dfwjim1
Topic Author

Southwest Airline crews still funny?

Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:46 pm

Unfortunately I have not flown on WN since 2011 as I am a FF with American Airlines. Just curious if WN crews are still just as friendly and fun living as they used to be? Or has the age and growth of WN caused their crews to become a bit more serious in the way they go about their duties?

Thanks for your responses.

phatfarmlines

Re: Southwest Airline crews still funny?

Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:55 pm

On a recent flight with WN, the flight attendants made an announcement for all passengers to lower the window shades and press the call buttons above. All passengers were to sing Happy Birthday, WN-style to the wife of the FO traveling in the cabin. After this was done, the "candles" (aka call buttons) were pressed again to disengage the PSU light. So to answer your question, yes, they still got it!

smokeybandit

Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:00 pm

They actually staged a wedding recently on a LAS-BWI flight.

Surely someone who wants to get married in air has to be a member of a.net.

tomaheath

Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:03 pm

We also had to “blow out the candles” on one of my last WN flights. The other 3 legs of that trip were great cabin and airport were were great. This was last November.

EA CO AS

Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:18 pm

They were never funny to begin with.

Corny, yes. Funny, not so much. ;)
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

SRQLOT

Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:25 pm

They are usually my first choice 3-5 times a year, and yes they are funny or silly, or at least kind with a smile. My last flight to Vegas there was inconsistency in service, the young male FA wasn’t into his job. Overall still my preferred airline.
LO LH CL BA AZ WN UA DL AA B6 NK
WAW KRK FRA LGW FCO ORD MDW LAS DFW ATL RDU BNA BHM BOS DTW FLL MCO RSW TPA SRQ
717 737-300/700/800/900/MAX8 747-400 757-200/300 767-300 787-8 319 320 321 330-300 MD-90 BAE146 CRJ900 Q400 E195 Piper Archer Cessna 152

m007j

Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:50 pm

Toilet paper races were had on my last one, the Disney shuttle from BWI-MCO last winter. Of course my column had all the kids in it so they weren't tall enough to keep the roll going and we came dead last

deltatim

Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:04 pm

Cheerful is nice, corny is not. Sometimes I just like to sit down and have a nice quiet flight, and when they start doing cutesy contests it can grate on one's nerves...

BravoOne

Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:21 pm

Some are exceptionally funny, but most them should not quit their daytime jobs. At times it can be very annoying and not the least bit funny.

southwest1675

Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:21 pm

Herb's little airline died after the AirTran deal. No doubt, they're still a great carrier, but the culture certainly changed some. I do believe WN has some of the best people.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

WPvsMW

Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:30 pm

BravoOne wrote:
Some are exceptionally funny, but most them should not quit their daytime jobs. At times it can be very annoying and not the least bit funny.

And there's the conundrum... it is their daytime job.

spinotter

Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:36 pm

EA CO AS wrote:

It is a perfect way to reduce the tension and anxiety accompanying every airline flight in the world of 2018, and also to show that the WN flight attendants are human beings and not the surly robots of AA (or UA, whichever you prefer). DL has semi-human beings so I won't include them.

zrs70

Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:49 pm

I find that the first time I hear a funny/corny safety routine, it is hilarious.

The second time, it feels stale.

The third time it is annoying.

I would imagine that the occasional Flyer really enjoys it. But the regular flyer cringes when he/she hears it
19 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2019

OzarkD9S

Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:57 pm

I find it hit and miss these days. A few genuinely funny ones, some smarmy ones and most are friendly/professional and let their natural personalities shine through. I did experience one not too long ago on an MKE-STL flight my travelling companion and I nicknamed "Lady Vader" as she was somewhat stern and certainly scary in demeanor.
"True, I talk of dreams,
Which are the children of an idle brain." -Mercutio

F27500

Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:10 pm

… the queen who danced during his demo … the other queen who thought she was Joan Rivers …. the rapper … the stupid jokes … the overused WN "cuteness" …. I think it's unprofessional. And these are not people who pax will look to in an emergency as authority figures.

It really ain't cute. And for the record, I'm a gay man too so when "my people" manage to embarrass me .. its pretty bad.

alggag

Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:20 pm

It's been a while since I've seen a comedy routine on a WN flight. Friendly but professional on all my flights with them in the last few years.

chrisair

Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:24 pm

Just anecdotal evidence but after the window incident, the humor has been toned down a little.

EA CO AS wrote:

At least they're present in the cabin, unlike some of your Team members who hide in the Airbus galleys and complain about everything. ;)

ridgid727

Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:47 pm

On a recent WN flight from SLC-LAX, as the cabin was being prepared, the pilot called all staff to the front. All were women, and she announced we were on a "manless" operated flight. Was kinda cute, and everyone on board seemed to enjoy the distraction.

cofannyc

Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:15 am

It seems to me too that the "funny" group have the world's worst timing. I seem to only have them on flights before 8am when everyone is still asleep (and long announcements are not welcome) or on short haul flights where their longer (and supposedly funnier) announcements take up a larger proportion of the flying time.

cofannyc

Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:16 am

It seems to me too that the "funny" group have the world's worst timing. I seem to only have them on flights before 7am when everyone is still asleep (and long announcements are not welcome) or on short haul flights where their longer (and supposedly funnier) announcements take up a larger proportion of the flying time.

WNerWNerPnutdnr

Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:17 am

cofannyc wrote:
It seems to me too that the "funny" group have the world's worst timing. I seem to only have them on flights before 7am when everyone is still asleep (and long announcements are not welcome) or on short haul flights where their longer (and supposedly funnier) announcements take up a larger proportion of the flying time.

:roll: It’s a shame folks can’t please everyone isn’t it?
We have a strategic plan, it’s called doing things.....

WNerWNerPnutdnr

Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:26 am

:P
southwest1675 wrote:
Herb's little airline died after the AirTran deal. No doubt, they're still a great carrier, but the culture certainly changed some. I do believe WN has some of the best people.

:checkmark:

Really didn’t die. Just growing pains.....
Last edited by WNerWNerPnutdnr on Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

greendot

Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:35 am

dfwjim1 wrote:
Or has the age and growth of WN caused their crews to become a bit more serious in the way they go about their duties?

Thanks for your responses.

Well, AA is like a funeral.

cofannyc

Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:40 am

WNerWNerPnutdnr wrote:

I'm not saying there's not a time and place, but know your audience. 3 Mondays every month I take the 6:05 am LGA to DAL flight. I recognize about half of the passengers as we all seem to be business commuters to Dallas and the remainder are certainly not heading on vacation or flying for the first time. Everyone is trying to sleep or work.

A Saturday flight to MCO? Entertain away. A flight designed to cater to the business traveler (which WN continues to push hard to gain more market share with)? Not so much.

bgm

Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:25 am

Yep, they all take their daily Southwest prescribed Prozac so they still try to be funny.
████ ███ █ ███████ ██ █ █████ ██ ████ [redacted]

spinotter

Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:40 am

cofannyc wrote:
WNerWNerPnutdnr wrote:

I'm not saying there's not a time and place, but know your audience. 3 Mondays every month I take the 6:05 am LGA to DAL flight. I recognize about half of the passengers as we all seem to be business commuters to Dallas and the remainder are certainly not heading on vacation or flying for the first time. Everyone is trying to sleep or work.

A Saturday flight to MCO? Entertain away. A flight designed to cater to the business traveler (which WN continues to push hard to gain more market share with)? Not so much.

I agree somewhat. But can't you even stand ten minutes of humor, of whatever caliber, at the beginning of the flight before you turn into the fearless road warrior that I'm sure you are, fighting all our capitalistic battles for the benefit of humanity?

indcwby

Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:49 am

On June 18th, we sang Happy Birthday before landing into BNA. Also, flying back to HOU this past Friday, we had nonstop turbulence. Flight crew was very apologetic as he tried as high as 40K to as low as 18K from Dallas. When we landed, cabin crew welcome us to Houston Hobby and stated something of the sort of "This Dallas based crew would like to welcome you into Houston Hobby. We apologize for the bumpy ride, but sadly it's because of Houston's humidity and smugness." It's all good and jest.
A319, A320, A330, A340, B717, B727, B737, B747, B757, B767, B777, CRJ7, DC10, MD88, MD11, E145, E175
"Always remember that you fly an airplane with your head, not your hands."

Super80Fan

Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:56 am

I've had a couple of funny crews every now and then, usually with a joke added on to their mid-flight announcement or after landing. It's been a while though since I've had a singing crew. Unfortunately many of the crews I've had lately are "business" crews, who are all business and even made my recent Delta/American flights seem more fun. Yes they still exist but they are becoming more and more rare.
RIP McDonnell Douglas
RIP US Airways

Gasman

Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:05 am

I recently had the (dis)pleasure of flying WS for the first time. They were clearly trying to emulate WN by being all jokesy and funny but on both my flights they only succeeded in making 170 passengers simultaneously cringe.

I love WN. Reliable, adequate hard product, great fares and they get the mix of friendliness and professionalism just right.

WNerWNerPnutdnr

Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:10 am

Super80Fan wrote:
I've had a couple of funny crews every now and then, usually with a joke added on to their mid-flight announcement or after landing. It's been a while though since I've had a singing crew. Unfortunately many of the crews I've had lately are "business" crews, who are all business and even made my recent Delta/American flights seem more fun. Yes they still exist but they are becoming more and more rare.

To be fair, in light of the recent accident, it was widely felt, and communicated, that humor in certain areas, would not be appropriate for a while - for obvious reasons and out of respect. We haven’t lost our heart or our spirit, it’s just going to take a while to get our Mojo back :brokenheart:

texas145

Favorite One

Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:27 am

One of my favorites: ~Ding~ "Folks, that sound means we've been cleared for takeoff. Double check your seatbelts, captain is gonna try somethin' new this morning."
A clear conscience is a great pillow.

CO953

Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:35 am

I've never had a bad experience on WN, as far as cabin crew. At the risk of tickling over-sensitive political nerves, I'd say that they have succeeded, so far, in pushing a pro-customer ethic among their employees which reminds me of Chick-Fil-A ... in that, I usually feel well-treated when I leave both establishments. I hope no one will indulge in cheap political jerking. Fact is that SWA still does well.

Cubsrule

Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:45 am

WNerWNerPnutdnr wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:

To be fair, in light of the recent accident, it was widely felt, and communicated, that humor in certain areas, would not be appropriate for a while - for obvious reasons and out of respect. We haven’t lost our heart or our spirit, it’s just going to take a while to get our Mojo back :brokenheart:

As a (frequent) passenger, I haven’t noticed much difference on the humor front. Perhaps a quarter of f/as go off script during the safety briefing. Half of those who do are funny (that means half aren’t). I have noticed a little more emphasis on oxygen masks going over nose and mouth.
Last edited by Cubsrule on Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

26point2

Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:45 am

Friendly? Yes. Funny? No....and I like funny. SW crew humor is lame at best.

usxguy

Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:51 am

A handful of friends work for WN. They said it depends on the crew on the trip & also the crowd (pax). The company still gives the FAs a lot of wiggle room, but the sheer size of WN means a bit fewer and fewer cabin clowns.

My last WN flight was almost a year ago, DAL to MCO and the lead FA did a few cute jokes.

On a side note, I had quite the funny crew on SkyWest from SNA to SEA a few weeks ago.
xx

Super80Fan

Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:19 am

WNerWNerPnutdnr wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:

Yep completely understand that. Although I will add almost every single one of my WN crews before the AirTran merger were hilarious or sung, especially on flights into/out of MCO. After the AirTran merger and growth of the fleet It's become more and more rare in my experience, although I still get a crew every now and then that is humorous or goes out of their way to make sure we have an enjoyable flight and I personally thank them along with sending in a note to WN customer service to recognize them for keeping the "Southwest Spirit" alive.
RIP McDonnell Douglas
RIP US Airways

HeeseokKoo

Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:42 am

I thought this is related to the PC culture. Back then, we saw halloween or Christmas decorations on many airport podiums. They're all gone and I thought this was partly PC. Jokes, too. WN FAs are still always try to brighten the mood, but the number of jokes clearly went down.

Not only WN, even at workplace or school, we say much less jokes than late 2000s. It's really hard to say something spontaneously when we can't make sure what we say won't offend any of million different cultures/circumstances. There's no funny race jokes anymore - all are racism by now. Workplace harassment seminars make us to shut up unless we have to.

UGA777

Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:40 am

[url][/url]
southwest1675 wrote:

A lot of people in Atlanta feel like the qualities of AirTran died when Southwest bought them. I purposely avoid them now if I can. Every time I've flown WN since AirTran was gone; it was late flights, incredibly slow wifi, lost bags, the list goes on. AirTran was a much better airline in my opinion and I know a lot of people in Atl feel the same way. Take a look at the Atl schedule now compared to what it used to be with AirTran. It's a fraction of the flights and a sliver of the nonstop destinations. I still ask everyday what positive impact this had on Atl? I've yet to find many answers to that question.

san88

Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:44 am

Subtle jokes are the most common. The full on comedy routine are few these days. Most FAs know their crowd and routes. You’ll find most jokes on Vacation / Leisure routes. SWA has asked FAs to be mindful and tasteful with jokes since SWA 1380.
sit on the Captain side when you fly into SAN

AbigailWT

Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:19 pm

Hearing "Lost Wages" as a placeholder for my home town a dozen times per flight *every time* I take WN into LAS has gotten really, really, really............................ really old. Friendly? sure. Fun loving? why not. Obnoxious? most of the time.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos