Why no JFK/LGA-BDL service?

Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:14 am

United it fully cutting the route.
Will AA, JetBlue, of Delta do it?
Cíao

GalaxyFlyer

Re: Why no JFK/LGA-BDL service?

Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:24 am

Because there’s no money in flying it, better to limo to JFK.

Every question on A.net beginning with, “why isn’t there service” is easily answered by, “Marketing looked at it and saw that revenue would NOT exceed cost”. Pretty simple, airlines aren’t charities.

GF

washingtonflyer

Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:35 am

Its a pretty long limo ride - a good 110 miles. You could take Amtrak to Stamford or New Rochelle I guess...

AA737-823

Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:29 am

Because by the time you've gotten through the TSA at LaGarbagia, you could have walked to BDL.

millionsofmiles

Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:03 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Because there’s no money in flying it, better to limo to JFK.

Every question on A.net beginning with, “why isn’t there service” is easily answered by, “Marketing looked at it and saw that revenue would NOT exceed cost”. Pretty simple, airlines aren’t charities.

GF

Except for Norwegian, for whom revenue potential doesn't seem to be an issue. LOL

CairnterriAIR

Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:58 am

No local traffic, waste of slots, flights never operated on time due to having to get clearance and fly through probably the most crowded airspace in the country. BDL has enough service to other hubs as well as solid point to point routes making NYC service unnecessary. Though I agree, at least one JFK flight would be handy for connections to the entire JetBlue map.

AVLAirlineFreq

Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:39 pm

Was it ever flown, even as a way of providing international connections via JFK?

jfklganyc

Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:40 pm

When there were props, it worked.

When flying a widebody on a 15 min flight between intl flights because fuel was cheap, it worked.

When JFK was a ghost town most of the day, it worked.

TWA had props on it. Delta threw a 767 on it.

Today, there are no props, fuel is cheaper but not cheap, and all 3 airports are congested messes. LGA and JFK have scarce slots (for now)

cloudboy

Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:40 pm

Once you figure on that half of BDL's market lives south of the airport, I thin it is just a little too short a hop for any large airline to do. There is a market for a small operator, like Cape Air.

Personally, I would love to see them build a rail line that leads to LGA and JFK. I know that might be difficult, but I think would make a lot more sense.
"Six becoming three doesn't create more Americans that want to fly." -Adam Pilarski

evank516

Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:04 pm

DL flew it maybe 10 years ago on RJs. Obviously didn't last.

tphuang

Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:15 pm

Maybe B6 will add it if JFK slot system goes away. I would imagine there is enough demand from Long island/brooklyn/queens for a flight there. Traffic out of New York is often quite terrible.

stlgph

Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:19 pm

The flight is pretty much 145's filled with 50 connectors chasing the lowest fares matching Southwest to Florida.

US Airways once offered BDL-LGA.. You're on the ground for about 20-25 minutes, in the air for about 10, maybe 15. I'm sure it's the same at Newark. It's a fun little ride.

Plus with the new Hartford Line in service offering hourly rail connections from central/northern central Connecticut to the Northeast Corridor...depending on where you are, you could end up just railing it to Newark Airport easier than the hassle of trying to get to/from an airport.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

maximairways

Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:17 pm

The problem with rail is it requires 2 transfers generally. Driving from the Hartford area to the NYC airports is generally awful too with traffic, making it a 3+ hour drive.

Not to mention parking around the NYC airports being exorbitantly expensive. I've taken BDL-EWR several times on an A320 and B737, always full and nicely timed to hit the very early connections out of EWR.

maximairways

Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:22 pm

The problem with rail is it requires 2 transfers generally. Driving from the Hartford area to the NYC airports is generally awful too with traffic, making it a 3+ hour drive.

Not to mention parking around the NYC airports being exorbitantly expensive. I've taken BDL-EWR several times on an A320 and B737, always full and nicely timed to hit the very early connections out of EWR.

GalaxyFlyer

Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:38 pm

I’ve done the limo from BDL itself probably 60 times, It’s longish 2:30-3:00 depending, of course, on traffic. Making evening airline international flights, it’s opposite the peak traffic and not bad. Arriving JFK to g9 north is also opposite peak traffic. Overall, better go limo. I’ve nearly EWR connections by late BDL-EWR Dash 8 flights.

Best of all, a Frank Pepe’s pizza in the limo northbound after a long international flight.

GF

VTKillarney1

Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:39 pm

Is there decent long-term parking at any of the rail stations? That has always been a barrier to my taking rail. I hate to draw attention to this, but BDL's parking rates are extremely reasonable. The parking rates alone have led me to choosing BDL over other airports on occasion.

jmscsc

Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:50 pm

I flew BDL-JFK a number of times when DL was operating an RJ on the route. We spent more time on the ground at JFK waiting to take off than we did in the air. I have no doubt DL didn't make much money, if any, on the route.

phluser

Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:57 pm

maximairways wrote:

UA is ending the BDL-EWR service. Probable best bet now, if flying to a unique exclusive out of EWR not served by ORD/IAD market, is reaching EWR very early or the night before and stay at an EWR airport hotel. It's typical for people at least south in the Philly side to use a whole work day dropping someone off at JFK or EWR, and returning back home.

stlgph

Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:58 pm

maximairways wrote:

Well. Yes. and No.

If you take Amtrak then you just fly on through Penn Station and if you're coming down on the new Hartford Line or the Amtrak Shuttle into New Haven, it's just an easy cross-platform transfer. Generally train tickets aren't too expensive, roughly about the same, sometimes even less, than buying regional rail. There's no need to buy separate tickets on Amtrak and switching over to NJT.

The problem with Amtrak is you sit in Penn Station for about a half hour, sometimes 45 minutes, before moving on. However, by the time you add up getting off the train, heading over to NJT and fighting for space, it's not worth the effort, at least in my book, to try to make up that time.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

catiii

Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:04 pm

jfklganyc wrote:

When flying a widebody on a 15 min flight between intl flights because fuel was cheap, it worked.

Today, there are no props, fuel is cheaper but not cheap, and all 3 airports are congested messes. LGA and JFK have scarce slots (for now)

Exactly. When JFK wasn't a 24 hour airport,and DL had a bunch of ERs sitting around inbetween TATL flights, they used to send them to BDL, PHL, and a few other oddball cities in the northeast. Had to be what, 1996 when that was going on?

VTKillarney1

Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:05 pm

Interestingly enough, there are plenty of flights between Ottawa and Montreal even though the drive from Ottawa to YUL is only two hours and the train connects both cities. The passengers on these flights are almost all connecting passengers. The Montreal drive and parking rates are much more attractive than New York City. So why does this work for Ottawa but not for BDL? Is congestion the problem?

GalaxyFlyer

Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:10 pm

Because neither Ottawa or YUL are slot restricted.

GF

ScottB

Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:36 pm

maximairways wrote:
Driving from the Hartford area to the NYC airports is generally awful too with traffic, making it a 3+ hour drive.

The problem with flying, though, is that as you go later through the day, the chances of a lengthy delay in or out of any of the NYC airports increase. If you book a tight connection, it's uncomfortably likely that you'll miss your connection and end up sitting at EWR/JFK/LGA for hours or overnight. If you choose a more lengthy layover, then the time savings from using BDL evaporate, even with typically bad traffic to/from NYC.

And the costs of parking at the NYC airports are irrelevant to the airline (actually, they work in the airline's favor since they defray airport operating costs which would otherwise be paid by the airline). Offering a connection from BDL to JFK/EWR/LGA which doesn't produce higher connecting fares than the non-stop segment from NYC is a money-loser.

cloudboy wrote:
Once you figure on that half of BDL's market lives south of the airport, I thin it is just a little too short a hop for any large airline to do.

That's a big part of the problem, too. By the time you get to New Haven or Waterbury, the drive to BDL is 45 minutes to an hour. You might as well bite the bullet and drive to one of the NYC airports.

spinkid

Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:14 pm

ScottB wrote:
maximairways wrote:
Driving from the Hartford area to the NYC airports is generally awful too with traffic, making it a 3+ hour drive.

cloudboy wrote:
Once you figure on that half of BDL's market lives south of the airport, I thin it is just a little too short a hop for any large airline to do.

That's a big part of the problem, too. By the time you get to New Haven or Waterbury, the drive to BDL is 45 minutes to an hour. You might as well bite the bullet and drive to one of the NYC airports.

Yup. I'm one of those people who lives in this area. I'm in Danbury. In addition to BDL, JFK and LGA. I also have the options of SWF and HPN. I can usually get a ride to one of these airports or use the long term parking, which is insanely cheap at SWF. Its still less than $10 a day and I can walk to the terminal.

If you're going to NYC, you wouldn't want to fly into JFK from BDL, just drive or take the train. Connections to International flights would be the only real option, but typically you can connect via BDL, SWF, or HPN to PHL, IAD, DTW, ATL to catch an international connection.

I flew BDL-EWR-FLL because I got a cheap fare and parking is cheaper at BDL. The return was cancelled because my EWR-BDL leg was cancelled. It was annoying because I could have flown into EWR and gotten myself home, but my car was still at BDL.

flymco753

Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:23 pm

What kind of flying market is there between BDL and NYC?
...the carriage of liquids, gels, and aerosols are prohibited through the screening checkpoint except for travel size toiletries of 3 ounces or less...

jmdc861

Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:46 pm

Used to fly the route (JFK-BDL) regularly in TWA 707s during the academic year of 1968-1969 when I was a freshman at the University of Hartford. "Student -Standby" fare then ? $5.80!

airbazar

Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:55 pm

VTKillarney1 wrote:
Interestingly enough, there are plenty of flights between Ottawa and Montreal even though the drive from Ottawa to YUL is only two hours and the train connects both cities. The passengers on these flights are almost all connecting passengers. The Montreal drive and parking rates are much more attractive than New York City. So why does this work for Ottawa but not for BDL? Is congestion the problem?

Cost. How much do you pay in gas to drive the route?

jayspilot

Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:07 pm

I think the future service to LGA/JFK can be answered indirectly with the with the pending UA reduction of EWR-BDL assuming they actually looked at the route yields before cutting the service and didn't just make the call on the bigger concept of changing the hub to more O+D. United operates a substantial hub in NYC and if they were only snagging fare match with LLC passengers it makes sense to see the routes go but I am surprised they did not generate enough yields to feed the AM Caribbean bank ( 5:30 or 6am bdl-ewr) or PM international bank 2pm BDL-ewr). They had huge network reach with those flight banks.

I also realize that the NYC market is unique as it has the highest O+D ratio of any hub so unless they are generating a premium yield to justify the gates/airplane/crew more money can be made on more profitable flying.

slcdeltarumd11

Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:16 pm

I thought that Amtrak is doing quite extensive track investments on New Haven-Springfield. That will probably improve reliability and maybe time on the route. Amtrak is pretty easy to EWR station and can leave closer to most peoples homes then driving to BDL.

TWFlyGuy

Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:17 pm

Maybe someone could run a ferry from Stamford to the Marine Air Terminal...probably more cost effective than an airplane. ;)

flflyer

Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:25 pm

Back in 1965, I flew a EA DC-8 from BDL to JFK in about 15 minutes, as a kid I was excited to say the least.

MR27122

Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:35 pm

It's difficult to justify the expense, in either direction. Hartford is---or was---known as "The Insurance Capital".

The cost to fly from NYC is simply too prohibitive...remember, BDL isn't a 5 min ride from downtown Hartford, it's 17 miles north & a cab ride on 91S (traffic). Cut n' pasted from the BDL website:

Taxi Fares to the most frequently traveled towns around Bradley are
Hartford: $45.00
East Hartford: $42.00
West Hartford: $42.00

So a day-trip NYC-BDL = Cost (time) getting to/from LGA/JFK/EWR, cost of airfare, & around $100 w/ tip for taxi to/from downtown.
Give each of the above 1 hour----that's 3hrs up & 3hrs back = 6hrs TRAVELING.

Booking from Hertz for same day p/u & ret @ 323 West 34th
Luxury (Group I) LCAR Street
170.00 USD Per Day
(203.79 Approx. Tot.)

VTKillarney1

Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:51 pm

airbazar wrote:
VTKillarney1 wrote:

Cost. How much do you pay in gas to drive the route?

Gas in Canada isn't THAT much more expensive. It is roughly $1.35 CAD per liter, which works out to about $3.85 USD per gallon. The tolls to travel to/from a New York City airport most likely make the New York trip more expensive than the Canadian trip. Parking is also much more expensive in New York compared to BDL. I am sure that driving to NYC to catch a flight is a much more expensive proposition than driving to Montreal.

F27500

Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:59 pm

Many carriers have done variations on the NYC-BDL route in the past mostly for connections via JFK/LGA/EWR; not as an O & D market. Its been everything from Twin Otters up to L-1011s over the years!

Nowadays (with the exception of anything overseas to speak of), you can fly nonstop outta BDL to so many destinations, so there's just no need for NYC service. Besides with the atrocious ATC delays (and conditions) at all 3 NYC airports, who would wanna risk a connection at any of these messes anyway?!
Last edited by F27500 on Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.

sspontak

Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:09 pm

jmdc861 wrote:
Used to fly the route (JFK-BDL) regularly in TWA 707s during the academic year of 1968-1969 when I was a freshman at the University of Hartford. "Student -Standby" fare then ? $5.80!

Back in the mid 1970's DL flew this route as a thru flight to ATL on a DC-8-61 BDL-JFK-ATL.

AVLAirlineFreq

Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:26 pm

So what do most people do if they live in the Hartford area and want to fly to Europe without significant backtracking? Drive to JFK, EWR, or BOS? Or fly through DUB, YYZ, or a relatively close hub like PHL?

F27500

Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:30 pm

AVLAirlineFreq wrote:
So what do most people do if they live in the Hartford area and want to fly to Europe without significant backtracking? Drive to JFK, EWR, or BOS? Or fly through DUB, YYZ, or a relatively close hub like PHL?

I live about 30 mins south of Hartford and most people I know do Boston if going overseas. Tons of nonstops outta there now. Some old diehards still insist on doing the repulsive drive to JFK or EWR for Europe ... but its a miserable, miserable trip to make ... especially AFTER a 9 hour flight coming home!

BOS can be a bit aggravating too, but its still better than the NYC/JFK/EWR mess!

VTKillarney1

Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:41 pm

AVLAirlineFreq wrote:

Agreed. Unless you are New Haven, Waterbury and west most people I know prefer Boston.

cheapgreek

Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:04 pm

cloudboy wrote:
Once you figure on that half of BDL's market lives south of the airport, I thin it is just a little too short a hop for any large airline to do. There is a market for a small operator, like Cape Air.

Personally, I would love to see them build a rail line that leads to LGA and JFK. I know that might be difficult, but I think would make a lot more sense.

That's been talked about for many year, will never happen.

FA9295

Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:30 pm

AA737-823 wrote:
LaGarbagia

I've heard this one quite a bit over the years.... :rotfl: :lol:

Super80Fan

Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:02 pm

jfklganyc wrote:

For once we agree.

I also think UA is getting rid of EWR service because the flight was delayed/cancelled most of the time, couldn't have made that much money for UA.

AA also has up-gauged flights to PHL too now, so that takes most of the connecting traffic to that area.
RIP McDonnell Douglas
RIP US Airways

CairnterriAIR

Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:28 pm

F27500 wrote:
Many carriers have done variations on the NYC-BDL route in the past mostly for connections via JFK/LGA/EWR; not as an O & D market. Its been everything from Twin Otters up to L-1011s over the years!

Nowadays (with the exception of anything overseas to speak of), you can fly nonstop outta BDL to so many destinations, so there's just no need for NYC service. Besides with the atrocious ATC delays (and conditions) at all 3 NYC airports, who would wanna risk a connection at any of these messes anyway?!

There is regularly scheduled service to Dublin out of BDL.

uconn99

Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:31 pm

B6 at BDL for the most part is all O&D except for S.A. and Caribean connections through FLL and some connections via DCA/MCO. I would think 2x daily BDL-JFK on the E190 would help expand B6's market share out of BDL with more connections throughout the rest of the system but that may be tough with slot restrictions out of JFK. B6 is now BDL's 4th largest carrier after AA, WN, and DL.

B6 BDL schedule:

2x SJU A320
2x MCO A320
2x FLL A320
2x DCA E190
1x TPA A320
1x PBI A320
1x RSW A320 (Seasonal)

F27500

Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:09 pm

CairnterriAIR wrote:
F27500 wrote:

Yep .. that was what my "to speak of" was referring to. A ratty, small old 757 to DUB isn't really anything to get too excited over. . And they're getting a subsidy or some sort of of revenue guarantee from the airport for it too, aren't they? Once that runs out, EI is gone. Just like NW was when they had that short lived AMS service when the money ran out.

Now, a BA 787 to LHR … THAT would be a serious route/service to be proud of.

cheapgreek

Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:29 pm

F27500 wrote:
CairnterriAIR wrote:
F27500 wrote:

Yep .. that was what my "to speak of" was referring to. A ratty, small old 757 to DUB isn't really anything to get too excited over. . And they're getting a subsidy or some sort of of revenue guarantee from the airport for it too, aren't they? Once that runs out, EI is gone. Just like NW was when they had that short lived AMS service when the money ran out.

Don't think you will ever see that. JFK and BOS have both ends of the state covered and their selection on non-stop cities to Europe is far superior to the BDL service. Both New York and Boston are major east coast cities and have a large population base to draw from. Draw a circle around BDL and there is no comparison, while BDL is a good domestic airport, its international in name only.

uconn99

Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:31 pm

F27500 wrote:
CairnterriAIR wrote:
F27500 wrote:

I flew the route in business class this past July and the flight was great with a modern interior and great product/service. The business class product on Aer Lingus is better across the pond over BA IMO. Dublin offers plenty of connection possibilities to the rest of Europe and there should be an increase in the local Hartford to Dublin market with this flight.

There is a revenue guarantee in place for 2 years and I believe Aer Lingus will stick around after the subsidy as this flight has performed much better than the NW AMS flight and today there isn't a recession and high oil prices to deal with. I do agree BA into London would be the best international route out of BDL however for a metro area the size of Hartford/Springfield/New Haven and BOS and NYC not far away, people in the area should support this flight and be thankful there is a connection to Europe once again. Markets similar in size would only hope to have such a flight in many cases.

uconn99

Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:38 pm

cheapgreek wrote:
F27500 wrote:
CairnterriAIR wrote:

Don't think you will ever see that. JFK and BOS have both ends of the state covered and their selection on non-stop cities to Europe is far superior to the BDL service. Both New York and Boston are major east coast cities and have a large population base to draw from. Draw a circle around BDL and there is no comparison, while BDL is a good domestic airport, its international in name only.

There are flights to DUB, CUN, YYZ, and YUL so the name indeed stands for International. But lets stay on topic.

F27500

Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:53 pm

uconn99 wrote:
F27500 wrote:
CairnterriAIR wrote:

I flew the route in business class this past July and the flight was great with a modern interior and great product/service. The business class product on Aer Lingus is better across the pond over BA IMO. Dublin offers plenty of connection possibilities to the rest of Europe and there should be an increase in the local Hartford to Dublin market with this flight.

There is a revenue guarantee in place for 2 years and I believe Aer Lingus will stick around after the subsidy as this flight has performed much better than the NW AMS flight and today there isn't a recession and high oil prices to deal with. I do agree BA into London would be the best international route out of BDL however for a metro area the size of Hartford/Springfield/New Haven and BOS and NYC not far away, people in the area should support this flight and be thankful there is a connection to Europe once again. Markets similar in size would only hope to have such a flight in many cases.

Flying a 757 in Business Class is a WHOLE lot different than sitting back in in that center seat 35E in a cramped narrow body coach cabin tho!

And I bet u a $20 bill they pull our when the money's done. ...Oopsyyyy did I just violate an A.Net forum protocol rule by offering a bet? I can see the warning notice from Moderator man already! ;)

itchief

Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:06 pm

Super80Fan wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:

For once we agree.

I also think UA is getting rid of EWR service because the flight was delayed/cancelled most of the time, couldn't have made that much money for UA.

AA also has up-gauged flights to PHL too now, so that takes most of the connecting traffic to that area.

I was on HVN-PHL last week on an AA RJ. Plenty of flights out of PHL to Europe. HVN was nice, only 2 gates with no crowds although it was on a CR-200 which is the worst.

cheapgreek

Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:50 pm

itchief wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:

For once we agree.

I was on HVN-PHL last week on an AA RJ. Plenty of flights out of PHL to Europe. HVN was nice, only 2 gates with no crowds although it was on a CR-200 which is the worst.

Trust me, the CRJ-200's are much better than the Dash-8's that flew the route last year. As far as PHL, I have taken many flights to Europe via PHL and never had a problem. Non-stops to LHR,CDG,FCO,AMS,BRU,MUC,BCN,LIS,etc.