OA940
Topic Author

Ethiopian wants to start four airlines before the year's end

Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:49 pm

http://aviationweek.com/awincommercial/ ... t-carriers

ET has revealed they want to launch 4 airlines in Chad, Zambia, Guinea and Mozambique before the end of 2018 (as one does). There had been talk about Zambia Airways before, but ET now says they want to launch the airline before the end of June (aka in 4 days) and to start operations in October. The rest is paywalled so I can't read it but I think this is enough. As much as I'm excited to see new airlines this seems... ambitious.
A350/CSeries = bae

MalevTU134

Re: Ethiopian wants to start four airlines before the year's end

Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:57 pm

OA940 wrote:
http://aviationweek.com/awincommercial/ethiopian-airlines-launch-four-start-carriers

ET has revealed they want to launch 4 airlines in Chad, Zambia, Guinea and Mozambique before the end of 2018 (as one does). There had been talk about Zambia Airways before, but ET now says they want to launch the airline before the end of June (aka in 4 days) and to start operations in October. The rest is paywalled so I can't read it but I think this is enough. As much as I'm excited to see new airlines this seems... ambitious.

I really have zero information about those markets. But Chad and Guinea?... Sounds odd to me. ET usually knows what they are doing, and hopefully they have done their homework, learning lessons from the likes of SR and EY.

Spiderguy252

Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:23 pm

Ethiopian fly nearly anywhere in Africa with a runway, and have airlines operating under them as well.

However, a significant hole in their network on the continent is in the North - there are no flights to Algeria / Morocco / Tunisia, etc. What's with that?
Vahroone

OA940
Topic Author

Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:24 pm

Spiderguy252 wrote:
Ethiopian fly nearly anywhere in Africa with a runway, and have airlines operating under them as well.

However, a significant hole in their network on the continent is in the North - there are no flights to Algeria / Morocco / Tunisia, etc. What's with that?

I assume because those markets as covered significantly better compared to Chad, Guinea, Zambia and Mozambique.
A350/CSeries = bae

Tailwinds13

Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:48 pm

Spiderguy252 wrote:

It seems that North Africans are covered well by their regional brands such as RAM, Tunisair, Egypt Air. Additionally, most traffic from North Africa is Europe-bound, just a hop north on routes well covered by both North African and European airlines. Ethiopian’s hub is probably of little to no use for North African flyers nor would it probably be enough to yield a good enough LF for a widebody.

asuflyer

Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:22 pm

The main reasons why ET does this is to gain more bilateral access throughout Africa, as not all countries are part of the Single African Air Transport Market yet. ET does this by partnering with the local governments/investors like they did with Asky and Malawian Airlines. They train the local crews in Addis and have even lower cost structures than their own. Now that ET will be receiving more 737MAX and DH4's they can offload some of their older fleet to these airlines. Zambia and Mocambique make a lot of sense, Guinea is growing, while Chad would seem more challenging, nevertheless, ET's planning and expansion are usually well researched, planned and organized and not over-ambitious like EY.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos