Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

StTim

Re: Future of Exeter Airport

Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:53 pm

chunhimlai wrote:
PatrickZ80 wrote:
chunhimlai wrote:
But Flybe HQ is in Exeter

Yes, so what? It's only a small airline, even with some predicted growth it's still going to be small. Current fleet counts 78 aircraft. Imagine all of those aircraft are based on Exeter and they do 3 return flights a day, that means 234 starts and 234 landings a day. Let's say the airport is open for 16 hours a day, that means on average every 2 minutes an aircraft lands or takes off. You don't need 6 runways for that, one runway or two at most would be sufficient.

Of course, not all Flybe aircraft are based in Exeter so that lowers the number of movements even more. Flybe may have it's headquarters in Exeter, but they only got a small base there.

If flybe double their fleet and it only score half of the total traffic (like BA in LHR), there would be 120 flight per hour average and at least 4 runways is needed

Please can I have some of what you are drinking. It sure is potent.

directorguy

Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:31 pm

I heard Air China will start daily flights from PEK and PVG and 3x weekly from URC and CAN. Some of these flights will continue to NQY.

FermiParadox

Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:46 pm

It's funny that so many are brushing this off as a troll job.

Fact: London airports are basically completely full an unable to expand.

Fact: There is virtually no domestic UK air service

Fact: What domestic UK service exists is largely operated by FlyBe

Fact: FlyBe is headquartered in Exeter

Fact: The UK offers unique geography to offer connections from the US-Europe

Fact: BA have expressed very little interest in carrying connecting passengers and instead focus their energy on high value customers to London

Fact: The Southwest of England offers some of the most beautiful touristic sites you can see in the world

Fact: Brexit will make English tourism more exotic to mainland Europeans and Americans alike

Fact: With no domestic airline service, customers will be forced to fly into London and rent an expensive car to travel without a major airline serving Exeter nonstop from JFK, CDG, DXB, etc.

I'm with OP. There is enormous growth potential that's just being left on the table and I would be willing to bet anyone here real money that within 20 years, Exeter is a major intercontinental travel hub.

directorguy

Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:48 pm

Being serious:
I'm in Cornwall on holiday as I write this which neighbours Devon where Exeter is.
While planning the trip, I obviously had to land in London (LHR) and make my way into Cornwall by car. To fly to NQY I would have had to spend the night in London and fly from LGW on flybe. There is no seamless way of getting from Cornwall (or most regions in the UK) to LHR without an overnight stop somewhere or a cumbersome transfer road,/rail transfer process. Self connecting has its risks. There are very few ways of ensuring one has a legal air connection as there are few proper feeder services in the UK.
I for one would love to see more air coverage in the UK either by seeing more non-stop flights that bypass LHR or an efficient feeder airline into LHR.

andrej

Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:26 pm

All I can say is that I am happy to see so many people with connection to the Exter or Devon.

Living there myself during my post-grad days, I must say that it would be nice to have 6 rwys at EXT. However as others pointed out this is not feasible or economically justifiable.

Cheers,
Andrej

MalevTU134

Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:53 pm

FermiParadox wrote:

Fact: BA have expressed very little interest in carrying connecting passengers and instead focus their energy on high value customers to London

Fact: The Southwest of England offers some of the most beautiful touristic sites you can see in the world

Fact: Brexit will make English tourism more exotic to mainland Europeans and Americans alike

Fact: With no domestic airline service, customers will be forced to fly into London and rent an expensive car to travel without a major airline serving Exeter nonstop from JFK, CDG, DXB, etc.

I'm with OP. There is enormous growth potential that's just being left on the table and I would be willing to bet anyone here real money that within 20 years, Exeter is a major intercontinental travel hub.

If I start the company, will you and the OP invest 9- or 10-digit amounts (£, € or $, your choice) so that this obviously fail-proof project can get off the ground? If so, just PM me and I will send you my account number.

Cunard

Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:28 am

I notice that all my posts have been deleted on this thread before anyone else came to the conclusion that the OP is obviously a troll or very dissolutionial!
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.

pdp

Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:49 pm

FermiParadox wrote:

You’ve got the old Great Western Railway network for that, it has some very far-reaching routes and is the quickest way from Heathrow to the West Country (via the same station that the Heathrow Express uses). Exeter is not a great draw for those outside of the UK and Europe, most tourists want to go to London or Edinburgh! Fifteen minutes to Paddington from Heathrow then a transfer of some kind to another station that can get you somewhere somewhat quickly (unless you choose Chiltern).

Let’s not forget the West Country is unbelievably expensive in summer, and getting anywhere on the rush days is all kinds of nope with the only real major road being the M5 car park.

PlymSpotter

Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:41 pm

FermiParadox wrote:

Whilst some are approaching capacity (LTN, STN, SEN and LCY are not), they are all able to expand and have plans to increase capacity. It's not like it's been in the news this week...

FermiParadox wrote:

Completly incorrect - there's a large network of UK air services which carried more than 22 million pax in 2015, up almost 5% on 2014. I'm sure someone will have even more recent figures.

FermiParadox wrote:

Again incorrect. For 2015 FlyBe carried 5.23m pax, only just ahead of BA with 5.21m, whilst easyJet carried 6.7m domestic pax.

FermiParadox wrote:

For an airline, as with any other company, the location of your HQ doesn't necessarily have a bearing on where you operate. FlyBe operate only a tiny percentage of their flights from EXT - there are other examples like LH, VS, TUI and even IAG.

FermiParadox wrote:

But it is not unique, Ireland is arguably even better. Furthermore, there are areas of the UK with fare greater O/D potential.

FermiParadox wrote:

When and where have they expressed this? Of course BA would prefer to only service O/D traffic, because of the higher yields. But in reality, they need the connecting traffic to continue offering their route portfolio.

FermiParadox wrote:

Now as a Devonian that I can agree with, however it's still not going to fill many seats.

FermiParadox wrote:

It really won't. It might make it cheaper in the short term due to currency fluctuations, but it's going to have a neutral to negative impact on visitor numbers.

FermiParadox wrote:

Nonsense. There are multiple public and private transport options and connecting Exeter to London. Not that you even have to do that - BRS is on hour up the road and offers access to multiple European hub airports, whist even EXT offers connections via MAN, AMS and CDG. But even looking at the whole of the South West, the O/D market to each destination is tiny - it couldn't even support holiday flights to Canada, and that was with a stop in BHX.

FermiParadox wrote:

In which case, you'd be throwing your money away.
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

EChid

Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:26 pm

PlymSpotter wrote:

Thank you for chasing down each of these points. Very true. And good to see that the whole 'Brexit will make it better' attitude is only alive in some people's heads in the UK.

I can't remember the last time a country was made 'more exotic' to tourists because they decided to overhaul their trade and immigration laws. It just becomes more annoying and then they go to Ireland instead.

FermiParadox

Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:38 pm

PlymSpotter wrote:
FermiParadox wrote:

Whilst some are approaching capacity (LTN, STN, SEN and LCY are not), they are all able to expand and have plans to increase capacity. It's not like it's been in the news this week...

FermiParadox wrote:

Completly incorrect - there's a large network of UK air services which carried more than 22 million pax in 2015, up almost 5% on 2014. I'm sure someone will have even more recent figures.

FermiParadox wrote:

Again incorrect. For 2015 FlyBe carried 5.23m pax, only just ahead of BA with 5.21m, whilst easyJet carried 6.7m domestic pax.

FermiParadox wrote:

For an airline, as with any other company, the location of your HQ doesn't necessarily have a bearing on where you operate. FlyBe operate only a tiny percentage of their flights from EXT - there are other examples like LH, VS, TUI and even IAG.

FermiParadox wrote:

But it is not unique, Ireland is arguably even better. Furthermore, there are areas of the UK with fare greater O/D potential.

FermiParadox wrote:

When and where have they expressed this? Of course BA would prefer to only service O/D traffic, because of the higher yields. But in reality, they need the connecting traffic to continue offering their route portfolio.

FermiParadox wrote:

Now as a Devonian that I can agree with, however it's still not going to fill many seats.

FermiParadox wrote:

It really won't. It might make it cheaper in the short term due to currency fluctuations, but it's going to have a neutral to negative impact on visitor numbers.

FermiParadox wrote:

Nonsense. There are multiple public and private transport options and connecting Exeter to London. Not that you even have to do that - BRS is on hour up the road and offers access to multiple European hub airports, whist even EXT offers connections via MAN, AMS and CDG. But even looking at the whole of the South West, the O/D market to each destination is tiny - it couldn't even support holiday flights to Canada, and that was with a stop in BHX.

FermiParadox wrote:

No surprise that someone from Plymouth would be jealous of Exeter's success. Must be tough being from a town that's most famous for people emigrating away from it.

PlymSpotter

Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:54 pm

EChid wrote:
PlymSpotter wrote:

Thank you for chasing down each of these points. Very true. And good to see that the whole 'Brexit will make it better' attitude is only alive in some people's heads in the UK..

Thanks - I figured this thread needed a dose of rational, substantiated thought!

FermiParadox wrote:
No surprise that someone from Plymouth would be jealous of Exeter's success. Must be tough being from a town that's most famous for people emigrating away from it.

How old are you? :rotfl:

Samrnpage

Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:12 pm

Can we shut this thread down? Its embarrassing.

WPvsMW

Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:16 pm

But very entertaining.

ben175

Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:21 pm

This is a hot mess... but I honestly can't stop pressing the refresh button.

AAMDanny

Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:48 pm

Accidental post.

AndrewJM70

Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:54 pm

I think you need to be a little more ambitious. Why stop at 6 runways? Why not 10?

AAMDanny

Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:57 pm

chunhimlai wrote:

Yes but that does not mean that they have to have a 'super fortress hub' that you envision.

BHX and to a lessor extent, MAN is their main hub.

They have done their research and positioned themselves where they think they will make their money.

BHX and MAN offers more connectivity and more O&D traffic.

Make no mistake, many airlines have their HQ and main hangars in locations that is not their main base.

However I do love your creative streak for such an imaginative vision of a future for Exeter Airport! (And your use of Microsoft Paint!!)

MalevTU134

Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:02 pm

AAMDanny wrote:
Accidental post.

Aren't they all, in this thread?

EChid

Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:09 pm

Do we have 'Thread of the Year' Awards?

Cunard

Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:08 am

FermiParadox wrote:
PlymSpotter wrote:
FermiParadox wrote:

FermiParadox wrote:

FermiParadox wrote:

FermiParadox wrote:

FermiParadox wrote:

FermiParadox wrote:

FermiParadox wrote:

FermiParadox wrote:

FermiParadox wrote:

FermiParadox wrote:

What an absolutely childish and totally immature reply coming from someone who equally writes absolutely childish and totally immature comments regarding the future of Exeter Airport.

As much as I find it entertaining to read I think it's time that this ridiculous thread needs closing down ASAP!
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.

chunhimlai
Topic Author

Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:09 am

AAMDanny wrote:
chunhimlai wrote:

Yes but that does not mean that they have to have a 'super fortress hub' that you envision.

They have done their research and positioned themselves where they think they will make their money.

Make no mistake, many airlines have their HQ and main hangars in locations that is not their main base.

However I do love your creative streak for such an imaginative vision of a future for Exeter Airport! (And your use of Microsoft Paint!!)

It is created by PS CS6

I dont wanna repeat again

PlymSpotter

Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:49 am

chunhimlai wrote:
AAMDanny wrote:
chunhimlai wrote:

It is created by PS CS6

Relax - the problem you have that it looks like something created in Paint. If it looks like a spade, it'll be called a spade.

Yes this thread has turned int a bit of a joke but, being serious for a moment, if aerodrome design is something which appeals to you as a future career, there are ways to channel your enthusiasm into something more impressive and potentially portfolio worthy. Start off by downloading free scaled OS Data from their website, then import it to a free design program like Sketchup to create your design, and then export it into CS6 to render and annotate. You'll be amazed at how 'professional' it will look.

chunhimlai
Topic Author

Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:54 am

PlymSpotter wrote:
chunhimlai wrote:
AAMDanny wrote:

It is created by PS CS6

Relax - the problem you have that it looks like something created in Paint. If it looks like a spade, it'll be called a spade.

Yes this thread has turned int a bit of a joke but, being serious for a moment, if aerodrome design is something which appeals to you as a future career, there are ways to channel your enthusiasm into something more impressive and potentially portfolio worthy. Start off by downloading free scaled OS Data from their website, then import it to a free design program like Sketchup to create your design, and then export it into CS6 to render and annotate. You'll be amazed at how 'professional' it will look.

It is not hard to make more lovely but it is difficult to show to idea clearly

And my major is neither artitecture or logistic

And the picture is just for fun and why take so serious

PlymSpotter

Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:06 pm

You're right, I should have just taken the piss instead of trying to offer advice :banghead:

Cunard

Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:13 pm

PlymSpotter wrote:
You're right, I should have just taken the piss instead of trying to offer advice :banghead:

:-) :-) :-)

NYPECO

Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:18 pm

chunhimlai wrote:
The southwest England is the region which has the least intercontinental service in UK.

When Southwest UK keep growing and become one the most favorable cities in Europe,

Will we see massive growth of Flybe and its hub EXT and become one the airport which serve 6 Continents, as well as BA build 3rd hub in Exeter?

6 runways with 4 concourse which can serve 240m APAX
each concourse consist 3 identical module which length 750m

Two Concourse used for Flybe and Loganair

One for airline within IAG (BA/IB/VY/Level) and OW

One for other airline

It would be better to start with just a new, larger terminal with more gates, leaving room for expansion and more runways if necessary.

chunhimlai
Topic Author

Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:06 pm

NYPECO wrote:
chunhimlai wrote:
The southwest England is the region which has the least intercontinental service in UK.

When Southwest UK keep growing and become one the most favorable cities in Europe,

Will we see massive growth of Flybe and its hub EXT and become one the airport which serve 6 Continents, as well as BA build 3rd hub in Exeter?

6 runways with 4 concourse which can serve 240m APAX
each concourse consist 3 identical module which length 750m

Two Concourse used for Flybe and Loganair

One for airline within IAG (BA/IB/VY/Level) and OW

One for other airline

It would be better to start with just a new, larger terminal with more gates, leaving room for expansion and more runways if necessary.

i agree but actually the picture shown is the ultimate stage of EXT and for further grown another airport(s) should be considered

WPvsMW

Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:37 pm

Most aerotropolis designs encircle the runways with assembly and manufacturing. High speed rail is a plus. Seaport is also welcome. Exeter doesn't have the pax O&D, so growth would turn on ... connections and/or cargo. Observations upthread address connections and cargo. By induction, I think the premise is... where is the UK should a new aerotropolis be located?

SCQ83

Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:49 pm

chunhimlai wrote:
i agree but actually the picture shown is the ultimate stage of EXT and for further grown another airport(s) should be considered

You should draw the expansion plans for NQY, CWL, BRS and Isle of Wight Airport.

I reckon EGHN could manage with 3 runways.

Cunard

Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:58 pm

I can't believe that this thread has not been locked by now, after all the OP has rightly deserved his ''Most Ridiculous Thread Of The Year Award'' :-)

WPvsMW

Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:28 pm

That would demote the circular runway threads to #2.

chunhimlai
Topic Author

Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:41 am

SCQ83 wrote:
chunhimlai wrote:

You should draw the expansion plans for NQY, CWL, BRS and Isle of Wight Airport.

I reckon EGHN could manage with 3 runways.

I have No interested

Alphazone

Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:41 am

chunhimlai wrote:
NYPECO wrote:
chunhimlai wrote:

I think this is a good idea.
N664US The Spirit of Beijing
N670US World Plane - 50 Years Bridging the Pacific / The Alliance Spirit
N671US City of Detroit
N673US City of Tokyo
N674US City of Shanghai
N675NW Spirit of the Northwest People

chunhimlai
Topic Author

Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:22 am

Alphazone wrote:
chunhimlai wrote:
NYPECO wrote:

I think this is a good idea.

Someone did it before
Key word:Severnside Airport

bhxdtw

Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:45 am

agree but actually the picture shown is the ultimate stage of EXT and for further grown another airport(s) should be considered

... Did you just say Exeter would need ANOTHER airport?? On top of the 6 runways?? Bloody hell... I stayed out of this, quietly laughing reading the comments...but this one takes the biscuit. A 6 runway Exeter and then ANOTHER airport?? Will you not be happy until the entire west country is taxi and run way ??

chunhimlai
Topic Author

Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:51 am

bhxdtw wrote:
agree but actually the picture shown is the ultimate stage of EXT and for further grown another airport(s) should be considered

... Did you just say Exeter would need ANOTHER airport?? On top of the 6 runways?? Bloody hell... I stayed out of this, quietly laughing reading the comments...but this one takes the biscuit. A 6 runway Exeter and then ANOTHER airport?? Will you not be happy until the entire west country is taxi and run way ??

NQY, CWL, BRS And others

pdp

Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:09 am

chunhimlai wrote:
bhxdtw wrote:

NQY, CWL, BRS And others

London has population of just south of nine million, hence why it has so many large airports. Exeter has a population of about nine in comparison.

East Midlands serves Derby, Nottingham and Leicester. All three of them are larger than Exeter in their own right and yet EGNX is a simple one runway job with Manchester and Birmingham on the periphery for the bigger stuff. The U.K. is not a big country, we don’t need a massive super airport in the worst possible location in England which would be unbelievably expensive. If you *really* want a new hub airport, flatten half of south Leicestershire (which would cause millions of pounds of improvements) and build one where the M6, M1 and A14 meet at Catthorpe.

Look at Al Maktoum (the inspiration I imagine), it’s got about half a dozen passenger flights today and I doubt it will get much better any time soon, if it all. A folly if there ever was one.

andymartin

Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:07 am

Dont tell anyone, but Richard Branson has just bought Exeter and plans to turn it into a space port. It should be operational just after the new Berlin airport and the Heathrow 3rd runway.

Cunard

Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:51 pm

chunhimlai wrote:
bhxdtw wrote:

NQY, CWL, BRS And others

Can you just give it up with all this childish nonsense as it's pathetic, not sure how old you are but you must realise by now that everything you have posted is immature and beyond reality!

Anyway it's Monday tomorrow so another school week for you :-)

Skyblue39

Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:24 pm

Why is this thread not locked? It’s BS....

FlyCaledonian

Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:24 pm

pdp wrote:
The west country has pretty awful transport links, no way it would ever be useful as a major hub location. Plus the undulations in the land would make it prohibitively expensive given the size of the site.

Easily sorted.

The A303 is to be upgraded to Motorway as the M30 from the M3 at Basingtsoke to join the M5 at Exeter - six lanes throughout with a dual tunnel under Stonehenge and Silsbury Hill.

The West of England Line from Basingstoke to Exeter is to be doubled throughout between Salisbury and Exeter, electrified with infrastructure improvements to allow 125 mph tilting trains between Waterloo and Exeter Airport.

Actually, I think Exeter Airport as a name doesn't do this project justice. To reflect that this is to showcase global Britain I think the airport should be renamed Exeter Nigel Farage International Airport.
Let's Go British Caledonian!

PlymSpotter

Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:25 pm

FlyCaledonian wrote:
Actually, I think Exeter Airport as a name doesn't do this project justice. To reflect that this is to showcase global Britain I think the airport should be renamed Exeter Nigel Farage International Airport.

Also, being in the Westcountry, it should only be used during long weekends and summer holidays.

EGTESkyGod

Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:43 pm

OK, well this is a thread that I would have thought about posting about 20 years ago but then again... even I would have understood at age 12 that it was extremely unlikely, to be polite.

Firstly, I'll address the runways. I worked at Exeter Airport between 2004 and 2011, and whenever expansion came up it was usually changed a thousand times before anything happened. However with regards to Rwy 08/26, it cannot be extended too far in either direction. It cannot be extended to the East unless you did a displaced threshold because the Blackdown Hills would interfere with the ILS, and you cannot extend to the West without wiping out Clyst Honiton. The disused Rwy 31/13 could not be extended to the south because Flybe have a couple of hangars there and a car park (ironically this car park was built where they planned to put two more hangars, but that never materialised!). Now it can't be extended to the North because of the expansion of Cranbrook and the business park.

As for demand, that has been covered. But given there is no room for extending the current runway, and no viable option to build a new one I am not sure how you come up with any scenario that means the Westcountry will face several hundreds % increase in the number of passengers, tourists and visitors to suggest accommodating a second runway let alone six of the things. NIMBY's are still prevalent in the Westcountry! We were hounded by them at Plymouth Airport, which was nowhere near as big, noisy or busy as Exeter and has since closed down.

That's probably as polite as I can be. Cheers.
I came, I saw, I Concorde! www.gofundme.com/lineupandwait

WPvsMW

Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:19 pm

Skyblue39 wrote:

Because it is ne plus ultra in morphing from a silly thread into a parody of a silly thread. I nominate it to be the first thread in a new sub-forum of historically silly threads that combine MS Paint (sorry, Adobe CS6) with my-airport jingoism, lampooned by the offended in nearby catchments, and loaded with bait for the credulous. (Pseudo-vitriol to invite a thread-lock... unless this becomes an a.nut chestnut to be revived every 5 years.)

PlymSpotter

Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:11 am

WPvsMW wrote:
Skyblue39 wrote:

Because it is ne plus ultra in morphing from a silly thread into a parody of a silly thread. I nominate it to be the first thread in a new sub-forum of historically silly threads that combine MS Paint (sorry, Adobe CS6) with my-airport jingoism, lampooned by the offended in nearby catchments, and loaded with bait for the credulous. (Pseudo-vitriol to invite a thread-lock... unless this becomes an a.nut chestnut to be revived every 5 years.)

Actually, combine this with the 'could a plane take off on a conveyor belt' thread, and we'd hit the jackpot

WPvsMW

Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:42 am

or circular conveyor belt.

Fitlikemin

Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:36 am

C'mon, let's get this thread to 1000 posts. :)

Then again.... let's not! :D

FermiParadox

Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:13 pm

It's truly a shame that so many of the haters have turned what should've been a reasonable, well thought out initial post into this circus. OP is 100% correct in his diagram that EXT will soon expand to such a large size. It's a shame that so little on this website have foresight and can comprehend the bigger picture.

PlymSpotter

Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:42 pm

FermiParadox wrote:
It's truly a shame that so many of the haters have turned what should've been a reasonable, well thought out initial post into this circus. OP is 100% correct in his diagram that EXT will soon expand to such a large size. It's a shame that so little on this website have foresight and can comprehend the bigger picture.

:rotfl:

Oh come on, you and the other usernames are kidding nobody here.

Trying to claim that Exeter will 100% soon expand into a six runway mega-hub is literally the most ridiculous thing I've ever read on this forum... and I've read some real away with the faeries ideas over the years. Instead of insults, I suggest you re-read this thread and learn from the posters who have substantiated their critiques and evidenced why this fantasy is geographically, politically and economically impossible.