthread, IMO this looks like "MSP South" in the making, or even "DFW redux".

Midwestindy

Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:15 pm

I think this thread has run its course for now, once there is more credible evidence this will become a better discussion, but right now there isn't much to discuss and as a result this thread has gone off the deep end.

aemoreira1981

Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:38 pm

Within the DL/KE JV, could AUS-ICN happen eventually on the 787-9, 3x weekly on KE metal?

ERJ170

Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:00 pm

Why are people thinking AMS? DL has proven CDG before AMS.. even at RDU, they started CDG and said they would evaluate adding AMS based on the success of CDG..
Aiming High and going far..

malev2012

Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:35 pm

ERJ170 wrote:
Why are people thinking AMS? DL has proven CDG before AMS.. even at RDU, they started CDG and said they would evaluate adding AMS based on the success of CDG..

Because DL did SXSW flights from AMS and not CDG.

LAXdude1023

Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:39 pm

This thread is an example of a mountain out of a molehill...
Next flight: IAH-UIO-IAH on UA in Y

WPvsMW

Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:56 pm

... a specialty of a.net. In fact, bigger mountains have been made from smaller molehills. Check out the EXE intergalactic hub thread. More than a mountain, it's a galaxy.

LovePrunesAnet

Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:15 pm

WPvsMW wrote:
... a specialty of a.net. In fact, bigger mountains have been made from smaller molehills. Check out the EXE intergalactic hub thread. More than a mountain, it's a galaxy.

The only reason EXE hasn't been successful is because they lack a PATIO / DECK / PORCH thing at an airport lounge, which as we all know is the indicator an airport has "arrived" on the international stage, with flights to enviable locations, etc. But shame on you, you're going to get this riveting thread off topic!
Last edited by LovePrunesAnet on Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

axiom

Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:19 pm

WPvsMW wrote:

The difference is that nobody - except maybe, maybe the thread poster - took that seriously. Here, and in the two other AUS threads to loiter on the first page of the forum, we have people who emphatically believe in AUS.

SATexan

Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:37 pm

Can somebody kindly provide a link for this AUS airport masterplan? I being a regular to this airport don't think there is ANY space in the current framework to add 30-40-50 gates. May be I am wrong but after reading this thread I am incredibly curious to see what they are planning and how they are planning.

Gregarious1

Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:51 pm

You should be able to Google it. They have a few concepts drawn up and the final master plan should be released this fall.

LovePrunesAnet

Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:53 pm

SATexan wrote:
Can somebody kindly provide a link for this AUS airport masterplan? I being a regular to this airport don't think there is ANY space in the current framework to add 30-40-50 gates. May be I am wrong but after reading this thread I am incredibly curious to see what they are planning and how they are planning.

http://www.abiamasterplan.com/ shows the 3 remaining alternatives.
http://www.austintexas.gov/page/airport-master-plan shows the original ideas, most of which were discarded

not sure the website for the patio.

winginit

Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:47 pm

aemoreira1981 wrote:
Within the DL/KE JV, could AUS-ICN happen eventually on the 787-9, 3x weekly on KE metal?

Not unless they're willing to axe DFW.

It's important to remember that, somehow, even though the DL/KE JV is buttoned up, KE will keep their code on AA's DFWICN undoubtedly in exchange for interline connectivity on AA over DFW from KE's own ICNDFW service. That's clearly a commercial cooperation that's important to KE if it's persisting through the JV with DL, so KE wouldn't put that at risk if they intend to keep flying DFW themselves.

LAXdude1023

Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:01 pm

winginit wrote:
aemoreira1981 wrote:

Not unless they're willing to axe DFW.

It's important to remember that, somehow, even though the DL/KE JV is buttoned up, KE will keep their code on AA's DFWICN undoubtedly in exchange for interline connectivity on AA over DFW from KE's own ICNDFW service. That's clearly a commercial cooperation that's important to KE if it's persisting through the JV with DL, so KE wouldn't put that at risk if they intend to keep flying DFW themselves.

I dont see them axing DFW at all. DFW-ICN makes up more than half of Texas-Korea market.
Next flight: IAH-UIO-IAH on UA in Y

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos