BritishB747
Posts: 240
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:14 pm

Re: Future of Exeter Airport

Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:55 pm

Never mind EXT! DND is the airport that is badly in need of expansion in this country. With all the golf tourism to that part of the country it is essential that an additional two or three runways are built into the River Tay. Expansion at the airport has been unstoppable in recent years. The two daily flights to STN really push facilities to the limit!
AT5 AT7 AB6 319 320 321 333 33V 343 346 AR8 733 734 736 73G 738 744 752 753 763 77E 77W 788 BET CR7 D10 D38 DHT DH4 E70 E75 E90 F70 J41 M83 S20 SF3
 
FermiParadox
Posts: 83
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:05 pm

Re: Future of Exeter Airport

Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:53 pm

PlymSpotter wrote:
FermiParadox wrote:
It's truly a shame that so many of the haters have turned what should've been a reasonable, well thought out initial post into this circus. OP is 100% correct in his diagram that EXT will soon expand to such a large size. It's a shame that so little on this website have foresight and can comprehend the bigger picture.


:rotfl:

Oh come on, you and the other usernames are kidding nobody here.

Trying to claim that Exeter will 100% soon expand into a six runway mega-hub is literally the most ridiculous thing I've ever read on this forum... and I've read some real away with the faeries ideas over the years. Instead of insults, I suggest you re-read this thread and learn from the posters who have substantiated their critiques and evidenced why this fantasy is geographically, politically and economically impossible.


Is there anything sadder than the jealousy that Plymouth harbours for Exeter? Since 1050 when the first Janners saw Exeter's cathedral plans, they were muttering about how Exeter would never need such a big beautiful building. Here we are almost a thousand years later and it still continues.
 
PlymSpotter
Posts: 10571
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 7:32 am

Re: Future of Exeter Airport

Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:39 pm

FermiParadox wrote:
PlymSpotter wrote:
FermiParadox wrote:
It's truly a shame that so many of the haters have turned what should've been a reasonable, well thought out initial post into this circus. OP is 100% correct in his diagram that EXT will soon expand to such a large size. It's a shame that so little on this website have foresight and can comprehend the bigger picture.


:rotfl:

Oh come on, you and the other usernames are kidding nobody here.

Trying to claim that Exeter will 100% soon expand into a six runway mega-hub is literally the most ridiculous thing I've ever read on this forum... and I've read some real away with the faeries ideas over the years. Instead of insults, I suggest you re-read this thread and learn from the posters who have substantiated their critiques and evidenced why this fantasy is geographically, politically and economically impossible.


Is there anything sadder than the jealousy that Plymouth harbours for Exeter? Since 1050 when the first Janners saw Exeter's cathedral plans, they were muttering about how Exeter would never need such a big beautiful building. Here we are almost a thousand years later and it still continues.


Followed by the most immature post I've seen on here for years.

What are you even trying to achieve here, aside of losing all credibility?
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...
 
FermiParadox
Posts: 83
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:05 pm

Re: Future of Exeter Airport

Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:42 pm

PlymSpotter wrote:
FermiParadox wrote:
PlymSpotter wrote:

:rotfl:

Oh come on, you and the other usernames are kidding nobody here.

Trying to claim that Exeter will 100% soon expand into a six runway mega-hub is literally the most ridiculous thing I've ever read on this forum... and I've read some real away with the faeries ideas over the years. Instead of insults, I suggest you re-read this thread and learn from the posters who have substantiated their critiques and evidenced why this fantasy is geographically, politically and economically impossible.


Is there anything sadder than the jealousy that Plymouth harbours for Exeter? Since 1050 when the first Janners saw Exeter's cathedral plans, they were muttering about how Exeter would never need such a big beautiful building. Here we are almost a thousand years later and it still continues.


Followed by the most immature post I've seen on here for years.

What are you even trying to achieve here, aside of losing all credibility?


You're the one making personal attacks. I have said nothing but data-supported facts within this thread and you've become emotional and, frankly, pathetically jealous of Exeter. It's no surprise but it's just disappointing.
 
PlymSpotter
Posts: 10571
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 7:32 am

Re: Future of Exeter Airport

Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:18 pm

FermiParadox wrote:
PlymSpotter wrote:
FermiParadox wrote:

Is there anything sadder than the jealousy that Plymouth harbours for Exeter? Since 1050 when the first Janners saw Exeter's cathedral plans, they were muttering about how Exeter would never need such a big beautiful building. Here we are almost a thousand years later and it still continues.


Followed by the most immature post I've seen on here for years.

What are you even trying to achieve here, aside of losing all credibility?


You're the one making personal attacks. I have said nothing but data-supported facts within this thread and you've become emotional and, frankly, pathetically jealous of Exeter. It's no surprise but it's just disappointing.


What data supported facts? What personal attacks?

And emotional... well it's the most bemused I've been by a thread on here for some time. Well done :laughing: :spin:
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...
 
nmdrdh787
Posts: 185
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:39 am

Re: Future of Exeter Airport

Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:28 pm

I see no reason for this project, unless someone throws some data in their argument to prove the need.
 
MalevTU134
Posts: 2188
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:04 pm

Re: Future of Exeter Airport

Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:07 pm

MalevTU134 wrote:
FermiParadox wrote:
It's funny that so many are brushing this off as a troll job.

Fact: London airports are basically completely full an unable to expand.

Fact: There is virtually no domestic UK air service

Fact: What domestic UK service exists is largely operated by FlyBe

Fact: FlyBe is headquartered in Exeter

Fact: The UK offers unique geography to offer connections from the US-Europe

Fact: BA have expressed very little interest in carrying connecting passengers and instead focus their energy on high value customers to London

Fact: The Southwest of England offers some of the most beautiful touristic sites you can see in the world

Fact: Brexit will make English tourism more exotic to mainland Europeans and Americans alike

Fact: With no domestic airline service, customers will be forced to fly into London and rent an expensive car to travel without a major airline serving Exeter nonstop from JFK, CDG, DXB, etc.

I'm with OP. There is enormous growth potential that's just being left on the table and I would be willing to bet anyone here real money that within 20 years, Exeter is a major intercontinental travel hub.

If I start the company, will you and the OP invest 9- or 10-digit amounts (£, € or $, your choice) so that this obviously fail-proof project can get off the ground? If so, just PM me and I will send you my account number.

I just checked - no money in my account yet...
 
SCQ83
Posts: 5418
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:32 pm

Re: Future of Exeter Airport

Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:18 pm

No surprise some posters here are jealous. Plymouth could not even maintain flights to London with PLH closed down, and Exeter is on its way of becoming the largest air and space hub in the galaxy. A tale of two cities.
 
User avatar
hOMSaR
Posts: 2219
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:47 am

Re: Future of Exeter Airport

Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:55 pm

AndrewJM70 wrote:
I think you need to be a little more ambitious. Why stop at 6 runways? Why not 10?


That's Phase 2 of the plan.
The plural of Airbus is Airbuses. Airbii is not a word.
There is no 787-800, nor 787-900 or 747-800. It's 787-8, 787-9, and 747-8.
A321neoLR is also unnecessary. It's simply A321LR.
Airplanes don't have isles, they have aisles.
 
WPvsMW
Posts: 2116
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:30 pm

Re: Future of Exeter Airport

Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:56 pm

I can explain this thread is one word: pataphysics.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%27Pataphysics
 
WPvsMW
Posts: 2116
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:30 pm

Re: Future of Exeter Airport

Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:58 pm

FermiParadox wrote:
[...and frankly, pathetically jealous of Exeter.

I warned above about lampooning of the EXE aerotropolis concept by denizens of neighboring catchments.

This thread is a mental health supplement. I have laughed uncontrollably reading it.
 
FermiParadox
Posts: 83
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:05 pm

Re: Future of Exeter Airport

Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:24 pm

nmdrdh787 wrote:
I see no reason for this project, unless someone throws some data in their argument to prove the need.


Please read higher up in the thread where ample facts have been provided to support the thesis.
 
FermiParadox
Posts: 83
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:05 pm

Re: Future of Exeter Airport

Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:29 pm

WPvsMW wrote:
I can explain this thread is one word: pataphysics.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%27Pataphysics


Please do not post in this thread if you are not being serious. It detracts from the rest of us trying to have an adult conversation.
 
PlymSpotter
Posts: 10571
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 7:32 am

Re: Future of Exeter Airport

Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:35 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
No surprise some posters here are jealous. Plymouth could not even maintain flights to London with PLH closed down, and Exeter is on its way of becoming the largest air and space hub in the galaxy. A tale of two cities.


Well it is somewhat difficult to maintain flights without an airport there. :wink2:

I do hope there will be at least an hourly feeder link from EXT to LHR and LGW, or a MAGLEV line. Then by 2038 I can save hours on the M3/A303 when I drive down to see friends in Devon and Cornwall.
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...
 
WPvsMW
Posts: 2116
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:30 pm

Re: Future of Exeter Airport

Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:54 pm

FermiParadox wrote:
WPvsMW wrote:
I can explain this thread is one word: pataphysics.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%27Pataphysics


Please do not post in this thread if you are not being serious. It detracts from the rest of us trying to have an adult conversation.


As a contributing pataphysician, I can offer only imaginary solutions, but on an adult level.
 
nmdrdh787
Posts: 185
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:39 am

Re: Future of Exeter Airport

Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:59 pm

FermiParadox wrote:
nmdrdh787 wrote:
I see no reason for this project, unless someone throws some data in their argument to prove the need.


Please read higher up in the thread where ample facts have been provided to support the thesis.


I don't see anything other than points with no data backing them up.
 
User avatar
EGTESkyGod
Posts: 1523
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:27 pm

Re: Future of Exeter Airport

Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:30 pm

FermiParadox wrote:
Is there anything sadder than the jealousy that Plymouth harbours for Exeter?


I'm not even sure what that post is meant to achieve, but it is almost as ridiculous in itself as the suggestion that it states...

FermiParadox wrote:
OP is 100% correct in his diagram that EXT will soon expand to such a large size. It's a shame that so little on this website have foresight and can comprehend the bigger picture.


Did you read my initial reply? There is simply no room or demand for such an expansion for a second runway, let alone six of them. I worked at Exeter for 7 years, my father worked there from 1998 until he retired this year, I am still in contact with many of my ex-colleagues at EXT, trust me when I say that I have a small idea what goes on there despite the fact I now live on the other side of the planet. Don't get me wrong, I would love Exeter to become a huge hub with connections all over the world, it'll certainly make my life easier every time I come back for visits, but also you have to factor in the demand...

Forget six runways, I can not see that happening certainly in our lifetime. Look at the trouble Heathrow has had for the last 20 years getting a third runway in, do you seriously think that countryside folk are just going to sit back and allow FIVE extra runways at a small rural city's airport? #cmonman

FermiParadox wrote:
I have said nothing but data-supported facts within this thread and you've become emotional and, frankly, pathetically jealous of Exeter. It's no surprise but it's just disappointing.


To be fair, I haven't seen any "Data supported facts" anywhere that suggest such an expansion is viable. As for any jealousy for Plymspotter of Exeter, I don't think so. Our membership here goes back over a decade and he was a regular contributor to posts about Exeter and Plymouth in a positive way, so I cannot see how you think that being realistic over Exeter's future plans is jealousy or emotional.

SCQ83 wrote:
No surprise some posters here are jealous. Plymouth could not even maintain flights to London with PLH closed down, and Exeter is on its way of becoming the largest air and space hub in the galaxy. A tale of two cities.


This gave me a giggle, thank you.

nmdrdh787 wrote:
FermiParadox wrote:
nmdrdh787 wrote:
I see no reason for this project, unless someone throws some data in their argument to prove the need.


Please read higher up in the thread where ample facts have been provided to support the thesis.


I don't see anything other than points with no data backing them up.


Yeah, what he said... No data to back it up, just unrealistic statements.

In closing, I ask this. Why would Exeter need 3, 4, 5 or even 6 runways when busier airports such as Heathrow, Gatwick, Manchester have 2? A third may be on the way at Heathrow but can you really see Exeter's demand outstripping any of those airports? I personally, cannot.
I came, I saw, I Concorde! www.gofundme.com/lineupandwait
 
COIAHLGW
Posts: 159
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2003 10:11 am

Re: Future of Exeter Airport

Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:02 am

Well, I would use an EXT-IAH service once a year... that revenue by itself surely has to be enough to support the route :rotfl:
 
SCQ83
Posts: 5418
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:32 pm

Re: Future of Exeter Airport

Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:06 am

PlymSpotter wrote:
SCQ83 wrote:
No surprise some posters here are jealous. Plymouth could not even maintain flights to London with PLH closed down, and Exeter is on its way of becoming the largest air and space hub in the galaxy. A tale of two cities.


Well it is somewhat difficult to maintain flights without an airport there. :wink2:

I do hope there will be at least an hourly feeder link from EXT to LHR and LGW, or a MAGLEV line. Then by 2038 I can save hours on the M3/A303 when I drive down to see friends in Devon and Cornwall.


You are seriously out of touch with the reality. Maglev? Do you think this is China 2005? An Hyperloop will connect NQY, EXT, CWL and BRS with intermediate stops in Truro and Torquay... no need to stop in Plymouth.
 
PlymSpotter
Posts: 10571
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 7:32 am

Re: Future of Exeter Airport

Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:22 am

SCQ83 wrote:
PlymSpotter wrote:
SCQ83 wrote:
No surprise some posters here are jealous. Plymouth could not even maintain flights to London with PLH closed down, and Exeter is on its way of becoming the largest air and space hub in the galaxy. A tale of two cities.


Well it is somewhat difficult to maintain flights without an airport there. :wink2:

I do hope there will be at least an hourly feeder link from EXT to LHR and LGW, or a MAGLEV line. Then by 2038 I can save hours on the M3/A303 when I drive down to see friends in Devon and Cornwall.


You are seriously out of touch with the reality. Maglev? Do you think this is China 2005? An Hyperloop will connect NQY, EXT, CWL and BRS with intermediate stops in Truro and Torquay... no need to stop in Plymouth.


That's fine with me - once I arrive at EXT I'll be picking up one of those seriously expensive hire cars to drive to the North Coast.
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...
 
User avatar
EGTESkyGod
Posts: 1523
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:27 pm

Re: Future of Exeter Airport

Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:13 am

SCQ83 wrote:
You are seriously out of touch with the reality. Maglev? Do you think this is China 2005? An Hyperloop will connect NQY, EXT, CWL and BRS with intermediate stops in Truro and Torquay... no need to stop in Plymouth.


I like this guy, he's funny! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
I came, I saw, I Concorde! www.gofundme.com/lineupandwait
 
Cunard
Posts: 2509
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:45 pm

Re: Future of Exeter Airport

Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:21 am

FermiParadox wrote:
PlymSpotter wrote:
FermiParadox wrote:
It's truly a shame that so many of the haters have turned what should've been a reasonable, well thought out initial post into this circus. OP is 100% correct in his diagram that EXT will soon expand to such a large size. It's a shame that so little on this website have foresight and can comprehend the bigger picture.


:rotfl:

Oh come on, you and the other usernames are kidding nobody here.

Trying to claim that Exeter will 100% soon expand into a six runway mega-hub is literally the most ridiculous thing I've ever read on this forum... and I've read some real away with the faeries ideas over the years. Instead of insults, I suggest you re-read this thread and learn from the posters who have substantiated their critiques and evidenced why this fantasy is geographically, politically and economically impossible.


Is there anything sadder than the jealousy that Plymouth harbours for Exeter? Since 1050 when the first Janners saw Exeter's cathedral plans, they were muttering about how Exeter would never need such a big beautiful building. Here we are almost a thousand years later and it still continues.


And you still continue to have your ridiculous rants with plymspotter with your utterly immature replies, I'm sorry but how old are you!
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.
 
FermiParadox
Posts: 83
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:05 pm

Re: Future of Exeter Airport

Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:14 pm

Cunard wrote:
FermiParadox wrote:
PlymSpotter wrote:

:rotfl:

Oh come on, you and the other usernames are kidding nobody here.

Trying to claim that Exeter will 100% soon expand into a six runway mega-hub is literally the most ridiculous thing I've ever read on this forum... and I've read some real away with the faeries ideas over the years. Instead of insults, I suggest you re-read this thread and learn from the posters who have substantiated their critiques and evidenced why this fantasy is geographically, politically and economically impossible.


Is there anything sadder than the jealousy that Plymouth harbours for Exeter? Since 1050 when the first Janners saw Exeter's cathedral plans, they were muttering about how Exeter would never need such a big beautiful building. Here we are almost a thousand years later and it still continues.


And you still continue to have your ridiculous rants with plymspotter with your utterly immature replies, I'm sorry but how old are you!


Ah yes, the very mature response of "R U A KID LOL".

Try to have a substantial argument next time. Thanks.
 
User avatar
EGTESkyGod
Posts: 1523
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:27 pm

Re: Future of Exeter Airport

Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:03 pm

FermiParadox wrote:
Cunard wrote:
FermiParadox wrote:

Is there anything sadder than the jealousy that Plymouth harbours for Exeter? Since 1050 when the first Janners saw Exeter's cathedral plans, they were muttering about how Exeter would never need such a big beautiful building. Here we are almost a thousand years later and it still continues.


And you still continue to have your ridiculous rants with plymspotter with your utterly immature replies, I'm sorry but how old are you!


Ah yes, the very mature response of "R U A KID LOL".

Try to have a substantial argument next time. Thanks.


Mate, have a look at yourself... You've been spewing rubbish about "Plymouth have always been jealous of Exeter"... Can you call that a "substantial argument"?

I have stated in my responses the reasons why 6 runways is an unrealistic prospect at Exeter, and why even extending the single one they currently have there cannot reasonably be done. I have first hand experience of operations at Exeter airport. So far I am yet to see anything from you that refutes that.

I've reached out to you via PM to try and understand your position and thinking, and I am also trying to be friendly about it. But your last post isn't exactly covering yourself in glory. This isn't an attack, but mate... have a think.
I came, I saw, I Concorde! www.gofundme.com/lineupandwait
 
WPvsMW
Posts: 2116
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:30 pm

Re: Future of Exeter Airport

Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:43 am

He's a paradox. Now I get it.
 
peterinlisbon
Posts: 1564
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:37 am

Re: Future of Exeter Airport

Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:06 pm

Maybe Exeter can replace Heathrow if they build those 6 runways. Just a two hour drive from London, people won't mind.
 
User avatar
EGTESkyGod
Posts: 1523
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:27 pm

Re: Future of Exeter Airport

Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:59 pm

FermiParadox wrote:
WPvsMW wrote:
I can explain this thread is one word: pataphysics.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%27Pataphysics


Please do not post in this thread if you are not being serious. It detracts from the rest of us trying to have an adult conversation.


In the interests of adult conversation, have you managed to come up with any data supported facts yet? Or is this thread done and you have conceded that what others have said is correct?
I came, I saw, I Concorde! www.gofundme.com/lineupandwait
 
User avatar
lightsaber
Moderator
Posts: 18303
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:55 pm

Re: Future of Exeter Airport

Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:34 pm

chunhimlai wrote:
StTim wrote:
6 Runways? You are having a laugh aren't you?

The south west of England is beautiful - but it is also one of the most economically depressed areas of the UK. No way could Exeter support such an airport.


As you say, southwest england has a lot of geographical attraction and it can attract enough tourists

London needs a six runway airport. There is so much natural business being pushed away. LHR couldn't be expanded to six, but four is reasonable. The whole reason the ME3 bloomed is lack of capacity to expanding markets.

Look at everywhere in the world with large populations below the middle class and you are looking at future growth.
Will London banks collect fees to finance? That takes air travel and hotels.
Will London attract them as tourists? That takes air travel. It takes air travel for RR to sell engines that power air travel...

It amused me how so many cities want jobs to bypass them. You must have efficient logistics to compete (airports being the highest value component).

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.
 
WPvsMW
Posts: 2116
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:30 pm

Re: Future of Exeter Airport

Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:47 am

If ORD is cramped with EIGHT runways, LON needs 16.
http://www.boldmethod.com/blog/lists/20 ... t-runways/

LHR has 2. STN has 1. LGW has 2. Add noise restrictions. LON is underserved. Needs 12 more runways, preferrably not 42 miles (STN) or 30 miles (LGW) from the City.
Not counting LCY for obvious reasons ... WBs rule.

Last time I checked EXE was ~200 miles from LHR.

Given the investment in LHR, the only solution is to cover the reservoirs W of LHR and put 12 runways on the lids. Makes for a shorter trip to Oxford. ;)
 
zakuivcustom
Posts: 2849
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:32 am

Re: Future of Exeter Airport

Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:58 am

WPvsMW wrote:
If ORD is cramped with EIGHT runways, LON needs 16.
http://www.boldmethod.com/blog/lists/20 ... t-runways/

LHR has 2. STN has 1. LGW has 2. Add noise restrictions. LON is underserved. Needs 12 more runways, preferrably not 42 miles (STN) or 30 miles (LGW) from the City.
Not counting LCY for obvious reasons ... WBs rule.

Last time I checked EXE was ~200 miles from LHR.

Given the investment in LHR, the only solution is to cover the reservoirs W of LHR and put 12 runways on the lids. Makes for a shorter trip to Oxford. ;)


Meh, easier to just reclaim the entire Thames estuary and build a 12-runway, mega-size Boris Island, and turn the section of Thames through London into a lake.

EXT could still be expand into THE mega Ryanair hub, though. Ryanair can then consolidate all its London operations at Exeter-London Southwest Airport.
Free Hong Kong! Free China!
 
WPvsMW
Posts: 2116
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:30 pm

Re: Future of Exeter Airport

Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:35 pm

That plan for the Thames would make the War of the Roses PLUS Brexit PLUS Roundheads vs. Cavaliers look like a dress rehearsal. :roll:
Easier politically to lid the reservoirs, without considering the existing infrastructure already at LHR.
 
User avatar
EGTESkyGod
Posts: 1523
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:27 pm

Re: Future of Exeter Airport

Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:28 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:
Meh, easier to just reclaim the entire Thames estuary and build a 12-runway, mega-size Boris Island, and turn the section of Thames through London into a lake.

EXT could still be expand into THE mega Ryanair hub, though. Ryanair can then consolidate all its London operations at Exeter-London Southwest Airport.


I was about to launch into a rant about Ryanair taking over a Flybe hub, but then I realised you were clearly joking.
I came, I saw, I Concorde! www.gofundme.com/lineupandwait
 
WPvsMW
Posts: 2116
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:30 pm

Re: Future of Exeter Airport

Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:50 am

200 miles of joking.
 
Cunard
Posts: 2509
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:45 pm

Re: Future of Exeter Airport

Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:52 am

I think everyone is under the same opinion that this has to be the most ridiculous and totally pointless thread of the year so please MODS can you lock it ASAP as I can't believe that it hasn't yet.
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.
 
User avatar
EGTESkyGod
Posts: 1523
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:27 pm

Re: Future of Exeter Airport

Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:10 pm

Cunard wrote:
I think everyone is under the same opinion that this has to be the most ridiculous and totally pointless thread of the year so please MODS can you lock it ASAP as I can't believe that it hasn't yet.


I don't think the thread is ridiculous, I quite enjoy discussing how Exeter could/might get busier and bigger. The suggestion that it would someday need 6 runways is the ridiculous part. I, for one, have tried to get discussion going of how it could expand realistically, and what possibilities it may have considering the obvious constraints.
I came, I saw, I Concorde! www.gofundme.com/lineupandwait
 
kavok
Posts: 604
Joined: Wed May 11, 2016 10:12 pm

Re: Future of Exeter Airport

Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:36 am

With the dominance of BA/One World at LHR... and with the DL/VS partnership looking to expand TATL service to the USA, perhaps we could see a DL/VS flight to EXT given their LHR slot limitations.

Based on some of the material posted in other Anet threads, the logical DL/VS inaugural flight to EXT would be AUS. As reported, AUS is the new major player where DL will be expanding rapidly. Given the BA advantage at LHR, DL/VS may not want to compete there, and thus chose to launch AUS-EXT instead.
 
WPvsMW
Posts: 2116
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:30 pm

Re: Future of Exeter Airport

Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:38 am

AUS/MAN is much more likely than AUS/EXE as a market-pair. EXE isn't viable as a LON reliever, it's 200 miles away, and lacks acceptable ground transport to the City.
 
User avatar
EGTESkyGod
Posts: 1523
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:27 pm

Re: Future of Exeter Airport

Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:46 am

EGTESkyGod wrote:
zakuivcustom wrote:
Meh, easier to just reclaim the entire Thames estuary and build a 12-runway, mega-size Boris Island, and turn the section of Thames through London into a lake.

EXT could still be expand into THE mega Ryanair hub, though. Ryanair can then consolidate all its London operations at Exeter-London Southwest Airport.


I was about to launch into a rant about Ryanair taking over a Flybe hub, but then I realised you were clearly joking.


Aaaand Ryanair just announced routes from Exeter. It begins!
I came, I saw, I Concorde! www.gofundme.com/lineupandwait
 
transPac
Posts: 107
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2004 12:59 pm

Re: Future of Exeter Airport

Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:50 am

EGTESkyGod wrote:
EGTESkyGod wrote:
zakuivcustom wrote:
Meh, easier to just reclaim the entire Thames estuary and build a 12-runway, mega-size Boris Island, and turn the section of Thames through London into a lake.

EXT could still be expand into THE mega Ryanair hub, though. Ryanair can then consolidate all its London operations at Exeter-London Southwest Airport.


I was about to launch into a rant about Ryanair taking over a Flybe hub, but then I realised you were clearly joking.


Aaaand Ryanair just announced routes from Exeter. It begins!


Great news! With this announcement in mind, how long until FR order the 748i?
 
User avatar
EGTESkyGod
Posts: 1523
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:27 pm

Re: Future of Exeter Airport

Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:15 am

transPac wrote:
EGTESkyGod wrote:
EGTESkyGod wrote:

I was about to launch into a rant about Ryanair taking over a Flybe hub, but then I realised you were clearly joking.


Aaaand Ryanair just announced routes from Exeter. It begins!


Great news! With this announcement in mind, how long until FR order the 748i?


:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :stirthepot: :stirthepot: :stirthepot: :stirthepot:

I'd say around the same time Exeter completes construction of the fifth runway (out of six).
I came, I saw, I Concorde! www.gofundme.com/lineupandwait
 
User avatar
flyingclrs727
Posts: 2475
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:44 am

Re: Future of Exeter Airport

Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:21 am

A 13,000 to 14,000 by 200 foot runway would be great for Stratolaunch operations.
 
zakuivcustom
Posts: 2849
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:32 am

Re: Future of Exeter Airport

Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:31 am

EGTESkyGod wrote:
EGTESkyGod wrote:
zakuivcustom wrote:
Meh, easier to just reclaim the entire Thames estuary and build a 12-runway, mega-size Boris Island, and turn the section of Thames through London into a lake.

EXT could still be expand into THE mega Ryanair hub, though. Ryanair can then consolidate all its London operations at Exeter-London Southwest Airport.


I was about to launch into a rant about Ryanair taking over a Flybe hub, but then I realised you were clearly joking.


Aaaand Ryanair just announced routes from Exeter. It begins!


Yep, a battle of dominance of the most important airport in UK thus begin between Ryanair and Flybe.

transPac wrote:
Great news! With this announcement in mind, how long until FR order the 748i?


748i? Too small for Ryanair. Plus A380-900neoXLR has much better CASM than that outdated 748i.
Free Hong Kong! Free China!
 
Cunard
Posts: 2509
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:45 pm

Re: Future of Exeter Airport

Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:36 am

Is this pathetic thread still active, WHY I ask myself!
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.
 
User avatar
EGTESkyGod
Posts: 1523
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:27 pm

Re: Future of Exeter Airport

Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:38 am

Cunard wrote:
Is this pathetic thread still active, WHY I ask myself!


Because you continue to contribute to it...

So let's try to make it a serious one from here...

With the announcement of Ryanair beginning services from EXT, what does the future hold for EXT? It seems to be only 6 flights a week for now, do we think expansion of Ryanair services to Germany, France and other European destinations from EXT is viable? What effect will this have on Flybe?
I came, I saw, I Concorde! www.gofundme.com/lineupandwait
 
User avatar
PatrickZ80
Posts: 3944
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:33 am

Re: Future of Exeter Airport

Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:25 am

EGTESkyGod wrote:
What effect will this have on Flybe?


Not much effect I think. So far Ryanair is only serving destinations out of Exeter that Flybe doesn't serve. Even if they grow, Exeter is only a small hub for Flybe. They may have to shift some flights to other airports, but that's it.
 
bhxdtw
Posts: 1136
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:28 pm

Re: Future of Exeter Airport

Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:28 am

I'm excited for these developments !

Exeter is certainly in a beautiful area of England and I'm glad that plans are being thought of and possibly developed for the future.

I can see Ryanair opening more routes and a transatlantic route network much the same as Norwegian has. Perhaps Primera and Norwegian will then be able to open routes in competition.

At the very least, some very reasonable points are being raised and the OP has allowed us to think more openly about what was once a non starter idea.

Thanks for getting us thinking !
 
User avatar
EGTESkyGod
Posts: 1523
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:27 pm

Re: Future of Exeter Airport

Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:56 am

PatrickZ80 wrote:
EGTESkyGod wrote:
What effect will this have on Flybe?


Not much effect I think. So far Ryanair is only serving destinations out of Exeter that Flybe doesn't serve. Even if they grow, Exeter is only a small hub for Flybe. They may have to shift some flights to other airports, but that's it.


Well, there's EXT-Malaga?

Exeter is a pretty major hub for Flybe. The maintenance is done there, the airline is based there. I'm not saying it's huge, but it's a big part of Flybe's strategy and has been since the days of being Jersey European.

What I am asking is if the new competition may lead to other airlines servicing Exeter? And if so, what could that mean for Westcountry air links?
I came, I saw, I Concorde! www.gofundme.com/lineupandwait
 
SCQ83
Posts: 5418
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:32 pm

Re: Future of Exeter Airport

Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:01 am

Is this the first time ever Ryanair fly to Exeter?

It is interesting one of the three "sun routes" they launch is NAP. Málaga and Malta are very typical, but somehow Naples is an oddball. A few years ago they would have launched Alicante, Palma or Faro. Definitely NAP (United, TAP) is booming.
 
VFRonTop
Posts: 311
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:02 pm

Re: Future of Exeter Airport

Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:58 am

Air France currently has a codeshare on EXT-CDG which offers connections but prices are quite high. I wonder would KLM codeshare onAMS or even launch a cityhopper service themselves?
 
Tommo4828
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:38 pm

Re: Future of Exeter Airport

Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:53 am

Worldways/Air Transat used to fly the DC8/A310 during the summer time to various places in Canada. Prehaps Norwegian/Primera could provide a twice weekly service?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos