Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LotsaRunway

Re: Southwest Schedule Extension 6/28

Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:56 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
flyiguy wrote:
WN732 wrote:

No way. That's a WN staple. It would be sacrilege.

With so many people having peanut allergies now a days and not needing to keep them and just serve pretzels, or premium snacks, or just makes more sense.

Fly

Reason I've heard it's a revenue stream decision.
WN has seen a spiking trend in a increase of Peanut Allergies aka No Peanut flights. Going hand in hand it's seen a decline the same in Early Bird and Business Select sales. The Traveling public gotten wise on how to Beat the WN system by buying the cheapest fare and saying you have a Peanut allergy.
This automatically bumps you a pre boarding passengers. Only drawl back is if you don't get Exit row or a free drink. Plus side you get a seat up front most times and save hundreds of dollars while still getting rapid rewards points.

Flyguy

Wow! If WN's system grants preboarding for a peanut allergy, why not fix that instead of dropping peanut distribution? This seems bass-ackwards to me. :shakehead:

LotsaRunway

Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:00 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
Going hand in hand it's seen a decline the same in Early Bird and Business Select sales. Flyguy

Interesting that Early Bird is declining. It seems to be very successful on most of the flights I take. I even had a recent flight where at least three people who paid for early bird ended up with a choice of only center seats. As the flight attendant said when one complained, "You get to pick the best one!"

Jshank83

Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:08 pm

LotsaRunway wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:
Going hand in hand it's seen a decline the same in Early Bird and Business Select sales. Flyguy

Interesting that Early Bird is declining. It seems to be very successful on most of the flights I take. I even had a recent flight where at least three people who paid for early bird ended up with a choice of only center seats. As the flight attendant said when one complained, "You get to pick the best one!"

Every flight I am on I get pushed further and further back in the B group. I figured this meant early bird buys were up. I have bought early bird and been in B group even.

jplatts

Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:21 pm

Will WN ever add nonstop service to ATL from ABQ, CVG, OMA, PDX, SMF, or SJC? While most of WN's nonstop service out of ATL is to former FL destinations, WN still has opportunities to add nonstop service to additional destinations out of ATL.

LotsaRunway

Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:21 pm

flyiguy wrote:
Rumor has it peanuts are going away!!! Fly

That can't be right. My best friend’s girlfriend’s sister dated somebody whose mother took a UA flight and spoke to a flight attendant that played cards with a WN pilot who said they would never drop peanuts because the airline is committed to passengers whose service elephants love them. You can take that to the bank!

Jshank83

Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:29 pm

jplatts wrote:
Will WN ever add nonstop service to ATL from ABQ, CVG, OMA, PDX, SMF, or SJC? While most of WN's nonstop service out of ATL is to former FL destinations, WN still has opportunities to add nonstop service to additional destinations out of ATL.

Ever is a long time. so sure.

ADrum23

Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:32 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
jplatts wrote:

If I were WN though, I’d focus on growing BNA over ATL, because you are much more dominant there. Maintain ATL largely as is (with a few additions or subtractions here and there), but build up BNA into a large station with 150+ flights.

mwmav8r01

Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:02 pm

ADrum23 wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:
jplatts wrote:

If I were WN though, I’d focus on growing BNA over ATL, because you are much more dominant there. Maintain ATL largely as is (with a few additions or subtractions here and there), but build up BNA into a large station with 150+ flights.

St Louis is STL not BNA. ;-)

jplatts

Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:54 pm

mwmav8r01 wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:

While the airport code for St. Louis is STL, ADrum23 is actually referring to Nashville (whose airport code is BNA) when he mentions building up BNA into a large station with 150+ flights.

Jshank83

Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:56 pm

jplatts wrote:
mwmav8r01 wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:

While the airport code for St. Louis is STL, ADrum23 is actually referring to Nashville (whose airport code is BNA) when he mentions building up BNA into a large station with 150+ flights.

He knew what he was saying (that WN should build STL that big, instead of BNA). hence the winky face.

wnflyguy

Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:17 am

Other than LGB extra flying extended into November and December schedule. it's been quiet for Rumors and speculation at this time for the schedule release.

Only things other than new flying in the Rumor pot.
1 The Elimination of Peanuts.
And 2 the speculation that the 737-800NG ETOPS aircraft are getting a refreshed paint job with a possible Hawaiian flare added!

Will see at 0500 Central/Herb when the full schedule loads into OAG.

Flyguy
My Wings are clipped just another Retired Airline person. The Ultimate Armchair out of the loop airline industry geek. Aloha Mr Hand!

EvanWSFO

Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:25 am

jplatts wrote:
alggag wrote:
CRP should be happy to have the little bit of WN service that they do have to HOU and I think the fact that they are a legacy station from WN's early days are about the only thing keeping it alive. Aren't they perpetually close to last place in terms of load factors?

GSP is currently the only WN destination in the contiguous U.S. that has less demand for WN service than CRP does. WN still continues to serve CRP because CRP is one of the legacy Texas stations from WN's early days. Another big difference is that DL does not currently have any service to CRP, whereas most of the airports outside of Texas that WN pulled out of such as DAY, FNT, JAN, and EYW are still served by AA, DL, and UA.

I'm not convinced WN would hold on to CRP just because it was an early destination. They've already reduced the number of flights. I've been on DAL-HOU-CRP flights, and there were more than a few empty seats. Sooner or later, economics wins out over nostalgia.
I have been on this site 15 years. A unrecoverable email account led me to starting over. Those of you who call me a rookie, you may stop ok?

Midwestindy

Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:38 am

jplatts wrote:
mwmav8r01 wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:

:banghead: :white:
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List

SteveXC500

Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:37 am

wnflyguy wrote:
Other than LGB extra flying extended into November and December schedule. it's been quiet for Rumors and speculation at this time for the schedule release.

Only things other than new flying in the Rumor pot.
1 The Elimination of Peanuts.
And 2 the speculation that the 737-800NG ETOPS aircraft are getting a refreshed paint job with a possible Hawaiian flare added!

Will see at 0500 Central/Herb when the full schedule loads into OAG.

Flyguy

Guessing some seasonal starts again but not full spring break until the August/September release

jplatts

Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:27 am

Will WN be announcing additional nonstop routes out of HOU tomorrow? WN is still expanding both domestically and internationally at HOU, and WN could add nonstop service to CVG, CLE, DTW, MSP, and PUJ out of HOU. WN also could bring back HOU-LIT nonstop service in order to provide connectivity to international destinations from LIT.

HOU-PUJ will likely be one of the next international adds that WN will make at HOU since PUJ already has nonstop service out of ATL, BWI, MDW, and FLL on WN and since HOU is one of the major international gateways for WN. I am surprised that WN hasn't yet added HOU-PUJ nonstop service, especially with WN already serving PUJ nonstop from ATL, BWI, MDW, and FLL.

pdt2f

Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:31 am

jplatts wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:
Yep CRP’s ties to WN’s early history likely guarantee they’ll never close the station. However, they’ll also likely never grow it to anything more than what it’s been for eons. I can’t ever envision a second route from CRP, not even a seasonal Saturday only route. Don’t people on here say that despite CRP’s poor loads, that cargo is a major contributor to the station’s continued viability?

I could see WN possibly bringing back CRP-DAL nonstop service since DAL is one of the top destinations traveled to out of CRP that isn't currently served nonstop from CRP (even though AA already has nonstop service to nearby DFW out of CRP). WN also did serve CRP nonstop from DAL back in the early to mid 1980's, but WN discontinued CRP-DAL nonstop service sometime in the late 1980's. However, WN will probably never add nonstop service to any destinations outside of Texas out of CRP.

I highly doubt WN uses highly valuable DAL slots and gates for CRP service.
“The sky peoclaims God’s glory - the vault of heaven, the Hand of Him who made it.”

BNA based.

greenair727

Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:34 am

jplatts wrote:
Will WN be announcing additional nonstop routes out of HOU tomorrow? WN is still expanding both domestically and internationally at HOU, and WN could add nonstop service to CVG, CLE, DTW, MSP, and PUJ out of HOU. WN also could bring back HOU-LIT nonstop service in order to provide connectivity to international destinations from LIT...

I'm hoping for HOU-CLE and MCI-CLE.

mwmav8r01

Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:38 am

jplatts wrote:
Will WN be announcing additional nonstop routes out of HOU tomorrow? WN is still expanding both domestically and internationally at HOU, and WN could add nonstop service to CVG, CLE, DTW, MSP, and PUJ out of HOU. WN also could bring back HOU-LIT nonstop service in order to provide connectivity to international destinations from LIT.

HOU-PUJ will likely be one of the next international adds that WN will make at HOU since PUJ already has nonstop service out of ATL, BWI, MDW, and FLL on WN and since HOU is one of the major international gateways for WN. I am surprised that WN hasn't yet added HOU-PUJ nonstop service, especially with WN already serving PUJ nonstop from ATL, BWI, MDW, and FLL.

I am shocked we dont see PUJ atleast Sat only. I would also like to see MEX from some other city. Maybe PHX once intl starts there.

And sorry for the humor. I was suggesting STL grow. Lots of gates available. Seem to do well out of there. Still quite a few gaps, (SLC, ABQ, JAX, ORF, RIC, MHT, BUF, CLT, CVG, IND, MEM, BHM, etc)

Jshank83

Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:53 am

Because predictions are fun, I'll make one. Nothing I feel strongly about though.
I would love to see STL-ECP/PBI start up an extension earlier but I doubt it happens.
I'd like to see them find a way to bring SNA back or start another LA area airport.
Might also be one too early for another Intl or JAX add for STL.

That all said I'll say either STL-JAX or STL-RIC/ORF.
I think a new STL route is more likely on the next extension.

zackary747

Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:57 am

Well, I am sensing the pattern that IND won't get anything until IND-OAK starts in July. Now, I could be wrong and pleasantly surprised. I'm still pulling for that IND-BNA connections. It's going to happen, I just don't know when.
Indianapolis Airport Spotter

Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Instagram, Pinkfroot

Travels (2020): ATL-IND (DL)

joeljack

Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:31 am

zackary747 wrote:
Well, I am sensing the pattern that IND won't get anything until IND-OAK starts in July. Now, I could be wrong and pleasantly surprised. I'm still pulling for that IND-BNA connections. It's going to happen, I just don't know when.

Just like I’m pulling for the OMA-BNA connection, it will happen, just when is the question in my mind.

rj777

Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:33 am

Any rumblings about MKE?

smokeybandit

Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:38 am

Schedule hasn't yet been extended. I still see Jan 6.

jco613

Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:59 am

smokeybandit wrote:
Schedule hasn't yet been extended. I still see Jan 6.

I still see this as well. Very odd as it's almost 8am here on the east coast. Dare I say they are holding back because of a "special announcement"? :stirthepot:

Midwestindy

Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:10 pm

zackary747 wrote:
Schedule is out.

Lots of cuts from IND
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List

zackary747

Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:12 pm

Schedule is out.

ibthebigd

Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:16 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
zackary747 wrote:
Schedule is out.

Lots of cuts from IND
What all they cut?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

zackary747

Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:16 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
zackary747 wrote:
Schedule is out.

Lots of cuts from IND

Such as? Frequency cuts? Seasonal cuts?

ADrum23

Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:23 pm

Looks like BNA-EWR is resuming

Cubsrule

Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:27 pm

ADrum23 wrote:

Nashville has grown since last time but I don’t know that it has grown enough to ameliorate the horrid load factors (several months were in the 40s IIRC).
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

WNflyer1523
Topic Author

Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:30 pm

Looks like BDL-LAS is ending
Last edited by WNflyer1523 on Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dbo861

Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:30 pm

DSM-PHX comes back Saturday only. Last year it was Saturday/Sunday and this fall it's operating daily. I figure they're waiting to see how the daily flight goes before they make it permanent.

No other changes at DSM.

ADrum23

Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:31 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:

Nashville has grown since last time but I don’t know that it has grown enough to ameliorate the horrid load factors (several months were in the 40s IIRC).

When was it last cut?

With BNA growing into a large WN station, I think loads should be better

SteveXC500

Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:32 pm

MSP picks up 1x DAILY to DAL. Continuation of Saturday-only MCO and resumption of Saturday-only FLL.
Still no pick up of LAS. WN must really not want to compete with DL, NK, and SY out of MSP.

tphuang

Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:33 pm

Looks like EWR-MCO is dropped completely and EWR-FLL back to twice a day in February.

BOS-ATL is still at twice daily.

joeljack

Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:37 pm

OMA:
MDW-4x (Same as last winter)
STL-2x (Reduced I think from 3x)
DCA-1x Same
MCO-Saturday Only (Same I think?)
PHX-3x-Same I think
LAS-2x (I think it was 3x last winter)
LAX-Gone, it was just announced as daily year-round and had a press release on it, 2 months later it doesn't get extended beyond January 6th. VERY unusual for Southwest.
TPA-Not there for this time of year (same)
DAL-1x (Same)
HOU-1x (Same)

DSM: All same as last year, except there is a PHX flight SAT only.

I'm surprised at the reductions from OMA, mainly LAX. I would have thought LAS might have been reduced to 2x daily with the new LAX flight but the LAX flight is gone! STL, some winters WN ran it at 2x daily vs 3x daily so no huge surprise here.

zackary747

Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:40 pm

joeljack wrote:
OMA:
DCA-1x Same
PHX-3x-Same I think
LAX-Gone, it was just announced as daily year-round and had a press release on it, 2 months later it doesn't get extended beyond January 6th. VERY unusual for Southwest.
DAL-1x (Same)
HOU-1x (Same)

I'm surprised at the reductions from OMA, mainly LAX. I would have thought LAS might have been reduced to 2x daily with the new LAX flight but the LAX flight is gone! STL, some winters WN ran it at 2x daily vs 3x daily so no huge surprise here.

Perhaps there's an error on the LAX flight. To have a press conference on it, and then to cut it out of the blue like that. That doesn't sound normal whatsoever.

EDIT: IND-LAX isn't appearing either. That route is profitable for them. I'd say wait an hour or two and see if it appears.
Last edited by zackary747 on Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

compensateme

Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:41 pm

DTW-PHX is reduced to Saturday-only service, DTW-ATL drops from 3x to 2x and DTW-MDW remains at 4x (been that way for awhile, but was at 5x last year).
We don’t care what your next flight is.

dbo861

Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:43 pm

joeljack wrote:
OMA:

Maybe the competition against AA's daily OMA-LAX flight was too much and WN was the first to blink. I remember they both started daily, year round service around the same time.

Also, when AA started this it was daily A319, now it's been reduced to E175. This is a big reduction to the OMA-LAX market with WN's exit.

WNflyer1523
Topic Author

Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:45 pm

ISP:
BWI - 4x (same as last winter)
FLL - 2x (same as last winter)
MCO - 2x (down from 3x last winter)
PBI - 2x (same as last winter)
TPA - 1x (same as last winter)

SteveXC500

Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:52 pm

joeljack wrote:
OMA:
DCA-1x Same
PHX-3x-Same I think
DAL-1x (Same)
HOU-1x (Same)

Quick question on your analysis. WN has a Jan/Feb extension and then, in August, a March/April spring break schedule. Do you think TPA will be in the Spring Break schedule? For us at MSP, that is usually the case.

STT757

Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:52 pm

[quote="tphuang"]Looks like EWR-MCO is dropped completely quote]

Took this flight to take the family to see the Mouse last year, I loved the option.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

zackary747

Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:00 pm

Ok, IND-LAX, PIT-LAX, and OMA-LAX is not appearing. I find that odd.....

Jshank83

Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:00 pm

joeljack wrote:
OMA:
DCA-1x Same
PHX-3x-Same I think
DAL-1x (Same)
HOU-1x (Same)

OMA-STL was 2x on this extension last year. So that's unchanged also.

WaywardMemphian

Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:03 pm

I see MEM/DAL is going to 3x daily. That's all about better west coast connecting. Would have preferred a new destination like PHX or LAS to help with that.

jetmatt777

Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:10 pm

OKC-BNA remains Sunday only.
OKC-MCO (sun) dropped
OKC-MDW dropped
OKC-DCA changed to a midday flight (was perfect for OKC O&D with a morning departure and evening return)

axiom

Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:11 pm

TPA-GRR is back seasonally.

TPA-DTW/MSP/BOS weekend service does not resume next spring.

717atOGG

Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:12 pm

Did SEA, GEG, or PDX get or lose anything?
A320/321, A332, 712, 73G/8/9ER, 744, 752/3, E145, E175, CR9

compensateme

Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:17 pm

zackary747 wrote:
Ok, IND-LAX, PIT-LAX, and OMA-LAX is not appearing. I find that odd.....

PIT is loaded Sunday-only.

Capacity increases are placing heavy downward pressure on fares and it looks like WN is finally reacting with some aggressive cuts...
We don’t care what your next flight is.

RL757PVD

Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:20 pm

WN gutted New England pretty well and surprisingly (or maybe not so much), pretty heavily at BOS.

PVD/BDL/MHT all have record low BWI at 4-5x for Jan/Feb (PVD has 4x but keeps 2x DCA)
BDL-LAS still not shown as resuming
BDL-STL dropped (perhaps seasonal?)
BOS-MDW and ATL down to a mere 2x
BOS-CMH/IND/MCI/MKE all down to 1x weekdays only
BOS-DEN down to 1x
BOS-BWI down to 7x, one of which is a 9pm departure, so really 6x.
Experience is what you get when what you thought would work out didn't!